IGNORED

Sierra 4: She Speaks More Spanish than the Vuolos and Dillards

HerNameIsBuffy

That type of accent wall is actually "in" from what I've seen in model homes and design magazines lately. When I go to HGTV's website and search "accent wall" the first result I get is this, which is pretty similar to Sierra's. 

• Upvote 4

6 hours ago, IsmeWeatherwax said:

Sierra was asked in the comments if she rented the house, she said no, we own. 

Perhaps her parents bought them a home, that would go a long way in saving money not having a mortgage, they would only have to pay taxes, because with no mortgage you don't have to have home owners ins, you're stupid NOT to have it, but they are fundies so...

• Upvote 7

On 10/31/2020 at 12:14 AM, indianabones said:

IMG_20201028_000252774.thumb.jpg.9aabed93ae979c1f5b9f6ae03947b29f.jpg

I just finished a sweater and am starting another one!

(Yes, I'm using this post as an excuse to brag about my new sweater...)

Omfg you MADE that?! Like, with yarn and knitting needles and shit? This is amazing. You are amazing!

Seriously, I am coveting a cozy handmade sweater, and I am in awe of anyone who can knit anything actually useful. If you want a potholder, I'm your gal, but anything that has actual fiddly bits is so far out of my league. Maybe I'll buy one of the sweaters I have in my Etsy wishlist for myself for Christmas. 

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 4

Regarding Sierra talking about her children future weddings etc

I know they are fundies and focus on marriage, but I wonder if what Sierra does is just what my mom did, and for the same reasons:

My mom was always pushing the "big girl" on me. Talking about high school, periods and jobs and even marriage since my early childhood. I was a tall kid and she always said I looked like a teen, was super excited about my physical development and bought me make up and adult books (not inappropiated ones, but too difficult) and put me in adult activities too early. At age 10 I had no more toys at Christmas, despite being a Barbie fan and dreaming of Barbie stuff because I was a kid no more (sorry? I was 10!).

What my theraphy showed me is that she did it because her ADHD. She needed more excitement, changes, novelty. Novelty may be new babies, but also children becoming teens or marrying.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 12

On 12/4/2020 at 4:22 PM, Kailash said:

Can someone post a pic of it if it’s public. If not, it’s okay. @OHFL2009 thank you for the link to the wall that is close to her new one. 

Screenshot_20201208-010407.png.f9d666ece203c3f1ca7994bd1e7333ba.png

This is it. It's surprising low-key.

• Upvote 10
  • Thank You 6

• 2 weeks later...

Sierras IG stories show her kids wrapping presents for their siblings and is it just me or is their writing really not up to grade level standard? I know different kids have different strengths but her eldest is 10 and his writing looks 2nd grade level. 

I'm a teacher, but Australian. Here, handwriting is a relatively minor component of what makes the grade level standard (in fact, it is only officially part of things until grade 3). But yes, I would say their handwriting is very poor.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 2

My personal theory about Sierra's homeschooling is that she took the two oldest boys out of their Christian School because the tuition was too much for them, and she and Mark figured that if she was already home all day with the younger kids, she might as well homeschool all of them. I doubt they took into account that Sierra, by her own admission, wasn't a very good student and really disliked school. I struggle to understand why these people can't just send their kids to public school to be educated by college graduates who enjoy what they do and are good at it to boot. Even with the worry of secular influence- I bet half the kids in Daylon's hypothetical class come from Christian, Trump-worshipping families just like Sierra's!

Here is her 9 year old son's handwriting for reference.

Screenshot_20201223-033508.thumb.png.cb7dc90754b5ce3ca89067c326de3437.png

• Upvote 5
  • WTF 2
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

But at least she's teaching him cursive which some public schools aren't!  Who needs legible printing? /s

• Haha 4

I sat through her stories early and watched part of the kids wrapping presents.  Including Dayton’s.

She had the kids using a sharpie that had a rectangular barrel.  So it may have been awkward to use for smaller hands.

The older boys all seems to use giant/large letters, especially for the To part.  

Not shown in the earlier screen cap was that Daylon wrote Merry Christmas under his name.  In cursive.  There was a mother/son exchange about how Sierra thought he thought cursive was hard but he just knocked out the Merry Christmas.  That made me wonder if he just doesn’t like writing.  

I’d rather see someone well educated with atrocious hand writing, rather than someone poorly educated with pretty writing.  I’m thinking back to a scene on the Duggars show where Michelle was commenting on I think Jackson’s handwriting and how JB would be pleased with how nice it looked.  And I still think in regards to that scene, never I did what the content is.  Let’s focus on how the handwriting looks.

• Upvote 6

The handwriting does look considerably worse than my 10-year-olds - more like my 6-(almost 7)-year-olds. That said, Sierra puts effort into her homeschooling and I think her kids are better educated than many that are followed here.

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, FunFunFundie said:

The handwriting does look considerably worse than my 10-year-olds - more like my 6-(almost 7)-year-olds. That said, Sierra puts effort into her homeschooling and I think her kids are better educated than many that are followed here.

For a while I thought Sierra was my least hated fundie, but we really don’t know what she does (or doesn’t ) do for schooling. She’s shown some pretty photos of them all behaving with workbooks at the table but that might happen 2-3x a week for 15 min. I suspect she teaches the bare minimum in reading and math, and the rest is Bible versus and pretend cooking lessons.

• Upvote 4

47 minutes ago, UnicornHunter said:

For a while I thought Sierra was my least hated fundie, but we really don’t know what she does (or doesn’t ) do for schooling. She’s shown some pretty photos of them all behaving with workbooks at the table but that might happen 2-3x a week for 15 min. I suspect she teaches the bare minimum in reading and math, and the rest is Bible versus and pretend cooking lessons.

She’s also shown big wipe boards with elaborate plans about what is to be learned before the end of the school year and countdown type things. It could all be make believe but she’s at least putting effort into looking like she’s putting effort into it.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

Handwriting will never be a market for grade level or education quality for me. I've known too many smart people who went far and have truly, remarkably terrible handwriting ?

But I don't understand why you would ruin pretty wrapped presents with a sharpie instead of writing on tags

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1

3 hours ago, FunFunFundie said:

She’s also shown big wipe boards with elaborate plans about what is to be learned before the end of the school year and countdown type things. It could all be make believe but she’s at least putting effort into looking like she’s putting effort into it.

See those elaborate boards make me feel the opposite. The amount of time she seems to have spent on planning, drawing, filming, and posting this, for instance, could have been dedicated to actual instruction. Of course that wouldn’t get social media likes

https://www.instagram.com/p/B8rnXG1Flno/?igshid=q44khwpl0l41

• Upvote 3

He’s writing with a sharpie on wrapping paper. I think he did just fine. I am homeschooling my 8-year old due to COVID and writing is very inconsistent. When it’s cursive (we’re also doing cursive) neatness counts but otherwise? It’s his thoughts that matter most. 

I always and only use sharpie as well. Tags are just a lot of fuss. Sierra gets a pass on all this from me. 

• Upvote 10

On 12/23/2020 at 10:40 PM, artdecades said:

See those elaborate boards make me feel the opposite. The amount of time she seems to have spent on planning, drawing, filming, and posting this, for instance, could have been dedicated to actual instruction. Of course that wouldn’t get social media likes

https://www.instagram.com/p/B8rnXG1Flno/?igshid=q44khwpl0l41

I’ve been homeschooling for two years - if what I planned out was what actually got taught my kids would be geniuses by now. Just because something is on a white board doesn’t mean they learned a damn thing from it! And I think I’ve seen her do that maybe twice.

• Upvote 6

• 2 weeks later...

Sierra has been so quiet lately. She did the same thing during the BLM protests but it’s been going on longer than the political unrest. I really thing she’s dealing with first trimester low energy and nausea.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 3

On 10/30/2020 at 8:10 PM, Joe Pukepail said:

I think it depends a LOT on how messed up your teeth are. That said, I've been looking into it for myself, and I don't see how anyone would go for Invisalign over the myriad cheaper alternatives unless they were comped. Especially right now, I wouldn't consider anything that required me to be in the dentist's office more than absolutely necessary. Many of the alternatives to Invisalign mail you the monthly aligners and you don't need to see a dentist. Some of them even let you do the molds at home.

If I had however many kids Sierra and Mark have, I'd absolutely be checking out the more affordable aligner options.

I know this is old, but I was catching up on this thread and just committed to Invisalign a couple of weeks ago (I’m waiting on my trays and dreading the next 18 months), so I couldn’t resist commenting... I got three different quotes/consultations, and every single orthodontist told me that Invisalign would correct my open bite much better than traditional braces. As far as the cheaper alternatives, I might have been more open to those if I just wanted to slightly straighten a tooth or two, but I’m hoping to adjust the bones in my face, so I want an orthodontist overseeing the process. 

I had braces in middle school, and they really only straightened my teeth. The orthodontist tried to fix my open bite and cross bite, but I wasn’t very compliant with the rubber bands they so never fixed those. It never really bothered me cosmetically, but as I’ve gotten older, I’ve had some dental issues, including loose teeth and overworn grinding surfaces on a few teeth that are occurring because of how I bite down. The time came that I really needed to fix this before it got worse and cost me thousands of dollars in dental work... all of the orthodontists I spoke with said that braces can really only pull a tooth, so they’re a little limited in what they can do, but Invisalign can both push and pull, so is actually much more effective at fixing open bites, where the back teeth need to be pushed apart to open the jaw and allow the front teeth to drop down and close. They said that almost all other orthodontic issues are easily handled by braces, but to get the same results for an open bite can take years and may never quite reach the same degree of correction. I thought that was interesting, and it makes sense to me (actually, one of the most common complications is that the regular way Invisalign operates can cause the Invisalign to “fix” and open bite that isn’t there when the trays aren’t in, so when they are removed there’s a slight gap between the top and bottom molars. Not great for most people... exactly what I need to get my teeth to wear correctly!)

So for me, the choice came down to:

1) Faster treatment time (18-24 months with Invisalign vs “years?” with traditional braces) 

2) More effective treatment for my particular issue that will hopefully lead to better long-term dental health from the side effects of my teeth wearing properly

I always thought Invisalign was just a better alternative to braces from a vanity standpoint (which sounds shallow, but for many adults braces can affect things like perception at work, which can have real consequences, unfortunately), but it actually does treat some serious orthodontic problems better than traditional braces, which was news to me. 

• Upvote 8
  • Thank You 4

On 1/9/2021 at 3:06 PM, UnicornHunter said:

Sierra has been so quiet lately. She did the same thing during the BLM protests but it’s been going on longer than the political unrest. I really thing she’s dealing with first trimester low energy and nausea.

Whenever fundies have gone quiet on social media during the past year I assume that they have COVID.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 6

• Coconut Flan locked this topic