IGNORED

Government Response to Coronavirus: With Pence in Charge, We're Doomed

GreyhoundFan

On 2/29/2020 at 7:03 PM, Dandruff said:

I've been doing some precautionary shopping and have noticed shelves largely empty of gallons of water (but still stocked with smaller bottles), no masks, few to no gloves, no hand sanitizer (but I see Amazon still has some), thin stocks of cold and some other medicines, and fewer canned goods on the shelves than usual. 

We have done some precautionary shopping as well.  Reorganized the freezer to hold just meat and veggies.  Got extra canned goods, local store not running out yet but did get the last package of gloves on the shelf. 

It seems so weird to be doing this but better to be prepared than not.  Not panicking and I will use everything....eventually.

• Upvote 9

I am near King County, Washington, so we are getting updates locally.  Just a few random observations.  My mother-in-law's assisted living facility is on quasi-lockdown.  That means no field trips for the residents, and a request for no visitors.  This is a sensible precaution, but also a pain as my mother-in-law can't figure out how to make or receive phone calls.  (We have to go through the front desk to track her down--no big deal given the circumstances.) 

We were at a Home Depot store for plumbing supplies yesterday.  A bunch of people had crossed the parking lot from Costco to purchase sanitary wipes, various disinfectants, etc., since Costco had apparently run out.  The Home Depot employees were on ladders getting more supplies for the groups of people coming in.

Interesting times.  We are making do with what we have and hope the virus burns out soon.  Unfortunately, we have booked several trips by air and are now going, hmmmm...

• Upvote 6
  • Love 2

@CTRLZero I hope it fades soon too.  My mom is similarly in a retirement home in Santa Clara County, CA which is another place having community spread.  I'm supposed to go visit in a month -- will decide last minute depending on the situation at that time.

• Upvote 5

This sudden postponement, the changes to the CDC website removing info on how many people have been tested, and the afternoon briefing with Pence makes me think that they've been blindsided by something and are scrambling on how to spin it.

CDC abruptly postpones coronavirus press briefing

The CDC today abruptly postponed a press briefing on the coronavirus response.

CDC spokesperson Ben Haynes told reporters on the scheduled call that it had been pushed back and did not provide an explanation as to why or when it would be rescheduled. A White House spokesperson later said the CDC would participate in an afternoon briefing today on the coronavirus response with Vice President Mike Pence.

The postponement of the briefing comes after a number of states reported new cases over the weekend and federal officials confirmed the country’s first and second deaths from the virus. CDC has been holding sporadic telephone briefings with reporters, including a call on Saturday after the first death in the U.S. was announced.

CDC Director Robert Redfield told POLITICO last week that his agency intended to continue holding the calls and briefing the press as the coronavirus response evolves.

The CDC today also removed information on its website that detailed how many people in the country had been tested for the virus. It now only displays the number of confirmed cases. CDC has not yet responded to a request for comment.

Forty-three people in the U.S. have tested positive for the virus so far, including at least half a dozen people in Washington state who became infected at a long-term care facility.

Could it be due to the fact that the CDC ignored WHO guidelines and issued their own tests, that are so flawed they had to tell hospitals not to use them? 

NY doctor crushes Trump administration for being way behind on coronavirus preparation

An emergency room doctor who works at New York-Presbyterian Hospital ripped into the Trump administration on Monday for being woefully behind in its preparations for dealing with coronavirus.

During an appearance on CNBC, Dr. Matthew McCarthy said that he and his colleagues at NY-Presbyterian do not have the proper tools to quickly diagnose patients with coronavirus.

“Before I came here this morning, I was in the emergency room seeing patients,” he said. “I still do not have rapid diagnostic test available to me.”

He then explained that the Centers for Disease Control ignored World Health Organization testing guidelines and decided to send out its own test to hospitals around the country. This turned out to be an epic blunder, however, as the CDC’s tests were so flawed that they had to tell hospitals to not use them.

“I’m here to tell you, right now, in one of the biggest hospitals in the country, I don’t have it at my fingertips,” he said. “I still have to call the Department of Health, I still have to make my case, plead to test people — this is not good!

He then said that the United States’ response to coronavirus compares extremely poorly with the responses he’s seen in other countries.

“In New York state, the person who tested positive was only the 32nd test we’ve done in this state!” he said. “That is a national scandal! They’re testing 10,000 a day in some countries.”

• Upvote 7

Trump disinformation tactic foiled by Fauci.

Wanna bet Faux will fudge Fauci's comments out of their soundbite?

• Upvote 8

If you don't want to listen, this is what he says, verbatim:

"Ehhhh, working very hard with the CDC, with everybody, ehh, in the ehhh, on the subject that is a very big subject, ehhh, the... our country is doing very well, our professionals are doing an incredible job. We're also working with other countries to help them, because they really have a fear of the unknown, we're working with a lot of other countries on -- including Colombia, but we're working with a lot of other countries on helping them in respect to this problem, and ehhhh, again, we're doing very well."

• WTF 16

22 hours ago, fraurosena said:

A postal worker sounds potentially dangerous; depending on their job and the amount of people they can come into contact with, they could have contaminated countless others.

As of today we have 10 confirmed cases over here in my country. One was a woman who was critically ill in hospital for a week before being diagnosed. Said hospital has been put in lockdown until it becomes clear if she contaminated others. Visitors have been banned. 

Although 10 cases are not a lot for a population of 17 million, it is potentially worrisome that all these cases were diagnosed within the last week. Then again, all cases were people who had been to places with high contamination risk, like northern Italy, or their family members, so the source of their contamination is known.

It could be that this viral danger will fizzle out soon. But this case of the undiagnosed woman in that hospital has me worried. All those vulnerable patients! I shudder at the thought of the disaster that may be lurking there. Fingers crossed the measures that are being taken to contain it will be adequate enough. And they damned well better investigate why it took them so long to diagnose her.

Ben Carson is now on the task force? Is being the head of Housing and Urban Development not keeping him busy enough?

• Upvote 6
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, fraurosena said:

If you don't want to listen, this is what he says, verbatim:

"Ehhhh, working very hard with the CDC, with everybody, ehh, in the ehhh, on the subject that is a very big subject, ehhh, the... our country is doing very well, our professionals are doing an incredible job. We're also working with other countries to help them, because they really have a fear of the unknown, we're working with a lot of other countries on -- including Colombia, but we're working with a lot of other countries on helping them in respect to this problem, and ehhhh, again, we're doing very well."

So...nothing.  Nothing useful, that is.  I think they're seriously scrambling.  Without an effective, unified response from the Feds I guess states and localities will need to come up with and implement their own protocols, and this takes time.  Without accurate testing broadly available folks will need to exercise even greater caution around other people.  I went shopping again today and intend this to be the last day I shop, or use public transportation, for at least a month (without a really good reason).  I'm still going to vote tomorrow.

• Upvote 4

15 hours ago, Dandruff said:

I think Pete Buttigieg is near-heroic for dropping out now and emphasizing the need to prioritize the group win (in so many words) in his speech.  The guy is focused.  Right now I'd be thrilled if Biden got the nomination and chose Pete as his running mate.

I do have some concerns about this. I think that Pete needs a bit more seasoning, and would be happy to see him run for Senate or governor and do that for a couple of terms before possibly running for president again. My concern is if he runs as a vice president now, and they lose, then the party will kind of put him out to pasture and people won't support another run of his in, say, 8 to 12 years.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 4

I just read that the first signs of the Coronavirus are a dry cough and a fever.  This is useful information so tell others.  So far, the stupid government hasn't even told us what to watch out for.  It's also suggested that you call the doctor's office rather than go in if you have the symptoms.  We ought to have separate testing areas -- but with Trump and Pence, this won't even cross their feeble minds.  Alert whomever you've come in contact with, let the doctor know and ask about testing, and isolate yourself until you get medical help.  

That's about the best we can do.

• Upvote 10
  • Thank You 2

6 minutes ago, Xan said:

I just read that the first signs of the Coronavirus are a dry cough and a fever.  This is useful information so tell others.  So far, the stupid government hasn't even told us what to watch out for.  It's also suggested that you call the doctor's office rather than go in if you have the symptoms.  We ought to have separate testing areas -- but with Trump and Pence, this won't even cross their feeble minds.  Alert whomever you've come in contact with, let the doctor know and ask about testing, and isolate yourself until you get medical help.  

That's about the best we can do.

Another thing, might sound silly, but if I go into an area where it's known or expected to be, not only will I minimize my interactions with others for a few weeks once I get home but I will also keep a journal of where I go and who I interact with.  Probably for a month since we know 14 days isn't enough.  When folks get sick the authorities have to do all the contact tracing -- way easier if we keep our own notes of which days we went out and where, who we had close contact with, etc.

• Upvote 8

Well, it turns out that lampoon I posted the other day wasn't so far from the truth.

• Upvote 4
  • WTF 8

Isn’t it great that Trump is so reassuring? I’m sure all those uninsured people won’t be feeling anxious about getting Covid19 now.

/s

• Upvote 6

24 minutes ago, fraurosena said:

Isn’t it great that Trump is so reassuring? I’m sure all those uninsured people won’t be feeling anxious about getting Covid19 now.

/s

Yes, a surprise.  Who could have foreseen that uninsured people may have a medical issue at some point that needs treatment.

I wonder when he'll figure out that people who don't have enough food will eventually become hungry?

Just when I think I'm getting numb to him he says something that makes me want to scream.

• Upvote 14

The dumber he sounds the better.  I doubt enough help will be provided, regardless, but when folks are worried about their lives being at risk they tend to pay more attention.  And will hopefully remember in November.

• Upvote 8

1 hour ago, fraurosena said:

/s

Help them out? Yeah right. Help them out of this world and into the grave...

• Upvote 4
  • Sad 2

I'm in SoCal and it's all anyone is talking about besides politics. There's a really good reddit post with sourced, scientific information for those that want more of a background: reddit.com/COVID19info

"Transmission Methods: Respiratory droplet and touch/fomites, possible fecal-oral, possible airborne (conditional) 

Incubation Period: 2-14 days 

Persistence on Inanimate Surfaces: Highly dependent on surface and conditions. Possibly up to 9 days, but generally less than that

Symptoms: Fever, cough, Shortness of Breath. It seems to start with a fever, followed by a dry cough. After a week, it can lead to shortness of breath, with about 20% of patients requiring hospital treatment. Notably, the COVID-19 infection rarely seems to cause a runny nose, sneezing, or sore throat. Some atypical patients may presentinitially with GI symptoms.

Treatment: Clinical management includes prompt implementation of recommended infection prevention and control measures and supportive management of complications, including advanced organ support if indicated."

And finally, the mortality statistics, which are skewed HIGHER as this is percentage mortality with individuals sick enough to interact with China's health system. Many people have minor symptoms to stay home and not seek treatment, or may not even know they have it. 

472141702_ScreenShot2020-03-03at6_25_03PM.png.df11381193fd4cf1da983912608d7756.png

If you are older, have a pre-existing condition, etc. It's especially important to avoid crowded spaces and keep washing your hands. There is reasonable evidence that hand sanitizer WITH 60%+ alcohol are beneficial as well, but hand washing properly and long enough is still #1 precaution.

Edited by neurogirl
  • Upvote 3
  • Thank You 11

4 hours ago, fraurosena said:

/s

What's the "surprise to all of us"? That there are uninsured people, or that they sometimes get sick?

• Upvote 5

Always blame Obama for your disastrous mistakes.

• Confused 2
  • WTF 8

So Obama went and showed him how a real president does it.

• Upvote 8
  • Love 5

R's gotta look out for whom they're working for. Duh. And no, it's not you, the American public.

• Disgust 10

Pence is pleased with a piss-poor performance.

• WTF 6

They shop, stay at hotels... All he can think about is making money. Even if it's off of a dangerous pandemic.

• Disgust 4
  • WTF 7

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic