IGNORED

Things that made you go “Huh?”

smittykins

1. In On The Banks of Plum Creek, Mary and Laura go to school in the summer.  I know this was before standardized school terms, and according to Pioneer Girl, even Rose Wilder Lane wrote her mother to ask “Was there really school in the summertime?”

2.  I remember being confused about terms such as “calico,” “lawn,” and “boughten”(it took me way longer than it should have to figure out that it meant store-bought, and not homemade).  I really wished there was a glossary.

3.  Also in On The Banks of Plum Creek , when Laura and Mary begin driving the family cow to meet the herd boy in the morning and bringing her back home at night, it says “Now Laura and Mary has chores to do.”  I used to think, “But what about the things they were already doing—making beds, washing dishes, sweeping the floors?”  Apparently, that was housework, and totally different.

4.  Last but not least, when Mr. Edwards told the story of Santa Claus riding a pack mule, was I the only one who thought “But where were his reindeer?” ?

• Upvote 3

• 1 month later...
On 2/19/2020 at 5:05 PM, smittykins said:

1. In On The Banks of Plum Creek, Mary and Laura go to school in the summer.  I know this was before standardized school terms, and according to Pioneer Girl, even Rose Wilder Lane wrote her mother to ask “Was there really school in the summertime?”

2.  I remember being confused about terms such as “calico,” “lawn,” and “boughten”(it took me way longer than it should have to figure out that it meant store-bought, and not homemade).  I really wished there was a glossary.

3.  Also in On The Banks of Plum Creek , when Laura and Mary begin driving the family cow to meet the herd boy in the morning and bringing her back home at night, it says “Now Laura and Mary has chores to do.”  I used to think, “But what about the things they were already doing—making beds, washing dishes, sweeping the floors?”  Apparently, that was housework, and totally different.

4.  Last but not least, when Mr. Edwards told the story of Santa Claus riding a pack mule, was I the only one who thought “But where were his reindeer?” ?

1 That makes sense because the winters were so brutal they wouldn't want those kids walking to school. 

2 to this day whenever I hear Calico I think of a cat I don't know whose fault it is Laura Wilder or Beverly Cleary (the author of a children ’s book Socks) (about cats)

3 Laura and Mary were overworked children, no wonder why Laura started writing she probably needed to get off her feet!

4, no I'd say you definitely weren't.

• Upvote 2

You guys...we have a whole club dedicated to Laura Ingalls Wilder and LHOP....come join us, we're delightful!

• Upvote 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.