IGNORED

Lisa Metzger: Homeschooling on Bed Rest with Your 14th Child

JermajestyDuggar

17 minutes ago, anjulibai said:

Wow, that post is dripping with unintended irony.

Now, who is Mrs. Kravitz?

Mrs. Kravitz was the nosy neighbor on Bewitched. She was always snooping on Tabitha and Darren. If she saw anything strange going on (magic stuff) she would tell her husband Abner but no one ever believed her. 

Lisa is such a Mrs Kravitz because she’s always sticking her nose in everyone’s uterus. 

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 4
  • I Agree 5
  • Thank You 3

I can't believe anyone could actually write how she is amazed at how people butt into other people's business about family planning or their choice to be a mother, while simultaneously spending a very large amount of time and energy butting into other people's business about family planning and their choice to be (or not be) a mother. 

Also, what is a "good christian" like her doing using a reference like Mrs. Kravitz? I mean, sure Bewitched is set in a time they often seem to idolize, but so many fundies seem to think Harry Potter is of the devil that I can't imagine Bewitched goes completely without any "*gasp!* Witchcraft!!!!" pearl clutching.

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 4

I’ve actually read that some 60s fundie kids weren’t allowed to watch Bewitched because witchcraft.

• I Agree 3
  • Thank You 1

This 1980s fundie-lite kid wasn't allowed to watch Bewitched on Nick at Nite or read teen books with ouija boards in them because witchcraft. My favorite was Get Smart, anyway.

• Upvote 2

Blood transfusions: Mr. Xtian had transfusions when he had his pancreatic surgery and of course, when he was fighting cancer. The medical staff asks a variety of questions before they even order the blood, like "do you have a problem not knowing the race/ethnicity/sex of the donors?" and "do you have any objections to blood transfusions". They asked both of us. I was like "oh hell no, top off the tank" and Mr. Xtian was the same way. 

BFD about the whole DNA thing. Pink and alive beats pale and dying. 

This is a topic that makes me stabby...vaccinations and blood transfusions...and proper medical care. Got my boosters the other day to protect the baby that's coming later this summer. 

For the love of God, get the shots, accept the transfusions, take the pills, whatever it takes. 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 4
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 16

On 1/21/2020 at 9:14 AM, Ozlsn said:

Lisa knows jackshit about Toll-like receptors or how the immune system works. As for "no aborted fetal DNA (*cough*... albumin... protein)" - DNA and proteins are not the same thing you effing moron. Go back to Biology 101 and start again. Sheesh.

And then send your kids to Biology 101, for the love of Rufus, don’t homeschool them with your pitiful misinformation and total lack of understanding as to how anything works.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 4

17 hours ago, feministxtian said:

Blood transfusions: Mr. Xtian had transfusions when he had his pancreatic surgery and of course, when he was fighting cancer. The medical staff asks a variety of questions before they even order the blood, like "do you have a problem not knowing the race/ethnicity/sex of the donors?" and "do you have any objections to blood transfusions". They asked both of us. I was like "oh hell no, top off the tank" and Mr. Xtian was the same way. 

BFD about the whole DNA thing. Pink and alive beats pale and dying. 

This is a topic that makes me stabby...vaccinations and blood transfusions...and proper medical care. Got my boosters the other day to protect the baby that's coming later this summer. 

For the love of God, get the shots, accept the transfusions, take the pills, whatever it takes. 

I had a horrible allergy fall, so bad it went into allergy induced asthma. I was on a nebulizer, another inhaler, a nasal spray and an allergy pill. I went for a check up on how I was doing after all that earlier this month, my NP suggested I get a pneumonia shot. Then she remembered my age (under 50) and we had to check with my insurance because insurance companies know way better than doctors :roll:.  I am getting my pneumonia shot on Tuesday. :)(If my insurance didn't cover it, my mom said she would help me pay for it because we were all scared when I couldn't breathe.) 

I agree, get your shots and proper medical care is a lot better than 6 feet under or in a urn on the mantle. 

And you are a good grandma getting your boosters for the new baby! 

• Upvote 10
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 6

Along with bio101, everyone should take a course in Human Sexuality. And yes, vaccinations save lives. 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 5

2 hours ago, quiversR4hunting said:

I had a horrible allergy fall, so bad it went into allergy induced asthma. ...my NP suggested I get a pneumonia shot. Then she remembered my age (under 50) and we had to check with my insurance because insurance companies know way better than doctors :roll:

What?! I know US health insurance is terrible, but I didn't realize it affected even small, preventative care items. Like...it benefits the insurance company too!!! 

Pretty much the only benefit I get as a grad student is amazing health insurance, but I'm very grateful for it. I have asthma already, but with the fires in SoCal a couple years ago it turned into a whole asthma episode- the nebulizer, steroid course, etc. This was also the year the flu hit really bad. They recommend I get the pneumonia shot (and I was only 25) and were about to launch into the whole "vaccines aren't bad" (remember I'm in SoCal) and I just stuck out my arm. I've gotten vaccines for pretty much everything that's offered. There's nothing more important than your health. I'm sorry that the insurance companies even had a say in that. 

• Upvote 13

26 minutes ago, neurogirl said:

What?! I know US health insurance is terrible, but I didn't realize it affected even small, preventative care items. Like...it benefits the insurance company too!!! 

Yup! I've had chicken pox (before the vaccine was available) and because I am under 50 or 55 (can't remember what the insurance companies require) i can't get the shingles vaccine. Which I think is bullshit. I think anyone that has had chicken pox should be eligible to get the vaccine. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 5

6 minutes ago, quiversR4hunting said:

I think anyone that has had chicken pox should be eligible to get the vaccine. 

Having seen how evil shingles is, I’m right there with you! 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2

1 hour ago, quiversR4hunting said:

Yup! I've had chicken pox (before the vaccine was available) and because I am under 50 or 55 (can't remember what the insurance companies require) i can't get the shingles vaccine. Which I think is bullshit. I think anyone that has had chicken pox should be eligible to get the vaccine. 

My cousin got shingles when she was 22 and in college. She was pulling all nighters and only getting 3 hours a sleep a day. Final projects were due and she was stressed out like crazy. Sure it’s not common but young people can get shingles too.

• I Agree 5

Shit!!! I completely forgot about shingles. I had chickenpox when I was like 13. Put it on the list....MMR booster, Shingles and pneumonia. Look, I hate shots...my shoulder STILL hurts from the TDaP and the flu shots but I'll take that over getting sick OR spreading sickness to my babies. I know my kids got shot all to hell and the one who was in the army (father of the new baby) got shot for everything imaginable. Its like this....if I get sick...no big deal, that's on me. If I carry a virus to my babies, I'd pretty much want to die for being the cause of their suffering. Ok...I'm a wee bit neurotic about this but I'm allowed to be. These are MY babies and keeping them healthy is a big, big deal for me even tho Im just grandma

• Upvote 3
  • Love 11

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

My cousin got shingles when she was 22 and in college. She was pulling all nighters and only getting 3 hours a sleep a day. Final projects were due and she was stressed out like crazy. Sure it’s not common but young people can get shingles too.

My husband got shingles when our son was in NICU. I was on the phone to the hospital checking whether I could come in first thing after we found out (yes - the risk of transmission from him to me to baby was extremely low.)  I also signed an open transfusion consent form for my son and have no idea how many transfusions he ended up having. I was very much if he needs it, don't waste time trying to contact me, just do it. 

23 hours ago, feministxtian said:

Pink and alive beats pale and dying. 

Hell yes, any day.

Edited by Ozlsn
  • Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 8

21 minutes ago, Ozlsn said:

I also signed an open transfusion for my son and have no idea how many transfusions he ended up having. I was very much if he needs it, don't waste time trying to contact me, just do it. 

I may have signed a couple of those...I honestly don't remember. I know in one hospitalization he was competent enough to make the decision and in the ones last year, after the brain tumors, he was judged to be incompetent to make medical decisions on his own (he'd forget things) so I signed all kinds of paperwork and had a medical POA. I honestly don't remember what I signed, they shoved things under my nose, explained what they were and I signed them. 

• Love 8

3 hours ago, quiversR4hunting said:

Also young enough to not get the chicken pox vax, got pox when I was about six or so.  I was able to get the shingles vax almost a year ago, because at the grand age of 40 1/2, I had a shingles outbreak.  My state's Medicaid paid for it with only one appeal letter from my doctor ?

• Upvote 3

*reminds self to discuss shingles vax with doctor *

I got chicken pox when I was ten(pre-vaccine), and as well as making me feel miserable, it blew my chances of getting a perfect attendance award at school for the third straight year.

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, smittykins said:

*reminds self to discuss shingles vax with doctor *

I got chicken pox when I was ten(pre-vaccine), and as well as making me feel miserable, it blew my chances of getting a perfect attendance award at school for the third straight year.

I got it during the summer! So I didn’t even get to miss school. And I had to stay inside instead of going outside to swim and play for a week in the summer. I was ticked.

• Upvote 2
  • Rufus Bless 1

2 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I got it during the summer! So I didn’t even get to miss school. And I had to stay inside instead of going outside to swim and play for a week in the summer. I was ticked.

Everyone at daycare had it when I got it (I was 3ish), my sister brought it home from kindergarten. So all of us still went to day care so our parents could work. We weren't going to get worse and that's how it was done in the late '70s. And chicken pox spreads like wildfire so it was better to get it over with early (that was what the thinking was). My high school boyfriend got when he was 17. Since everyone in my house had already had chicken pox, he came over and we played Nintendo or hung out while he was recovering. 

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

25 minutes ago, quiversR4hunting said:

Everyone at daycare had it when I got it (I was 3ish), my sister brought it home from kindergarten. So all of us still went to day care so our parents could work. We weren't going to get worse and that's how it was done in the late '70s. And chicken pox spreads like wildfire so it was better to get it over with early (that was what the thinking was). My high school boyfriend got when he was 17. Since everyone in my house had already had chicken pox, he came over and we played Nintendo or hung out while he was recovering. 

I caught mono senior year of college from my best friend and our other close friend. No we didn’t make out. But we had a horrible habit of sharing drinks at the bars. So we all had it at the same time. Luckily my boyfriend at the time had already had mono before so we could still kiss ;)

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

I've had chicken pox, so the shingles vaccine on on my list of things I need -- as well as the pneumonia vaccine.

There is a segment of the medical world that postulates that Bell's Palsy is caused by latent chicken pox virus that attacks the 'facial nerve.'  The other suspected causes are stress, heredity, and who knows.

Both my father and his first cousin had it (as well as chicken pox) and now I've had both.

• Upvote 1

I've not had chickenpox, at least not that I'm aware of.  My mum's GP reckons I must have had it purely internally back in my teens.  It went round my secondary school like wildflower and I was one of the few who didn't get spotty.  I did have a few days feeling unwell but definitely no spots.

My kids have had it and Mr Chocolate has had it 3 times.  I haven't caught it from any of them so maybe mum's GP is right.

3 hours ago, Chocolate Lover said:

Mr Chocolate has had it 3 times.

I had no idea you could get it more than once.. Measles yes, Chicken pox, not a clue. 

While you're at it FJ-ers, get the Whooping Cough vaccine (pertussis) even if you had it as a child.  It wears off.  Something that medicine figured out 12 or so years ago during the last Whooping Cough "epidemic" when previously vaccinated adults caught it.

I caught it from my boss who coughed all over the office for weeks and never told any of us what he had.  After I started coughing with what I though was a chest cold that wouldn't leave, the doctor told me I had whopping cough.  When I protested I'd been vaccinated  she said, well we've recently found it wears off.  Got the shot after I was better.  

• Upvote 7