IGNORED

Josiah & Lauren 17: Proud parents to Lauren's hat...and Bella

HerNameIsBuffy

I don't care either way about Lauren's hat. But I despise Ben's Amish hat with the hate of 10,000 burning suns.

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 18
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

On 11/29/2020 at 11:10 PM, Vivi_music said:

Thank you, a tuque. I heard anglo-canadian calling it a toque and cleary, as a french-canadian, that is just wrong. :P:P;);)

I never heard that term until I listened to Louise Penny's Chief Inspector Gamache books!

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 2

Bob and Doug McKenzie's Twelve Days of Christmas

Five golden touques

Four pounds of backbacon

Three French toast

Two turtlenecks

And a beer in a tree!

• Upvote 12

On 12/1/2020 at 11:57 AM, viii said:

This is funny to me as a Canadian who lives and grew up on the prairies. We have always done it as toque. 

I always thought a "toque" was the big chefs hat.

• Haha 1
  • I Agree 3

On 12/4/2020 at 4:27 PM, IReallyAmHopewell said:

I never heard that term until I listened to Louise Penny's Chief Inspector Gamache books!

I said this exact thing the other day when people were talking about licorice pipes! ???

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, church_of_dog said:

I said this exact thing the other day when people were talking about licorice pipes! ???

I remember being perplexed as a kid by the fact that not everyone calls Kraft Dinner by its name. To me, macaroni and cheese is homemade and the stuff out of a box is Kraft dinner. Total Canadian-ism. Anyone want to join me for pickerel, sucre à la crème and a side of bannock? 

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 5
  • I Agree 3

11 minutes ago, Expectopatronus said:

I remember being perplexed as a kid by the fact that not everyone calls Kraft Dinner by its name. To me, macaroni and cheese is homemade and the stuff out of a box is Kraft dinner. Total Canadian-ism. Anyone want to join me for pickerel, sucre à la crème and a side of bannock? 

I never heard of Kraft dinner til I was an adult, though I loved Kraft macaroni and cheese as a kid.

And I don't know what the other three things are you just mentioned! :pb_lol:

I would like to try poutine at least once though.  (I know that's considered Canadian junk food, right?  Just once!)

Edited by church_of_dog
  • Upvote 6

13 hours ago, church_of_dog said:

That too! I had to Google them! We briefly had Tim Horton's so I had a clue there!

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

14 hours ago, church_of_dog said:

I never heard of Kraft dinner til I was an adult, though I loved Kraft macaroni and cheese as a kid.

I would like to try poutine at least once though.  (I know that's considered Canadian junk food, right?  Just once!)

Pickerel is fish. It can be a bit strong for some people’s taste but I like it. Sucre à la crème is sugar, butter and cream cooked on the stovetop. It’s a Christmas tradition and probably makes dentists shudder but it’s so good!! Bannock is Indigenous and tastes like a tea biscuit or scone. In Manitoba, these are all pretty popular foods. And yes, poutine is originally from Québec but now popular across Canada. It’s amazing but artery clogging. Butter chicken poutine is the best!! 

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 3

16 hours ago, church_of_dog said:

I hadn't heard Kraft Dinner until 199? when Barenaked Ladies song, If I had a 1,000,000 Dollars where, we wouldn't have to eat Kraft dinner, But we would eat Kraft dinner, Of course we would, we'd just eat more.  :laughing-jumpingpurple:

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 9
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 3

I don't care that I'm a grown adult woman who can cook a variety of dishes. When I'm hungover or lazy - Kraft Dinner just slaps differently. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 4

Back to the "Hope & Stead" name... if no one understands the meaning behind "stead," or if it is unclear to most, I don't think it is an effective name. And when you say it aloud, it sounds like "hope instead." I get the "hope" part, since that seems to be the theme they're running with on their podcast as well, but "stead" is really strange to me. I checked their website, and they don't even mention "stead." They just have a sentence about hope. I think "stead" is just a filler word. I've noticed a trend in small Instagram focused business names: many follow the pattern of *Noun* & *Noun*.

Also, their charities (so far) are Jeremy's mom's charity and Compassion.

• Upvote 5

18 hours ago, Expectopatronus said:

It's exactly that. Macaroni and cheese is the nice (and sometimes fancy) homemade version, with gratin cheese and nice spirally noodles. KD is the weirdly orange stuff in the box! :P

Though I'm Canadian and I had no clue what pickerel was before reading your post. As for Sucre à la crème, I often describe it has similar to fudge in terms of shape and texture. But instead of being a chocolate flavour, it's... sugar. Very creamy and good and certainly a staple of the Holidays. Personnally I find it too intensely sweet for my taste. I'll take one square to have a taste, because I like it. But I usually stop there because if I take more, it makes me feel a bit sick.

PS: Best poutine variety is with pulled pork.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Perrierwithlemon said:

And when you say it aloud, it sounds like "hope instead." 

Do you think that maybe that is what they meant? To hope instead of . . . something else? Still kind of dumb,  but maybe it was intentional? 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Satan'sFortress said:

Do you think that maybe that is what they meant? To hope instead of . . . something else? Still kind of dumb,  but maybe it was intentional? 

Maybe??? I didn’t think that they’d be the type to be intentionally cheesy—unintentionally, yes. Does anyone happen to know if they said anything about the origins of the name on their podcast?

Also, I just realized I posted this in the wrong thread!! I guess that’s what happens when I click through “next unread topic” for a long time! ?‍♀️ :laughing-jumpingpurple:

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

On 12/5/2020 at 1:27 AM, IReallyAmHopewell said:

The books are awesome!!! ?

Regarding “hope and stead”: I was really surprised cause I thought stead is a horse but that’s steed. So the name is nonsense, but at least it has thought me something about English vocabulary... 

• Upvote 4

Per Merriam Webster
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/stead

stead

noun

Save Word

To save this word, you'll need to log in.

\ ˈsted

\

Definition of stead

(Entry 1 of 2)

1 : the office, place, or function ordinarily occupied or carried out by someone or something else acted in his brother's stead

2 : advantage —used chiefly in the phrase to stand one in good stead

3 obsolete : locality, place

stead

verb

steaded; steading; steads

Definition of stead (Entry 2 of 2)

transitive verb

: to be of avail to : help

so do they mean office or do they mean help? 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

If you want to up your Kraft Mac and cheese game, throw in a cup of grated sharp cheddar. OMG, is all I can say. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 1

20 hours ago, viii said:

I don't care that I'm a grown adult woman who can cook a variety of dishes. When I'm hungover or lazy - Kraft Dinner just slaps differently. 

There is nothing better than some mac & cheese (Kraft Dinner) when you are having a bad day. We usually serve frozen fish sticks or chicken nuggets with it for a full meal, DH & I call this gourmet eatin. It was always a hit when the kids were small too, no one complained about dinner if we had mac & cheese and fish sticks or chicken nuggets. 

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 1

10 hours ago, SassyPants said:

If you want to up your Kraft Mac and cheese game, throw in a cup of grated sharp cheddar. OMG, is all I can say.

And/or a tablespoon or so of butter. Real butter.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

14 hours ago, SassyPants said:

I add mixed vegetables to pretend that it has some nutritional merit.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 13
  • Love 1

I never had Mac and Cheese, but I'm really craving a dish like this. Do you have any recommendations? I'd prefer to make it from scratch so if you have any favourite recipes I'd love to try them out.

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

When it comes to mac and cheese there is no bad. I love Kraft mac and cheese, Stouffer's mac and cheese and homemade. Their all so good.  Homemade is the best but if you don't have the time or ingredients or its the middle of night Kraft's quick and easy to make or throw a Stouffer's mac and cheese in the microwave. 

Edited by JordynDarby5
  • Upvote 3

I was in Canada for four days in January and had poutine three times- I'm obsessed! Also noted the Kraft Dinner thing when I was at the grocery store. Couldn't find bags of milk, though. I brought lots of Timbits and smarties and ketchup chips and maple candy back home with me.

So bummed my other two Canadian trips were cancelled this year but at least I got my single (snowy) visit in...

Edited by indianabones
  • Upvote 9
  • Love 5

6 hours ago, ophelia said:

I never had Mac and Cheese, but I'm really craving a dish like this. Do you have any recommendations? I'd prefer to make it from scratch so if you have any favourite recipes I'd love to try them out.

Here is a recipe I've used before, it is really good. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 3

• nelliebelle1197 locked, unlocked and locked this topic