IGNORED

Santa Cruz Cult?

bionicmlle

I suppose this might be a bit off topic but I think the link at the bottom would be interesting for some of our fundies.

First -- anyone know of a cult in the Santa Cruz are run by a psychic (female)? I have tried to do some searches but can't find anything.

Acquantance of mine going here: http://www.wellspringretreat.org/index.php for "reprogramming." Link not broken because I doubt this place cares where their traffic comes from but if someone wants me to, just let me know.

Guest Anonymous

Nope but I remember a Hippy Cult up there. Dios De Amor. Very interesting gang wore and made some pretty psychedelic frumpers. Still have two they made for my DD. Christian, Jesus followers, with lots of weed and LSD.

My mother became minimally involved with a hippie group there and it ended up they were smuggling weapons! Like, big weapons for bad people. She cut it off that second. There is a lot of crazy there, although I love the place.

Guest Anonymous
The only cult I know of is the cult following of the "pink umbrella guy". Damn do I miss California! ;)

Ya gotta miss Cali, I lived in Laguna Beach when the Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh came to town, long before they took over Antelope. And when we didn't have Cults in Lag. Bch. we had Augustus Owsley Stanley III eating raw meat and feeding LSD to Dr. Leary at the old Honk house. Memories....

This is where I live, and yes there is a fair amount of crazy here. I don't know of any cultish group run by a female psychic but it is quite possible. Do you know more about it? There is something called the Esoteric Studies Institute or something that is around the corner from my office.

I had a relative who got involved with the Berekely Psychic Institute. Long story, but to summarize, the voices in her head were actually mental illness. The BPI told her to soak her feet in some magically activated water and charged her beaucoup d'argent for that and for classes in how to read auras.

The only cult I know of is the cult following of the "pink umbrella guy". Damn do I miss California! ;)

I miss "pinkie slo-mo" too! He got thrown out of his subsidized housing for being a hoarder. I saw him a few times after that in normal clothes but I think he left town. I remember when he started walking, he wore a hawaiian shirt and carried an umbrella. The pink theme developed later.

Guest Anonymous
This is where I live, and yes there is a fair amount of crazy here. I don't know of any cultish group run by a female psychic but it is quite possible. Do you know more about it? There is something called the Esoteric Studies Institute or something that is around the corner from my office.

I had a relative who got involved with the Berekely Psychic Institute. Long story, but to summarize, the voices in her head were actually mental illness. The BPI told her to soak her feet in some magically activated water and charged her beaucoup d'argent for that and for classes in how to read auras.

The Esoteric people were headed by a woman named Bower or Bowerman years ago, I think she's not at the top of the heap right now. La Di Dah hippy dippy shit. I thought they shut their doors after the earth quake years ago.

Experienced - I dunno, the name is on a door that I pass on my way to work. That's all I know about it! I've wondered though exactly what they are studying.

A couple of years ago, there were some "Essenes" that were hanging around downtown and the Farmers Market. They looked like extras from a Bible movie, in long white linen robes, full beards, sandals, and head cloths. They were handing out flyers that made about as much sense as the verbiage on Dr. Bronner's label. I figured they got the Essene idea from Dr. Bronner.

A couple of years ago, there were some "Essenes" that were hanging around downtown and the Farmers Market. They looked like extras from a Bible movie, in long white linen robes, full beards, sandals, and head cloths. They were handing out flyers that made about as much sense as the verbiage on Dr. Bronner's label. I figured they got the Essene idea from Dr. Bronner.

I kind of excuse the dr bronner's bottles. He had to be somewhat messed up to have the last letter from his parents saying "you were right."

There are a couple of cults I know about in my area. Both are more of "new age" types- one is sort of Hindu inspired, the other more "Christian" inspired. But I'm in the other mountain range in CA, no longer near Santa Cruz. I am sure there are plenty in the Santa Cruz area, as well as more in the area where I live.

Guest Anonymous
Experienced - I dunno, the name is on a door that I pass on my way to work. That's all I know about it! I've wondered though exactly what they are studying.

LoL Dr. Bronner taught me how to make a peyote enema so ya wouldn't heave after eating eating the cactus...I'm an OLD hippy. :lol:

I spent a lot of time up in Santa Cruz area in the 70's and 80's before I moved north. Lots of hippys with guns up there.

We get a couple of Essenes rolling through the PNW in the summer time when weather permits long robes and sandals. And far more than our fair share of guys with 12 ft crosses on roller skate wheels.

(edited for bad grammar)

Well I do know that it is currently being investigated (per acquaintance) and there will likely be some legal repurcussions. I have heard of some people becoming quite psychiatrically ill during their time with the "cult" but it's unclear if they were paranoid or otherwise psychotic prior. Most of the info I have is heresay so that's why I thought I'd put out some feelers here. :)

I was in Portland, Oregon on Hawthorne Street and I saw a cute little house with what looked like an apothecary in it. Since I'm a sucker for loose tea and shiny things, I wandered in and I think it was actually a really fringy religious group. They were very against medical treatment and VERY into talking to me. They asked how I found the place and I said I'd been walking past and just wandered in. They were surprised and said most people don't come in. It was very odd.

I've never been to Santa Cruz but if it has the same sort of hippy vibe as Portland, I'm sure there's at least a handful of cults!

Guest Anonymous
I was in Portland, Oregon on Hawthorne Street and I saw a cute little house with what looked like an apothecary in it. Since I'm a sucker for loose tea and shiny things, I wandered in and I think it was actually a really fringy religious group. They were very against medical treatment and VERY into talking to me. They asked how I found the place and I said I'd been walking past and just wandered in. They were surprised and said most people don't come in. It was very odd.

I've never been to Santa Cruz but if it has the same sort of hippy vibe as Portland, I'm sure there's at least a handful of cults!

If you're from Portlandia you'd really enjoy SC. A bit like Corvallis, but larger with more of a Eugene vibe.

Now I'm gonna look for that house the next time I'm in the Hawthorne. Did this happen recently?

If you're from Portlandia you'd really enjoy SC. A bit like Corvallis, but larger with more of a Eugene vibe.

Now I'm gonna look for that house the next time I'm in the Hawthorne. Did this happen recently?

Oh yeah, like two weeks ago! I just googled and it was the Essential Elements Healing Center, it was maybe two blocks after the Hawthorne Hostel and four/five blocks before the street the branch library is on. From Yelp reviews apparently its good for salvia and bulk herbs (which it was, the prices were great!) but one review mentioned herbalists and diviners and stuff live there and the woman who talked to me said she was an intern and was learning a spiritual trade there. It definitely gave me a vibe.

I lived on the Oregon coast for a few months and really loved Portland. I'll be living in Corvallis in the next year (graduate school)!

I miss "pinkie slo-mo" too! He got thrown out of his subsidized housing for being a hoarder. I saw him a few times after that in normal clothes but I think he left town. I remember when he started walking, he wore a hawaiian shirt and carried an umbrella. The pink theme developed later.

Aw, I'm sad to hear of his fate. I went to undergrad in Santa Cruz and have fond memories of the pink umbrella guy.

Guest Anonymous

Oh yeah, like two weeks ago! I just googled and it was the Essential Elements Healing Center, it was maybe two blocks after the Hawthorne Hostel and four/five blocks before the street the branch library is on. From Yelp reviews apparently its good for salvia and bulk herbs (which it was, the prices were great!) but one review mentioned herbalists and diviners and stuff live there and the woman who talked to me said she was an intern and was learning a spiritual trade there. It definitely gave me a vibe.

I lived on the Oregon coast for a few months and really loved Portland. I'll be living in Corvallis in the next year (graduate school)!

Cool pm me when you get to town and I'll take you out fundy spotting :D

I still feel like a Rajneeshee when I wear the color red... Where is Ma Anand Sheela these days?

Wasn't there some group in California who did a mass suicide some years back because the mother ship was supposed to come get them or didn't come? I kind of recall that they wore white. Anyone know what I am talking about?

I still feel like a Rajneeshee when I wear the color red... Where is Ma Anand Sheela these days?

Wasn't there some group in California who did a mass suicide some years back because the mother ship was supposed to come get them or didn't come? I kind of recall that they wore white. Anyone know what I am talking about?

Heaven's Gate!

They were down south though. San Diego area.

I'm from San Diego. Funny, they all wore the same tennis shoes, I think they were Nikes!

Hey, I'm from SD too! :greetings-wavegreen:

Heaven's Gate was in Rancho Santa Fe, an uber-wealthy suburb of San Diego. Yup, they all wore Nikes and black shirts, and were found on their bunks with purple cloths over their faces, having willingly eaten some tainted pudding. I remember the neighborhood was shocked that these people had been renting a mansion!

Archived