• Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
HerNameIsBuffy

John Shrader 19: FLYING VERMIN SCUM!

apandaaries
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Xan said:

Unless he diverted money from some real expense and sent it to John instead...  But, I think you're right.  If Rick is apologizing to people, he's got to be saying someone took something the wrong way or maybe that someone misunderstood his intentions.  John and Rick keep lumping Jodi in with it though.  That makes it seem less likely to be a sex scandal -- unless Jodi stood by John and slandered the victim.

It's a real can of worms.

If Rick is apologizing, to everyone, it sounds like there's more than a monetary scandal.

Never forget that fundies like to keep secrets in the families/churches. Not sure if John or Rick ever spoke out against Josh's scandals. But IFB and SBC are really good at forcing people to think they need to keep secrets.   If someone encouraged them to speak out,  especially someone of the cloth, that could be extremely problematic to Rick's long-term schemes.

Curious and curiouser...

ETA: And we did have a verified poster who came in to discuss John being overly sexual and aggressive with her when she was around 14.  He covered his ass with the help of his parents, and she was held up for blame and judgment.  It wouldn't be surprising if they were conspiring to cover up some shitty behavior.

Edited by apandaaries

squiddysquid

Mhm, that would explain why they are mad at Jodi, they probably wouldn't to it if it's only financial, money is not women's business.

However covering up for your pig of a son who molested a young girl, and both parents abusing their standing at church to cover it up, yes.

We now they had no problem keeping quiet for fucking Josh Duggar the molester son-in-law, so it wouldn't come as a surprise.

NoneIsEnough
4 hours ago, NancyDrewFan1989 said:

Really stupid dumb question here, but is Rick Shrader still like associated with Tri-County Baptist or not? I'm just asking because I just went to their website, not Facebook page, and found photos of him and they list him as the pastor. Just wondering.

Yes, he is still the pastor. He had tried to step back (partially retire) last year, and that's why pastor Steve Rogers was brought in. I think he was going to just be part time.

But now that pastor Rogers is out, I think Rick has stepped back into the main pastor role. Who knows if they will try again with someone new so Rick can retire again, that remains to be seen. All mentions of Pastor Rogers have been scrubbed from the website. 

Howl
16 hours ago, apandaaries said:

ETA: And we did have a verified poster who came in to discuss John being overly sexual and aggressive with her when she was around 14.  He covered his ass with the help of his parents, and she was held up for blame and judgment.  It wouldn't be surprising if they were conspiring to cover up some shitty behavior.

This! 

The "touch not mine anointed" and "no gossip!" crowd have a playbook for covering up bad behavior as @apandaaries so aptly noted. 

Also,  Rick got into a very healthy groove awhile back and went from schlubby to trim and fit...Did he stray?  But why would that have anything to do with chasing off the new pastor?  Apparently no one is spilling the beans on line that we know of.  Darn! 

Curioser and curioser! 

NancyDrewFan1989
19 hours ago, apandaaries said:

If Rick is apologizing, to everyone, it sounds like there's more than a monetary scandal.

Never forget that fundies like to keep secrets in the families/churches. Not sure if John or Rick ever spoke out against Josh's scandals. But IFB and SBC are really good at forcing people to think they need to keep secrets.   If someone encouraged them to speak out,  especially someone of the cloth, that could be extremely problematic to Rick's long-term schemes.

Curious and curiouser...

I wonder if a member of the church came across the poster and found out how Rick covered for John. I feel for the young woman who was victimized by John. If someone in the church did find out about how Rick covered for John, then they may have found more young women who were victimized by John and/or other friends and family of Rick and he covered it up. It wouldn't be the first time a fundie pastor got caught doing covering up sexual abuse of minors before. 

Jasmar

It makes me sick to say it, but I don’t think the problem involved sexual abuse, for the simple fact that fundies (and wayyy too many fundie-lite, etc) don’t give a damn about it. In fact, they almost always side with the leader. But mess with their money? Hell yeah, now we’ve got a problem.

apandaaries
1 hour ago, NancyDrewFan1989 said:

I wonder if a member of the church came across the poster and found out how Rick covered for John. I feel for the young woman who was victimized by John. If someone in the church did find out about how Rick covered for John, then they may have found more young women who were victimized by John and/or other friends and family of Rick and he covered it up. It wouldn't be the first time a fundie pastor got caught doing covering up sexual abuse of minors before. 

If so, that’d explain how they would blame Jodi, too. But financial shenanigans would do the same, as well. Wonder what the combination would produce... 🤔 

formergothardite
2 hours ago, Jasmar said:

It makes me sick to say it, but I don’t think the problem involved sexual abuse, for the simple fact that fundies (and wayyy too many fundie-lite, etc) don’t give a damn about it. In fact, they almost always side with the leader. But mess with their money? Hell yeah, now we’ve got a problem.

I'm still leaning towards it being financial too. Rick over explaining twice why they list an elderly couple who aren't members and who don't even live in the area as tithing just really points to someone getting a good look at the books and seeing red flags. 

Xan

If anyone is wondering about who is attending Rick's church right now, some renegade cameraman did some panning shots of the congregation of the Sunday service during the prayer.

Spoiler

260751293_Leftsideofchurch.jpg.5d625bbeef71563c7a000c5695101f3a.jpg919303388_rightsideofchurch.jpg.536bbc3e76a378e160a60dd514c86b15.jpg

He's yelling again about tithing.  That money belongs to GOD!  He trying to get church attendance to increase.  He's here and he fighting for the life of his sheep!  He's calling people to try to get them to come to church.  At one point, he admits that he's just "down" and is leaning on God to help him up.  He rambles on about Enron and illegal trades and segues into talking about walking in on a argument in an office and tells us that "you're a fool if  you don't hear both sides".  "Lean not to your own understanding."  He wants to stand on the Bible and on the council  and on good advice and , sometimes, on rebuke.  It feels to me that he really wants to tell his side but just can't.  I don't know if it's just that bad or whether he's been legally enjoined not to discuss things publicly.   His talks are getting weirder and weirder.

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 1
  • Thank You 8

ignorantobserver

These photos are... not impressive. I mean, that's a good thing, people keep their distance inside the church, but still... I counted 19 attendants. Not great. Those 19 really need to tithe half of their income in order to feed Rick's son and grandkids...

NancyDrewFan1989
On 6/2/2020 at 5:37 PM, Jasmar said:

I really just want to know what Rick is being a accused of. Whether it is money, sexual abuse, covering up sexual abuse and/or all of the above it really needs to come out. The longer John acts secretive and brags about how godly of man his dad is the more questions that are going to be raised. I am sure there are members of the church who hear who are staying and others who have chosen to leave. Rick's constant apologizing and John giving everyone vague explanations to the accusations is only going to raise more questions. At some point, I believe, Rick and/or John is going to have to answer them and tell everyone what is happening and what the accusations are. The more John evades answering the questions about the accusations against his father the more people are going think there is a massive cover-up of some sorts in the works. I just hope that John and/or Rick and Jodi do a post whether it is one Facebook, the church website, and/or a mailer to a newspaper to tell people what is going on. 

Ozlsn
10 hours ago, NancyDrewFan1989 said:

At some point, I believe, Rick and/or John is going to have to answer them and tell everyone what is happening and what the accusations are.

They'll probably do a Brian Houston when he stood up in Hillsong to talk about the allegations against his father Frank - and managed to talk about repentance and forgiveness for quite a while without actually saying what the allegations actually were. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

formergothardite

I don't think they will ever be clear about what really happened. The only way the truth will come out is if someone else publishes it. John and Rick thrive on keeping much of their life in the shadows. Can't have too many people look closely at it or the house of cards will come tumbling down. 

EyesOpen

I don’t think it will be explained clearly. Whomever said that these orgs take secrecy seriously is correct. If they had to repair or rebuild after 2017 and there are 19 people in the church and maybe another... 20 online? I don’t see how there can be enough $ to keep John and his very large family in food and the toys and comforts John ‘needs’. I can only pray that someone is starting to figure out how to start flying those kids home. 
I don’t really feel Esther is knowingly complicit. She’s a trained helpmeet. Her ‘job’ is to run the house and children wherever and however her headship says. I think living with someone with his seeming issues and isolated away from your family etc... would make you start questioning your own sanity and judgement. She also doesn’t have any decent education to even know to go looking for resources that would tell her this is wrong and messed up. Most of her family she might be in touch with would tell her to stay and keep sweet and pray and that’s she’s doing gods work having babies and being a missionary.

ignorantobserver
3 hours ago, EyesOpen said:

I don’t really feel Esther is knowingly complicit.

I agree that she is probably not aware of any financial wrongdoings. That's a male domain after all ! She probably sincerely believes that her husband and father-in-law are the holiest people to ever walk the earth. I am however convinced that she is on board with the idea of being a missionary family in Zambia. I am under the impression that fundie wives aren't really supposed to obey like a dog, without ever asking questions (except for the Maxwell family, of course), but rather like a majordomo, running the house in a proactive and independent manner, giving unobtrusive advice if necessary, and that husbands are encouraged to see them as competent in their domain (childcare, cooking, housework, but also education and healthcare). The Shrader's deputation and subsequent life in Zambia affect all of these things significantly, so I am quite convinced that John "had" to ask for her agreement (and maybe more ? do missionary wives need a "calling" of their own ?). Of course, he strikes me as someone who would completely steamroll any objections, but this behavior, as far as I am able to understand their culture, would not be seen as a good thing : he is supposed to take his "beloved" into account. If she were really opposed to the mission, I think she could have easily construed a good reason to sabotage her husband while staying within the acceptable mindset. As for the sabotaging itself, that would have been a walk in the park.

NancyDrewFan1989
11 hours ago, Ozlsn said:

They'll probably do a Brian Houston when he stood up in Hillsong to talk about the allegations against his father Frank - and managed to talk about repentance and forgiveness for quite a while without actually saying what the allegations actually were. 

I have a feeling they will do the same thing. However, Rick constantly apologizing and John posting about the allegations while giving vague answers is going to raise more questions from their supporters, church members, friends, etc. From the way it looks to me Rick has managed to gain some better footing in Tri-County Baptist church after the allegations through apologizing to the congregation. However, the more John talks about them, the more people are going to ask creating more questions. Rick just needs to come out and say what happened because John isn't going to shut up about them. The more John talks, the more of a problems it is going to make, as if John hasn't made enough problems already. 

10 hours ago, formergothardite said:

I don't think they will ever be clear about what really happened. The only way the truth will come out is if someone else publishes it. John and Rick thrive on keeping much of their life in the shadows. Can't have too many people look closely at it or the house of cards will come tumbling down. 

The only real question I have is if John talking about these allegations going to dig a bigger hole for Rick. I really believe the more John talks, the more difficult it is going to be for Rick and their supporters to support them unless Rick comes clean. It looks like Tri-County Baptist congregation is forgiving him fundie style. But, that is not going to stop John from talking about the allegations while being vague. In my opinion, it is starting to look like John is creating a bigger mess (as if he hasn't made one already) for Rick. 

Ozlsn
23 minutes ago, NancyDrewFan1989 said:

In my opinion, it is starting to look like John is creating a bigger mess (as if he hasn't made one already) for Rick. 

If that leads to John being "recalled" from Zambia... I could live with it. It would be pretty funny if John basically manages to cause things by being unable to keep his mouth shut. I look forward to more poetry lamenting the injustice of the world (towards John).

NancyDrewFan1989
3 hours ago, Ozlsn said:

If that leads to John being "recalled" from Zambia... I could live with it. It would be pretty funny if John basically manages to cause things by being unable to keep his mouth shut. I look forward to more poetry lamenting the injustice of the world (towards John).

Same here. John being recalled from Zambia his dad gave him too much of the church funds wouldn't shock me. John would come back over blaming everything on Satan when this was his own doing. 

Howl
On 6/3/2020 at 12:03 AM, Xan said:

He rambles on about Enron and illegal trades and segues into talking about walking in on a argument in an office and tells us that "you're a fool if  you don't hear both sides".

Damn, that's fascinating.  Enron, of course, was a huge Houston-based company trading energy commodities, Katy is a bedroom community of Houston.  Enron imploded spectacularly in 2001; they'd been cooking the books big time to hide toxic debt levels. 

Could Rick have made some very dicey recent investments with church money or something related to stock trades? I'm leaning financial at the moment.  

Side note. I have a stockbroker friend who pulled all of his clients out of Enron quite awhile before the implosion, because, basically, they had no product, no inventory, nothing tangible.   The entire company was based on something ephemeral. 

Giraffe

My take on Esther is that she's like many of the mothers we discuss here. She's victim and perpetrator. She's a victim of horrid theology but that doesn't remove the responsibility she has to protect her children. I'm sure she doesn't have the emotional capacity to do anything to change her circumstances but for the children's sake, she's still part of the problem. 

NancyDrewFan1989
On 6/2/2020 at 5:55 PM, apandaaries said:

If so, that’d explain how they would blame Jodi, too. But financial shenanigans would do the same, as well. Wonder what the combination would produce... 🤔 

John losing his main funding in Zambia causing him to have to come back. So, we will probably get a bunch of poorly written poems and posts about Satan and the evil allegations against Rick. John's main source of income for staying in Zambia seems to come from Rick even though, I think, he is not funded by the Tri-County Church. So, if Rick did use church funds to sponsor his exploits it could have created a stir since he was lying about what their money was being used for. Throw that in with a sexual abuse allegation and you have yourself a major church scandal.

Plus, John seems to have trouble holding down a church sponsorship for more than a year that isn't Rick's it seems like. He was, I believe, primarily under his fathers church until some time last year when he had to find a new one. How John lost his dad's sponsorship, I don't know? I can only figure out that Rick's congregants wanted to know where he got all the money for an airplane and new car for. So, it wouldn't surprise me if Rick started diverting money the moment the church started to stop sponsoring him. 

On 6/5/2020 at 2:35 PM, Giraffe said:

My take on Esther is that she's like many of the mothers we discuss here. She's victim and perpetrator. She's a victim of horrid theology but that doesn't remove the responsibility she has to protect her children. I'm sure she doesn't have the emotional capacity to do anything to change her circumstances but for the children's sake, she's still part of the problem. 

Don't forget uneducated. Esther, like her two younger sisters Priscilla and Anna, sounds like she barely passed her GED test at 16 so she can prepare for marriage. Like you I do believe she is complicit but not fully comprehending the mess she is in. 

subsaharanafrica
On 5/22/2020 at 1:11 PM, Gobsmacked said:

I'm 99% sure that Esther and the kids probably have picked up enough for day-to-day things. John? Nope. Twitler doesn't wear masks, John doesn't learn the language. He is talking about permanent residency? He has possibly 'only just discovered' that he is required to learn a local language. (I'm just guessing, betting it's true though) He is a twit. He is also winding us up over CAPITAL/ CAPITOL. He thinks it's funny. Such a dumb bear. 

:562479b1e2079_Whyhullothurwave: Hi Johnboy. 

IDK, the things on the board from the class he shared are super basic and doesn’t seem to be a good starting point for people who already know something of the language.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

Howl

Hope Rick's sermon/comments from today's Sunday service will be posted on their website! More clues?

NancyDrewFan1989
4 hours ago, Howl said:

Hope Rick's sermon/comments from today's Sunday service will be posted on their website! More clues?

Same here! I don't see Rick and Jodi talking themselves out of this issue easily. I believe they have found themselves heavily criticized by members of their congregation before and gotten out of it. It doesn't look like he is going to be able to talk his way out of this one.

ignorantobserver
Posted (edited)

John has stopped talking about his father and added several posts about all the good work he does down there in deepest, darkest Africa. Mission stuff, not very interesting.

He managed to get the necessary paperwork for his youngest son, and it sounds like he has finally understood how the system works and is taking it seriously. He also has very concerning news for Zambia :

Our entire family is now covered and legal for the next two years! We will have one final time like this two years from now, then at ten years we can apply for Residency!! That will be a joyful day, let me tell you!

Poor, poor Zambia... well, the baby is very cute.

He "gently rebuked" some youngsters (while crying, obviously) whom Agape later found praying by the roadside. He pats himself on the back for this victory for several long paragraphs. Then he just can't resist the temptation to mention all these evil men who wouldn't listen to his "rebukes" and have now become "his enemies", especially one person :

I'll leave you with a serious yet true account by way of warning. Without details, one of the men I have sought in the past to share a light rebuke with in love (I thought we were very good friends) pastored a church in the States. Over a simple reproof, our relationship was drastically altered and his entire spirit changed towards me. Over the next months, new converts had left the church, lost people stopped visiting, and from what I'm told, most new visitors never returned a second time. Eventually, that pastor resigned and left the church when someone there (in love and desiring restoration) shared some reproof with him, following Matthew 18.

Does that mean his sending church in Texas has been hemorrhaging attendants over the last year ? He has to be in serious financial trouble by now !

Edited by ignorantobserver