IGNORED

Kristen Nicole Young

Seculardaisy

On 1/21/2020 at 11:19 AM, Seculardaisy said:

Spoiler

A6393B7D-2633-465D-9AAD-2619CAE6EA5A.thumb.png.1e5876e1ba2134b83d85bb0d426d94c6.png

I’m sure this has been addressed already but I am just so flummoxed... BELLA-FUCKING-DONA??? What the fucking fuck? “Here sweet child, have some DEADLY NIGHTSHADE”

Info from NIH on its actual uses and the need to follow doctor’s orders: https://medlineplus.gov/druginfo/natural/531.html 

Edited by HarryPotterFan
  • Upvote 9
  • Thank You 1

I do think some of this type of stuff is bleeding into mainstream thanks to celebrities being against vaccines or questioning vaccines publicly. Once celebs start doing something, it becomes more mainstream.

But what flabbergasted me was looking through birthkeeper pages. They are the ones who refuse to have any sort of real midwife training but attend homebirths. They push all the woo and are very anti-vax. But you have this weird mix of fundie type Christians and woo loving liberals all together in one group. And I’m like, how do you people not argue all the time? But I guess they only talk about birth and woo. And leave all the other stuff unsaid. 

• Upvote 13

• 2 weeks later...

Bumping this thread with something semi related. Tragically a little boy died from influenza after his mum took advice from an anti-vax FB group.

https://honey.nine.com.au/latest/anti-vaccine-facebook-group-boy-died-mum-refused-medicine/7d5d0c61-3d31-4bab-b919-acd3d85579e4

If it wasn’t for them, this child would still be alive. Isn’t that the definition of manslaughter?

The mother needs to accept responsibility too, imo.

• Upvote 11
  • Disgust 1
  • Sad 1
  • Rufus Bless 3

On 1/26/2020 at 8:50 AM, AreYouThereGothard? said:

Why is it that this population (extra religious, home school, somewhat removed from society) is against vaccines and conventional medicine? My best friend’s mom is a devout Baptist, but also a nurse at the health department, who hauled the kids to the HD to get their vaccines every year (only protesting was from the kids). Best friend has also mentioned that some of the ugliest things her husband has said were about anti-vaxxers (both devout Baptists as well). I wonder where the disconnect is between their religious views regarding vaccines. 

There’s no way for me to put this in understandable terms....*

Modern medicine, especially vaccines, are a way to get people used to the Idea of being injected with things. When the Antichrist rises to power and requires everyone to be marked/microchipped people won’t think twice about it because we’ve been lining up for shots for years. 

See also- pet microchips, gps, the bear finder tags at build a bear.  

*if I looked hard enough I could maybe find written materials with details but I’d rather not. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Confused 4
  • Bless Your Heart 2
  • Rufus Bless 2
  • WTF 12
  • Haha 5
  • I Agree 1

On 1/25/2020 at 5:34 PM, The Mother Dust said:

I really really hate this.  I've been lucky, but my sister has had some shit jobs where that was basically the case.  It's so confusing to me, like....  WHY GIVE THAT BANK OF SICK DAYS IF PEOPLE CANT USE THEM.  Just don't make that # of sick days available then!  /rant

The whole ”sick day” thing is so confusing to me. In Sweden if you’re sick you stay home from work no matter if you’re sick for one day or twenty. If your kid is sick you stay home with them. Even if they were also sick last week (and they probably were, germs love kids).

Quite often when reading here about how things work (or don’t) in other countries I get an intense urge to go out and slap all the people here that take all this for granted, vote for people that want to tear it down and then complain that it’s not working as well. :bangheaddesk:

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 6
  • Love 3

8 minutes ago, Iamtheway said:

The whole ”sick day” thing is so confusing to me. In Sweden if you’re sick you stay home from work no matter if you’re sick for one day or twenty. If your kid is sick you stay home with them. Even if they were also sick last week (and they probably were, germs love kids).

Quite often when reading here about how things work (or don’t) in other countries I get an intense urge to go out and slap all the people here that take all this for granted, vote for people that want to tear it down and then complain that it’s not working as well. :bangheaddesk:

Oh no the US doesn’t do that. People continually vote against their own best interests on a regular basis. 

• Upvote 20
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

10 hours ago, purple_summer said:

Modern medicine, especially vaccines, are a way to get people used to the Idea of being injected with things. When the Antichrist rises to power and requires everyone to be marked/microchipped people won’t think twice about it because we’ve been lining up for shots for years. 

*if I looked hard enough I could maybe find written materials with details but I’d rather not. 

Say what now?

You've been with us awhile now.

I'm not sure how to interpret this remark.

Kidding? True belief?

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 5
  • Thank You 1

17 minutes ago, AliceInFundyland said:

Say what now?

Kidding? True belief?

I think @purple_summer is saying that this is what [some?] antivaxxer fundies believe?

Edited by albireo
  • Upvote 5
  • I Agree 5

11 hours ago, purple_summer said:

Eh, what?  A shot is not inherently good or bad.  It depends on what is being injected.  I guarantee you that antivaxxers are pro-shot when it comes to things that make them feel better.  Somehow you manage to vilify the idea of being stuck with needles for any reason.  I'm so confused.

• Upvote 2

I think I’ve mentioned this here before, but I have an immune disorder and don’t make enough antibodies. I get the flu shot every year, and like clockwork also get the flu. However, the shot means I haven’t died from it yet (it’s the little things!).

So... antivaxxers make me a little stabby. There are a reasonably large number of people who are immune compromised for various reasons, and we’d really appreciate it if they’d stop reading half baked ‘science’ and stop exposing us to things that will kill us against our will.

I am exceedingly lucky to work for a company with great insurance and unlimited sick time.  In fact, when I got the flu this year I left work looking not sick because I felt ‘off’ - my manager asked me to not come back the next day either in case it was something contagious. (Spoiler alert, it was).  I know I’m in a very small minority of job situations, and frankly that’s damn depressing. 

• Upvote 17
  • Love 7

10 hours ago, AliceInFundyland said:

Say what now?

Kidding? True belief?

Not sure of this poster’s personal beliefs but I certainly heard this in my evangelical fundie-lite upbringing. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1

4 hours ago, PurpleCats said:

So... antivaxxers make me a little stabby. There are a reasonably large number of people who are immune compromised for various reasons, and we’d really appreciate it if they’d stop reading half baked ‘science’ and stop exposing us to things that will kill us against our will.

Preach! I ended up taking days off for the flu and yes I had the flu shot. However I am also fortunate that I have reasonably good insurance. 

• Upvote 3

22 hours ago, purple_summer said:

Replace the Antichrist with "totalitarian government" and this is definitely what some libertarians believe as well. 

Thankfully there's a pretty good number of atheist libertarians who are ardently pro-science and well-funded (something to be thankful to the Koch brothers for) and vocally shut this shit down whenever they can.

Anyway, I have another theory about the popularity of anti-vax with mainstream moms: feeling smart. 

To be painfully blunt, most anti-vaxxers I know are middle-aged women with few accomplishments or outlets of their own. Getting to believe they are smarter than others (even those pesky doctors!) by following/specializing in "alternative medicine" is a way to soothe their egos as the sexual currency they once relied on depreciates. I think for most these women at least, being anti-vax is more akin to following an MLM than it is to following an ideology.     

• Upvote 20
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

I really like hearing about other countries practices with sick leave, vacation time, etc. It makes me kind of rage-y but it also makes me hopeful that things can get better!

Last year I was sick a combined total of 4 different times between August and end of December. Not joking. The first time I powered through and didnt take time off work. The second time, in October, I took off almost an entire week. I think I worked 4 hours that week.

The third time I took off two days. And the fourth it was 3 days that I took off. So... add that up and we have 2 weeks off for illness. I also took one Friday off over the summer for illness. And then I went on a week long vacation right after graduation in May. So, 3 weeks and 1 day total off of work. The company I was working for didnt have a max # of days you could take off. You had a set # of paid vacation days each year, but you could take unpaid leave as well. I recently started working at a new company that is completely salaried and you cant take unpaid vacation unless its a very very specific circumstance. I have 2 weeks of paid leave for this year. I keep wondering what will happen if I get sick as many times as I did last year. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 2
  • Love 2

Get your flu shots, folks! I got mine last year, and still wound up with another strain of it, but it made it much milder than it would have been. Even though I still got the flu, the shot was so worth it. I work from home now so I'm not around many people, and I still get my flu shot. While you are at it, make sure your Tdap is up to date too (for tetanus, diphtheria, and pertussis (whooping cough)). You need that one every ten years. My doctor had me get my Tdap a little earlier than normal last year as I was around an infant at the time. I had the meningitis vaccine before college, and was glad to have it. I wish there were vaccines for even more viruses. Sign me up for all the vaccines, please!  

• Upvote 15

The last time I saw my doctor, I mentioned that I needed the flu shot because my daughter is due again in March, and has decreed no one comes near her toddler and the new baby without their flu shot.  While I was getting that one, the nurse asked me when I got my last tetanus shot, and I realized it had been well over ten years, so I got that one as well.  I think the next time I go in I'll ask if I should have anything else or if I'm ready for the shingles vaccine yet.

• Upvote 9

On 2/7/2020 at 7:56 AM, adidas said:

Bumping this thread with something semi related. Tragically a little boy died from influenza after his mum took advice from an anti-vax FB group.

https://honey.nine.com.au/latest/anti-vaccine-facebook-group-boy-died-mum-refused-medicine/7d5d0c61-3d31-4bab-b919-acd3d85579e4

If it wasn’t for them, this child would still be alive. Isn’t that the definition of manslaughter?

The mother needs to accept responsibility too, imo.

I believe such stories can make a bigger difference to some than actual scientific debate and proven facts. Sure, some people (fundy and non-fundy alike) throw reason out the window completely and don’t even question their decisions when confronted with possibly harrowing consequences of not vaccinating. But at least some (not all unfortunately!) might initially buy into the crazy anti-vax ideology but then change their minds later on. That’s my guess at least because I’ve witnessed similar developments when it comes to social or political issues. Some people might hold certain ideological beliefs that they come to change - at least slightly - when not hearing about an issue in general terms but in connection to stories of individuals. 

My thoughts on Kristen’s recent Insta posts: she seems to try and find meaning in every little detail of her life. I can understand her to a certain degree. Being spiritual and incorporating one’s faith into everyday life can feel good. But she goes over the top IMO. Every bracelet, every book, every picture needs a godly meaning... it’s as if she’s desperate to fill some void. And I’m honestly afraid that’s exactly what’s happening here. She tries hard to be a good fundy wife and mother but on an emotional and psychological level, something doesn’t seem right. Don’t get me wrong, guys, I’m not diagnosing her. I don’t even necessarily think she has anything that could be diagnosed. But she always seemed... under pressure, maybe? Trying so so hard to be someone she might not actually fully be. I’m not sure how to word it, it’s just a feeling I get when I read her posts. 

• Upvote 7

Waiting to hear from the doctor's office right now if my 18 year old has it or not. She is miserably sick. My husband is on enbrel which makes him immune compromised. He left this morning for a business trip. I am so worried he will get sick while he's away. At least he drove so he can avoid flying if he has to come back home. I obsessively sprayed down the bathroom every time she was in it yesterday. We all got the shot. The doctor said this morning that on Friday she diagnosed 10 cases. Come on, springtime!

• Love 7

On 2/7/2020 at 11:17 PM, AliceInFundyland said:

Say what now?

Kidding? True belief?

On 2/7/2020 at 11:35 PM, albireo said:

I think @purple_summer is saying that this is what [some?] antivaxxer fundies believe?

Yes! Sorry if this wasn’t clear. This is what I heard growing up although my parents had me fully vaccinated. Funnily enough everyone else on the compound got really bad colds at once and I didn’t...

But yeah, please vaccinate your kids. 

• Upvote 19

Right before we moved*, I'd met a mother in my neighborhood who was super nice and had an adorable child that played well with mine. We didn't make it through a full play date until she launched in on her anti vax stuff and I was just so disappointed. Like really? Anyway she was telling me about giving her son colloidal silver and telling me I should try it for something, idr what. She mentioned some people think it's harmful but she didn't agree. I spent the rest of our short friendship trying to avoid any and every topic that would get her started down that natural remedy/anti vax road. It was again so disappointing because it's SO hard to make mom friends when they're little like this and she was a neighbor to boot. Oh well. 

*To be clear, I didn't dump her or anything, we moved states so our friendship just kind of fizzled before it could even really begin. I don't know how it would have held up over time though with the anti vax madness. If she'd started to act like my children were dangerous to hers because they were "shedding" or something, I probably wouldn't have been kind. 

• Upvote 7

46 minutes ago, purple_summer said:

Yes! Sorry if this wasn’t clear. This is what I heard growing up although my parents had me fully vaccinated. Funnily enough everyone else on the compound got really bad colds at once and I didn’t...

But yeah, please vaccinate your kids. 

Rufus bless (in the good way ?❤️)

I thought so. But even long-term members can surprise us. Never hurts to ask for clarification. Thank you for not being offended.

• Upvote 6
  • Rufus Bless 2

14 hours ago, AliceInFundyland said:

Rufus bless (in the good way ?❤️)

I thought so. But even long-term members can surprise us. Never hurts to ask for clarification. Thank you for not being offended.

I honestly forget who knows my background and who doesn’t, and I’m not always the best at distinguishing between then and now in posts lol. 

I did get a laugh out of the downvote though??

• Upvote 6
  • Love 1

On 1/22/2020 at 12:10 AM, Melissa1977 said:

I see US parents much more worried about flu than Spanish ones and I wonder if the flu virus is harder in US. I know several people who work hospitals and doctor offices and they aren't specially worried about the flu (they are worried because flu means being 1 week ill, but there's not a deep fear for their kids  

It’s not just the flu. I’ve noticed that the chicken pox vaccine seems much more prevalent in the US as well (where it’s on the schedule) than, say, in the UK (where the NHS won’t pay for it). And also the HPV vaccine for boys. 

But on the flip side, the UK vaccinates small children for meningitis whereas in the US that’s usually just something you get when you go to college. 

• Upvote 4

I’m home with the flu right now (after getting my vaccine). Bc I have a limited number of days I can take off for illness or otherwise, I may have to cancel a trip I have planned in June if I get sick again. This seems completely unjust to me. I’m immune compromised so I get sick more often, and I work in a hospital where I would be putting sick patients at risk by coming to work with a contagious virus. But losing vacation for being sick makes me think twice about staying home which is not okay. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 11

On 1/21/2020 at 6:44 PM, EyesOpen said:

Well I’m very embarrassed. I didn’t know elderberry could flare up asthma. We ARE vaccinated, but my mother in law got us these elderberry gummies to go with the kids vitamins for ‘cold season’ and I didn’t think anything of it basically thinking it’s probably a placebo... but they taste good and make her happy that I’m using them... well my son does have mild asthma and he’s having his worst winter in years with it. I’m so embarrassed. I didn’t even think to read up on them. Thank you for the info:(

Just a small correction, from what I read elderberry can make the asthma medicine less effective. It didn't say it could cause a flare up. 

Here are the possible interactions:

Possible Interactions

If you are being treated with any of the following medications, you should talk to your health care provider before taking elderberry:

Diuretics (water pills). Diuretics help the body get rid of excess fluid and increase the amount of urine your body makes. Elderberry may also act as a diuretic, so taking it along with a diuretic could make that drug stronger and raise your risk of dehydration. Diuretics include:

Hydrochlorothiazide

Bumetanide (Burinex)

Furosemide (Lasix)

Amiloride (Midamor)

Metolazone (Zaroxolyn)

Diabetes medications. Elderberry may lower blood sugar levels. If you are also taking drugs for diabetes, taking elderberry may increase your risk of developing hypoglycemia, or low blood sugar.

Chemotherapy. Elderberry may interact with some chemotherapy drugs. If you are undergoing chemotherapy, ask your oncologist before taking any herb or supplement.

Laxatives. Elderberry may act like a laxative and should not be taken at the same time as other laxatives.

Theophylline (TheoDur). Elderberry may reduce levels of theophylline, a drug taken for asthma and other respiratory conditions. That could make the drug not work as well.

Drugs that suppress the immune system. Because elderberry may stimulate the immune system, it could interfere with medications taken to suppress the immune system. These medications include corticosteroids (prednisone) and medications used to treat autoimmune diseases. People with organ transplants should also avoid elderberry.

• Upvote 2

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic