IGNORED

Josiah & Lauren 17: Proud parents to Lauren's hat...and Bella

HerNameIsBuffy

10 hours ago, church_of_dog said:

As for traveling, while I don't dislike traveling, I'm enough of a homebody to actively dislike being away from home for any length of time.  So I don't miss that aspect of stay-at-home. 

I always feel excited about the idea of travel, but in reality I, too am a homebody. I have wanted to visit Canada for years though. I think it’s all down to Louise Penny and her series about Three Pines. ?

• Love 5

35 minutes ago, Kailash said:

I always feel excited about the idea of travel, but in reality I, too am a homebody. 

This is me exactly. I love the anticipation of a trip but in reality, I can't wait to get home to my own house and my own bed. 

I still want to go to England one day, though. That's my dream. 

• Upvote 3
  • Love 5

On 12/10/2020 at 9:53 AM, HeartsAFundie said:

https://www.whitemountainpuzzles.com/products/i-love-canada

I just noticed this puzzle is slightly different from the one we received.  Ours has the Montreal Canadiens logo as opposed to a Canadian dollar.    

I don't see any problem with that. Go Habs Go! ;)

@The butcher's wife Awwww it sounds like you had a lovely trip! And you've seen more of the Province than I. I'm ashamed that as a Quebecer I have not been to Gaspésie yet. I really need to check that on my bucket list.

That maple syrup pie intrigues me. I have never heard of that before. Though I'm certain it is delish.

@church_of_dog I love cheese curds. Pity you don't have that in the US. I don't need a poutine to eat it. I'm in Quebec and here they are sold in the grocery store in little bags, you can have them as snacks. I do agree they are better fresh but the store version is pretty yummy too.

• Upvote 3
  • Love 2

10 minutes ago, Vivi_music said:

I don't see any problem with that. Go Habs Go! ;)

@The butcher's wife Awwww it sounds like you had a lovely trip! And you've seen more of the Province than I. I'm ashamed that as a Quebecer I have not been to Gaspésie yet. I really need to check that on my bucket list.

That maple syrup pie intrigues me. I have never heard of that before. Though I'm certain it is delish.

@church_of_dog I love cheese curds. Pity you don't have that in the US. I don't need a poutine to eat it. I'm in Quebec and here they are sold in the grocery store in little bags, you can have them as snacks. I do agree they are better fresh but the store version is pretty yummy too.

I can buy cheese curds in most grocery stores in Iowa. Both yellow and white. I prefer yellow. They both squeak though. I think Shullsburg is the most common brand.

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, viii said:

This will make me a bad Canadian but... I'm not a big fan of cheese curds. I prefer my poutine with melted mozza cheese! 

I misread “poutine” for “poteen”, a traditional Irish distilled beverage which is very potent (ABV 40%-90%)! Just couldn’t understand why everyone was having it with cheese. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 19

Hubby and I had plans (incl plane tix) to visit Montreal and QC for June 2020... well THAT didn't happen.  But we've been to Vancouver twice and Victoria once (separate trip from the Vancouver trips).  The second time to Vancouver we were there for all of about 8 hours... it was a long layover on the way home from Australia so we went to Granville Island and then back to the airport.  And hubby goes on work trips to Toronto about once a year but I've never been there. 

• Upvote 2

I think of cheese curds as being very midwestern. Didn’t know they were also popular in Canada. I’m pretty sure you can get them throughout the Midwest, especially Wisconsin. 

• Upvote 5

@Vivi_music We have bags of New Bothwell cheese curds called Squeakers in grocery stores too. Love ‘em! Gaspé is also on my bucket list; my mom’s mother’s side of the family is from there going back to the late 1700’s. You can imagine the horror when her grandmother married a Scottish Presbyterian, lol. Other than being tall (I’m 5’4 and my great grandmother was 4’8), I’m a throw back in terms of appearance to the Gaspé side of the family. 

• Upvote 4

Tidbits, a tasty cheese cracker from my youth, are no longer available in th U.S.  I was told there is an equivalent in Canada (I forget the name now) but couldn't find it when we were in Toronto area for a week.  :(

Spoiler

86535f5bf2ecdc4dc181f30196c14073.jpg.ec92d5080d366c8fb6e53aa0e7678ca1.jpg

I have family from Nova Scotia and New Brunswick.  I'd love to do an ancestry trip to both places some day. 

Edited by Satan'sFortress
Put under spoiler. Fixed typos.
  • Upvote 1

On 12/13/2020 at 12:20 PM, Ash said:

Those would be Cheese Bits.

Thanks!  Why does Canada get all the good stuff!!??!!

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 4

On 12/11/2020 at 9:30 PM, Johannah said:

I’m pretty sure you can get them throughout the Midwest, especially Wisconsin. 

You can definitely get them in Wisconsin. They deep fry them and they are delicious.  You can also them fresh and the best curds squeak.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 3

On 12/11/2020 at 11:43 AM, viii said:

This is me exactly. I love the anticipation of a trip but in reality, I can't wait to get home to my own house and my own bed. 

I still want to go to England one day, though. That's my dream. 

Mine too. I always say when I get off the plane (or am on actual English soil), I will bend down and kiss the ground! 

On 12/11/2020 at 12:05 PM, Not that josh's mom said:

I can buy cheese curds in most grocery stores in Iowa. Both yellow and white. I prefer yellow. They both squeak though. I think Shullsburg is the most common brand.

Several restaurants in my area (I'm from Illinois) have deep fried cheese curds. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

6 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

Several restaurants in my area (I'm from Illinois) have deep fried cheese curds. 

That sounds so good and so wrong at the same time and now I'm craving it.

• Haha 4

On 12/13/2020 at 4:33 AM, Expectopatronus said:

@Vivi_music We have bags of New Bothwell cheese curds called Squeakers in grocery stores too. Love ‘em! Gaspé is also on my bucket list; my mom’s mother’s side of the family is from there going back to the late 1700’s. You can imagine the horror when her grandmother married a Scottish Presbyterian, lol. Other than being tall (I’m 5’4 and my great grandmother was 4’8), I’m a throw back in terms of appearance to the Gaspé side of the family. 

Haha, my family WERE Scottish Presybterians living on the Gaspé. 170 years and counting. I haven't a clue what their relationship was like with their neighbours, I wish I knew more about the culture and history of rural Quebec to be able to place them and their experiences a little better. I understand there were a lot of Scots there. It's funny that my grandfather used to say a few phrases that I now know are very Glasgow, a place where even his grandparents hadn't lived, but which must have continued to be repeated through his family.

• Upvote 6

On 12/11/2020 at 1:05 PM, Not that josh's mom said:

Our daughter is in her high school band.  Our latest fund raiser was Florida citrus and Wisconsin Shullsburg cheese.  I haven't tried the block cheese, but the curds and spreads are very good.

On 12/11/2020 at 7:30 PM, Johannah said:

I think of cheese curds as being very midwestern. Didn’t know they were also popular in Canada. I’m pretty sure you can get them throughout the Midwest, especially Wisconsin. 

Cheese curds are DISGUSTING, and yes they are very popular in WI and many parts of the Midwest. I've heard it called squeaky cheese in other parts of the country.  I think they are fairly popular through out much of the US, especially at fairs, fried cheese curds are always available and there is always a line for them. ?

8 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Cheese curds are DISGUSTING, and yes they are very popular in WI and many parts of the Midwest. I've heard it called squeaky cheese in other parts of the country.  I think they are fairly popular through out much of the US, especially at fairs, fried cheese curds are always available and there is always a line for them. ?

squeaky cheese for me is Halloumi cheese is that what you are meaning

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 6

On 12/11/2020 at 5:07 PM, Kailash said:

I always feel excited about the idea of travel, but in reality I, too am a homebody. I have wanted to visit Canada for years though. I think it’s all down to Louise Penny and her series about Three Pines. ?

We had a holiday to Montreal and Quebec cancelled in June due to covid. Hope Three Pines is still there in a couple of years time  when we can travel again. It's my favourite place I always dream of visiting.

For anyone who hasn't read Louise Penny's books, you have such a treat in store.

And yes, Three Pines only exists in your imagination, but we we would all love it to be real

www.louisepenny.com

• Love 3

I was supposed to spend a week in Jasper and Banff in September. Thank god I paid for everything in January... Got full refunds for my flights, accommodation, and rental car. But I'm still sad I missed out on my planned larch hikes.

• Upvote 3
  • Love 2

12 hours ago, AussieKrissy said:

I love halloumi cheese so much ? I love it on the barbeque, I love it grilled on pita bread with lettuce, veggies and a yoghurt-garlic sauce. Yum! I'm actually eating it for dinner tonight, grilled on a wrap with onion, bell pepper, tomato, ice-berg lettuce and a spicy garlic sauce. I am really looking foward to dinner.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2

15 hours ago, AussieKrissy said:

In my husband's family, squeaky cheese means leipäjuusto. But I'm allergic to dairy so I've never tried it.

• Upvote 1

• nelliebelle1197 locked, unlocked and locked this topic