IGNORED

Josiah & Lauren 17: Proud parents to Lauren's hat...and Bella

HerNameIsBuffy

5 minutes ago, Vivi_music said:

I am a hat lover. Last week, I ordered a new one for fall.

And guess what? I wore it inside all week. It was new and I was excited to wear it. Basically because of Covid, I have no where to go nor any social event to wear it to. So yeah, I was in my appartment, with Mr. Music, browsing online with my felt fedora on. And guess what? I thought I looked fly. ??

I attended a Zoom baby shower recently with a "high tea" theme and we all wore our most ridiculous hats/fascinators

• Upvote 5
  • Love 12

9 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

I attended a Zoom baby shower recently with a "high tea" theme and we all wore our most ridiculous hats/fascinators

I think that’s cute!  Although hats are not my thing. 

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, HereticHick said:

My high school had a Senior Tea where we all wore tea dresses and gloves and hats, and invited important women in our lives to tea, complete with receiving line. I wish fascinators had been "in" then because I look ridiculous in hats, but I think I could've pulled off a fun fascinator. 

• Upvote 8

My head is too big for most women’s hats. So I’d have to use a fascinator! 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 4

1 hour ago, mango_fandango said:

Mine too and I love hats.  

Why would you wear a fascinator for High Tea? Assuming you mean the British concept of High Tea. Then the dress code is actually smart casual (no trainers!) and definitely no pinkie up. High Tea is not the same as the Queen’s summer garden party.

Or is there an US equivalent Tea set up where this is the dresscode and I am running in the wrong direction?

• Upvote 2

On 9/9/2020 at 11:02 AM, tabitha2 said:

Spoiled brat attitude?  What has she done or said? Not trying to smart just curious.  I can see where Anna or Jessa can be seen as spilling tea if you want to read into their remarks all that much but this young women seems innocuous to me. 

I'm mostly speaking to the "marriage" retreat where she left Josiah to do his vows alone, because she couldn't be bothered.  She just gives off a, snotty, I'm better than you, air a lot.  My SIL pulls this shit all the time leaving my brother & their daughter in an awkward situation.  It is the in abliity to be an adult and say  you're uncomfortable doing XYZ so can you both please just sit out, like Joy & Austin do when they are being overly ridiculous with their contrived story lines. If she's uncomfortable in a social setting, just say it, I'm as socially awkward as they come & I've had to say, I'm really not comfortable doing this, if I come across as bitchy or what ever that isn't my intent. Of course being socially awkward and 20 yrs old makes it hard to admit you are socially awkward.  At the very least she should have been able to tell Josiah, "this is too much for me can we just bail?" at my most shy I could say this to my DH

• Upvote 6

Am british, “afternoon tea” would be mid afternoon with cake and biscuits ( and Maybe cucumber sandwich) all dainty and light, “high tea” is late afternoon and more of a meal, with something savoury to give the children a meal before they go to bed, an old fashioned concept, “tea” as a meal a northern term for supper. “Tea” as a drink is tea! At least that’s my understanding 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 4

19 hours ago, HereticHick said:

That sounds lovely and a baby shower I could see myself attend.

10 hours ago, mango_fandango said:

My head is the size of a watermelon and I can't wear any hats. I wear headbands when it colds since my ears are quite sensitive, but they only fit because my mother knits them for me.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

I'm mostly speaking to the "marriage" retreat where she left Josiah to do his vows alone, because she couldn't be bothered.  She just gives off a, snotty, I'm better than you, air a lot.  My SIL pulls this shit all the time leaving my brother & their daughter in an awkward situation.  It is the in abliity to be an adult and say  you're uncomfortable doing XYZ so can you both please just sit out, like Joy & Austin do when they are being overly ridiculous with their contrived story lines. If she's uncomfortable in a social setting, just say it, I'm as socially awkward as they come & I've had to say, I'm really not comfortable doing this, if I come across as bitchy or what ever that isn't my intent. Of course being socially awkward and 20 yrs old makes it hard to admit you are socially awkward.  At the very least she should have been able to tell Josiah, "this is too much for me can we just bail?" at my most shy I could say this to my DH

I thought she was pregnant  tired and had morning sickness, so couldn't participate in that part. Didn't she stay behind to sleep and try to feel better?

• Upvote 6

4 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Maybe the compensation for the show really isn’t that great, so Lauren doesn’t see the point in filming if she’s not feeling it that day. Josiah’s been filmed for so long that the idea of declining due to lack of interest/compensation probably never crossed his mind.

• Upvote 5
  • Rufus Bless 1

Lauren is also in a very patriarchal cult, reinforced by her own parents. The expectation is that she will defer to and yes, obey her headship. She doesn't have the privilege of truly being able to say no to certain things.  

• Upvote 6

12 hours ago, mango_fandango said:

My head is too big also. I have to wear men’s hats. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, just_ordinary said:

Why would you wear a fascinator for High Tea? Assuming you mean the British concept of High Tea. Then the dress code is actually smart casual (no trainers!) and definitely no pinkie up. High Tea is not the same as the Queen’s summer garden party.

Or is there an US equivalent Tea set up where this is the dresscode and I am running in the wrong direction?

Americans don’t really do tea (though high-end hotels may offer it). Most Americans are at least vaguely aware of fancy teas with hats, and “high tea” sounds fancy to Americans, so it’s often used incorrectly to refer to afternoon tea. Americans are almost completely unaware of the real high tea - it’s like an early supper, maybe for children, right? I’ve never heard of it having any kind of dress code.

• Upvote 5

I was pretty much skipping through all the hat talk, but man, I finally had to look up fascinator. What is wrong with me? I'm in my mid-60s how have I never known this term? Am I the only one here who didn't know? Now that I've seen photos of them I rather like them though won't be wearing any... I'm a fedora woman.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

25 minutes ago, Bobology said:

I was pretty much skipping through all the hat talk, but man, I finally had to look up fascinator. What is wrong with me? I'm in my mid-60s how have I never known this term? Am I the only one here who didn't know? Now that I've seen photos of them I rather like them though won't be wearing any... I'm a fedora woman.

I think in the US they weren't really a "thing" until William and Kate's wedding, 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1

5 hours ago, Scrappinmac said:

I thought she was pregnant  tired and had morning sickness, so couldn't participate in that part. Didn't she stay behind to sleep and try to feel better?

If I recall correctly I think when it aired people had more of a problem with the her absence the day before because she left in the middle of the “compromise” game saying she had a headache. Later during the TH Josiah said he realized after she left that his idea may not have been the best and she was like “Yeah, that was also kinda a part of why I left...” which indicated she was maybe exaggerating her problems to get out of things she didn’t enjoy. So that may have cast her illness the next day into doubt for some. But who knows what to believe out of anybody’s mouth on this show. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

5 hours ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

Americans don’t really do tea (though high-end hotels may offer it). Most Americans are at least vaguely aware of fancy teas with hats, and “high tea” sounds fancy to Americans, so it’s often used incorrectly to refer to afternoon tea. Americans are almost completely unaware of the real high tea - it’s like an early supper, maybe for children, right? I’ve never heard of it having any kind of dress code.

Umm, it was a Zoom baby shower. Lighten up a little. : )

• Upvote 5

I actually totally get the morning sickness. All my pregnancies I end up in the hospital with it a few times. I threw up so much with my last baby I passed out even. But when my nausea meds are working you wouldn’t know it. And being that sick making me kinda bitchy Mixed with i get super depressed the second the embreo implants - so I actually take her side on that one. 

• Upvote 7

7 hours ago, OHFL2009 said:

I think in the US they weren't really a "thing" until William and Kate's wedding, 

Don’t people wear them to the races? 

• Upvote 3

It appears Bella is wearing cute floral overalls. I guess pants are ok on a baby girl as long a they're in a feminine print? I'm surprised they didnt put a shirt underneath because modesty.

Lauren, nobody cares about your 'shin care'. That being said I'm sure your shins are soft and pale because they rarely see the sun.

I agree that she's the next pregnancy announcement.

Edited by VeryNikeSeamstress
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, HereticHick said:

Umm, it was a Zoom baby shower. Lighten up a little. : )

I was responding to a question from someone in the UK about how Americans use the terms. It had nothing to do with your event.

• Upvote 4

• nelliebelle1197 locked, unlocked and locked this topic