IGNORED

Harrisy

dripcurl

Josh is promoting his film again (sigh)

Shannon is making music (cool)

Their daughter is painting naked people (also cool)

Their son is making terrariums (would be cool if he wasn’t doing it with his stupid grandpa Gregg) 

Speaking ofGregg, he apparently got married again to I don’t know who (ick!) 

Isaac is a photog who shoots nude models (also ick! I am pro nudity but Isaac has always given me the creeps irl. I’d never disrobe in front of him.)

I am not interested enough in the twins go know what they are up to, last I checked, nothing.

All of this is per instagram.

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 8

2 hours ago, hasunah said:

I think the terrarium maker is the youngest of Greg's kids . 

That is James, Josh’s son :) Isaac is the youngest of Greg’s.

12 hours ago, dripcurl said:

That is James, Josh’s son :) Isaac is the youngest of Greg’s.

As far as I could sleuth it out . Josh has three kids , 2 daughters and a son also named Joshua who is currently  in High School . 

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

Looks like Daddy Harris has gotten a little lax.  How is this strappy tank top suddenly ok as advertising on the front page of his terrarium website?

ahh hypocrisy!

2EC97730-1DFE-4956-97DE-EBFEE8E0C0AD.png

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

Joshua Harris standards have changed on many things.  He has stated he no longer considers himself a Christian. He took a picture of himself eating a donut at Pride. 

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, hasunah said:

As far as I could sleuth it out . Josh has three kids , 2 daughters and a son also named Joshua who is currently  in High School . 

Thank you, my apologies. I’ve been running a fever and stuck at home the past two days, my brain cells are not working at max capacity.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

• 3 weeks later...

I didn't see you had made this thread @dripcurl! A little late, but thank you!!!

ACCKKKKK. This family drives me up the WALL. They spent DECADES being holier-than-thou and literally shoved their beliefs into thousands of families' homes (possibly more???) but oh man, now they are super cool and borderline-liberal, whoop-de-doo! I'd be congratulating them if they hadn't left such a wake of destruction in their midsts. 

Gregg Harris is a man of questionable morals at best. He was a big shot in the homeschooling community in the 80s and 90s, he even wrote a book about Christian homeschooling.

He was part of a lawsuit involving his friend at the time - Cheryl Lindsey [Seelhoff]. Cheryl did the unthinkable thing in the community and filed for divorce from her husband Claude (which was a big deal because she ran a popular quiverfull-ish magazine). Claude told Gregg to keep an eye on her for him. So Gregg would meet with Cheryl and then go tell Claude about everything that had been said. Cheryl even told Gregg about Claude's anger problems but Gregg testified in court that he didn't know anything about Claude being abusive. Gregg and Claude were suspicious that Cheryl was having an affair so Gregg, knowing Cheryl was staying at the same hotel for a conference, dialed up the suspected man's number to ask if he might have lost something at that very hotel. The man said yes and Gregg, being a very mature grown-up, immediately tattled to Cheryl's former pastor. He then called up and told an advertiser in Cheryl's magazine about the affair. Then he withdrew his own support from the magazine. Then Cheryl's former pastor announced her affair to the entire church she used to attend. Gregg, on the stand at the trial (which was mostly about people in the community, including Gregg, conspiring to financially take down her magazine due to the affair), testified that he thought Cheryl dressed inappropriately, was a hypocritical Christian, and was "a sheep" who was still liable to her former pastor as her "shepherd," and therefore felt his actions were moral. 
This whole thing has gives me a gigantic, icky feeling about Gregg Harris. 
All this stuff is detailed in court documents and you can easily bring up articles on google about the whole scandal. (I used this for my info: https://narratively.com/the-brutal-ex-communication-of-a-christian-homeschooling-pioneer/)

Then of course Josh and the whole fucking I Kissed Dating Goodbye debacle. Not much more to be said about that. It's already been discussed plenty on these forums and many other places on the internet. 

The twins Alex and Brett and that stupid Rebelution thing. They not only published their books but they also had a forum where you could discuss ways to "impact the culture." Their modesty survey is now infamous. I will never forget that around the same time, they put a video up where Brett was in the gym working out. SOOOOO modest! Oh yeah, the survey was only about women being immodest, not men. 

But now they can skip about doing whatever they want, photographing nude women, some of the boys wearing makeup, getting divorces, and everything is tra-la-la like nothing happened and they didn't significantly impact many, many lives for the worse. 

At least the twins are good at keeping private lives now and staying out of the spotlight. Alex graduated from Harvard Law and he works in immigration law and has spoken out against Donald Trump and his horrible policies. Brett I think only does remote writing workshops right now because his wife is basically allergic to the world and they are constantly moving to new places in the middle of nowhere for her health. 

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 6
  • Love 1

Thank you @meep for recapping that situation with Gregg Harris, I remember my parents talking about him doing something very shady to a homeschool mom and I appreciate having my memory refreshed. I have seen him in real life too, and he carries himself very arrogantly. Isaac seems the most arrogant of all, but then again I haven’t seen any of the others in real life besides Greg.

When I was in speech and debate I ran across Isaac quite often, and I remember one time In the common area (where you hung out if you weren’t participating in a debate round or keeping time for wine or giving a speech) I was sitting alone at a table eating lunch, and I saw him walking past me with his trash from his lunch to throw it away in a large garbage can.

Well I guess taking five more steps would’ve killed him and he hates women, because he looked at me, plopped his trash down on my table, and then scurried away. 

Edited by dripcurl
  • Upvote 1
  • Angry 1
  • WTF 8

Gregg and his youngest son started attending the last church the kids and I were members of. They joined the coffee team, with my kids and me. I was already on my way out, but when he joined, it was another nail in the coffin of my participation with that church. I figured any church he felt comfortable at, I didn’t want to be part of. It was a very trendy hipster church, so seemed like a weird choice for him. This was probably about four years ago.

My best Christian friend was part of high school youth group with Josh, and had a huge crush on him. She’s reeling at his faith devolution.

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 2

I imagine a whole generation of Evangelical Christian's are reeling at Josh Harrises de-conversion. He really was the unquestioned golden child for a minute there. 

I mean if Joshua Harris was never really saved, which is how many Evangelicals spin it then how can we be sure anyone is saved? (Purely rhetorical. I am an ex-evangelucal turned atheist.) 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

19 minutes ago, Pecansforeveryone said:

I imagine a whole generation of Evangelical Christian's are reeling at Josh Harrises de-conversion. He really was the unquestioned golden child for a minute there. 

I mean if Joshua Harris was never really saved, which is how many Evangelicals spin it then how can we be sure anyone is saved? (Purely rhetorical. I am an ex-evangelucal turned atheist.) 

Absolutely! If I were still in that world this would’ve shaken me terribly. This happened all the time with “heroes of the faith” whenever they fell from their lofty thrones. It led to me questioning my own salvation many times. I eventually got to a place of despair over my Shrodinger salvation that eventually it was part of what led me into my current state of happy apathy regarding faith/belief/Christianity. 

Edited by Giraffe
Adding happy. I don’t mind being apathetic.
  • Upvote 7

5 hours ago, Ozlsn said:

That just made me laugh out loud. And yes, it is a very apt description of the mind games.

It’s such a terrible consequence of these teachings. Once saved always saved and saved only by putting your faith in Jesus with no works required, but here are 10,369 caveats. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 4

@Giraffe, I agree 100%. I mean these types paint Catholicism as "so harsh and works based." Hell, as an ex-evangelical i would have killed for a few Hail Mary's to set me right on my way. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

20 hours ago, Giraffe said:

It’s such a terrible consequence of these teachings. Once saved always saved and saved only by putting your faith in Jesus with no works required, but here are 10,369 caveats. 

There was a felt banner at my former fundie-lite church(which was nowhere near as rule-laden as some others)that said “I Died For You—Are You Living For Me?”

• Sad 1