IGNORED

Chelsy and John Maxwell 8: Killing Demons with a Salt Gun

HerNameIsBuffy

Not eating or drinking during labour is outdated advice... It can last for days and you're doing an intense physical effort. No one would think of denying an ultramarathonian any food for the duration of their 12+ hour race because they might get run over an would then need surgery... Why deny women basic needs. 

Most emergency c-sections are done under epidural which doesn't require fasting beforehand anyway. 

It's just one of the ways birthing women have been (and still are) institionally mistreated and it really annoys me. See also: being made to give birth in the worst possible position because medics don't like bending down, getting fingers stuck up the vagina, often without consent, and getting your vulva cut into as a matter of routine, also often without consent, neither of which is medically necessary. 

If anyone tried to do this to an animal, they would (rightfully) be sent to prison for cruelty. 

• Upvote 17
  • I Agree 8
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

Eating during birth (cereal/chocolate bars, bananas etc.) and drinking water was encouraged when I had my baby boy last year. Not sure if that’s specific to Germany though, I’ve found that these kinds of recommendations will often vary across different countries.

I was induced over there course of five days, and even active labor lasted almost 24 hours, so not eating/drinking wouldn’t have been an options. I had to have an unplanned c section in the end (with anaesthesia through my just as unplanned epidural), but it wasn’t an issue that I’d been eating/drinking.

• Upvote 10

Sarah did a great job with their Christmas photos. They are lovely family pictures. 

Did they announce that Elliot was a boy before his birth? I can’t remember.

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, Giraffe said:

She had a home birth so she could eat whatever she wanted. In a hospital they won't let people in labor eat in case the patient needs surgery. 

Luckily more hospitals are understanding that this is outdated BS and that it's the mom's decision, not theirs. When I had my first in 2016 I made it clear on my birth plan I'd eat however much I wanted, thank you very much, and I was pleasantly surprised they respected that and even brought me a breakfast tray with eggs and pancakes.

The one concern besides surgery is vomiting, which I did do hours later during transition. They encourage that if you do eat to eat foods that will come back out easily.

Unfortunately most moms in hospitals dont realize they have a lot more free will with these choices than they are made to believe. And alternatively home birthers would rather deliver at home than deal with the pressure at hospitals to put mom's needs aside. Luckily the two are compromising more so that more people will feel comfortable delivering in hospital.

• Upvote 8
  • Thank You 4

I don't think I was supposed to eat anything while I was at the hospital in labor. I think fluids and Popsicles were considered to be ok. My water broke with my son shortly after dinner. I threw that up shortly after I got to the hospital. 

With my daughter, my water broke in the morning right when I was getting up. I then started to feel nauseous so I wasn't interested in eating anything before going to the hospital. My labour was fairly quick though so maybe if it had been longer I would have wanted something. I think all I had was a bit of water. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, freethemall said:

Luckily more hospitals are understanding that this is outdated BS and that it's the mom's decision, not theirs. When I had my first in 2016 I made it clear on my birth plan I'd eat however much I wanted, thank you very much, and I was pleasantly surprised they respected that and even brought me a breakfast tray with eggs and pancakes.

So glad to hear how things have changed!  I had my youngest via C-section in 1997 and was starved for 2 1/2 days.

I hope that's changed for women having C-sections too.

I felt fine and was up walking and showering the morning after he was born.  But...no food allowed.  Probably a liquid diet, but not actual food.

My sister bought me a It's a Boy  vase from the hospital gift shop that had small tootsie rolls in it.  I chowed down on them and couldn't have cared less about hospital rules.  To this day I remember how good those candies tasted.

• Upvote 10

Even though I had a relatively short and uneventful labor and birth, the last thing I wanted to do was eat during it all! I did, however, chow the heck out of the ginormous breakfast they brought me afterwards.

• Upvote 9
  • Love 1

14 hours ago, Giraffe said:

She had a home birth so she could eat whatever she wanted. In a hospital they won't let people in labor eat in case the patient needs surgery. 

And the food you ate just before you went into labor will probably come up at some point.

• Upvote 5

20 minutes ago, fundiefan said:

Why did she need to put on makeup? How is having makeup on being prepared for childbirth? 

I’ve rarely seen Chelsy bare faced. She knew there would be pictures so she put her makeup on. Some people do care much more about always wearing their makeup for pictures. I actually forgot my bra when we hurried out the door for the hospital with baby #2. That’s how little I was thinking of my looks when I was in labor the second time around!

• Upvote 7

11 hours ago, fundiefan said:

Why did she need to put on makeup? How is having makeup on being prepared for childbirth? 

Can't really snark on that since I also feel better and more put together when I wear makeup. Haven't experienced childbirth yet, so I don't know wether putting on makeup would really come to my mind, but I wouldn't put it past me.

• Upvote 7

When my oldest was born, the nurses encouraged me to eat lightly - juice, toast, bananas, etc.  I was 12+ hours into labour and hadn't eaten in almost 24 hours since I went into labour in the middle of the night.  On top of the risk of surgery, I think they advise against heavier meals for comfort reasons.  I vomited while in labour and I think anything heavy would have upset my stomach more.

I had a partially scheduled section with my second (I had a date booked but my water broke a week early). I had eaten breakfast and the anesthetist was a stickler for no food, even with epidural and not being completely under, so I had to wait a few hours before surgery. 

• Upvote 5
  • Eyeroll 1

here is a practical rule for eating during labour: don't eat anything that gives you indigestion 

source: had a patient who ate quite a bit of a meatball pizza with extra cheese. She deeply regretted that - particularly when it came time to push. 

20 hours ago, fundiefan said:

Lots of women like makeup and wear it all the time  it eg Emilynoel83 on YouTube who did a video on "makeup that survived childbirth" (Note: I bought the Besame lipstick she wore for her second child and she is right that lipstick was great). Also lots of women want to look good for the pictures and I don't see anything wrong with this. Whatever amount of makeup a woman (or man) wants to wear is fine by me.

Edited by browngrl
corrected "if" to "is"
  • Upvote 11
  • Haha 1
  • Thank You 1

Twenty nine years ago, when I labored for 22 hours before delivering my son via c-section, the rule was “no food or drink.” I remember, at one point, I asked the nurse if I could have some fruit juice or a couple of crackers...anything. I was so hungry, my stomach was hurting. Of course, the answer was “no.”  I am glad to read that the guidelines have changed. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 5

On 1/19/2021 at 10:12 AM, Hane said:

Even though I had a relatively short and uneventful labor and birth, the last thing I wanted to do was eat during it all! I did, however, chow the heck out of the ginormous breakfast they brought me afterwards.

I can’t imagine eating in labor either. But I have also run half marathons without taking even a sip of water. I also vomit very easily.  Safety being a consideration, the mother should decide.

On 1/19/2021 at 11:37 AM, JermajestyDuggar said:

I’ve rarely seen Chelsy bare faced. She knew there would be pictures so she put her makeup on. Some people do care much more about always wearing their makeup for pictures. I actually forgot my bra when we hurried out the door for the hospital with baby #2. That’s how little I was thinking of my looks when I was in labor the second time around!

With my first I got bitched out my by Land D nurse at 0700 (following a midnight emergency Csection) because I didn’t have by bra on. WTF...and I was a nurse at that time!

• Upvote 3
  • WTF 8

6 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

I can’t imagine eating in labor either. But I have also run half marathons without taking even a sip of water. I also vomit very easily.  Safety being a consideration, the mother should decide.

With my first I got bitched out my by Land D nurse at 0700 (following a midnight emergency Csection) because I didn’t have by bra on. WTF...and I was a nurse at that time!

Why would she even care if you were wearing a bra? So strange! I think I was the only one who cared I forgot my bra (afterwards of course). I didn’t give a single fuck during labor. 

• Upvote 8

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Why would she even care if you were wearing a bra? So strange! I think I was the only one who cared I forgot my bra (afterwards of course). I didn’t give a single fuck during labor. 

I wore my bra to the hospital but both times I didn't wear it during labor. It decided it was uncomfortable. I didn't put a bra again until I was leaving the hospital. It was easier to breastfeed without the hassle of one.

• Upvote 8

I got chastised by a nurse (an LPN)  for not wearing a bra after I had my premie.  I was thinking " You idiot!  Don't you realize I have more important things on my mind right now? "  She said I'd sag and thought have you not even glanced at my breasts?  They already sag!  Btw, I've scarcely worn a bra since I broke my wrist. At first, they were too hard to put on and now, who cares?  I'd wear a sports bra if I were out for a run, but for everyday, no.

• Upvote 4
  • WTF 3

My midwife sent my husband to grab me ‘a light meal’ when I was in labour with my first. He came back with brown rice and lamb curry ? I ate it though, and was glad I did, since I had 10 hours through the night still to go - it kept me going! 

• Upvote 3
  • Love 5

My mom was forever mad at me for coming before she had her dinner which had just arrived. At the time the hospital had really good food and she really wanted the montecristo sandwich. Nope, instead she ended up labor and didn't get to eat it.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 9

One of the biggest cultural disappointments of the pandemic for me is that it did not make bras go the way of the corset, like what happened in ww1. Society says I need to wear them. Society really sucks sometimes. 

• Upvote 5
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 3

I seem to be one of the few people who doesn’t mind a bra. I’ve never had that thing of getting home and taking it off in relief. I don’t find them particularly uncomfortable either. I guess I’m just weird that way. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 12

27 minutes ago, mango_fandango said:

I seem to be one of the few people who doesn’t mind a bra. I’ve never had that thing of getting home and taking it off in relief. I don’t find them particularly uncomfortable either. I guess I’m just weird that way. 

I’m similar when it comes to bras. I found the right style and that helped. 

Edited by Jana814
  • Upvote 8
  • I Agree 5

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic