IGNORED

Jinjer 52: She and Her Narcissistic, Lazy Husband Are Riding on Coattails

HerNameIsBuffy

10 hours ago, ItsAllOver said:

I've been reading along with this discussion, and I feel hesitant to contribute in case somehow someone I know IRL happens to read this and recognizes me and I have to flee the interwebs, but...

I've come to realize lately just how much your background matters in where you end up in life. I was definitely raised to believe I was going to college, no question at all. Neither of my parents had completed a university-level degree, but it was a given that I would. My family kind of rides the line between working class and middle class, and many of my cousins either didn't finish high school or needed extra time to graduate. A college education is not a thing they would even consider. I did well in high-school and even better in college, and then... that was sort of it. I ended up in the same low-level jobs as if I had never bothered. I struggled working for several years, then decided to go to grad school. I would do better this time, fix my "mistakes" from my undergrad, and come out the other side prepared for a career in my chosen field. Well, I got the degree, can't find employment in my field, and my job options are low-wage office work.

I've come home to the same place that doesn't offer a lot of options because I don't have any support anywhere else, and I'm around the same people that don't understand why I didn't just do a short trade school to be a dental hygienist or a CNA and have a responsible adult life. My mother constantly sends me job postings for things like "bank teller" and "receptionist" because neither of us knows the names of or places to find "good jobs" (and we have different ideas of what a "good" job is). I know many of my classmates from undergrad and grad went on to have careers that actually paid the bills, even with vague degrees and subpar grades, and I don't know why I can't find that too, except that I have no connections to people that can get my jobs like that. When people in my social circle try to help me, they recommend more of the same low-wage jobs because that's all they know too.

So basically, my life choices are as limited as they always were, but now I know enough about a world where people who have professional, fulfilling jobs live and do more than scrape by that I'm angry, and I don't think I should have to make $12.00 an hour. I have few people to discuss academic subjects with because no else is interested, and I have to be careful not to be "too smart" around my family. The attitude of everyone around me is that a responsible person will work two or three jobs to make ends meet, everyone hates their job--that's just how it is, or they simply don't mind performing the same rote actions over and over again. I always want to ask, "Why do you just accept that? Why is that considered okay?" I've educated myself out of being content with the sort of my job I'm going to have, and it probably would have been better if I'd just done a trade school and never had to know what I was going to miss. Trying to navigate higher education when no one who has been there before can help you or making career connections that are outside of the social class you live in are difficult, and the missteps are so subtle, you may never know why you failed.

If you want some career advice, feel free to PM me. I graduated 5 years ago and I’ve helped most of my friends find good jobs. 

• Upvote 2
  • Love 5

@QuiverFullofBooks To be fair, I immediately came to this thread when I saw the pic to see if anyone else thought it was racist at first too. But then I looked at the comments and realized she was making fun of Jeremy's "thoughtful" pose. Yikes....I do think I saw a handful of commenters who thought the same. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 3

10 hours ago, ItsAllOver said:

I've been reading along with this discussion, and I feel hesitant to contribute in case somehow someone I know IRL happens to read this and recognizes me and I have to flee the interwebs, but...

I've come to realize lately just how much your background matters in where you end up in life. I was definitely raised to believe I was going to college, no question at all. Neither of my parents had completed a university-level degree, but it was a given that I would. My family kind of rides the line between working class and middle class, and many of my cousins either didn't finish high school or needed extra time to graduate. A college education is not a thing they would even consider. I did well in high-school and even better in college, and then... that was sort of it. I ended up in the same low-level jobs as if I had never bothered. I struggled working for several years, then decided to go to grad school. I would do better this time, fix my "mistakes" from my undergrad, and come out the other side prepared for a career in my chosen field. Well, I got the degree, can't find employment in my field, and my job options are low-wage office work.

I've come home to the same place that doesn't offer a lot of options because I don't have any support anywhere else, and I'm around the same people that don't understand why I didn't just do a short trade school to be a dental hygienist or a CNA and have a responsible adult life. My mother constantly sends me job postings for things like "bank teller" and "receptionist" because neither of us knows the names of or places to find "good jobs" (and we have different ideas of what a "good" job is). I know many of my classmates from undergrad and grad went on to have careers that actually paid the bills, even with vague degrees and subpar grades, and I don't know why I can't find that too, except that I have no connections to people that can get my jobs like that. When people in my social circle try to help me, they recommend more of the same low-wage jobs because that's all they know too.

So basically, my life choices are as limited as they always were, but now I know enough about a world where people who have professional, fulfilling jobs live and do more than scrape by that I'm angry, and I don't think I should have to make $12.00 an hour. I have few people to discuss academic subjects with because no else is interested, and I have to be careful not to be "too smart" around my family. The attitude of everyone around me is that a responsible person will work two or three jobs to make ends meet, everyone hates their job--that's just how it is, or they simply don't mind performing the same rote actions over and over again. I always want to ask, "Why do you just accept that? Why is that considered okay?" I've educated myself out of being content with the sort of my job I'm going to have, and it probably would have been better if I'd just done a trade school and never had to know what I was going to miss. Trying to navigate higher education when no one who has been there before can help you or making career connections that are outside of the social class you live in are difficult, and the missteps are so subtle, you may never know why you failed.

You would still realize the injustice ...  by observation, by living in the world, by using the Internet.  

I make shit money in my day job, but I don't even know what I'd go back to school for that would be practical and if I want to buy / flip property as a means of moving up in the world (something I've already started on), I can't have student loans.  

What's the age that a lot of schools let you go for free?  That's probably the age I'd want to go.  I'm too busy making a living in my own way and hopefully raising a family soon.  I can do that at 30.  I can't start that at 65, at least not as easily.  If I'm 65 or something and my classes are free, I'd probably go for a degree in social science...  for fun, I guess, because I don't think graduate degrees are free at any age.

I'm not stupid or anti education.  I just don't see what I would use a degree for.  I want my work and my life to be portable, on my own time.  If I were incapable of critical thought, I wouldn't have thought to do this.  

I have a degree I'm not using that I gained practical knowledge from.  What I make now is pittance, but still more than people make in that field.  I was accepted to another school, balked at the prices, and didn't go.  Part of me feels guilty that I don't see the point in going back, like that's a moral failing.

... I would rather be working and portable than middle class and psychologically abused.  I had a promotion I moved to transfer out of because it was so psychologically violent.  Another reason I don't know what I'd go back for.  I don't want to be around more people like that.  (I was targeted by people high up in a company for being multiracial.)

• Confused 2

@raspberrymint - I have an undergrad degree that I guess I only use the critical thinking & communication piece of. And how to form an argument. 
I know a LOT of people who went back to school for a masters degree in various things (mostly business - for a while there - it felt like they were giving them away like candy). I never understood the reason I would want to do that. I don't need it to get to the next level in my job. I don't have a job that I want to switch careers for that would require it. So - what's the point? Plus some of the stupidest people I know ("Is New Mexico considered an international flight from Michigan?") were getting them and ugh - I just couldn't see the reason. 

That said - if I won the lottery tomorrow and money and working was no longer a barrier - there are a MILLION things I'd like to go into. Speech therapy, being an Education Assistant for the school board, being an "adoption doula" (which I'd have to make up cuz there isn't such a thing), being a child advocate for IEPs in the school system (going with the parents to help them). 
Architecture, house restoration (plenty of old homes in Detroit need rehab). 
But - how could I pick one thing and how would it make money? 

• Upvote 1
  • Love 2

10 hours ago, raspberrymint said:

What's the age that a lot of schools let you go for free?  That's probably the age I'd want to go.  I'm too busy making a living in my own way and hopefully raising a family soon.  I can do that at 30.  I can't start that at 65, at least not as easily.  If I'm 65 or something and my classes are free, I'd probably go for a degree in social science...  for fun, I guess, because I don't think graduate degrees are free at any age.

I don't know of any schools that allow people to attend for free based on age, but my university has a drastically reduced rate for people 60+ years old. It's about half of the regular rate. This is a private school, I'm not sure whether state schools do similar things - if they do it would end up being very cheap.

Attending higher education in the US is a financial decision. I don't think you need to feel guilty about making a practical financial choice - I wish it weren't so dependent on finances, but that's the reality of it. If you have the means and time to go back to school when you're older, go for it!

13 hours ago, AussieKrissy said:

Wtf?????? She is social

media clueless as Jill. And Jill ha ha it... 

is she mocking Asian people or mocking Jeremy? Either way she is clueless to how it looks. 

She's mocking Jeremy.  It's just a silly pic of her goofing on her husband.  How is this clueless?

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

If you look at the picture without reading the caption and take into consideration the bowl of noodles with chopsticks in front of her, I can see someone considering it a picture of Jinger making a racist eye gesture.

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 12

I can see how it may be thought racist- but I think the clueless gesture, combined with her eyeliner pencil with an upsweep at the end of the eyelid has made an unfortunate goofy pose worse.

I wish she would think twice before she posts, but she doesn 't have the depth of thought to see things as others may see them . And Jill just adds her sixpence worth to a "funny hubby" post without a thought

• Upvote 8

Well Jeremy has signed up a speaker for a G3 conference aboard Caribbean cruise. I imagine Jinger will tag along doing whatever Jinger does at these conference- grinning at the cameras. I think we are seeing what sort of ‘pastor’ our breakout star wants to be.

https://sovereigncruises.org/g3/2020/

I hope the  link works 

• Upvote 5
  • WTF 2

On 1/23/2020 at 5:52 AM, BernRul said:

I don't think I'm being hyperbolic. 

Yeah, you are. Not even listening to the actual minority folks commenting here. Look, no one is saying that tomorrow its going to a level playing field. I'm saying that a defeatist and bitter attitude does not help anyone, especially coming from teachers. It creates a self-fulfilling prophecy. Google Marva Collins and see what she did with inner city students by not placing artificial limitations on them. 

It's not about anyone being able to do anything. We know that's not possible. It's about encouraging those who may need encouragement to reach beyond what they see in their immediate environment. 

There's no class war coming, people are too busy just trying to survive. I'm 64 and have lived in this racist, classist society all my life. No rose colored glasses here. My main issue now is the orange menace and his minions that are selling democracy down the river, all while promulgating hate. I'm fearful and have been since that fateful day in 2016. That may get me out in the street, lol. So tired of this shit. 

Edited by SilverBeach
  • Upvote 5
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 24

10 hours ago, raspberrymint said:

You would still realize the injustice ...  by observation, by living in the world, by using the Internet.  

I make shit money in my day job, but I don't even know what I'd go back to school for that would be practical and if I want to buy / flip property as a means of moving up in the world (something I've already started on), I can't have student loans.  

I'm not stupid or anti education.  I just don't see what I would use a degree for.  I want my work and my life to be portable, on my own time.  If I were incapable of critical thought, I wouldn't have thought to do this.  

I have a degree I'm not using that I gained practical knowledge from.  What I make now is pittance, but still more than people make in that field.  I was accepted to another school, balked at the prices, and didn't go.  Part of me feels guilty that I don't see the point in going back, like that's a moral failing.

... I would rather be working and portable than middle class and psychologically abused.  I had a promotion I moved to transfer out of because it was so psychologically violent.  Another reason I don't know what I'd go back for.  I don't want to be around more people like that.  (I was targeted by people high up in a company for being multiracial.)

I believe it's age twenty-five that you are considered independent and your financial aid is based solely on your own income. That always irritated me because my parents didn't pay for me to go to college, but my financial aid was based on their income, and the university thought they should be able to pay so I didn't get grants. If you have a low income, you could possibly be eligible for the type of funding you don't have to pay back. But like you said, you would have to want the degree for something specific, and right now you don't. I definitely don't think you should spend money on something you don't really want or don't feel will benefit you significantly. And it is absolutely NOT a moral failing to not want to go.

Personally, my reasons for going to college were (to my mind at least) primarily practical, not some desire to be "educated." I thought I was going to improve my future. People are always shouting statistics about how people with university degrees make more money, and degrees are supposed to be desirable to employers, even if they aren't in the same field (career services at my grad school still says this ?). My parents definitely thought it was the key to me having a better life, and I think a lot of Baby Boomer parents thought that at the time. It was a means to an end for me; I was very studious and thought I was doing everything for my future. As far as deciding to go to grad school goes, I realized after several years of working shitty jobs that things weren't ever going to get better if I didn't do something. If you're unhappy with your life, fix it! Make a change, take a risk! So I made a decision, made some pretty serious sacrifices, took a great risk--and my life is just as crappy as it was before.

It turns out you don't always get back results equal to the work you put into your life, which is something I've always struggled to accept. Personally, I'm coping with that right now by watching Agatha Christie's Marple and knitting. Sometimes Jane Marple and I are knitting at the same time, and I get a bit tickled over it. Do join me--I'll make us some hot chocolate.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 5

1 hour ago, Idlewild said:

Well Jeremy has signed up a speaker for a G3 conference aboard Caribbean cruise. I imagine Jinger will tag along doing whatever Jinger does at these conference- grinning at the cameras. I think we are seeing what sort of ‘pastor’ our breakout star wants to be.

I hope the  link works 

That's year away.  Jinger could be too heavily pregnant to go, or have a new born or even an older baby by then.  Or they could still have just have Felicity.

Also - worth pointing out that the speakers include Voddy vipers in diapers child abuser Buchaam (who's name I can't spell).  Jinger and Felicity are not free, they just wear nice clothes.

• Upvote 11
  • Love 1

8 minutes ago, imokit said:

That's year away.  Jinger could be too heavily pregnant to go, or have a new born or even an older baby by then.  Or they could still have just have Felicity.

Also - worth pointing out that the speakers include Voddy vipers in diapers child abuser Buchaam (who's name I can't spell).  Jinger and Felicity are not free, they just wear nice clothes.

It’s a fairly short cruise so if she were unable to travel I expect he would go alone but his bio on the website makes it clear his main qualification is marrying Jinger Duggar so he would probably need her to remind people why he’s relevant - assuming his food tasting/gentleman’s clothing TLC show hasn’t become a thing by then.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 14
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, Idlewild said:

I hope the  link works 

Sounds like a cruise to hell to me. 

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 3
  • I Agree 11

20 hours ago, nokidsmom said:

My degree from a liberal arts college helped me learn to write better.  Regarding those throwaway English classes?  I have yet to hear from any HR department that they didn't want their applicants to write well.   

and even engineers need to be able to communicate in a thoughtful and concise manner. 

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 2

1 hour ago, ItsAllOver said:

I believe it's age twenty-five that you are considered independent and your financial aid is based solely on your own income. That always irritated me because my parents didn't pay for me to go to college, but my financial aid was based on their income, and the university thought they should be able to pay so I didn't get grants.

Small correction - it's not the university expecting them to pay, it's a federal aid regulation that all students under 25ish who are not married, supporting a child, a veteran, in legal guardianship, whose parents are not both deceased, or have not experienced an "involuntary dissolution of the family" are considered dependent. The parents' income has to be included in eligibility calculations - if the university were to skirt that they could be in jeopardy of losing federal aid for their students.

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 4

My school used to have free education for seniors, maybe like 15 years ago? Then it went to reduced prices, and now you have to pay the same as everyone else to attend. 

@Meggo I've noticed a lot of people in engineering or computer science (or even students going for architecture!!!) will say things like that, they don't understand why writing or history will be relevant to them. As much as people my age complain about college not teaching them practical skills....writing/English is a practical skill! They just don't see it and take it for granted. 

I decided to finally go to college because my parents never even finished high school, let alone college. They've worked in warehouses, kitchens, and even among the trades. They've always warned me how miserable it is and says if they could do it over again, they'd try to go to college. Because even if they spent their life in debt, at least they would be working off their debt in a comfy office or store, and not in places that break their bodies and spirits. They are only in their 50s but they have the bodies of 80-year-olds. They never wanted that for me. And as I've watched them, it's something I never wanted for myself. If I graduate college and end up in a job that's better than working graveyard shift in a dirty warehouse (usually with at least 50% coworkers who can't get any other job because they are usually pretty extreme criminals, like convicted pedophiles or violence-related) making poverty-wages with zero benefits and zero oversight....then that is a step up for me, for my family. 

• Upvote 3
  • Love 9

I’m curious as to whether he got to write his own bio for the website or it was written for him. The other men listed at least have where they studied or what theological degrees they have or what ministries they work for, while his reads like he has no theological training whatsoever and is incredibly unqualified to be presenting (which he is, but why would he want to portray that?). You’d think he’d list his previous work in Laredo and his enrollment in the Master’s Seminary. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1

South Carolina still has free education at public colleges for those of us 65 and over.  I intend to make use of that to take three terms of ASL at Spartanburg Community College.  I might take some other courses as well.  

• Upvote 2
  • Love 8

4 minutes ago, JanasTattooParlor said:

I’m curious as to whether he got to write his own bio for the website or it was written for him. The other men listed at least have where they studied or what theological degrees they have or what ministries they work for, while his reads like he has no theological training whatsoever and is incredibly unqualified to be presenting (which he is, but why would he want to portray that?). You’d think he’d list his previous work in Laredo and his enrollment in the Master’s Seminary. 

I notice he’s edited the culinary arts & fashion but from his Instagram bio- perhaps it didn’t give him the gravitas needed for the Masters Seminary! 
Marriage to Jinger is his main achievement- he doesn’t currently have a church, no published works, just a social media account of him posing with food. 

• Upvote 14

1 hour ago, JanasTattooParlor said:

I think g3 is uber reformed. So if his theology lines up they probably think his “celebrity” is a win on its own. I agree that they’re not free. It’s not IBLP but still super dogmatic and rigid. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2

14 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

She's mocking Jeremy.  It's just a silly pic of her goofing on her husband.  How is this clueless?

Other people have answered this for me :) 

17 hours ago, Idlewild said:

I notice he’s edited the culinary arts & fashion but from his Instagram bio- perhaps it didn’t give him the gravitas needed for the Masters Seminary! 
Marriage to Jinger is his main achievement- he doesn’t currently have a church, no published works, just a social media account of him posing with food. 

Jeremy doesn’t have a church? Why did they move to LA?

I mostly hang out in the regular snark board and have fallen behind on Jinger.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Grimalkin said:

Jeremy doesn’t have a church? Why did they move to LA?

I mostly hang out in the regular snark board and have fallen behind on Jinger.

They moved so he could attend the Masters Seminary. From what I can glean he was ordained as a pastor by his father and doesn’t have any theological qualifications - I could be wrong about that but I don’t think his degree was in theology or anything like that. 

He’s done a few podcasts, speaking gigs and officiated at some minor celebrity’s wedding but the rest of his time is studying, posing for pictures and shilling various products plus cameo shout outs.

• Upvote 6

On 1/24/2020 at 1:54 PM, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Sounds like a cruise to hell to me. 

a cruise to hell, while wearing Wholesome Wear?

• Haha 10

• Coconut Flan locked this topic