IGNORED

John Ortberg’s Estranged Son Accuses Him of Protecting Pedophile

closetcagebaby

On 7/6/2020 at 9:55 PM, CrazyCatLady said:

It appears this family would rather support a pedophile because he attends church than their upstanding son because he is trans.

Which is horrific but not surprising -- even in an allegedly "moderate" church. 

• Upvote 1
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, Walking Cat Bed said:

Which is horrific but not surprising -- even in an allegedly "moderate" church. 

I don't view Menlo as so moderate. Maybe it is compared to these fundies, but not compared to mainstream churches.

Menlo is a member of ECO (A covenant order of Evangelical Presbyterians), which broke away from the PCUSA (Presbyterian Church USA) around 2014. The issue behind the denominational split was PCUSA's decision to ordain gay clergy and increasing LGBTQ+ acceptance. ECO didn't say directly that they were leaving because of LGBTQ issues, but everyone in the PCUSA/ECO knows that's what was behind it. And by golly they made sure their statement of beliefs talks about marriage between one man and one woman.

Ortberg was a leading voice in establishing this new ECO denomination. So he has a lot invested in his homo/transphobia. Which saddens me for Daniel's sake.

Edited by livinginthelight
  • Upvote 3
  • Love 1

35 minutes ago, livinginthelight said:

I don't view Menlo as so moderate. Maybe it is compared to these fundies, but not compared to mainstream churches.

Thank you for the context -- I haven't followed this specific church as closely as I've followed others.

• Upvote 2

56 minutes ago, livinginthelight said:

I don't view Menlo as so moderate...Ortberg was a leading voice in establishing this new ECO denomination. So he has a lot invested in his homo/transphobia. Which saddens me for Daniel's sake.

This certainly helps to clarify the crazy dynamics in this family. 

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 5

On 7/6/2020 at 10:35 PM, Howl said:

And it's infuriating to know that while his parents approved of  J.O. III working with, coaching and traveling overnight unsupervised with young boys, including visits to Mexico, he was never allowed to be alone with his nephew. 

Typical pro-"life" behaviour though. You can't get an abortion, but I had an affair and got my mistress pregnant and so SHE can get an abortion!

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 2

On 7/7/2020 at 2:14 PM, ladyamylynn said:

What specifically are you confused about? 

Not at all familiar with these people. Couldn’t figure out the relationships. Didn’t know if the reporting was talking about gender-assigned-at-birth or reflecting the whistleblower’s true self. This stuff is still confusing to me after spending decades in a cult being washed in propaganda. I want to treat people with respect, and I know LGBTA (and maybe I missed some) is so very much varied and richly layered, and the learning curve is steep when you’re old and starting to be forgetful and have lived for decades in a society that only recognizes “binary”.

This is muddled, sorry, migraine hangover and my brain isn’t working as well as I’d like. I’m thinking the day I wrote that “confused” query was also a migraine day; I’ve had a few lately.

Usually my kidults explain social realities to me that I have missed for various reasons (they are patient and understanding), but they were all likely busy that day, because I’m so ashamed of my ignorance and poor judgment in choosing my past mentors, I usually don’t ask such questions in public where I’m afraid someone will jump on me for not automatically knowing. (Not saying you; it’s just, sometimes FJ doesn’t tolerate ignorance or people asking stupid questions who genuinely want to learn and honor others’ reality.)

• Upvote 3

@refugee, John Ortberg’s son Daniel and Daniel’s wife Grace have been calling out John for covering up John’s son Johnny’s admitted pedophilia. John has been protecting Johnny from facing reality. 

Daniel and his wife are both trans. John condemns them - two consenting adults - saying it’s sin, all the while protecting his son Johnny who’s admitted to being sexually attracted to children. 

Is that helpful?

Edited by Giraffe
Changing the sentence to make it clearer
  • Upvote 2
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 3

2 hours ago, Giraffe said:

@refugee, John Ortberg’s son Daniel and Daniel’s wife Grace have been calling out John for covering up John’s son Johnny’s admitted pedophilia. John has been protecting Johnny from facing reality. 

Daniel and his wife are both trans. John condemns them - two consenting adults - saying it’s sin, all the while protecting his son Johnny who’s admitted to being sexually attracted to children. 

Is that helpful?

Very much so, thanks. But heartbreaking. I simply cannot fathom parents who turn away from their kids or think it’s okay to dictate their offsprings’ choices and very thoughts, as if they’re not people in their own right but simply an extension of the parent.

And the whole shielding thing... I can’t begin to respond to that. Just no words. Horror.

Edited by refugee
  • Upvote 1
  • Love 4

@refugee, I was also confused about who was what until a helpful fj-er  explained that Daniel started life pre-transition as Mallory Ortberg and is now Daniel Lavery -- he took his wife Grace's last name, my impression because he wanted to distance himself from his family. 

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 6
  • Love 2

Daniel and Johnny also have a sister, Laura Turner, who is a progressive Christian writer. She sided with their parents and Johnny and smeared Daniel, then closed her Twitter account after being called out on it. Just in case you were confused about talk of a sister. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 4
  • Love 2

5 hours ago, EmiSue said:

Daniel and Johnny also have a sister, Laura Turner, who is a progressive Christian writer. She sided with their parents and Johnny and smeared Daniel, then closed her Twitter account after being called out on it. Just in case you were confused about talk of a sister. 

Laura has a young child. It's been reported that despite siding with her parents about her pedophile brother, Laura does not allow him to be around her child unsupervised. She clearly doesn't believe he's harmless.

• Upvote 2
  • WTF 1
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 3

Laura has a young child. It's been reported that despite siding with her parents about her pedophile brother, Laura does not allow him to be around her child unsupervised. She clearly doesn't believe he's harmless.
Exactly. You can't say he's harmless to children while keeping your own child from him. The fact that the church is supporting this is disgusting.
  • Upvote 1
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

16 minutes ago, Jigsaw3 said:

WHAT THE FUCK?!? But she supported John (formerly) allowing Johnny to go on UNCHAPERONED trips with children??!!

HOW DOES JOHN ORTBERG STILL HAVE A JOB?!?

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 4

1 hour ago, Jigsaw3 said:

I saw that. Blows my mind that she'd side with the brother she thinks could harm her child over the brother she trusts with her child. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 3

3 hours ago, Giraffe said:

HOW DOES JOHN ORTBERG STILL HAVE A JOB?!?

I was going back over the history.  John Ortberg was put on leave for a time sometime this past winter and then returned to the pulpit at Menlo in March after a brief "restoration."  As far as I can tell, he is still the lead pastor. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

17 minutes ago, Howl said:

I was going back over the history.  John Ortberg was put on leave for a time sometime this past winter and then returned to the pulpit at Menlo in March after a brief "restoration."  As far as I can tell, he is still the lead pastor. 

YES, he was! HOW?!  That points to way larger problems than the very severe problem of their senior pastor covering this up! Who else there are covering up things?  Why is the rest of the board (elders? accountability board?) staying silent on this and allowing him to continue?! What the fuck?! And he’s supposed to be an example of a “godly” man? BULLSHIT!

(not screaming at you)

• Upvote 1
  • Love 3

37 minutes ago, Howl said:

John Ortberg was put on leave for a time sometime this past winter and then returned to the pulpit at Menlo in March after a brief "restoration."

Gee, I wonder if he went to Dave Hyles' luxurious Fallen In Grace Red Barn B&B for this vacation - er, restoration.

https://fig.care/

https://brucegerencser.net/2018/06/disgraced-ifb-preacher-david-hyles-helping-fallen-pastors-get-back-on-their-horses/

Thanks for posting that link @thoughtful.  Bruce is a really interesting guy and I follow him and his sweet wife on facebook.  

Back to John Ortberg.  He's the very successful lead pastor of a mega church, so I doubt he's going anywhere.  If a new, real, thorough investigation is completed and finds that Johnny III was physically inappropriate/abusing boys, John II may be looking for a job.  

47 minutes ago, Howl said:

This story has gone national -- HuffPo is on it.  

FINALLY!!!!

• Upvote 1
  • Love 2