IGNORED

Chelsy and John Maxwell 8: Killing Demons with a Salt Gun

HerNameIsBuffy

2 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

You moms that are having babies now (or recently) have no idea how good you've got it in terms of car seat design. When I was little in the 50s, the only car seats available were those things that hooked over the back of the bench seat.  It might have a plastic play steering wheel and basically did nothing to keep the baby safe.  In the mid to late 70s,  there were two big innovations in car seats: the GM Love Seat for infants and the Strollee Wee-Care Car Seat.  The Strollee was adaptable for small babies, who faced rearwards and older babies/toddlers who faced forwards.  It did have several levels of incline including straight up and was supposed to be tethered when forward-facing.  Almost nobody ever tethered their Strollee although we did.  It had a five-point harness and we always fastened ours correctly although many parents did not.  You have so many more -and better- choices- in car seats now.  The Strollee Company is no longer in business.  Karen and Richard Carpenter were investors because Strollee was based in Downey. California, where they lived.  

If you want to get a look at the old timey car seats, the old blue 1962 edition of The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding has a drawing of a baby in one of those seats.  

Our daughter, now 33, cried in Kindergarten because she was the only kid in her class still in a booster seat. She was 5, and weighed 35 lbs and on the shorter side as well. Today, she could still be rearing facing. Times have really changed!

So, another name with an X..what are the odds a grandpa with an X in his name!

Edited by SassyPants
  • Upvote 4

My 7.5 year old is still in a high back booster. I could take the back off and just have a booster seat. But I think he likes the cushion up by the head part of the seat. So I’ve left it on. 

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, Baxter said:

My son had motion sickness as well when he rode backwards. We turned him forward facing right before his 2nd birthday because of it. Before we turned him, he would cry hysterically most of the time he was in his seat. It was horrible. I barely made it to two. That's the recommendation where I live. The law is at least one and 22 lbs. 

My daughter is much more chill in her seat. She just turned one. I would be open to keeping her rear facing after two but we'll see how it goes. 

My husband was in a hurry to get our daughter turned around (he didn't like that he couldn't see her in the rearview mirror) and was looking forward to doing so ON her first birthday. I was uncomfortable with this but our state changed the minimum age to two just a few weeks before she turned one so the decision was made for us. In the end she rearfaced until almost three, when she got so tall that she was crying in pain because her crumpled-up legs fell asleep every time we went anywhere. It finally got to where I was weighing the risk of a possible accident vs. knowing that every time we got in the car, there would be pain and tears.

If we have another baby, I'll probably look for one of those extended-rearfacing seats that give more leg room. Because we're all legs in this house.

1 hour ago, SassyPants said:

Our daughter, now 33, cried in Kindergarten because she was the only kid in her class still in a booster seat. She was 5, and weighed 35 lbs and on the shorter side as well. Today, she could still be rearing facing. Times have really changed!

So, another name with an X..what are the odds a grandpa with an X in his name!

I was jealous of my brother when I was probably five and he was two, because he had the booster seat and I had nothing so he was taller than me in the car and I didn't think that was fair. I also rode in the front at that age, and my grandma would put the shoulder belt under my armpit. 

I'm the right age to have come home from the hospital in a Moses basket like on the last episode of Newhart.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1
  • Love 2

Apologies to any FJ Elliots out there but I hear that name and my mind immediately goes here. 

Spoiler

• Upvote 2

Maternity clothes in the late ‘70s were so ridiculous that I made all of mine. (My landlady gifted me with a ruffled, beribboned, puffed-sleeved monstrosity that I only wore in front of her. My then-husband called me “Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman.”) I got lucky with one thing, though: A couple of years before I got pregnant, the Annie Hall look with oversized tops and vests was in style, then I caught a bad flu and lost weight. I was able to wear my Annie Hall clothes until I was six months or so and needed real maternity clothes.

Edited by Hane
  • Upvote 8

4 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

You moms that are having babies now (or recently) have no idea how good you've got it in terms of car seat design. When I was little in the 50s, the only car seats available were those things that hooked over the back of the bench seat.  It might have a plastic play steering wheel and basically did nothing to keep the baby safe.  In the mid to late 70s,  there were two big innovations in car seats: the GM Love Seat for infants and the Strollee Wee-Care Car Seat.  The Strollee was adaptable for small babies, who faced rearwards and older babies/toddlers who faced forwards.  It did have several levels of incline including straight up and was supposed to be tethered when forward-facing.  Almost nobody ever tethered their Strollee although we did.  It had a five-point harness and we always fastened ours correctly although many parents did not.  You have so many more -and better- choices- in car seats now.  The Strollee Company is no longer in business.  Karen and Richard Carpenter were investors because Strollee was based in Downey. California, where they lived.  

If you want to get a look at the old timey car seats, the old blue 1962 edition of The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding has a drawing of a baby in one of those seats.  

I remember sitting in that car seat with the steering wheel and my sisters sitting on either side of me, likely not wearing seatbelts.  My sisters also have told me about the fancy car bed my parents had for me.  Glad I survived all that and glad times have changed a lot. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

2 hours ago, smittykins said:

A friend of my mom’s bought a used car seat at the Salvation Army(late 70s).  It was a step up from the hooked-over-the-bench-seat, model, but not by much.

They don’t even accept them nowadays, do they? The times, they do change. 

• Upvote 3

28 minutes ago, Caroline said:

I remember sitting in that car seat with the steering wheel and my sisters sitting on either side of me, likely not wearing seatbelts.  My sisters also have told me about the fancy car bed my parents had for me.  Glad I survived all that and glad times have changed a lot. 

My youngest brother is his mid 50s and I remember him having that car seat with the steering wheel. Before he was able to sit up, my mom made him a bed on the floorboard of the car behind the driver’s seat. The rest of us were able to freely roam about the station wagon. We are all still alive and functional.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, MamaJunebug said:

They don’t even accept them nowadays, do they? The times, they do change. 

I don’t know for sure, but it wouldn’t surprise me.  I do know that using old car seats is not recommended.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

Bontragers are even more sexist than Maxwells. They make an idol of masculinity, reaching a point no Maxwell has ever done. Also, Bontragers are open about disciplining and hitting children (at least Maxwells are cautious about that issues). 

I'm not saying Maxwells are better! Just different corner of hell. But Bons are very very dark.

Chelsy sleeptrained Axton since his birth, scheduled feeding time and trained him not no move or touch his food, before he was even 1 year old. Axton is often hold in a way he can't move his hands. She can wear a bikini or whatever, she's not better than other fundies, neither more progressive or compassive. 

Sincerely, I doubt her clothes disturb Teri and Steve as much as some people think. In their circles, many women dress modern. She's a submissive SAHM who workships John and wants a bunch of robotic kids. She's as *good* as Anna Marie, just with different outfits.

I barely follow Chelsey so I had no idea about any of that.

I’ll wait until she posts a photo of her in that bikini you’re talking about before daring to make another observation about her clothes ?

• Upvote 4

I tell you, I envy all you young moms for the safe and convenient items available nowadays!

My daughter’s 1978 car seat was upholstered in black vinyl that burned in the summer and froze in the winter, so I had to wrap it in receiving blankets. Because her head would wobble back and forth when she was teeny, I used to roll up receiving blankets into cylinders and put one on each side of her head when she was in her car seat. A few years later, I saw padded U-shaped head rests for infant car seats. Dammit—I shoulda patented the thing! I coulda been rich!

Edited by Hane
  • Upvote 5

17 hours ago, PlentyOfJesusFishInTheSea said:

I can't recall anything guessing Elliott for a name (it's way too normal/nice) but I'm giving myself half points for picking something with Ls in it! 

I'm giving myself half points for the X!  I like Elliot, and it sounds OK with Maxwell.

• Upvote 2

22 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

My 7.5 year old is still in a high back booster. I could take the back off and just have a booster seat. But I think he likes the cushion up by the head part of the seat. So I’ve left it on. 

My kids went to backless boosters around 8. At that point they didn't fit the seatbelt correctly, but they didn't want their friends to see them in boosters since many kids stopped using them at 8 (which was the law in my state at the time). But we always put the backs on for long road trips. They liked the "pillows" to rest their heads on. 

• Upvote 5

@Hane,  I had one of those U-shaped headrests for my girls.  It was blue gingham.  

I was talking about this with my granddaughter who just had her 10th birthday.  She's almost as tall as I am and I told her that I was so short that if I were a few inches shorter that legally I'd have to sit in a booster seat.  

• Haha 5

On 6/20/2020 at 4:21 AM, Melissa1977 said:

Duggars, Zsu, etc. Reasons?

They need the seat for the new blessing.

They have been raised to think that safety is bullshit and Jesus protects them. Or they just don't think about safety.

Usually when children change the position, cry less in the car. I see some of them (Alyssa, Zsu...) fine with whatever makes kids shut up and let them drive in peace. 

That makes sense about the Jesus protection, and also pure ignorance, of course.

Also, what you said about them crying less speaks to the myths many people have about rear/forward facing, which Car Seats for the Littles has busted: https://csftl.org/rear-facing-car-seat-myths-busted/

On 6/20/2020 at 5:53 AM, Smash! said:

Why? Genuine question. I don’t know a lot about Pa Bontrager but Stevehovas serious letters or whatever they are called are some of the worst I‘ve seen here.

If you check out the video of the Bontrager's on Ellen Page's show "Gaycation" a few years ago, you can get a good feel for their evil: 

https://www.afterellen.com/tv/480537-gaycation-recap-1-4-usa/2

• Upvote 1
  • Disgust 1

His name sounds like Oedipus Rex to me. I wonder if they’re even familiar with the story?

• Upvote 7

15 minutes ago, Jasmar said:

His name sounds like Oedipus Rex to me. I wonder if they’re even familiar with the story?

The Bontragers date their siblings, not their parents ;)

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 25

On 6/23/2020 at 9:26 AM, freethemall said:

If you check out the video of the Bontrager's on Ellen Page's show "Gaycation" a few years ago, you can get a good feel for their evil: 

https://www.afterellen.com/tv/480537-gaycation-recap-1-4-usa/2

I'm sure it's been discussed before but I'd never seen it and I found someone had uploaded the episode to fb (it's at about 12.20 where the bontragers come in)

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

Chelsy updated her blog with a bunch of pictures of Elliot

http://www.chelsyrenee.com/2020/07/two-weeks-with-elliot.html

Almost no pictures of him with his eyes open, so hard to say if he shares the same intense eyes as the rest of his family. Also, add taking a newborn to the chiropractor to John and Chelsy's list of hazardous child rearing practices. Right next to giving Axton unpasteurized milk and amber teething necklaces. :mad:

• Upvote 5
  • WTF 2

23 minutes ago, llg1234 said:

Chelsy updated her blog with a bunch of pictures of Elliot

http://www.chelsyrenee.com/2020/07/two-weeks-with-elliot.html

Almost no pictures of him with his eyes open, so hard to say if he shares the same intense eyes as the rest of his family. Also, add taking a newborn to the chiropractor to John and Chelsy's list of hazardous child rearing practices. Right next to giving Axton unpasteurized milk and amber teething necklaces. :mad:

Why would she post a picture of him looking purple? 

3207C36E-CCCE-424B-AFD8-1B3F5A8DE985.jpeg

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1
  • WTF 4
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 2

I wonder if Elliot was jaundiced and that's why he was lying out in the sun?  Sunlight, specifically the UV spectrum, can help break down unconjugated bilirubin, but many pedestrians will just have you put the baby near a window so he'll get sunlight that way.  If the bill level is higher, the baby might be placed under bill lights or wrapped in a bill blanket. While jaundice usually makes the baby look yellow, it can make them look red, too.  Whatever, that purple color should be looked into.  If babies in the NICU turned dusky-looking, the staff would see what needed to adjusted.  

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 3

@PennySycamore, did you mean “pediatricians”? I got panicky because my doc had me park my baby’s bassinet near a window and I just wondered whether that was a “pedestrian” or sub-par thing to do!

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Hane said:

@PennySycamore, did you mean “pediatricians”? I got panicky because my doc had me park my baby’s bassinet near a window and I just wondered whether that was a “pedestrian” or sub-par thing to do!

Yes, I did.  I thought I typed pediatrician, but if you make any mistake at all, damn autocorrect will change it into something you don't mean.  Our doctor had us park our second baby's bassinet in the window as well.  She was not yellow, but more red.  The UV light she got through the window worked.  

I had severe RH jaundice as a baby and was the color of a brown paper bag when I was born.  My bilirubin level must have been above 30.  

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 2

Fortunately his color looks good in other pictures. So he’s probably ok. I just can’t imagine posting that picture because the poor kid is so purple! 

• Upvote 4

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic