IGNORED

Mills Family 5: YouTube Really Is Optional

nelliebelle1197

I am one of those that miss the way Andrea made videos of her family.  So I really agreed with this comment under Tom's latest live disaster of a blog:

"Is this channel for the Mill's family like Andrea had it, or is it mainly Tom Mills'.  I thought you had your own channel. Please do not take it the wrong way. Even though Andrea was Andrea Mills, she focused on your sweet children;  just miss watching them grow. Maybe the new people do not know you have a channel of your own."

Tom responded that he is too busy to make proper vlogs, but he pumps out these (Tom centric) live vlogs because he doesn't need to edit them (and he likes the money).

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 2

5 hours ago, louannems said:

I am one of those that miss the way Andrea made videos of her family.  So I really agreed with this comment under Tom's latest live disaster of a blog:

"Is this channel for the Mill's family like Andrea had it, or is it mainly Tom Mills'.  I thought you had your own channel. Please do not take it the wrong way. Even though Andrea was Andrea Mills, she focused on your sweet children;  just miss watching them grow. Maybe the new people do not know you have a channel of your own."

Tom responded that he is too busy to make proper vlogs, but he pumps out these (Tom centric) live vlogs because he doesn't need to edit them (and he likes the money).

He could use his own channel but he’d rather mooch off of the viewers that Andrea collected on hers but make it all about himself

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 4

He went live for Magic Monday but as of right now the video is set to private. Same thing happened with Bible Study last week but he said it was a glitch and changed it to public. Don’t know if he will change this one to public or not. 
I still can’t get over the comments praising him for his actions yesterday. As someone who was hit head on by an inattentive driver many years ago, (and have suffered with physical pain from that for many years), his inability to give two shits about anyone but himself really gets to me.
It’s a shame those kids have been brought up the way they have. Maybe things will change for the better for the littles at least. And hopefully they all come out as decent adults-they really are good kids. I just wish they had more of a chance at a decent life. 

Edited by Mom2Bubby
Spelling
  • Upvote 10

8 hours ago, louannems said:

I am one of those that miss the way Andrea made videos of her family. 

Why? Her videos bragged about child neglect and the shitty education she gave her kids! They were about how she controlled her children to the point she assigned them a color for them to like and their gifts were things she decided they wanted, not what they actually wanted. 

I have never understood why Tom gets so much hate when Andrea was so unbelievable vile and open about how she neglected her children. Tom is those things too, but at least he is open to not letting them suffer mouth pain like they had to have been suffering under Andrea's care. And he realized the learning environment was too loud and he is taking steps to make it quieter. 

ETA: It is actually really good he doesn't feel like he has time to make videos with the children. These kids have spent way too many years with Andrea exploiting them on her channel. Tom continued that with filming them when they didn't want to be filmed. These kids do not need to have their lives put up as entertainment for strangers. Tom moving away from filming the children should be applauded. 

Edited by formergothardite
  • Upvote 14
  • I Agree 6
  • Love 1

@formergothardite I can understand innocents getting lulled by Andrea's calm demeanor, organisational tips, and watching the children, and not seeing the poisonous beliefs lurking underneath.  Perhaps that was what @louannems meant.  Many people apparently only saw quirky crunchy granola, not the sick beliefs, Andrea's controlling nature, nor the, frankly, dysfunctional, overcrowded, and neglectful setup.

What I don't understand is how over-involved some of these fans get on youtube.  Nor do I understand why anyone thinks it is a good idea to film their children for public consumption.  It strikes me as both irresponsible and exploitative, even when they aren't religious oddities with strange beliefs who see it as a "ministry."  And grifting their socks off like Tom.

I was rather shocked last year when I got sucked into the Potter's House series by Curiosity Inc.  It's an interesting comparison to the Millses because it does show how things go out of control, and how some people are fine with letting their lives hang out all over.  In a way that truly squicks me out.

For people who haven't heard about it. The Curiosity Inc channel was originally about Alex Archbold's antiques business and was already monetized.  But then the Archbolds hit the big time with the Potter's House.  Good summary of the Potter's House here: https://steemit.com/story/@rebeccaryan/saving-mary-borgstrom-s-legacy-a-great-potter

The next thing you knew, the original channel had thousands of subscribers, many of them in love with the family and showing no more boundaries than Mills-humpers.  Gifts of candy and other stuff for the kids, the wife was setting up her own little monetized channel to feature more of the kids, and they were accepting cash donations all over the place.  Yuck.

Please note, they are much nicer people than Tom and Andrea Mills.  They don't talk about their faith, they don't show very private stuff about the kids, and they have been known to do good deeds.  They have set up Go Fund Mes for others.  But I hope they don't regret their choice to live their lives in public as they do.

Back to topic, Tom's Monday live video was like watching paint dry.  He got rudely defensive about people telling him to focus on the road and not read comments while driving.  And the stupid ass still refuses to learn how to throw a roast in the crockpot.  I'm sure he's losing viewers every day.

Edited by Palimpsest
too many typos
  • Upvote 9
  • Love 1

8 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

I can understand innocents getting lulled by Andrea's calm demeanor, organisational tips, and watching the children, and not seeing the poisonous beliefs lurking underneath.  Perhaps that was what @louannems meant.  Many people apparently only saw quirky crunchy granola, not the sick beliefs, Andrea's controlling nature, nor the, frankly, dysfunctional, overcrowded, and neglectful setup.

I get that she could say some nice things in all the hate, but I'm just amazed that why can read here about what sort of person Andrea was and still want the videos to go back to how they were. Andrea's videos about the children were usually bragging about how poorly she treated them. It was all in a sweet, calm voice, but the actual content of her videos was pretty awful. 

These children don't need to be put on the internet so people can't watch them. It is frankly rather creepy that people are whining that they "miss" these children being put on the internet so strangers can watch them grow up.  Tom is dull as a box of rocks, but better him be on the YouTube channel than those poor kids. Please no one beg him to make more videos with the children. People should beg him to keep him droning on about his nonsensical beliefs because at least then the children are spared from being trotted out to be props on a channel like they have for so many years. 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 4

@formergothardite, I agree.  Completely.  I've been anti-children on UnReality TV for years.  I've been a vocal proponent for child privacy for years.  And the Millses seriously creeped me out from the beginning.  But not everyone understood what was so creepy about her.  IMO.

I have never really understood Andrea's appeal.  Nor will I ever understand why people become obsessed by other people's families.  Let want them (or demand them) to continue filming the children at any time, let alone in the face of such a tragedy.

I'm just trying to understand the phenomenon.  

Not sure anyone here can explain it to me, but if you do still want Tom to keep filming the kids - please give it a try.  TIA.

• Upvote 4
  • Love 3

Tom had his weekly bible Study on Wednesday but I haven’t watched it. 
on Thursday night Tom went live for the weekly shopping trip to Diehls( the store where Thomas works). Once again driving while Reading comments- this time With all the kids in the van. Snowing like crazy and cold and Eden was in shorts and only had a denim jacket on and Justus had no coat on and a short sleeved shirt. 

One of the little girls had a dress on and fell in the snow on the way in the store. Someone asked who sophias buddy was as she was always getting left behind and Tom said no, she wasn’t. 

Solomon wanted something and it was 9 cents more than he had. Tom Said before anyone called him Heartless, by not giving him the 9 cents he was teaching him a lesson in how To budget. Someone else commented that Solomon should Go hit up one of his siblings for it. Tom Said he would probably go ask Justus and Justus would Probably Give it to him. Tom Said that would be a lesson in how to prey upon the weak. And then just laughed and said he was kidding. (Guess he should know how To do that. He does it all the time). Then he said Justus gets a lesson in how To be generous to somebody and Solomon gets a lesson in what it’s like to be in debt to someone. 

Tom said they still had a $1600 credit at the store. 

Someone commented how they love bible Study and how Tom Continues to amaze them with his knowledge. (Puke)

Someone must have commented something about Rachel but I couldn’t see what was said. Someone responded and said she was a long time watcher and nothing weird. (Wish I had been able To see what was asked) Others jumped on the person who asked the question and another said Rachel wasn’t weird she was a loyal subscriber. 

Someone asked something about the shed not having doors and just a curtain across It. Rachel commented they didn’t lock their doors. Person commented back to Rachel that burglars would love the easy access. Tom spoke up and said there hadn’t been a burglary in Moorcroft in many years  and people just worried too much and to lighten up. He said people thought they were bad parents or something. Like usual. Tom said rachel day was just a youtube fan and said she knows everything. She watches and memorized stuff. Said she’s not related. 

Judah said something I couldn’t see and Tom said Judah was a worrier but they raised him to know what his faults are and that he can overcome them. He said the only People who can’t overcome them are the ones who don’t know what they are. Someone asked Tom what his faults are and was he working on them? Same person then commented that he has benefited greatly from these “worrying” women and he was lucky To have heir support and they hope he appreciated how unique it is. He didn’t respond to this. Someone must have commented something I couldn’t see and He said some people Complained about everything. The cupboards were scratched up because andrea  painted them and the paint wears off and he hasn’t had time to fix them. He said he’s sorry and he will work on that. ( and his minions went off on that person because they spoke up).

He turned the camera around so people could see him and Hannah (who was sitting at the table with the other littles eating cheese). Poor baby looked dirty and unkempt and kept wiping her hair from her face. He told All the kids to say good bye and cut off the live. Sounds to me like the complaining got to him. I hope it did. He needs to wake up and grow up and be a parent to those kids. And I can’t believe there are so many people with blinders on when it comes to creepy Rachel Day. 
It seemed to me like Asher was purposefully trying to stay out of camera range. If so, good for him. I know it makes him uncomfortable being videoed. 

Edited by Mom2Bubby
Spelling and added a thought
  • Upvote 1
  • Disgust 3
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 16

1 hour ago, Mom2Bubby said:

Once again driving while Reading comments- this time With all the kids in the van. Snowing like crazy

This makes me very angry.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 10
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Mom2Bubby said:

He said some people Complained about everything. The cupboards were scratched up because andrea  painted them and the paint wears off and he hasn’t had time to fix them

But really, that is kind of a BEC complaint.  Especially compared to how he fucking drives while reading comments on his phone! It is kind of ridiculous to complain about superficial things like cabinets that won't really have a negative impact on the children's lives when they are still being fed a steady diet of racism, sexism and hate through the curriculum they use for school. Complaining about stuff like that just plays into Tom believing people will complain about everything because they actually ARE complaining about everything. 

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 1

I will give Tom one bit of kudos in teaching about money. I know 9 cents is small but I actually agree with him that it is good to teach kids to live within their means. Too many adults grow up not knowing that.  

Now, all my good will towards him for the above was wiped out by him announcing to the world that they don't lock their doors. What a stupid, idiotic, assinine thing to do. He put his family and all his neighbors at risk. Dumb ass.  

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 3

1 hour ago, Queen Of Hearts said:

I will give Tom one bit of kudos in teaching about money. I know 9 cents is small but I actually agree with him that it is good to teach kids to live within their means. Too many adults grow up not knowing that.  

Now, all my good will towards him for the above was wiped out by him announcing to the world that they don't lock their doors. What a stupid, idiotic, assinine thing to do. He put his family and all his neighbors at risk. Dumb ass.  

In one way I agree about the money but in this case, when another kid will give Solomon the difference anyway while daddy has $1600 free that he didn't earn sitting on their tab, it irks me. I'm sure Tom is spending that money on his own treats instead of his own.

Not locking doors is really stupid, sure you live in a small and trustworthy community but YOU FREELY SHARE YOUR ADDRESS (and detailed house plan) TO THE ENTIRE INTERNET!!!!

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 12

Zero props from me about money because he lets the kids spend it all on junk. No mention they have to save any. And no teaching about good nutrition. He could let them spend part of their money, save some and buy just one or two junk items and then spend the rest on something healthy that will be good for their health. So many great teaching moments lost. And the lack of proper clothing for the weather is terrible. What if the car breaks down. What if they were in an accident because he so unsafely reads his phone while driving because he has to entertain his fans and bring in the donations. It's all so bizarre to me. 

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 3

I think this was one of his worst videos. He had such a chip on his shoulder the whole time. The shopping trip was for 16.94 worth of stuff? It was like he purposely made a token trip to the store so he would have content to show.  

I find it quite funny he's teaching his children how to be responsible with money when he isn't self sufficient himself . What does he think he is teaching them while they are watching him mooch off of strangers? 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 5

I would give him money props if he were a good example for them. He’s not. He’s a grifter extraordinaire who shamed his son on a live-stream about money. No, Tom gets no props from me. Hopefully the kid didn’t feel shamed, but I expect he would feel offended that the man who grifts constantly made a BFD about 9 cents. 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 3

45 minutes ago, Grandma D said:

Zero props from me about money because he lets the kids spend it all on junk. No mention they have to save any. 

He did mention in a different video that one of the boys didn't go to the store on that trip because they were saving up for something special. So the kids do apparently get taught to save.  

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Grandma D said:

He could let them spend part of their money, save some and buy just one or two junk items and then spend the rest on something healthy that will be good for their health.

While I'm not sure Tom models good financial decisions, I really don't have an issue with him letting the children spend their money as they like. I do that with my oldest daughter. It is her money and yeah, I let her go spend it on junk food when she was younger because to me it is important for them to learn how to save without being forced to do it. If she spent all her money on candy from the Dollar Tree that was gone in a month, then she didn't have money later when she wanted something. Kids can  learn to save and the consequences of bad spending choices a natural way without their parents forcing them to save. 

And like @Queen Of Hearts said, they have shown signs that at least some of them know about saving money.  

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2

Did anyone else noticed that Tom focused the camera on the receipt that he had to sign, which had is account number and name (as in Mills Family) from the supermarked he went to? Can it be him grifting for more cash, by showing to people that the credit is getting lower and that they need to go and give more credit for him to buy candy for himself... Maybe its just an impression of mine. He also said that lately he was craving for a certain kind of candy, so he bought a package. I bet that soon full boxes will arrive by mail...

One more thing… He said that they were doing the travel so that the kids could spend their "allowance", to which Judah (I think that it was him, by the voice) said: "It is not allowance, it's pay!". Tom answer: "its allowance anyway!". Does Tom even knows what an allowance is? When you get an allowance you don't get obligated to perform tasks and take care of the house and to do everything instead of the parents. After a certain age I had a very small allowance, that was enough for me to buy a big book of Disney cartoons (300 escudos - in the old coin, I believe it's 1,5 euros now, as far as I can remember), with Donald Duck and Mickey stories, I wouldn't spend it on candy. And that was enough to make me happy and keep myself busy for some hours with the reading. I would help my mom a little but I wasn't forced to do it, because I was a child and I was enjoying a life as a child… But Tom... saying allowance, wtf, I got chocked!!!

• Upvote 1

Re: allowance... I think different people call it different things.  In my community most of the kids get an allowance in return for doing their chores. It isn't just free money.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 3

6 hours ago, Mom2Bubby said:

Judah said something I couldn’t see and Tom said Judah was a worrier but they raised him to know what his faults are

Wtaf. Let’s tell YouTube world your teenage son’s faults, but let’s not expose your own. I’ll list one of Tom’s faults-hubris. 100% hubris. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Sloth said:

I can imagine creepy Rachel Day turning up and just walking into his house one day now she knows it's kept unlocked!

They'd come home and it would be like Goldilocks. 'Someone's been sitting in my chair... Someone's been sleeping in my bed....'

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 12

1 hour ago, Pleiades_06 said:

Wtaf. Let’s tell YouTube world your teenage son’s faults, but let’s not expose your own. I’ll list one of Tom’s faults-hubris. 100% hubris. 

I wouldn't put my children on Youtube and say stuff like this, but the exchange didn't come off as awful to me. Judah said something and Tom said Judah tended to worry a lot but they always taught him that if you know your faults you can overcome them.  That people who aren't aware of their faults can't overcome them. This is true and not terrible advice. Is it hypocritical that Andrea and Tom taught their kids this while being oblivious that their entire Youtube life was a huge fault? Yes. But this wasn't some sort of an exchange where he was humiliating him. Tom even talks about how proud he is of Judah. 

I had no idea you could buy huge boxes of shredded cheese. I'm not sure why he didn't let the children make the pizza, especially since he was attempting to make a pizza while holding a phone. 

ETA: Does anyone know how to report COPPA violations? Because he for sure if violating COPPA. 

Edited by formergothardite
  • Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1

That whole video was so scripted and forced. And someone on here was so right when they said he couldn't let 9 cents slide for his kid but he goes and buys himself a blue drink (sorry I didn't see what it was) and some Twizzlers that is bought on money from donations!!!!! No wonder the kids eat so much junk and sadly have come to think of it as a reward or a treasure they save up for. He has made it that way! Then they all buzz around at night on a sugar high. He's going to set them up for diabetes. .

The only meals they seem to get is Chicken Alfredo (very fattening), Pepperoni Pizza, Ramen Noodles (tons of sodium) , Bologna sandwiches (Nitrates and more sodium),  etc. These things are all fine but in moderation, not every week! It's not hard to bake Chicken Legs, Thighs, or Breasts. Side of broccoli, peas, or carrots, etc  And buy plain yogurt, add granola or fruit, not those flavored full of sugar yogurts. Just becasue it's yogurt doesn't mean it's good for you unless you buy the right kind.

Would be nice to see them do some physical activity too. They need something to blow off some of that energy and so they can sleep well at night. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic