IGNORED

Lisa Metzger: Homeschooling on Bed Rest with Your 14th Child

JermajestyDuggar

15 minutes ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

I had no idea you could get it more than once.. Measles yes, Chicken pox, not a clue. 

While you're at it FJ-ers, get the Whooping Cough vaccine (pertussis) even if you had it as a child.  It wears off.  Something that medicine figured out 12 or so years ago during the last Whooping Cough "epidemic" when previously vaccinated adults caught it.

I caught it from my boss who coughed all over the office for weeks and never told any of us what he had.  After I started coughing with what I though was a chest cold that wouldn't leave, the doctor told me I had whopping cough.  When I protested I'd been vaccinated  she said, well we've recently found it wears off.  Got the shot after I was better.  

I happily got my TDAP shot while pregnant. I wanted to make sure I wouldn’t catch whooping cough while pregnant or right after I had a baby. Doctors recommend it now and I trust my doctor. It would suck to never trust doctors. There are so many reasons I’m glad I’m not a fundie. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 6

1 hour ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

While you're at it FJ-ers, get the Whooping Cough vaccine (pertussis) even if you had it as a child.  It wears off.  Something that medicine figured out 12 or so years ago during the last Whooping Cough "epidemic" when previously vaccinated adults caught it.

I went and got the TDaP booster last week after telling my doc that I'd been vaccinated in the dark ages and we had a new baby (grandchild) coming this year. She was all in favor of a booster. I'm going back for an MMR and shingles. Want to keep my babies safe. 

• Upvote 4
  • Love 4

I had chicken pox twice.  Once in kindergarten when mom said I had about 6 spots and again in 6th grade with a full blown case.

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

I caught it from my boss who coughed all over the office for weeks and never told any of us what he had.  After I started coughing with what I though was a chest cold that wouldn't leave, the doctor told me I had whopping cough.

Haha, whopping cough is a great name for it, even if it was a typo! My middle daughter was diagnosed with it when she was early-teens, despite having been vaccinated (although I was mostly anti-vax when my kids were young, I insisted on TDaP - long story, and I’m now firmly pro-vax). Thanks to being vaccinated, she didn’t have a really horrible case, but it was definitely no fun: constant, persistent cough that didn’t respond to any Rx medication.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I happily got my TDAP shot while pregnant. I wanted to make sure I wouldn’t catch whooping cough while pregnant or right after I had a baby. Doctors recommend it now and I trust my doctor. It would suck to never trust doctors. There are so many reasons I’m glad I’m not a fundie. 

While I was pregnant with my youngest, the recommendation was still to get TDaP boosters after delivery, not while pregnant.  I got my booster when youngest was about twenty-four hours old.  About three months after her birth, they changed the recommendation to "get the thing while pregnant, pretty please!"  

About two years later, somehow, our entire household got whooping cough.  The one who ended up in the hospital was the one who let his booster lapse (Mr. Oy).  He survived that episode but only with IV cipro (whooping cough plus secondary bacterial infections that settled in his kidneys).  The rest of us had a moderately annoying cough that sort of sounded like whooping cough but not exactly for a week or ten days and were able to get on with our lives.

Edited by OyHiOh
Missing info
  • Upvote 2
  • Love 2

I was in the ER last year for a minor injury. Never crossed my mind to decline the tetanus vaccine. I can’t imagine how frustrating it would’ve been for the ER nurse & doctor if I questioned it! Plus it would’ve wasted their time because I’m sure they would’ve tried to convince me to get it! 

• Upvote 6

I just got my 2nd shingles shot last week so I'm good to go.  I jumped right on it when my local Safeway had signs up that they had Shingrix in stock back in October. 

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1

I had chicken pox when I was two. The chicken pox vaccine is not part of the standard vaccine schedule here in the UK. The reasoning given on the NHS website is a little odd, given the fact that it’s been part of the US schedule for ages. (Apparently, the reasoning is that unvaccinated kids risk getting chickenpox as adults when it’s more serious (even though there’s such a thing as herd immunity :pb_rollseyes:), and adults would also be more prone to shingles. Yet there’s a shingles vaccine too, so that particular reason is rather dumb). 
I would probably get it for my kids though (when I have them) as my dad is immunosuppressed and I don’t want to risk anything. 

• Upvote 3

I should look into getting a shingles shot. I had chickenpox when I was about one, and my elder brother and sister got it at the same time AND my dad (who had the worst case). Poor mum was looking after us all. My dad got shingles a couple of years ago and was miserable. I also had two friends who had it, both in their 30s. One was misdiagnosed at first... as syphillis. I don’t need to tell you where her shingles outbreak was, and the hella pain she would have been in.

• Upvote 6

8 hours ago, Giraffe said:

I was in the ER last year for a minor injury. Never crossed my mind to decline the tetanus vaccine. I can’t imagine how frustrating it would’ve been for the ER nurse & doctor if I questioned it! Plus it would’ve wasted their time because I’m sure they would’ve tried to convince me to get it! 

Fundies are often unsupervised and sometimes live on farms with lots of places to cut themselves. I can’t imagine a fundie going to the doctor to get some stitches and walking out without a tetanus shot. It’s just so stupid. Why risk tetanus? 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 7

I stepped on a nail a few years ago, went right through my shoe, and had to get a tetanus shot. It was the most painful shot I’ve ever had and I hated it, but tetanus is worse, by far. Although in recent years I’ve been getting my flu shot in my buttocks and this cuts down on the pain considerably; I wonder if that would work with tetanus?

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Giraffe said:

I have a friend that is allergic to one or more ingredients in the tetanus shot! I hope he never steps on a nail or gets a deep laceration. 

1 hour ago, anachronistic said:

I stepped on a nail a few years ago, went right through my shoe, and had to get a tetanus shot. It was the most painful shot I’ve ever had and I hated it, but tetanus is worse, by far. Although in recent years I’ve been getting my flu shot in my buttocks and this cuts down on the pain considerably; I wonder if that would work with tetanus?

Last I knew, yes, you can get it in the bum. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, quiversR4hunting said:

I have a friend that is allergic to one or more ingredients in the tetanus shot! I hope he never steps on a nail or gets a deep laceration. 

How terrifying!

• I Agree 4

12 hours ago, Giraffe said:

We had an unvaccinated kid here in Oregon develop a case of pediatric tetanus, and his treatment only cost about a million dollars (not including the life flight and the rehab after the hospital). He had to receive an emergency dose of the DTaP vaccine and the doctors talked about how horrific it was to see him suffering from painful muscle spasms for weeks. He had to be sedated in a dark room with a respirator and ear plugs since any movement or stimulus would trigger more spasms. After he made a somewhat miraculous recovery, his parents (of course) declined to give him the second vaccine, or vaccinate any of their other children against tetanus. 

• Angry 4
  • Sad 8
  • WTF 14

7 minutes ago, milkteeth said:

We had an unvaccinated kid here in Oregon develop a case of pediatric tetanus, and his treatment only cost about a million dollars (not including the life flight and the rehab after the hospital). He had to receive an emergency dose of the DTaP vaccine and the doctors talked about how horrific it was to see him suffering from painful muscle spasms for weeks. He had to be sedated in a dark room with a respirator and ear plugs since any movement or stimulus would trigger more spasms. After he made a somewhat miraculous recovery, his parents (of course) declined to give him the second vaccine, or vaccinate any of their other children against tetanus. 

WTF?!!! I hope that kid grows up and vaccinates the hell out of his own kids! Imo, that’s abuse!!

eta: omg, how do you as a “parent” see your kid go through that and STILL refuse to vaccinate?!!!!!!!!! 

Edited by Giraffe
Pissed off. More to say.
  • Upvote 5
  • I Agree 6

3 hours ago, anachronistic said:

I spoke to a pharmacist about the tetanus shot and how much it hurts (he was giving me my flu shot) and he said the reason it hurts so much is the viscosity of it. He says he gives himself his tetanus shot right before going home from work, then when he gets home he soaks in a hot bath and then keeps hot compresses on the arm the rest of the night (rubbing where the shot was given, occasionally) and the next morning he can barely tell he had the shot. I've not tried this myself, for the record.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 3

I guess Lisa suddenly doesn’t need to be on bedrest when she wants to hold up bloody graphic signs and yell at people. But when her kids need to be homeschooled, Fed, or cared for, she’s on bedrest. Sorry kids! Your mom sucks.

F8F59C5B-A734-4F30-8A5D-D356045E020F.jpeg

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

57 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I guess Lisa suddenly doesn’t need to be on bedrest when she wants to hold up bloody graphic signs and yell at people. But when her kids need to be homeschooled, Fed, or cared for, she’s on bedrest. Sorry kids! Your mom sucks.

F8F59C5B-A734-4F30-8A5D-D356045E020F.jpeg

Oh Lord. She's local to me, and we have two common friends. One is someone who is nice but not-too-bright who at one point got sucked into the Christian homeschooling clique. That lasted about a year. Then her husband divorced her, the one daughter went with dad and started getting piercings and stretching her ears (and now as a young adult doesn't seem to speak to her mom much), and the other stayed but they both ditched the long denim skirts and the complaints about "lack of modesty" in our (relatively progressive for Baptists) church. 

The other Is a working mom of two, a public school teacher, I think! I'd have expected better from her.

Somehow I missed the Charlotte Women's March was going on. Next year I'll make myself a pussyhat, grab my coworker and her girlfriend and anybody else who wants to come, and make some signs to carry.

• Upvote 5
  • Love 5

Whoopping cough is a real bitch, but esp to babies younger than 6 months. They can't cough at that age, they stop breathing. I don't remember where I read it, I think one of the professional journals at work, that a significant number of SIDS cases in babies younger than 6 months where undetected whopping cough infections :( . And by googleing around to find the article, I found another artice who mentioned a study done in Britain, where 1 in 4 babies with  a respiratory infection, who suffered an apnea or had bradycardia had an undetected whooping cough. And roughly half the sides on the first page of google where antivaxx, of course.

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 4

I’m not surprised it can go undetected. I had to badger my daughter’s doctor to test her for it, after her having that miserable cough for a couple of weeks. I guess they assumed since she had the vax, it couldn’t be whooping cough. Frustrating, because she was, of course, contagious for who knows how long while it went undiagnosed, and could easily have been spreading it.

• Upvote 5

10 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Fundies are often unsupervised and sometimes live on farms with lots of places to cut themselves. I can’t imagine a fundie going to the doctor to get some stitches and walking out without a tetanus shot. It’s just so stupid. Why risk tetanus? 

Anyone read Educated by Tara Westover? Her family sustained an alarming number of serious injuries over the years, and the mom would just patch them up herself.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 1

13 minutes ago, JMarie said:

Anyone read Educated by Tara Westover? Her family sustained an alarming number of serious injuries over the years, and the mom would just patch them up herself.

I have a feeling the Nogs are the same way. But Nicole knows not to mention any injuries online. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 3

37 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I have a feeling the Nogs are the same way. But Nicole knows not to mention any injuries online. 

She has but not any more. She showed a gash on a head and hand (?) Burns on another kid and all the kids sick around a bon fire after eating bad food.

6 hours ago, Alisamer said:

I spoke to a pharmacist about the tetanus shot and how much it hurts (he was giving me my flu shot) and he said the reason it hurts so much is the viscosity of it. He says he gives himself his tetanus shot right before going home from work, then when he gets home he soaks in a hot bath and then keeps hot compresses on the arm the rest of the night (rubbing where the shot was given, occasionally) and the next morning he can barely tell he had the shot. I've not tried this myself, for the record.

I'm allergic to the sun. Yup, it is awful as it sounds. My allergist and I tried Xolair, one shot in each arm every month. Some people get woozy about shots so I put it under the spoiler.

Spoiler

The serum is so thick I could sometimes feel it go in and the nurse would have the pattern on the needle plunger on her thumb because she had to push so hard. Remember,  once a month in both arms. 

The drug has a major potential side effect, anaphylaxis. I had to carry an epidural pen for 24 hours after the shot. I'm actually bummed the drug didn't work, because it stinks being fully covered in the summer heat and humidity!

More about the drug https://www.xolair.com/

• Sad 7

8 hours ago, Alisamer said:

I remember the last time I received a tetanus shot .  I had gone to the hospital , because a tick had bitten me in the back a week or so before , and a rash had developed around the bite radius .  Fortunately my mother had allowed me to get it , eventhough I think as a general rule she's against vaccines . The nurse who administered it told me afterwards to periodically swing my arm in a circular motion , in order to prevent stiffness of the muscle . 

17 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I guess Lisa suddenly doesn’t need to be on bedrest when she wants to hold up bloody graphic signs and yell at people.

So she's so "pro-Life" she'll risk her unborn baby to prove it. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 4