IGNORED

Jinjer 52: She and Her Narcissistic, Lazy Husband Are Riding on Coattails

HerNameIsBuffy

4 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

a cruise to hell, while wearing Wholesome Wear?

Maybe she's shopping for a real swimsuit! Bikini is too much to wish for, but maybe a decent one piece suit?

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Idlewild said:

I’ve never been on a cruise. Felicity will be what, 2 and a half? Do people take small children on cruises? 

Absolutely. There are very cheap prices for children and even free tickets sometimes. Cruises have nurseries and activities for little children, swimming pool, etc.

I hate cruises for several reasons, but I know some families than use to take that kind of holidays because the parents can rest while kids play supervised, so it's a win-win.

(Not saying Jinger is putting Felicity in the cruise nursery, just saying that they will find other families with children there).

• Upvote 16

1 hour ago, Idlewild said:

I’ve never been on a cruise. Felicity will be what, 2 and a half? Do people take small children on cruises? 

Definitely! Some cruises are better suited to children (Royal Caribbean vs. Carnival for example), but you’ll always find kiddos on a cruise.

• Upvote 6

4 minutes ago, DalmatianCat said:

Definitely! Some cruises are better suited to children (Royal Caribbean vs. Carnival for example), but you’ll always find kiddos on a cruise.

Thanks- the people I know who've gone on cruises have been couples or friends, none taking children. I suppose it will be a free holiday for Jinger and Felicity.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Idlewild said:

They moved so he could attend the Masters Seminary. From what I can glean he was ordained as a pastor by his father and doesn’t have any theological qualifications - I could be wrong about that but I don’t think his degree was in theology or anything like that. 

He’s done a few podcasts, speaking gigs and officiated at some minor celebrity’s wedding but the rest of his time is studying, posing for pictures and shilling various products plus cameo shout outs.

Thanks. He probably would never of done podcasts or speaking engagements if her were not Martinez to Jinger. So annoying. I hope he realizes that.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 3

On 1/24/2020 at 1:34 PM, Idlewild said:

....assuming his food tasting/gentleman’s clothing TLC show hasn’t become a thing by then.

I propose a FJ Contest to name Jeremy's "show"...I'll start.

OMG-Q

Posh Preacher

Souls or insoles?

Fancy Foodie and Felicity!

Edited by Exposedknees
  • Haha 17

Foodies Over Pharisees 

Jesus Loves (shopping at) TheMall

Best Dressed Disciple 

Artisan Loaves and Keto Fishes-Cooking with JinJer

• Haha 23

I can't imagine taking small children on a cruise. However my brother in law and sister in law have taken their two year old on a cruise. She loves it so yes some people take children on a cruise and some cruises cater to them. 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, LacyMay said:

Foodies Over Pharisees 

Jesus Loves (shopping at) TheMall

Best Dressed Disciple 

Artisan Loaves and Keto Fishes-Cooking with JinJer

BeSpoke Bible Thumper

Hermès and Hermeneutics

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 12
  • Love 1

16 hours ago, Exposedknees said:

I propose a FJ Contest to name Jeremy's "show"...I'll start.

OMG-Q

Posh Preacher

Souls or insoles?

Fancy Foodie and Felicity!

Money for Nothing

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 7
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 3

On 1/24/2020 at 1:11 PM, Eponine said:

Small correction - it's not the university expecting them to pay, it's a federal aid regulation that all students under 25ish who are not married, supporting a child, a veteran, in legal guardianship, whose parents are not both deceased, or have not experienced an "involuntary dissolution of the family" are considered dependent. The parents' income has to be included in eligibility calculations - if the university were to skirt that they could be in jeopardy of losing federal aid for their students.

I'm older than 25.  I had to wait until I was 25 to get my degree thanks to the silly standards of what makes an independent student.  My parents wanted me to go to college, but wouldn't help me out unless it was on their very specific terms.  (I declined.)

I looked into senior education, and a lot of those classes are uncredited.  The only place I could find that allows credited classes and extends this to the graduate level is the University of Delaware.  I already have an Associate's.  Most free senior classes are only for community colleges.  Another gripe is classes aren't necessarily available in a lot of these programs.  If a senior and another student both want an almost full class, it goes to the other student.  I went part time for affordability and it took forever.  Sounds like hell doing that when your life itself is literally running out of time.

At least I'll be able to move to Delaware if I want to.  My partner and I plan on a life of flexible jobs.  We have young genes.  My dad is 70 and looks 40.  I still look like a teenager (almost thirty) and my partner (mid thirties) looks completely ambiguous.  We exercise regularly.  She lived at a gym when she was homeless for years and could be a professional trainer based on her knowledge alone.  I really do think we'll be fine physically.

There's a lot I want to do, too, but that's just it.  There's a lot.  I don't want to get tied down in any one direction and spend both time and money unnecessarily.

Cruise story, kind of, I saved for years for a Disney cruise for me and some friends, but our timing never worked out.  The plan now is to go when our kids are old enough to enjoy it.  Disney had a 6 months to 1 year age minimum for its cruises, depending.  I would say 3 is when they'd really enjoy it, though, but we'll see based on the kids.

Edited by raspberrymint
Cruises. Second edit: seniors have anti priority despite shorter life expectancy
  • Upvote 2
  • Bless Your Heart 1
  • WTF 1

On 1/24/2020 at 2:47 PM, meep said:

My school used to have free education for seniors, maybe like 15 years ago? Then it went to reduced prices, and now you have to pay the same as everyone else to attend. 

@Meggo I've noticed a lot of people in engineering or computer science (or even students going for architecture!!!) will say things like that, they don't understand why writing or history will be relevant to them. As much as people my age complain about college not teaching them practical skills....writing/English is a practical skill! They just don't see it and take it for granted. 

I decided to finally go to college because my parents never even finished high school, let alone college. They've worked in warehouses, kitchens, and even among the trades. They've always warned me how miserable it is and says if they could do it over again, they'd try to go to college. Because even if they spent their life in debt, at least they would be working off their debt in a comfy office or store, and not in places that break their bodies and spirits. They are only in their 50s but they have the bodies of 80-year-olds. They never wanted that for me. And as I've watched them, it's something I never wanted for myself. If I graduate college and end up in a job that's better than working graveyard shift in a dirty warehouse (usually with at least 50% coworkers who can't get any other job because they are usually pretty extreme criminals, like convicted pedophiles or violence-related) making poverty-wages with zero benefits and zero oversight....then that is a step up for me, for my family. 

Wow. This is so classist and so full of assumptions about people and their jobs. 

My husband works in a warehouse. He makes more than most full time teachers with his years of work.  He does complicated customs paperwork, manages scheduling of carriers, manages release of product paperwork for corporate, coordinates with manufacturing and sales, handles quarterly governmental inspections of certain materials that require regulation. And, yes, sometimes he loads trucks. He has a two year degree. 
The warehouse is not dirty. And no one working with him is a felon. Even the guys whose primary job is loading and packaging. 
Do not make assumptions about any job or workplace. 

• Upvote 23
  • I Agree 6
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 11

On 1/23/2020 at 9:29 PM, squiddysquid said:

I didn't say anything about Liberal arts being snooty?

I mentioned impractical things like ancient Greek.

You go to 6 year medschool straight from high-school here. Not an undergrad and then apply for medschool system.

The second foreign language we learn after English is still French, though 99% will never have a use for that. It would be more practical to learn an Eastern European/Balkan language or Turkish or Arabic but those are immigrant languages and not considered fancy.

I apparently remembered you saying snooty (like, that word was in my brain for some reason) but you said "elite "humanistic" education." I guess you meant a subset of the arts (e.g. classics, ancient languages) rather than the broader term, liberal arts. Though I'm a scientist who doesn't really know the difference in terms, I do have a university minor in English and see the value of the arts!

What's interesting to me is the "elite" part as in Canada, only about 6% of 15-year-olds are in private schools. The rest of us are getting a standardized provincial curriculum. There are some high schools that offer Latin but not ancient Greek, that I know of. https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/pub/11-626-x/11-626-x2015044-eng.htm

Our private school kids do, on average, go farther in their education, probably due to their high income. However, they are more likely to inflate grades compared to public schools and universities take this into account: https://globalnews.ca/news/4405495/waterloo-engineering-grade-inflation-list/

All that to say, because so few students go to private high school here, we don't seem to have as stark a difference in culture coming into post-secondary education. Probably for the best, in my opinion.

(I do see the value in Latin/ancient Greek classes but perhaps at the uni level for those interested. I'd much prefer my incoming students use their limited high school time to take Chemistry, Biology, Physics, AND Earth and Planetary Science, of which they only need two to get into the Earth Science program I teach for.)

• Upvote 4
  • Move Along 1

Were taking a "friendcation" with our closest friends next February and were doing a Carribean Cruise and will be bringing all of our children along. Collectively it will be 5 kids aged 5, 5, 7, 8, 9. It will also be the first cruise for Mr. Sullie and I so lord help us lol. 

• Upvote 6

11 hours ago, louisa05 said:

Wow. This is so classist and so full of assumptions about people and their jobs. 

My husband works in a warehouse. He makes more than most full time teachers with his years of work.  He does complicated customs paperwork, manages scheduling of carriers, manages release of product paperwork for corporate, coordinates with manufacturing and sales, handles quarterly governmental inspections of certain materials that require regulation. And, yes, sometimes he loads trucks. He has a two year degree. 
The warehouse is not dirty. And no one working with him is a felon. Even the guys whose primary job is loading and packaging. 
Do not make assumptions about any job or workplace. 

I think there has been a misunderstanding.

I described my parent's various workplaces, especially honing in on a place I've worked in on-and-off myself under their supervision since I was 12-years-old. I was not describing "all warehouse jobs," that was not my intention, just the ones my parents have experience in and the one I have worked. The warehouse they've been working in for 25 years now and the one I've worked in is absolutely filthy. Many (if not most) of the people there ARE criminals. We've had to call police to the warehouse many times and the boss is constantly putting up bail money to get his workers out of jail, or sometimes people disappear and we find out later they've been given a lengthy prison sentence. This is NOT a normal warehouse job, it's a warehouse where everyone is "freelancers" (even though they are not treated as such) because for a myriad of reasons (being "illegal" [hate that term], can't speak English, have criminal records, are completely uneducated, etc) getting a proper job with an actual paper trail is either extremely hard or outright unwanted. And places like this are ready and willing to take advantage. So I was saying my parents don't want that for me and I don't want that for myself either. 

I am ***NOT**** saying all warehouses are like this. I was trying to say this has been our experience and I'm sorry if anyone thought I meant I was dissing all warehouse and trade jobs. That is my fault for not explaining myself clearer. Sometimes I have to remember I'm not only replying to the person in question but to the whole forum. 

On the plus side, that is the first time in my life I've ever been called classist! I wish my funds would reflect my newfound fancy-ness but oh well. We can't have everything we want in life. 

• Upvote 14
  • Downvote 2
  • Confused 1
  • Love 1

I know so many families love cruises, but I honestly can't think of anything worse than taking a small baby/toddler on a cruise. For starters, kids who aren't potty trained generally are not allowed in the kids camp. Many do offer sitters but it's at an additional fee is based on availability and often have to be planned in advance - so you can't just decide to see a show that night and one will be available. Likewise, swim diapers (and non-potty trained kids) aren't allowed in the pools - so you're stuck in the splash pads.

It just doesn't seem like an enjoyable way to spend a vacation with a baby/toddler....and I say that as a mom of a toddler! Then again, we travel a lot internationally and aren't all-inclusive kind of people so maybe that's part of my opinion? If I were going solo or with girlfriends? Yep, sign my up. I'd happily sit my butt on a lounge chair all day but it's definitely not relaxing with kids.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 3

Just a note on cruising with kids. I went on a cruise with family, including a 2 1/2 year old, a couple of years ago--it was a small cruise ship (under 400 passengers), and the railings on the balconies and elsewhere--the outdoor dining areas, the pool, etc. were certainly not  active toddler proof. She totally could have wiggled through &  gone overboard if we weren't watching her closely at all times.

So that made things a little less than "carefree" for us. : )

• Upvote 8

Just want to add that we seem to have two diametrically opposed views/experiences  of warehouses here, but I think neither is mutually exclusive. Both situations can be true: we can have aboveboard warehouses, and shitty ones, simultaneously, within the same country. Not only is it possible, it’s quite likely. Companies can and do choose to run themselves very differently.

@meep rather than “illegal,” try using “undocumented.” That puts the focus back where it should be:  a bureaucratic issue.

For people who’ve been here several generations, our ancestors had far easier hurdles through which to jump. Getting to the States was the biggest issue. Our government is choosing to make it more difficult and costly for immigrants to arrive and work safely now. That’s not the fault of the immigrants; it’s racist policy at a national level. There’s nothing illegal about wanting a better life for yourself and your children, and too many are fleeing violence that the US was involved in starting, or helped by the mass production of guns and other warfare items from the US.

Edited by apandaaries
  • Upvote 17
  • Thank You 3
  • Love 2

We went on a cruise to the Norwegian Fjords last summer and brought our 15 year old grandson. We all had a blast. He spent most of the day hanging out with other teens in a supervised group. We saw him occasionally, usually for dinner.

• Upvote 3

@apandaaries Thank you for helping on which term to use! And sometimes I have to remember not everyone will understand my experiences. I come from a very different world than the norm, for various reasons. 

In other up-to-date, totally not fluff news, the newest article about Jinger I can find is....how she accidentally front-hugged Jeremy when they were courting. You are like 4 years too late, folks!

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2020 at 7:22 AM, Idlewild said:

Money for Nothing

And Chick-Fil-A for free

• Upvote 9
  • Haha 13
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, EmmieJ said:

And Chick-Fil-A for free

Was MTV still around when Jeremy was a teen? If so, you know he’d have been partaking.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic