• Banana
  • Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
closetcagebaby

John Ortberg’s Estranged Son Accuses Him of Protecting Pedophile

Howl

I just re-read the twitter unroll and all of the text in the tweet that was posted by Daniel's wife; there is no reference to the Kentler Project. The link I posted above was on the internet;  came across it randomly.  If I can find another reference relative to the Ortbergs and Kentler Project, I'll post it. 

The whole thing is heartbreaking and crazy.  There a lot of focus on the possibility of physical abuse, but the fact that part of the attraction is romantic/emptional means he was having inappropriate emotional relationships with his target group (8 to 13 year-old boys)  at the very least.  

I cannot imagine what was his father was thinking -- the guy has a doctorate in clinical psychology.  There is simply no excuse for what he did -- which is to encourage his pedophile son to continue having unsupervised contact with young boys. 

NachosFlandersStyle
On 6/28/2020 at 11:08 PM, NachosFlandersStyle said:

Phew. Daniel says his sister was part of the coverup-- that would be Laura Turner, herself a published writer who often pops up in progressive Christian convos on twitter but has been silent on this matter. 

Laura has deleted her twitter account after claiming that Danny's allegations are "exaggerated." I would love to know what more mild version of this situation would be acceptable. Johnny's only kind of attracted to kids? The family only encouraged him to spend a little bit of time with prepubescent boys?

Giraffe

I commend Daniel for putting other people's safety above his family. If more people would act how he has done a tremendous amount of pain could be avoided. John Ortberg (Sr) needs to step down as a pastor. He's a disgrace to pastors and psychologists! His behavior is unacceptable. His protection of John Jr is unconscionable. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

Howl

And what led John III to confess these attractions to Daniel recently?   John III is 30 years old. He's been in positions of trust with minor boys as an adult and had this obsession for most of his life. Why come out about it now -- was there a triggering event? 

The Wartburg Watch discussed at length pedophiles who are aware of their attractions but do not physically act on them:  NOMAP = Non Offending Minor Attracted Person

Is the Volunteer at John Ortberg’s Menlo Church a NOMAP (Non-Offending Minor Attracted Person) and What Does This Mean in the Long Run?

Yes, it's possible that John III is a NOMAP, but without doing due diligence, alerting the church body, and interviewing parents and children with whom John III had close contact (including overnight trips away), there's no way to know. 

Also, there was something in the tweet thread or elsewhere that the parents feared  John III might commit suicide if he were outed by Daniel, but the phrasing was ambiguous if the suicide might occur as a result of the humiliation of being outed or the prospect of the loss of companionship of minor boys. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

seraaa
3 hours ago, Howl said:

And what led John III to confess these attractions to Daniel recently?   John III is 30 years old. He's been in positions of trust with minor boys as an adult and had this obsession for most of his life. Why come out about it now -- was there a triggering event? 

His wife Grace answered how this came about on twitter. The whole situation is heart-breaking. 

Edited by seraaa

Howl

Thanks for that tweet, @seraaa.  I'm following Grace's twitter account now. From Grace Lavery's tweets:

And one of the things that makes me angriest, on a personal level, is that Johnny’s [John III] rampant transphobia was excused again and again, and John, Nancy, and Laura ALL took me aside at some point to explain that Johnny just needed time to understand the transition, that he loved D[aniel]...When all the time they all knew that Johnny was keeping a FAR more consequential secret, that was being applauded and sanctimoniously mourned by all of them, which evidently warranted none of the panicked “family meetings” occasioned by D’s queerness and transness over the years.

So Daniel was the black sheep, but John III was the fair-haired child because...why exactly? 

Edited by Howl
  • Sad 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 2

Howl
On 6/29/2020 at 3:19 PM, Howl said:

just re-read the twitter unroll and all of the text in the tweet that was posted by Daniel's wife; there is no reference to the Kentler Project. The link I posted above was on the internet;  came across it randomly.  If I can find another reference relative to the Ortbergs and Kentler Project, I'll post it. 

Here's the tweet:

Marmion
On 6/30/2020 at 7:52 AM, Howl said:

The Wartburg Watch discussed at length pedophiles who are aware of their attractions but do not physically act on them:  NOMAP = Non Offending Minor Attracted Person

Is the Volunteer at John Ortberg’s Menlo Church a NOMAP (Non-Offending Minor Attracted Person) and What Does This Mean in the Long Run?

Yes, it's possible that John III is a NOMAP, but without doing due diligence, alerting the church body, and interviewing parents and children with whom John III had close contact (including overnight trips away), there's no way to know. 

Also, there was something in the tweet thread or elsewhere that the parents feared  John III might commit suicide if he were outed by Daniel, but the phrasing was ambiguous if the suicide might occur as a result of the humiliation of being outed or the prospect of the loss of companionship of minor boys. 

I have heard of " MAPs " , and "NoMAPs"  , mentioned on a couple YouTube channels .  So if you want to go down that rabbit hole , here is a list of videos decrying this trend . 

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Howl

@Marmion, thanks for those links, but I've decided not to even peer over the edge into that rabbit hole; I'm going a little crazy thinking about this. 

There can be immense emotional damage to a child even if there is no physical abuse, because the MAP or NoMap is exploiting a child to satisfy an adult need/obsession; that's a form of abuse. 

As @NachosFlandersStyle pointed out upthread: 

On 6/30/2020 at 12:00 AM, NachosFlandersStyle said:

Laura has deleted her twitter account after claiming that Danny's allegations are "exaggerated." I would love to know what more mild version of this situation would be acceptable. Johnny's only kind of attracted to kids? The family only encouraged him to spend a little bit of time with prepubescent boys?