IGNORED

Kristen Nicole Young

Seculardaisy

13 hours ago, indianabones said:

Oh no, her followers actually BELIEVE that Pizzagate happened and that it's being covered up by the "librul media".

The prices are high. These people think that if you pay $13,000 for an armoire you're actually ordering a trafficked person.

I realize these people think Pizzagate is real. It's a "broken clocks right twice a day" situation here! (That Pizzagate and this conspiracy make the same amount of sense, not that the amount of sense is "any.")

I was confused because I thought Wayfair was pretty reasonably priced. I read the Snopes article, which explains that the odd item on Wayfair is very expensive, so therefore this is the item you'd buy when you actually want to buy a child "in secret."

Obviously there is zero evidence for this, someone probably accidentally typed in that the shower curtain was $9999 instead of $99.99 and the number of people with zero critical thinking skills out there in the world is pretty alarming.

I'm a uni lecturer and I do wonder how much I can actually teach critical thinking. I should look up the psych papers on this but I think the gullible students come out still pretty gullible after 4 years despite all our best efforts. Not sure if it needs to be taught earlier or is more genetic. Hmm!

• Upvote 11

1 hour ago, PlentyOfJesusFishInTheSea said:

I realize these people think Pizzagate is real. It's a "broken clocks right twice a day" situation here! (That Pizzagate and this conspiracy make the same amount of sense, not that the amount of sense is "any.")

I was confused because I thought Wayfair was pretty reasonably priced. I read the Snopes article, which explains that the odd item on Wayfair is very expensive, so therefore this is the item you'd buy when you actually want to buy a child "in secret."

Obviously there is zero evidence for this, someone probably accidentally typed in that the shower curtain was $9999 instead of $99.99 and the number of people with zero critical thinking skills out there in the world is pretty alarming.

I'm a uni lecturer and I do wonder how much I can actually teach critical thinking. I should look up the psych papers on this but I think the gullible students come out still pretty gullible after 4 years despite all our best efforts. Not sure if it needs to be taught earlier or is more genetic. Hmm!

Absolutely not genetic (and kind of troubling to even give that consideration, unless you were joking)... we (the US) need to start teaching critical thinking way earlier, really starting in preschool. Let kids solve problems through trial and error. Teach kids how and why things work the way they do in science and math. For history and language classes, teach them the rationale and though process behind different actions and events, from the perspective of various participants. Let them hypothesize why they think so,etching has appended, then use primary source documents to figure out if they were right. The US education system relies heavily on rote memorization, which gives us a citizenry who can regurgitate facts (or “facts”) but can’t understand the rationale for pretty much anything happening in the world.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, mpheels said:

Absolutely not genetic (and kind of troubling to even give that consideration, unless you were joking)... we (the US) need to start teaching critical thinking way earlier, really starting in preschool. Let kids solve problems through trial and error. Teach kids how and why things work the way they do in science and math. For history and language classes, teach them the rationale and though process behind different actions and events, from the perspective of various participants. Let them hypothesize why they think so,etching has appended, then use primary source documents to figure out if they were right. The US education system relies heavily on rote memorization, which gives us a citizenry who can regurgitate facts (or “facts”) but can’t understand the rationale for pretty much anything happening in the world.

Well, intelligence has some genetic component and arguably critical thinking is part of that.

However, everyone can improve; perhaps we can't all improve to the same level though.

Interestingly, here in Ontario we have just moved away from "discovery math," which is supposed to teach problem solving skills, multiple ways to approach a problem, and critical thinking. Maybe the issue was training elementary teachers in it, but it did not seem to prepare students for high school math. So now we're back to memorizing times tables.

I think education tends to swing between rote memorizing and "discovery" but (it seems obvious to me at least) there's a happy medium in there somewhere.

To get way into a thread drift here, I really like the Learning Scientists website (and encourage my students to use their learning/studying habits). Here's their take on teaching critical thinking: https://www.learningscientists.org/blog/2019/2/28/can-we-teach-critical-thinking

Yes, it is a difficult skill that takes practice, so you have to spent a lot of time on it. I find I am least successful teaching critical thinking in first- and second-year "info-dump" classes at university. Then when I want to do it in a fourth-year class, they look at me like I have 2 heads! They eventually figure out what is being asking of them. I have a big fourth-year class so I wish I could read their group report and give lots of feedback but it doesn't happen due to a shortage of instructional support. (Same old story.)

When you teach a lot of students, you definitely run into some that don't need to be taught these skills, making me think they've learned it before or are just naturally good at it. I don't usually talk to parents but my partner does (he teaches high school) and sometimes the parents are flummoxed at their kid's brilliance.

• Upvote 4

9 hours ago, PlentyOfJesusFishInTheSea said:

I just reread what you wrote and realized that it was very clear, yet I completely misread it. My apologies!

I'm just now seeing this topic. Can anyone please provide a link to the video referenced above?  (I don't know where it's located and it hasn't shown up in my searches.) Thank you!

• Upvote 1

Do we have a thread on this pizza gate thing. It’s popping up all over my social media. It seems bloody awful. 

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, AussieKrissy said:

Do we have a thread on this pizza gate thing. It’s popping up all over my social media. It seems bloody awful. 

It’s horrible and dangerous and people I know have gotten death threats from it. It’s fake to the hugest extent. 

Basically they think a child sex trafficking ring was run out of the basement of a pizza restaurant in DC. I’ve been there. I don’t even think there is a basement. 

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, closetcagebaby said:

It’s horrible and dangerous and people I know have gotten death threats from it. It’s fake to the hugest extent. 

Basically they think a child sex trafficking ring was run out of the basement of a pizza restaurant in DC. I’ve been there. I don’t even think there is a basement. 

Nope, the building doesn't even have a basement.  A few years ago there was a guy who was pulled over in his car.  Turns out he was armed and about to storm the pizza place to break up the child trafficking ring and free the kids from the basement.  This stuff is so dangerous.

• Upvote 6

Business Insider article about the Wayfair conspiracy and Wayfair’s response...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.businessinsider.com/wayfair-denies-sex-trafficking-claims-involving-expensive-cabinets-2020-7%3famp

The conspiracy is mind bogglingly stupid and completely baseless.  

It’s scary how the internet gives these beyond-crazy-conspiracy nuts such a loud platform.  It’s truly troubling how they can so easily share & encourage legit craziness.  Terrifying.

Edited by HereComesTreble
Words ugh
  • Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

The scary stuff is that even if you tell these people, that is all fake, that is not possible for various reason like there is no basement on the place, or that they cannot run child traffic because x, y, z they will still insist that you are lying or that you genuinely believe the wrong thing because they know! Scary for real 

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 2

From what I can see online they are saying things like the Jeffery Epstein thing was once a conspiracy also and that Biden gave Obama a chain with a pizza on it, and there were lots of weird pizza references in the Hilary emails. 
no chance of where there is smoke there is fire kind of thing? I definitely think something so big is running like that in our world. 
is it another anti Obama thing? 

2 hours ago, HereComesTreble said:

Business Insider article about the Wayfair conspiracy and Wayfair’s response...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.businessinsider.com/wayfair-denies-sex-trafficking-claims-involving-expensive-cabinets-2020-7%3famp

The conspiracy is mind bogglingly stupid and completely baseless.  

It’s scary how the internet gives these beyond-crazy-conspiracy nuts such a loud platform.  It’s truly troubling how they can so easily share & encourage legit craziness.  Terrifying.

That article Reads as creepy. 
I have lots of conspiracy nuts at work. I’m gunna pick their brains. I bet they are all over this. 
It’s extremely triggering. Most probably (for me) because even if this is not real there is millions of sex rings out there that are. 
sick fucks deserve a Bullet to the head and that’s being generous. 

5 hours ago, closetcagebaby said:

Why are people getting death threats, talking about it? Being involved in it? 

• Upvote 1

Just dipping into this thread to say that I'm pretty sure the whole Pizzagate and the rest is classic QAnon.  There are a staggering number of our citizenry who believe in QAnon and it's associated whack-a-doo wing-nuttery.  There are a few people what have managed to get on state ballots who are QAnon.  There are a few who have managed to finagle their way into very high levels of the US government. 

Mike Flynn posted a video of himself, his wife and some friends last week giving the QAnon pledge. 

• Upvote 9

2 hours ago, AussieKrissy said:

From what I can see online they are saying things like the Jeffery Epstein thing was once a conspiracy also and that Biden gave Obama a chain with a pizza on it, and there were lots of weird pizza references in the Hilary emails. 
no chance of where there is smoke there is fire kind of thing? I definitely think something so big is running like that in our world. 
is it another anti Obama thing? 

That article Reads as creepy. 
I have lots of conspiracy nuts at work. I’m gunna pick their brains. I bet they are all over this. 
It’s extremely triggering. Most probably (for me) because even if this is not real there is millions of sex rings out there that are. 
sick fucks deserve a Bullet to the head and that’s being generous. 

From being “implicated” in the conspiracy. Obvious nonsense. 

• Thank You 1

12 hours ago, indianabones said:

I just reread what you wrote and realized that it was very clear, yet I completely misread it. My apologies!

No worries, I am often clear as mud!

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, AussieKrissy said:

I believe it is the rational people getting death threats from crazy conspiracy people.  

The rational people say/post will say things like “that conspiracy seems nuts and improbable.”  The crazy conspiracy people will respond with stuff like “that’s what you want us to think!  You’re in on it! (insert death threat here)!”

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

Okay so I thought the wayfair thing was just another meme or joke until someone on my timeline actually believed it... like I thought it was one of those "omg this is so expensive you could buy a person for less hahahaha" type things. I mean i get that this year has been insane but like... come on people. 

• Upvote 8

Most of the things I saw debunking the Wayfair child trafficking conspiracy theory pointed out things like how the theorists were showing the names of the items and how they were the same as names of missing people. But when you would actually look into those missing people, they’d been missing for a short period several years ago and found again. Some people were never missing at all, but had their images and names shared on presumably doctored missing persons alerts, and had to come out on their own social media to assure people they’re very much not missing. Pretty much clearly, demonstrably false.

I learned all this in ONE Google search. Apparently Kristen isn’t blessed with the same skill set of.... using a keyboard?

• Upvote 11
  • Haha 5

On 7/13/2020 at 6:39 AM, Howl said:

Just dipping into this thread to say that I'm pretty sure the whole Pizzagate and the rest is classic QAnon.  There are a staggering number of our citizenry who believe in QAnon and it's associated whack-a-doo wing-nuttery.  There are a few people what have managed to get on state ballots who are QAnon.  There are a few who have managed to finagle their way into very high levels of the US government. 

Mike Flynn posted a video of himself, his wife and some friends last week giving the QAnon pledge. 

We have one who lives in our neighborhood confirmed. She posted some nutty stuff on our community Facebook page. When all of this Covid stuff started, a neighbor had reached out saying she used to be a nurse and if anyone needed help during this time,  to let her know. People were saying all kinds of nice things and this other woman said something totally wack-a-doodle, everyone was like WTF? And when we were going to have a peaceful protest about George Floyd she said some awful things about them burning down our homes etc.... we had protests that went bad in our city (which is a suburban city, not like a Chicago or NYC), but not in my area. As for the protests, they were peaceful. Many of our neighbors went. I even saw an elderly couple with canes in the pictures. 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Kayleigh83 said:

Most of the things I saw debunking the Wayfair child trafficking conspiracy theory pointed out things like how the theorists were showing the names of the items and how they were the same as names of missing people. But when you would actually look into those missing people, they’d been missing for a short period several years ago and found again. Some people were never missing at all, but had their images and names shared on presumably doctored missing persons alerts, and had to come out on their own social media to assure people they’re very much not missing. Pretty much clearly, demonstrably false.

I learned all this in ONE Google search. Apparently Kristen isn’t blessed with the same skill set of.... using a keyboard?

I think in some way, Kristen doesn’t want to know the truth. Believing that she’s someone who actually sees through conspiracies and knows what’s really going on in the US might give her a sense of power: She’s special, she’s smart, and she cannot be fooled.

When you’re in a restrictive cult, those feelings surely are rare and far between so Kristen jumps on the conspiracy wagon. Also, that’s what some ultra-right Republicans seem to do right now anyways (with Trump being the biggest of all) so unfortunately, she’s not alone. 

• Upvote 12
  • Love 1

Hello fellow FJers:

I'm not trying to derail the pizzagate thread, I promise.

But could ANYONE please post a link here for the (church?) video of Kristen Nicole Young and her husband, where he was looking down at the floor and she was just giving him a cold glare (at least it appeared to be from the thumbnail I saw once) ????

Thanks, folks. And free Chickenetti for everyone tonight, on me!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 4

Screenshot_20200717-034056.png.f88b53626a6973d81628a7218b357079.png

Guess Kristen's never heard of the National Vaccine Injury Compensation Program...

Or maybe she thinks vaccine injuries are equally as contagious as COVID-19?

It's funny- I got my Tdap booster five days ago and my shoulder STILL hurts and has a huge, swollen bump (totally normal for me, it should go away soon.) But despite it being a nuisance I'm still so grateful to have access to vaccines and not be suffering from lockjaw, which was a very likely probability for me given how I have a huge puncture wound in my hand that I'm currently taking 10 pills worth of antibiotics every day for.

I can only pray that if one Kristen's kids has the same thing happen to them, Jesus will tell her that it's okay for them to get a tetanus shot. But I kind of doubt it.

11 hours ago, ChickenettiLuvr said:

Hello fellow FJers:

I'm not trying to derail the pizzagate thread, I promise.

But could ANYONE please post a link here for the (church?) video of Kristen Nicole Young and her husband, where he was looking down at the floor and she was just giving him a cold glare (at least it appeared to be from the thumbnail I saw once) ????

Thanks, folks. And free Chickenetti for everyone tonight, on me!

• Upvote 5
  • WTF 1

I remember a while back I called her out on some wild vaccine conspiracy and she deleted my comment. So basically as long your opinions match hers that really what she is about!

@indianabones hope you feel better! I kept almost passing out after each gardasil shot and it never passed my mind to stop the shots because of that. 

• Upvote 2
  • Love 3

Kristen just posted a series of Instastories comparing public health officials forcibly quarantining people to Nazis, while vehemently denying being a conspiracy theorist (AGAIN.) I'm too emotionally drained to delve into how terrible her messaging is; someone else can take the wheel for me ?.

Spoiler

Screenshot_20200719-224336.png.e6dbe89459eaabf967d74c1b72c08202.pngScreenshot_20200719-224356.png.3bfae3d2d29420268164e96b16aca170.pngScreenshot_20200719-224414.png.6de22cbee04b0f7a7ba97aee4c24990d.pngScreenshot_20200719-224455.png.91ad969de8deb9989522712cdad80c68.pngScreenshot_20200719-224522.png.4cb05849a0a839754dff34d2194de112.png

The two links she posted were to Encyclopaedia Brittanica and Goodreads, btw. Here's the story about the Louisville couple:

Spoiler

LOUISVILLE, Kentucky -- A Kentucky couple is under house arrest after one of them tested positive for coronavirus and refused to sign self-quarantine papers.

Elizabeth Linscott got tested for COVID-19 because she was planning to go visit her parents.

"My grandparents wanted to see me, too, so, just to make sure that, you know, if I tested negative, that they would be okay, everything would be fine," Linscott said.

After testing positive but without showing any symptoms, Linscott told WAVE-TV the health department contacted her, requesting she sign documents.

"I agreed to comply to call the Health Department if I was to go. I was to call the Health Department if I was to leave my house for any reason," she said.

But, she chose not to sign.

"I had gotten a message from them, a text message that stated, because of your refusal to sign, this is going to be escalated, and law enforcement will be involved," she said.

Later that week, the county sheriff greeted Linscott's husband, Isaiah, at their front door.

"I open up the door, and there's like eight different people, five different cars, and I'm like 'what the heck's going on?' This guy's in a suit with a mask. It's the Health Department guy, and they have three papers for us. For me, her and my daughter," he said.

The couple was ordered to wear ankle monitors. If they travel more than 200 feet, law enforcement will be notified.
"We didn't rob a store. We didn't steal something. We didn't hit and run. We didn't do anything wrong," Linscott said.

The couple said they never denied self-quarantining. They just didn't agree with the wording of the documents.

"And, that's exactly what the Director of the Public Health Department told the judge, that I was refusing to self-quarantine because of this, and I'm like, 'that's not the case at all. I never said that,'" she said.

Linscott said even without the ankle monitor, she had planned to be cautious, and if she had needed medical care, she would have let healthcare workers know she was infected with the virus.

• Upvote 3
  • WTF 3

As a History teacher, I have no words for this level of crazy. Kristen to me is wilfully ignorant, stupid and dangerous at the same time.

Poor children.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 5

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic