IGNORED

I'm Missing the Crazy Adoption Threads

katilac

On 9/23/2020 at 6:58 PM, Inthemadhouse said:

Is anyone else noticing what is going on with Susanna Musser (The Blessing of Verity) right now?  She has been making posts supporting BLM, talking about spiritual abuse and how to recognize it, and speaking out against Trump.  She has made references to leaving her fundie days behind.

No doubt, she is still a very conservative woman, and holds many abhorrent views.  But I am wondering what the impetus for this change might be.  Hopefully nothing tragic has happened to her or the kids

She says she has left her Christian beliefs behind.  

On 3/16/2021 at 6:19 PM, LilMissMetaphor said:

She says she has left her Christian beliefs behind.  

I saw that.  I hope that she is finding peace with her decisions, and that she has all the support she needs while making such a radical change.   

• Upvote 3

• 1 month later...

Sarah Mulvahill was not at the recent wedding of Mark and Kari.

Their bio son Matt wasn’t either but he (and his family) were mentioned several times. 

I wish Sarah the best ... I’m absolutely convinced something traumatic went down there. 

• I Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...

In case anyone still reads “there’s no place like home” Jean just wrote a whole post about why they had to distance themselves from Sarah ... gasp. I guess there’s that!

Dying to hear Sarah's side of the story. I imagine their house is kind of like an orphanage but with better food and more trips out. No parent could possibly pay attention to all those kids, especially when they adopted them all so fast that they probably had no time to bond with them before getting the next one.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 3

19 hours ago, SummerRocks said:

In case anyone still reads “there’s no place like home” Jean just wrote a whole post about why they had to distance themselves from Sarah ... gasp. I guess there’s that!

I missed that. What was her reasoning?

Nevermind - I see it is a brand new post! Thanks for the heads up.

Edited by Queen Of Hearts

Jean's post is really sad. I don't know a lot about RAD but I think it can strike in smaller families too, no?

It made me think about 5Kids 6 Months. They don't seem to update their blog or Facebook anymore. I really wonder how they're doing as they started adopting kids with larger physical challenges...

• Love 1

I feel super sad for Sarah, I have seen Sarah’s Facebook page (which seems to come and disappear again) She seems to have a boyfriend, and this boyfriends  family seemed really loving towards her. A bunch of the bio kids were Facebook friends with Sarah for a while as was the aunt that’s “often” mentioned, but last I checked all those people were no longer friends with exception of one of the bio boys. 

I hope Sarah agreed on having this post on Jeans public blog. That’s quite the invasion of privacy if Sarah did not agree with this. 

My - sad - prediction is that more of the adopted children will chose the path Sarah is on, RAD related or not. 

9 hours ago, ILoveJellybeans said:

Dying to hear Sarah's side of the story. I imagine their house is kind of like an orphanage but with better food and more trips out. No parent could possibly pay attention to all those kids, especially when they adopted them all so fast that they probably had no time to bond with them before getting the next one.

Yes yes so much this! Especially since the last few years Jean says how “poor” they are now and have to take advantage of charity (for food and trips) The kids that have been adopted the longest sure knew another life in their first years with the Mulvahill.

I also wonder what Sarah was lying about according to Jean ... also wonder why Jim had to be convinced of Jeans thought process ... as per post.

So many thoughts 

22 hours ago, ILoveJellybeans said:

But according to Jean her adult child "does not  perceive things accurately". I have no idea if Sarah has ongoing issues from her adoption but I have to say that sentence struck me as quite gaslighting.

• Upvote 3

I am extremely skeptical about everything in Jean's recent post - which is obviously about Sarah, although she doesn't name her. (I also seriously doubt she asked for Sarah's permission to post, particularly since they apparently don't have much/any contact these days). How interesting that RAD is not an issue or noticed at all until the child is an adult and pulls away from the parents in what certainly appears to be a developmentally appropriate way. How interesting that Jean appears to have diagnosed her adult child with a mental health disorder - not, you know, a professional who has met and evaluated said adult child.

I was reminded of times when Jean has referenced how they wanted to "do things differently" when they adopted, for example, they weren't going to let any of the adopted kids participate in really time intensive activities like travel sports because they'd "already done that" with the bio kids and it was too time consuming and tiring.

I also remember a post that was a typical recount of their recent activities, including gymnastics classes. Jean mentioned that Sarah really wanted to join a competitive gym team, but she and Jim didn't want her to. I don't remember if they ultimately let her or not. But if they maintained that restrictive approach as Sarah reached 18 & beyond, I can only imagine that she chafed at it.

Anyway, dear Sarah Mulvahill, if you read this, I hope you are happy and have the love and support you need.

Finally, I didn't peruse closely, but the sources/references Jean linked to in the post seemed to be of the questionable sort. I saw Forrest Lien's name at one site. Read up on him here.

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 1

Jean’s post is so suspect. Diagnosing a 20-something without any kind of actual medical treatment. Having to convince her husband that Sarah is a liar. 

Imagine being Sarah. You’re one of the first adoptees and closest in age to the bio kids. As far as evidenced on the blog and social, Sarah does not have any mental or physical health challenges that would inhibit independence or further education. You see your older siblings play travel sports, go to college, pursue advanced degrees, etc. You’re told you’re a daughter too, but there’s no room in the budget for you to do those things AND you’re meant to be second mom to like 15 other kids and your mom keeps bringing home more kids with more special needs to the point that you’re basically in a dorm not a family. She even went to China a few times  to interpret for Jean. Pretty clear she was sister morning a lot of these kids. So, you finally grow up and it’s crystal clear that you’re not going to be afforded any of the autonomy or educational opportunities of the bio kids. You’re sleeping in bunk beds and shared rooms even though you’re an adult and high school graduate. Wouldn’t you have some resentment? Maybe act out?

Jean treated Sarah and the other kids as second class citizens compared to the bio kids and now, when maybe Sarah has different thoughts on her future than Jean did or maybe she even engaged in some rebellious behavior, Jean has written her off and retro fit some psychological diagnosis to explain why Sarah is bad and Jean is good, entirely ignoring that Sarah is supposed to be her daughter too. Is this how she’d treat a bio kid in the same circumstances? Hard to imagine. 

I find it extremely difficult to give any credence to Jean’s account here. I have a lot of sympathy for Sarah. It looks like she’s trying to make friends outside the family and work as a nanny. I hope she is able to find opportunities and live a happy, adult life. Jean seems awfully quick to wash her hands of a child that she allegedly raised. 

The whole thing is sickening and I hope that Sarah is able to lead a happy, healthy life. 

• Upvote 8

• 2 months later...
On 3/18/2021 at 9:45 PM, Inthemadhouse said:

I saw that.  I hope that she is finding peace with her decisions, and that she has all the support she needs while making such a radical change.   

It is for sure a radical change.

I do wish her the best, but feel for the older kids who grew up in the mess.

https://runtrimag.com/running-taught-me-to-love-life-run-tri-bike-magazine/

On 8/7/2021 at 3:53 PM, grantedgrant said:

It is for sure a radical change.

I do wish her the best, but feel for the older kids who grew up in the mess.

https://runtrimag.com/running-taught-me-to-love-life-run-tri-bike-magazine/

I always wonder what happens in cases like this, where one parent completely upends the families way of life.  The older kids and the youner ones might as well be growing up in different families.     I also wonder what the husband thinks.   But good for her, recognizing that she needs to care for herself, and that she was embroiled in toxcicity and abuse.

• Upvote 1

• 2 years later...

I have Dm’ed a few of you, but I’m also going to post about it. I am Sarah’s Ex Boyfriend, we dated from 2019-2022. I was there for her through all of what happened between her and her parents. The Mulvahills are the most corrupt people I have ever met. They are filled with so much lies and hatred, it’s disgusting how they call themselves Christians. If you want the truth, I’m willing to share the whole story, everyone deserves to know the truth. My Email is Benjaminallen2203@gmail.com and my phone number is (redacted by destiny).

Here is a Photo for proof if you guys don’t believe me.IMG_3955.thumb.jpeg.c3ec57002085330b24469a9814d0ae67.jpegIMG_3956.thumb.jpeg.4997e4c26c6debc5f2ab10dfd9912c4c.jpeg

Edited by Destiny
removed info that shouldn't be publicly shared
  • Thank You 8
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Benjaminallen2203 said:

They are filled with so much lies and hatred

I'm really curious - is this just toward Sarah, or in general? 

• Thank You 1

3 minutes ago, Ozlsn said:

I'm really curious - is this just toward Sarah, or in general? 

Jim and Jean Mulvahill, Her adoptive Parents.

16 minutes ago, Benjaminallen2203 said:

Jim and Jean Mulvahill, Her adoptive Parents.

Yeah I got that. I was asking if what you saw was predominantly directed at Sarah, or was a more general thing.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Ozlsn said:

Yeah I got that. I was asking if what you saw was predominantly directed at Sarah, or was a more general thing.

In General. I want to get the truth out about Jim and Hean Mulvahill and try to get those kids taking away and put in a safer environment. Sarah Suffers from so much PTSD and Mental Health Issues because of the Trauma they gave her. 

• Sad 5
  • Thank You 1

This may have been discussed, but I noticed this gem of a poem:

Some would gather money

Along the path of life

Some would gather roses,

And rest from strife.

But I would gather children

From among the thorns of sin, (yada yada yada)

And that seems like quite the way to view your adopted children. 

Also, choosing that font for a wordy blog is an act of violence. 

• WTF 2
  • I Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Howl said:

I'm curious now.  How many bio kids were there in this family and how many adoptees? 

5 Bio, 11 Adoptees

9 hours ago, katilac said:

Also, choosing that font for a wordy blog is an act of violence. 

Agreed, totally.

10 minutes ago, Howl said:

I'm curious now.  How many bio kids were there in this family and how many adoptees? 

Per Jean's blog: "Our journey began with 5 birth children and then we added to our family, 17 more blessings through adoption!"

I'm not sure how they managed or afforded it, but they were bringing home special needs kids from China in 2s and 3s over and over rapid fire.

Even as their grown bio kids were like - "um, are you going to be able to afford all these kids? And will you have any energy left to be grandparents to OUR kids?" So they quit telling the bio kids about the adoptions until they were basically done.

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 2
  • I Agree 2

16 minutes ago, Alisamer said:

Agreed, totally.

Per Jean's blog: "Our journey began with 5 birth children and then we added to our family, 17 more blessings through adoption!"

I'm not sure how they managed or afforded it, but they were bringing home special needs kids from China in 2s and 3s over and over rapid fire.

Even as their grown bio kids were like - "um, are you going to be able to afford all these kids? And will you have any energy left to be grandparents to OUR kids?" So they quit telling the bio kids about the adoptions until they were basically done.

Oh my gosh, you are right! I totally forgot they adopted 17 kids in total.