IGNORED

Josiah & Lauren 17: Proud parents to Lauren's hat...and Bella

HerNameIsBuffy

Latest set of pictures from Joy's house. Everyone together to make wreaths. Jessa and Abbie in pants and Lauren in tight jeans with tears at the knees tucked into black boots!  Girl looks fabulous. Some of the Duggar women could learn a thing or two from her. 

• Upvote 7

17 hours ago, AussieKrissy said:

squeaky cheese for me is Halloumi cheese is that what you are meaning

Nope, I mean cheese curds. If you Google "Squeaky Cheese" it brings up all kinds of things about cheese curds. Below are just 2 examples of what I found.

What is squeaky cheese called?

Squeaky Cheese is the perfect name for young, mild cheddar, commonly known as cheese curds. As the title implies, this delectable treat 'squeaks' in its own special way when you chew it. Combined with its slightly salty flavor, Squeaky Cheese is a taste experience your palate won't soon forget.

What kind of cheese is squeaky cheese?

cheddar cheese

(More often than not, cheese curds are made during the process of making cheddar cheese. Like cheddar, the color can be white, yellow or orange.) The slightly rubbery texture causes the cheese curd to squeak when you bite into it. For this reason, cheese curds are also called "squeaky cheese."

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 2

3 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

Latest set of pictures from Joy's house. Everyone together to make wreaths. Jessa and Abbie in pants and Lauren in tight jeans with tears at the knees tucked into black boots!  Girl looks fabulous. Some of the Duggar women could learn a thing or two from her. 

I loathe on a visceral level that she's wearing gumboots inside though. It feels like the shoe equivalent of keeping your sunglasses on except worse.

• Upvote 5

3 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

Why oh why does Michelle have to be included in the "Sisters" afternoon??

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 4

1 hour ago, HereticHick said:

Where are these photos posted please?  TIA!

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, clueliss said:

I always take that as a sign it's filmed for the show.

I doubt it was filmed; Jessa is wearing those white sweatpants in the photos and I can't imagine she'd ever film wearing pants of any kind, but even more so something so casual. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, wendy-sparkles said:

I loathe on a visceral level that she's wearing gumboots inside though. It feels like the shoe equivalent of keeping your sunglasses on except worse.

Not to start the shoes on or not on in the house debate, but I know there’s some people's homes where I won’t take my shoes off because I know their floors aren’t clean. I have no idea about Joy’s floors, but maybe the floors are typically sticky from Gideon making messes that Joy doesn’t have time to clean immediately or gritty because Austin tracks dirt into the house with us work boots. If that was the case, I wouldn’t take my shoes off either. 

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

On 12/13/2020 at 12:02 PM, Satan'sFortress said:

Tidbits, a tasty cheese cracker from my youth, are no longer available in th U.S.  I was told there is an equivalent in Canada (I forget the name now) but couldn't find it when we were in Toronto area for a week.  :(

Hide contents

86535f5bf2ecdc4dc181f30196c14073.jpg.ec92d5080d366c8fb6e53aa0e7678ca1.jpg

I have family from Nova Scotia and New Brunswick.  I'd love to do an ancestry trip to both places some day. 

Gosh, how I miss Tid-Bits. I wondered why they disappeared. They had an excellent sharp cheddar taste.

13 hours ago, Marly said:

I love halloumi cheese so much ? I love it on the barbeque, I love it grilled on pita bread with lettuce, veggies and a yoghurt-garlic sauce. Yum! I'm actually eating it for dinner tonight, grilled on a wrap with onion, bell pepper, tomato, ice-berg lettuce and a spicy garlic sauce. I am really looking foward to dinner.

...You had me at spicy garlic sauce. Is this something you make or buy?

Annie's Shells & White Cheddar (https://www.annies.com/product/shells-white-cheddar-mac-cheese/) are excellent. I add butter instead of milk. I also stir in scrambled hamburger, and it's a fantastic meal. The only problem with the Annie's product is that you can't make ahead and reheat the mac & cheese; the cheese powder turns into oil.

• Upvote 3

17 hours ago, Marly said:

I love halloumi cheese so much ? I love it on the barbeque, I love it grilled on pita bread with lettuce, veggies and a yoghurt-garlic sauce. Yum! I'm actually eating it for dinner tonight, grilled on a wrap with onion, bell pepper, tomato, ice-berg lettuce and a spicy garlic sauce. I am really looking foward to dinner.

Fellow halloumi lover looking to be hit up with that recipe for the garlic sauce so I can mimic you ?

• Upvote 2

On another forum I cheat on FJ with, they were also talking recipes and someone posted a roasted veggie recipe that involves sprinkling "Garlic Expressions" over the veggies before roasting.  

I had to google it but it appears to be a sauce, so maybe that's similar to what is being referred to here?

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, HereticHick said:

I thought Joy called it a girls party rather than a sisters party? Other moms were likely invited, as well. 

• Upvote 2

All this Canadian food talk is making this Canadian expat very homesick. Luckily my father sent me a parcel of foods that I've missed for Christmas. I did ask for Kraft Dinner too ?

• Upvote 4
  • Love 4

On 12/17/2020 at 7:59 PM, moreorlessnu said:

Annie's Shells & White Cheddar (https://www.annies.com/product/shells-white-cheddar-mac-cheese/) are excellent. I add butter instead of milk. I also stir in scrambled hamburger, and it's a fantastic meal. The only problem with the Annie's product is that you can't make ahead and reheat the mac & cheese; the cheese powder turns into oil.

Excellent comfort food, and sold at Trader Joe's under their own label. We often add some spice to ours--like harissa paste or smoked paprika paste.

Edited by HereticHick
  • Upvote 3

I can't believe I missed an entire chunk of Canadian thread drift! 

Jumping in with my observations. 

Bagged Milk, I've lived in and or spent extensive time in Alberta, British Columbia, Ontario, Nova Scotia and Newfoundland and only ever seen bagged Milk in Ontario. I remember moving to Ontario when I did a Summer Internship and having to buy a milk jug...so strange! 

Poutine, I can only ever have this in the smallest amounts but I love it (when I can find it with a vegetarian gravy option) Newfoundland does Fries, Dressing and Gravy (Dressing is like stuffing) and ohmygarland it's amazing mr.may and I actually made it this week because I was craving it. 

@Satan'sFortress I can assure you Canada doesn't get all the good things. I'm still annoyed that Ragu spaghetti sauce is no longer sold here, I can't find Ben and Jerry's Chunky Monkey to save my life and I know of people who have to bring Jiff Peanut Butter back with them every time they travel because the stuff here just isn't the same. And don't get me started on Target, I could spend hours in Target. 

I forget who was talking about Bunny Hugs ( @viii ?) I've only heard them called that in one province and as soon as I hear someone call them that I know where they live...it's such a weird regional quirk! We live significantly closer to that province now and it still catches me by surprise when I hear them called that. 

I hate kraft dinner, I just can't stomach it. My quick and easy comfort food equivalent is Side Kicks pasta (and more recently instant mashed potatoes and Pillsbury croissants) if I want an "instant" mac and cheese fix the Amy's Frozen Mac and Cheese is my go to. I could easily eat multiple servings...so it's a good thing they are only sold in individual portions.

• Upvote 7

9 hours ago, LacyMay said:

And don't get me started on Target, I could spend hours in Target. 

Same! I miss Target so much. I watch Target shopping vlogs on YouTube a bit too much ?

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 1

As long as we are thread-drifting into food, I bought some "Chinese Style Black Bean Garlic Sauce". What can I do with it?

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, LacyMay said:

I hate kraft dinner, I just can't stomach it. My quick and easy comfort food equivalent is Side Kicks pasta (and more recently instant mashed potatoes and Pillsbury croissants) if I want an "instant" mac and cheese fix the Amy's Frozen Mac and Cheese is my go to. I could easily eat multiple servings...so it's a good thing they are only sold in individual portions.

Same! I hate kraft mac n cheese and my go-to comfort food substitute is Knorr pasta sides (chicken flavor only). Most people think that’s very bizarre. 

• Upvote 1

My elementary school cafeteria tried bagged milk for one year. It was a disaster. We figured out real quick that we could squirt milk at each other. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 9

9 hours ago, moreorlessnu said:

As long as we are thread-drifting into food, I bought some "Chinese Style Black Bean Garlic Sauce". What can I do with it?

Since it has a strong flavor, you may want to try pairing it with blander proteins like chicken or tofu first, as those'll blunt the pungency. Scallops are also good with it.

The jarred stuff tends not to be as salty as the dried version IME, but I still usually blend it with hoisin to even it out.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 2

1 hour ago, Grace said:

Did anyone already point out that someone commented "Very sad that you guys never include her" and Derick liked the comment.....

Really? Did you grab a screen shot?  Wow 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

2 hours ago, AussieKrissy said:

Really? Did you grab a screen shot?  Wow 

1199554727_Screenshot_20201227-081129_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.895bd8f347579414cd92a867b7709aeb.jpg

He really did like that comment. Must be hard for Jill.

• Upvote 6
  • Sad 5
  • WTF 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 4

• nelliebelle1197 locked, unlocked and locked this topic