IGNORED

Josiah & Lauren 17: Proud parents to Lauren's hat...and Bella

HerNameIsBuffy

I am really enjoying the conversation about Canada.  I was supposed to go to Ottawa this past May but due to COVID we sadly had to cancel.  I have been to Montreal twice and Windsor ON once and would love to see more of this beautiful country, especially since I have French-Canadian relatives. 

There's a really cool "I Love Canada" collage puzzle that encompasses so much of the country at once, including landmarks, food, pop culture, sports and attractions.  We ordered it, figuring it was the closest we would come to Canada this year and really enjoyed putting it together and learning more about what Canada has to offer.  I am really excited now about rebooking my trip, whenever that happens.  

https://www.whitemountainpuzzles.com/products/i-love-canada

I just noticed this puzzle is slightly different from the one we received.  Ours has the Montreal Canadiens logo as opposed to a Canadian dollar.    

Edited by HeartsAFundie
  • Upvote 5

1 hour ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

@HeartsAFundie I was going to Seattle & up into Vancouver in for my birthday this year, but NOPE, stupid COVID. 

The US/Canadian border isn't even open yet.  From what I read, it's closed until at least January 2021 and will be re-evaluated at that time.   

https://www.travelinglifestyle.net/canada-reopening-borders/

I checked with the touring company and note my Ottawa trip was rescheduled for next May but I highly doubt it will be a go.  Better safe than sorry. 

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, indianabones said:

I was in Canada for four days in January and had poutine three times- I'm obsessed! Also noted the Kraft Dinner thing when I was at the grocery store. Couldn't find bags of milk, though. I brought lots of Timbits and smarties and ketchup chips and maple candy back home with me.

So bummed my other two Canadian trips were cancelled this year but at least I got my single (snowy) visit in...

Bags of milk aren't that common here. I think it's maybe more of an Eastern thing, because I've traveled extensively in BC, Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba and I've yet to see bagged milk anywhere. 

Lays Ketchup chips are the best. Ruffles All Dressed are an equal contender. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

I've enjoyed the posts on the respective Vancouver and Seattle subreddits about how much we miss each other's cities. The border closure has been SO frustrating, even though I know, rationally, it's for the best.

Edited by indianabones
  • Upvote 5
  • Love 2

13 hours ago, ophelia said:

I never had Mac and Cheese, but I'm really craving a dish like this. Do you have any recommendations? I'd prefer to make it from scratch so if you have any favourite recipes I'd love to try them out.

Try this recipe: https://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/12/Fall-To-Your-Knees-Mac-And-Che118531.shtml

If you're at all sensitive to dairy this might kill you. It just might be worth it. . .

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Thank You 1

Canadian here, and loving this food conversation.

Re: Kraft Dinner, I remember eating it at friends' houses as a kid. The bright orange colour squicked me out (not a fan of processed cheese), but I'd always wind up having seconds. My family ate President's Choice white cheddar mac n' cheese, and it remained a go-to comfort food for years. I generally doctor it up with brocolli, green onions, extra sharp cheddar, sour cream and bacon. I like to serve it with freshly ground black pepper and a generous drizzle of a Tabasco style hot sauce (ideally with chipotle). I call it 'Sinner's Dinner'.

My most recent incarnations of Sinner's Dinner have been made from scratch with Cavatappi noodles. The sauce could contain any combination of cheeses (mainly Sharp Cheddar, but I've added Monterey Jack, Mozzarella, Asiago, and Swiss on different occasions), and it's topped with a Panko crust. When I'm being extra fancy, I use Wild Boar Bacon. It takes more time to prep than the boxed stuff, but it's soooo worth it.

As for Poutine, the best stuff I've had uses real skin-on potato fries that are a medium thickness. The gravy's dark brown, the cheesecurds are large and squeaky. I get it with big chunks of Montreal Smoked Meat, but there are plenty of good topping options (so far I've tried bacon, pulled pork, Butter Chicken, and chicken and peas). A good way to eat holiday turkey leftovers is to make poutine.

As for must-try Canadian junk food, seek out President's Choice Decadent Chocolate Chip Cookies. Most President's Choice products are really good, and worth stocking your Air BNB kitchen with when borders are open again.

Re: Bannock. Delicious! Also good, Indian Tacos (bannock topped with typical taco toppings).

Edited by VeryNikeSeamstress
  • Upvote 7
  • Love 1

22 minutes ago, VeryNikeSeamstress said:

Re: Bannock. Delicious! Also good, Indian Tacos (bannock topped with typical taco toppings).

Here in the lower 48, "Indian Tacos" (or sometimes called "Navajo Tacos") are usually  made with frybread: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frybread. Very popular treats at PowWows.

• Upvote 5

18 hours ago, ophelia said:

I never had Mac and Cheese, but I'm really craving a dish like this. Do you have any recommendations? I'd prefer to make it from scratch so if you have any favourite recipes I'd love to try them out.

My mom always used boiled elbow noodles which she added to cream of tomato soup. Only add enough milk to the tin of soup to make it saucy. Then grate cheddar on top and toss it in the microwave until the cheese melts. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

On 12/9/2020 at 9:02 AM, clueliss said:

Per Merriam Webster
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/stead

so do they mean office or do they mean help? 

I think they mean steadfast, as in firm and unwavering, like being steadfast in your faith, or I guess in this case, your hope? Jeremy probably thought steadfast hope didn’t have the ring to it that he was looking for, so without consulting a dictionary or another human, decided he could assume stead means the same thing. He maybe could have gotten away with steadfastness, but that was not going to fit well on a t-shirt. 

I am very very far from a bible expert, but google tells me this verse is in the KJV:

Hebrews 6:18-19 That by two immutable things, in which it was impossible for God to lie, we might have a strong consolation, who have fled for refuge to lay hold upon the hope set before us: Which hope we have as an anchor of the soul, both sure and steadfast, and which entereth into that within the veil

• Upvote 2

I've been to BC and AB, and lived for a year in Ontario - I didn't see any bagged milk (much to my disappointment). But I saw bagged milk and all sorts of fun chip flavours when I visited PEI.

I miss crossing the border.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, AmericanRose said:

I've been to BC and AB, and lived for a year in Ontario - I didn't see any bagged milk (much to my disappointment). But I saw bagged milk and all sorts of fun chip flavours when I visited PEI.

I’m surprised you didn’t see bagged milk in Ontario. My mom still lives there and buys it all the time. She’s in southwestern Ontario so maybe it was location? We do not have bagged milk in the west, I am in Alberta. 

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, AmericanRose said:

God I miss traveling in general. I've never been to Canada, but just about anywhere sounds like heaven right now.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 9

16 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Here is a recipe I've used before, it is really good. 

8 hours ago, nolongerIFBx said:

Try this recipe: https://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/12/Fall-To-Your-Knees-Mac-And-Che118531.shtml

If you're at all sensitive to dairy this might kill you. It just might be worth it. . .

Thank you, guys!! I'm the first day out of quarantine and will go grocery shopping ASAP.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, VeryNikeSeamstress said:

Canadian here, and loving this food conversation.

Re: Kraft Dinner, I remember eating it at friends' houses as a kid. The bright orange colour squicked me out (not a fan of processed cheese), but I'd always wind up having seconds. My family ate President's Choice white cheddar mac n' cheese, and it remained a go-to comfort food for years. I generally doctor it up with brocolli, green onions, extra sharp cheddar, sour cream and bacon. I like to serve it with freshly ground black pepper and a generous drizzle of a Tabasco style hot sauce (ideally with chipotle). I call it 'Sinner's Dinner'.

My most recent incarnations of Sinner's Dinner have been made from scratch with Cavatappi noodles. The sauce could contain any combination of cheeses (mainly Sharp Cheddar, but I've added Monterey Jack, Mozzarella, Asiago, and Swiss on different occasions), and it's topped with a Panko crust. When I'm being extra fancy, I use Wild Boar Bacon. It takes more time to prep than the boxed stuff, but it's soooo worth it.

As for Poutine, the best stuff I've had uses real skin-on potato fries that are a medium thickness. The gravy's dark brown, the cheesecurds are large and squeaky. I get it with big chunks of Montreal Smoked Meat, but there are plenty of good topping options (so far I've tried bacon, pulled pork, Butter Chicken, and chicken and peas). A good way to eat holiday turkey leftovers is to make poutine.

As for must-try Canadian junk food, seek out President's Choice Decadent Chocolate Chip Cookies. Most President's Choice products are really good, and worth stocking your Air BNB kitchen with when borders are open again.

I just don't understand why cheese in the US doesn't even HAVE curds.  :pb_lol: 

Kidding, sort of, but I can't even imagine how/what is this entire aspect of cheese I've never seen and have no idea what its relationship is to the stuff I know as cheese.

(I know some folks have said it's like cottage cheese, and I can accept that cottage-cheese-but-bigger MIGHT be what cheese curds are, but 1) they don't squeak and 2) I can't imagine them being good on french fries.  So I'm really hoping that's not what they are)

As for traveling, while I don't dislike traveling, I'm enough of a homebody to actively dislike being away from home for any length of time.  So I don't miss that aspect of stay-at-home.  But I have always been attracted to Canada and it's entirely possible that several years from now, after my mom is gone, I might move to Canada.  I am already actively searching for the right area and kind of town I might like.  So far I'm looking at the tiny towns in the BC/AB border vicinity.  Anyone here from Ymir?  Salmo?  Sigh.  Ok, how about the big city of Nelson?

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

I love real poutine. Before Covid I was so excited to see it on the menu at a new place and I ordered it ... but it was just grated cheese! I was SO upset! ?

It is hard to get good (real) poutine here! 

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, church_of_dog said:

I just don't understand why cheese in the US doesn't even HAVE curds.  :pb_lol: 

Kidding, sort of, but I can't even imagine how/what is this entire aspect of cheese I've never seen and have no idea what its relationship is to the stuff I know as cheese.

(I know some folks have said it's like cottage cheese, and I can accept that cottage-cheese-but-bigger MIGHT be what cheese curds are, but 1) they don't squeak and 2) I can't imagine them being good on french fries.  So I'm really hoping that's not what they are)

As for traveling, while I don't dislike traveling, I'm enough of a homebody to actively dislike being away from home for any length of time.  So I don't miss that aspect of stay-at-home.  But I have always been attracted to Canada and it's entirely possible that several years from now, after my mom is gone, I might move to Canada.  I am already actively searching for the right area and kind of town I might like.  So far I'm looking at the tiny towns in the BC/AB border vicinity.  Anyone here from Ymir?  Salmo?  Sigh.  Ok, how about the big city of Nelson?

They have cheese curds at Fred’s/Kroger if you live near one. They’re yummy, but so salty! 

• Thank You 2

The kind of cheese curd you put in poutine is not really like cottage cheese. The curds are larger, light yellow, and only the tiniest bit moist. They squeak in your teeth when kept at room temperature. In the store here, they're not refrigerated because they're sent in fresh every morning and they're best eaten the same day. I believe the authentic product is not legal in the US because it's considered raw cheese. Here's a pic:

Spoiler

cheesecurd.thumb.jpg.53a8dba18bcaedf22b14f808e5dbc266.jpg

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 3

My husband, toddler, and I went to Vermont last January and then drove up to Montréal for a day and it was so pretty! We froze our butts off but it was so worth it and I wish we had more time there. The pastries were so delicious and I may have snuck some cheese back with me. My husband has been working on learning French so he was able to practice a little. I’d love to go back when it’s warm and explore the city more. Prior to that trip I had only been to Toronto once as a teen and the Canadian side of Niagara Falls. Honestly we’d consider a move to Canada but don’t have enough savings or a sponsor. 

• Upvote 1
  • Love 3

Love the Canada talk.  It's been several years since I've been but I grew up going to Whitehorse (Yukon) pretty regularly, and when I was in college in Portland we would go up to Vancouver for spring break, since the drinking age was only 19 there (and it seemed like there was a guy selling weed at most bars). 

Once I drove from Oregon through Washington, BC, and the Yukon on the way home to Alaska and that was really fun. I had no idea till then that there was actual desert in BC.  I've only been to Montreal in eastern Canada (lovely train ride from NYC), but I'd love to see more of the country someday. 

@church_of_dog, I once had cheese curds at the Tillamook Cheese factory on the Oregon coast, so if you're ever near there, give it a try. They only had them at the factory, not in stores. 

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 1

We were in Saskatchewan last winter and it was a bit tricky for us Irish to discern American from Canadian speak. For example 

American: Mom, Canadian: Mum, Irish: Mam. 

American: Soda, Canadian: Pop, Irish: Soft drink.

We are buckets of poutine, some better than others and the world’s best bacon for breakfast every day.

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

Oh, Canada! Our first big vacation as a couple was a ginormous 6000+ km roadtrip. We started and ended in Toronto. We did Niagara Falls, Niagara on the lake, visited Midland for the Hurons museums, did a canoe daytrip in Algonquin Park, visited Ottawa, Montréal and Québec, toured the Gaspé peninsula, went whale watching in La Malbaie and visited quite a few more national parks along the way. It was so, so beautiful! We were also surprised by how good (and hot, I have pictures of me walking in short shorts and a tanktop in Québec) the weather was. We arrived in mid-august and only had about two rainy days, though the locals did complain about having about a month of rain before we got there, so we got lucky. We camped whenever we could in a little tent. City-wise we especially loved Toronto; but really, everything was fantastic. I would love to go back, but we kind of have a rule to not travel twice to the same places (South Africa is another strong contender for going again; we did a similarly big roadtrip and massively enjoyed it); pre-Covid we were vaguely planning to do a roadtrip in western Canada the next chance we get to have a longer holiday.

Poutine obviously is delicious, and I still dream of a maple syrup pie I had for dessert in Québec one evening. We frequently do our best to recreate Poutine at home. We don't get the curds in Germany either and had read somewhere that the best replacement would be to form balls out of the pre-grated Mozzarella cheese, but we didn't like the texture and taste of that at all. So we always use fresh Mozzarella. I realise it's not the same at all, but it's still delicious and the closest thing we can get, so ?‍♀️

• Love 5

• nelliebelle1197 locked, unlocked and locked this topic