IGNORED

Maxwell 35: Choosing The Right Vest For an Extended Family Member

Coconut Flan

1 hour ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

Except the doctors she works with have not seen biopsy results and imaging.  And we have very little real info.

Exactly and she was very careful to speak in general terms - only in reference to her experience. I did not mean to imply that she thought she knew better or that she might undermine any physicians’ expertise. 

if anybody was doing any speculating in the conversation, it was I. 

• Upvote 5

10 hours ago, nausicaa said:

Yes, it looks like they're taking the doctors and their recommendations seriously. Long may the non-batshit, common sense engineer side of Steve Maxwell reign. 

Insecurity mixed with arrogance. I have a whole, bitchy theory about the types of women who go for this at a particular point in their lives. 

I don't understand the lack of critical reasoning though. A former coworker came in once enthused about some documentary he'd seen about this cancer center in Mexico and how the guy there can cure all forms of cancer with coffee enemas and argues the human body is designed to be immortal. A quick Google search showed the "documentary" was funded by the dubious cancer center and plenty of people had died down there. Co-worker didn't seem to have an answer for why there weren't a bunch of immortal 100 year olds wandering around Mexico if this worked so well.

Remember when Michael Landon was fighting his cancer with the same type of enemas?  He was on Johnny Carson’s show and invited Johnny to come over for coffee.  The look on johnnys face was priceless.

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 4

11 hours ago, fundiefan said:

Oh sweet baby jebus. I have a woo friend. She's a "Reiki Master" - yes, that's the "title" she uses to describe herself. 

No vaccines, no milk/dairy, every.thing.in.the.world is cured with the right food, no mammograms - only thermography, no antibiotics, no chemo or radiation. Only diet. And Reiki. And Meditation. 

What the hell makes people so batshit? 

Okay but dairy does cause a lot of problems and there is no scientifuc reason we *need* the breastmilk of another mammal. That isn't batshit. It's pretty logical. Our country is very very sick and very very bad at healthcare. We obviously need to take nutrition into account. Desperately.

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 1

@louannems,  my grandson is on the autism spectrum and unfortunately has him on a gluten-free diet.    There have been good studies about whether a gluten-free diet helps those individuals with autism and the answer is NO. it's not so much that a gluten-free diet diet is terrible for him, it's just unnecessary .  That gluten-free crap also exposes my daughter to a bunch of woo bullshit.

• Upvote 9
  • Rufus Bless 2
  • Love 1

On 2/17/2020 at 2:14 PM, freejugar said:

This is part 6 and part 5 was  March 4, 2019. A year ago. WTF.

It took Teri a month to sew a button back on and it took Sarah a year to write that blog post. Masters schedulers! So productive!

What just occurred to me is this: We mere pseudo-Christians and heathens can’t understand that taking a month to do a 5-minute job, or a year to finish up a simple essay, is all part of their brilliant plan to be as lazy and self-indulgent as possible. 

Think about it: it takes them forever to work out the scheduling when all can get together. Meanwhile, they have no party to plan, no decor to hang, no groceries to buy nor special dishes to prepare. 

Later, rinse, repeat. Ad infinitum!

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2

1 hour ago, MamaJunebug said:

What just occurred to me is this: We mere pseudo-Christians and heathens can’t understand that taking a month to do a 5-minute job, or a year to finish up a simple essay, is all part of their brilliant plan to be as lazy and self-indulgent as possible. 

Think about it: it takes them forever to work out the scheduling when all can get together. Meanwhile, they have no party to plan, no decor to hang, no groceries to buy nor special dishes to prepare. 

Later, rinse, repeat. Ad infinitum!

Back in the day, Teri organised lots of conferences, wrote several books and homeschooled children (yes, she just gave them workbooks, but there was some work for her to correct, etc). 

I think all her energy has just gone. Maybe because her health, her age or a little depression comeback. But she was far more productive.

I feel that Sarah is the extension of her mother. Sarah too had a huge load of work years ago. She was a maid and a nanny while mom was deeply depressed. She was forced to write books (not her real hobbie). And lived between the obligation of marriage and the fear of doing it, with entitled parents that rejected any suitor. She was teached her only success was becoming a mother, but she was somehow banned from it.

I understand why Teri and Sarah are soooo slow nowadays. No ambition is possible. No joy is possible. Teri could have been a chemist, have a fulfilling job and just a couple of those kids she doesn't like at all, not 8! Sarah could have had an ordinary life, maybe nothing special but 1000 times better than the life she has know. Teri knows. And maybe Sarah knows, or suspects, too.

• Upvote 15
  • Sad 4
  • I Agree 3

My mother is living proof that you can be totally into the woo and also be a perfectly normal (well I think she’s extraordinary but she’s my mother) human being. Her house looks like a crystal store. She uses different ‘crystals’ (I annoy her when I call them rocks) for different problems. She is a reiki master, meditates at least twice a day, does tong-ren and energy healing, astrology and sacred circles and supplements and moon rituals and just about every other brand of woo you can think of, except the diet stuff. Yet she also happily gets every vaccine available, (she calls the MMR the ‘baby shot’ because it protects her grandchildren) goes to the doctor regularly and follows their instructions, is up to date on world news, and will explain in great detail why vaccines don’t cause autism, as I (her autistic daughter) was autistic since birth,  and she knew something was up from the start.

I honestly think that a lot of it is due to the fact that my mom is very, very susceptible to the placebo effect, and she freely admits that this is likely the case. But she enjoys the woo, has the money to do it, and it’s her hobby, like showing dogs or quilting or whatever for other retired people. As long as you’re not harming yourself or others woo away. Just don’t mind if I snark on you behind your back.

• Upvote 26

10 hours ago, Eternalbluepearl said:

Okay but dairy does cause a lot of problems and there is no scientifuc reason we *need* the breastmilk of another mammal. That isn't batshit. It's pretty logical. Our country is very very sick and very very bad at healthcare. We obviously need to take nutrition into account. Desperately.

And, as is my normal statement on the matter, I am a dairy consumer. I drink milk regularly. I see & feel benefits from it. I won't even pretend to speak for others, and that is my issue with the woo. Sure, some people have issues with milk/dairy/gluten/wheat/whatever, but not everyone. 

I do agree our country is very bad at health care. I am trapped in the US healthcare hell right now as I wait for surgery in a couple of weeks. It's absurd, ridiculous, operates on guidelines with no personal care and is, all around, a miserable failure. 

Which is why I don't go for everything the US medical system says anymore than I go for what someone into the woo says. 

Nothing, absolutely nothing, regarding the human body is one size fits all and cannot be stuffed into any box. 

• Upvote 15

1 hour ago, anachronistic said:

I honestly think that a lot of it is due to the fact that my mom is very, very susceptible to the placebo effect, and she freely admits that this is likely the case.

I am too, and consider it a great thing.  I don't like taking medication unless necessary and I swear I've gotten relief from back pain watching chiro vids on youtube.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to work it for medication I actually need - but it does come in handy a lot.

• Upvote 7

Benji's birthday is today.  I think Lizzie's is coming up.  Kyle's is on March 1 I think.  We should be seeing Caleb's newborn pics.  Poor guy has been lost in the shuffle.

• Upvote 5

On 2/21/2020 at 9:19 AM, anachronistic said:

My mother is living proof that you can be totally into the woo and also be a perfectly normal (well I think she’s extraordinary but she’s my mother) human being. Her house looks like a crystal store. She uses different ‘crystals’ (I annoy her when I call them rocks) for different problems. She is a reiki master, meditates at least twice a day, does tong-ren and energy healing, astrology and sacred circles and supplements and moon rituals and just about every other brand of woo you can think of, except the diet stuff. Yet she also happily gets every vaccine available, (she calls the MMR the ‘baby shot’ because it protects her grandchildren) goes to the doctor regularly and follows their instructions, is up to date on world news, and will explain in great detail why vaccines don’t cause autism, as I (her autistic daughter) was autistic since birth,  and she knew something was up from the start.

I honestly think that a lot of it is due to the fact that my mom is very, very susceptible to the placebo effect, and she freely admits that this is likely the case. But she enjoys the woo, has the money to do it, and it’s her hobby, like showing dogs or quilting or whatever for other retired people. As long as you’re not harming yourself or others woo away. Just don’t mind if I snark on you behind your back.

This reminds me of my friend’s mom. She loves crystals, does yoga and meditation throughout the week, and gets reiki done on her back once a month between PT sessions for a back issue. She also is extremely well educated, takes every doctor recommendation to heart for the various health issues she has had for years, and is happy to school anyone who thinks she is just another woo girl who doesn’t trust doctors and just goes along with whatever she reads on the internet. She just happens to really think reiki and crystals bring extra healing and peace to her life. I know another woman who I went to college with who is 100% the type that has always been gorgeous, thinks she knows more than doctors, has not yet “found herself” in life and jumps from job to job because nothing fulfills her. Well, lately she’s gotten into yoga and had fully bought into the woo about crystals, chakras, essential oils, and now she’s announced that she’s discovered that her dream is to be a reiki master and will be training to be one starting next month. She makes me roll my eyes so hard. 

• Upvote 4

Genuinely happy children are always a delight. When they are fundy children who are seemingly being treated well, it's all the better.

That picture of Gideon (and Austin fwiw) with the new dog has brought me joy all week. I wish Joy had been in the photo too because I think she would've been equally thrilled. They had a painful year.

I'm really happy to see undiluted pleasure coming not from staged relationship photos or posed outings. Authenticity is so rare with any fundies. And these two haven't ever been the best at it anyway.

Similarly, the picture when Jill cut her hair. I think she's had a revelatory year.

• Upvote 6

Blurry though it is, that last picture makes it look like they were in NY or NJ for the surgery. Can’t pinpoint where they took the photo but it sure looks like the Statue of Liberty in the background. That would be an awfully long way to travel for treatment but kudos to them if they didn’t hesitate to seek out the best options.

Here’s hoping the pathology report isn’t as dire as it first seemed it would be.

• Upvote 10

3 hours ago, sparkles said:

Blurry though it is, that last picture makes it look like they were in NY or NJ for the surgery. Can’t pinpoint where they took the photo but it sure looks like the Statue of Liberty in the background. That would be an awfully long way to travel for treatment but kudos to them if they didn’t hesitate to seek out the best options.

Here’s hoping the pathology report isn’t as dire as it first seemed it would be.

That's the Statue of Liberty.  It looks like they are standing on the New York side.  However, that other picture where she was on the beach was not a Long Island Sound beach.  That was probably a New Jersey beach.  It's just a hop skip and a jump so not far at all if they wanted to do some sightseeing or she wanted to be at the ocean.   Not to mention that if they don't have much money, it's cheaper to stay in New Jersey than it is to stay in New York.  

Edited by theologygeek
  • Upvote 4

I put prayer in the same category. As an addition to other modalities, great, but as a pure stand alone as a replacement true medical treatment, nope. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2

19 hours ago, theologygeek said:

That's the Statue of Liberty.  It looks like they are standing on the New York side.  However, that other picture where she was on the beach was not a Long Island Sound beach.  That was probably a New Jersey beach.  It's just a hop skip and a jump so not far at all if they wanted to do some sightseeing or she wanted to be at the ocean.   Not to mention that if they don't have much money, it's cheaper to stay in New Jersey than it is to stay in New York.  

I wonder where she was treated. Certainly no shortage of hospitals. You can’t throw a rock on the Upper East Side without hitting a dozen of them.

• Upvote 3

New York would make sense, one of the main centres for trialing laser ablation for small breast cancers is New York Presbyterian/Columbia University Irving Medical Center.  Dr Margaret Chen is (or certainly was) the Director of clinical operations for their breast cancer program and she's a supporter of laser treatment.

• Upvote 6

There's also Memorial Sloan Kettering in New Jersey, I believe it's meant to be a great facility for cancer treatments. Not quite as close to NYC, but if you were to be in the NJ Metro Area, it's not that far away.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, front hugs > duggs said:

There's also Memorial Sloan Kettering in New Jersey, I believe it's meant to be a great facility for cancer treatments. Not quite as close to NYC, but if you were to be in the NJ Metro Area, it's not that far away.

It’s a great place. It’s a satellite hospital to the big one in NYC. My client’s husband was treated their. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, sparkles said:

I wonder where she was treated. Certainly no shortage of hospitals. You can’t throw a rock on the Upper East Side without hitting a dozen of them.

I was looking around.  I bet she went here.  https://laserbreastcancersurgery.com  which is in or near Long Island.  But I've never seen a Long Island Sound beach look like that, and I've been living around Long Island Sound beaches all my life.  The cleanest one I've ever seen was Rocky Neck in CT  

• Upvote 2

• Coconut Flan locked this topic