IGNORED

Anna Marie has Breast Cancer

deborahlynn1979

8 hours ago, Dandruff said:

I'm wondering how accurate the imaging can be without the use of radiation (due to pregnancy).

First line imaging would likely be ultrasound as it is excellent for imaging a young woman with dense breasts and a palpable mass  - both for diagnosis and to guide biopsy. While dense breasts and possible difficulties with positioning (due to increased breast tenderness or a large pregnant belly + lead shielding) can limit mammography, these issues can be worked around and mammography may still be useful in the pregnant patient.  A general rule in radiology is to use the lowest dose of radiation that is required. This is true for all patients - including pregnant patients, but if you need radiation in pregnancy to save the mother then you use it.

TL:DR imaging accuracy should not be a problem

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 7
  • Love 1

I have not heard of antenatal steroid shots for late preterm infants(36-38 weeks), but I have been retired for 5 years, so industry practices may have changed. A small percentage of babies born at LPT can be very, very ill with a condition called pulmonary hypertension, in which the lungs revert to pulmonary circulation resulting in limited blood flow to the Now born baby’s lungs. I pray that the Maxwell baby is unaffected, if s/he is born during this time period. MOST babies do quite well being born at these gestational ages. My niece recently had her second baby and both of her kids were born, naturally, at 36 weeks, and both were healthy. Also, stress while in the uterus helps mature a baby’s lungs. So, the baby will have that advantage. 

• Thank You 6
  • Love 1

I had one child at 36 weeks 5 days and she had a 1 minute apgar of 10 and we were out of the hospital in less than 48 hours.  She had zero problems.  My next door neighbor's daughter had her last daughter at 36 weeks and they were out of the hospital 2 days later with zero issues for either of them.  Both were spontaneous deliveries not inductions though.  

• Upvote 6
  • Love 3

I don't know if this means anything but my small, local hospital without a NICU told me that at 36 weeks they didn't automatically transfer to Women and Children's an hour away (unless there were other factors).  Makes me think that at 36 weeks Anna's baby would probably be fine.  Obviously cancer may change this.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 4

On 1/11/2020 at 4:38 PM, llg1234 said:

This is part of why I'm a bit confused. Why wasn't this lump biopsied from the get go? It can be a bit expensive (~$500 for a needle Bx), but unless there are risks to the baby (which there could be, idk), why not rule out things early on?

I'm still breastfeeding so I'm not an expert - but maybe she thought it was a plugged duct or mastitis originally? My boobs have done all sorts of weird things since I started nursing.

I can't stand the Maxwells, but AM doesn't deserve this. Not by a long shot. I am so sorry to hear about this. I'm glad that it seems like there is a good treatment plan starting and that AM isn't going to just be considered an incubator/martyr for the pro life cause. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 4

@Mela99,  yeah, my breasts were lumpy/fibrous as well when I was nursing.  That happens to some of us and it has nothing to do with plugged ducts.  I knew about plugged ducts, but these lumps were not painful as they would have been if I'd  had plugged ducts.  I mentioned this to my first OB and he wrote in my chart that I was a hypochondriac/hysterical.  Nope, I have something of a family history (several great aunts)  of breast cancer and I wanted to make sure I was ok.   Thankfully I moved and went to a great obstetrics practice.  I didn't know what my first OB had written in my chart until I had to get my medical records to submit to my new practice.  That first guy lost pretty much all the respect that I'd had for him after I read my chart.

Edited by PennySycamore
  • Sad 3
  • WTF 1
  • Love 5

That is seriously unprofessional! I'm glad you switched to another doctor. Is there a way to report them? They could potentially turn someone else off an early diagnosis. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 1

Sarah just posted thanking everyone for their support, I guess there are not any news  yet. I'm hoping everything turns out ok, the last post made it seem like the induction was inminent.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 3

29 minutes ago, Foudeb said:

That is seriously unprofessional! I'm glad you switched to another doctor. Is there a way to report them? They could potentially turn someone else off an early diagnosis. 

This happened almost 40 years ago.  I'm not sure Dr Rivera is still in practice.  

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

There are lots of new comments on the Maxwell's blog under the first announcement on Anne Marie's lump.

One is really pushing the Young Life oil called Frank. And giving out the name of some quack cancer doctor in Florida!

Hopefully, AM will listen to the doctors. I did wonder when Teri said they have made appointments with "health experts" if they might consider the quack route.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2

5 minutes ago, louannems said:

I did wonder when Teri said they have made appointments with "health experts" if they might consider the quack route.

When my mom was diagnosed with cancer there was no doubt she was going traditional medicine, as a nurse she even knew which doctor's she wanted.

But we also met with "health experts" - one was about macrobiotic eating.   Or I could see Teri calling a NP a "health expert" because Teri is terrible and human communication.

• Upvote 6
  • Sad 2
  • I Agree 2

45 minutes ago, freejugar said:

Sarah just posted thanking everyone for their support, I guess there are not any news  yet. I'm hoping everything turns out ok, the last post made it seem like the induction was inminent.

Since these are the Maxwells, I’d bet the information will be sparse and much delayed. Like I said, the baby has likely already been born, and obviously a new baby, born a bit prematurely and in a facility , which would be a new experience for C and AM, + having to navigate a new acute illness for the new mother, would put any family into overload. Plus, the info comes from an outside source, the Maxwell mothership, so there’s an additional layer to traverse. It’s probably best that limited info is supplied,  even though it is frustrating for most of us.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3

There are lots of new comments on the Maxwell's blog under the first announcement on Anne Marie's lump.
One is really pushing the Young Life oil called Frank. And giving out the name of some quack cancer doctor in Florida!
Hopefully, AM will listen to the doctors. I did wonder when Teri said they have made appointments with "health experts" if they might consider the quack route.

I wish those oily people could be arrested for impersonating doctors and attempting to offer medical advice without a license.
  • Upvote 10
  • I Agree 13

1 hour ago, SassyPants said:

Since these are the Maxwells, I’d bet the information will be sparse and much delayed. 

Yes. Should Promptly let us know  the state of Anna Marie Maxwells breast’s so we can discuss it in depth. How dare they choose what they want to write on public blog or keep private? I mean really,  the nerve! 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3
  • Confused 2
  • Bless Your Heart 2
  • WTF 3
  • Haha 4

18 minutes ago, tabitha2 said:

Yes. Should Promptly let us know  the state of Anna Marie Maxwells breast’s so we can discuss it in depth. How dare they choose what they want to write on public blog or keep private? I mean really,  the nerve! 

I'm inclined to agree with you. Whatever they share and when, I think it's their call. They can be themselves if they want. It's not our business.

ETA: I wish them well. I do. But I'm not holding my breath for a shocking change in how they choose to share their lives with the world. This is crazy new routine breaking stuff. We can't expect much.

Edited by AliceInFundyland
  • Upvote 8
  • Love 1

28 minutes ago, tabitha2 said:

Why didn’t you quote the whole paragraph? Her last sentence says, “it’s probably best that limited info is supplied, even though it is frustrating for most of us.”

It seems like you are looking for something to be mad about. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 15
  • Rufus Bless 2
  • I Agree 9
  • Thank You 4

I think we'll get a a clear if not overly detailed update on Anna Marie's situation if she and Christopher compose the next entry on the blog. As I said in a previous post, I don't think the baby will be delivered until they get a pathology report, which can take 2-5 business days; after that, the time and place of induction have to be set. Almost ready to predict the arrival of the baby near the end of this week.

• Upvote 4

30 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Why didn’t you quote the whole paragraph? Her last sentence says, “it’s probably best that limited info is supplied, even though it is frustrating for most of us.”

It seems like you are looking for something to be mad about. 

Because her first line sounded very entitled and demanding.  I read it as if She expects info and of course they won’t give it soon enough to please. The last sentence comes off as a throwaway afterthought. 

• Downvote 12
  • Bless Your Heart 2
  • I Agree 1

5 minutes ago, tabitha2 said:

Because her first line sounded very entitled and demanding.  I read it as if She expects info and of course they won’t give it soon enough to please. The last sentence comes off as a throwaway afterthought. 

Then why didn’t you just say exactly that? 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

I’m just wondering how they’re explaining this to their other kids, and how much/how well they actually understand. Even though the younger kids might not understand entirely, they’ll be able to pick up on the worry and fear that Chris and NR Anna must be feeling right now. 

• Upvote 7
  • Love 4

32 minutes ago, tabitha2 said:

Actually, you’d be dead ass wrong on your ASSumption. They are in crisis mode and we have no business to know anything about the state of their family’s health! 
comprende?

Edited by SassyPants
  • Upvote 9
  • Haha 1
  • Love 3

1 hour ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I keep thinking of their older kids.  They must be so scared.  

How old is the oldest? What is going to be really hard for all the kids is the disruption in life at their home. Mom is not going to be available  OTC to meet needs or possibly be missing for large chunks of time. I don’t think the kids are old enough to understand the gravity of this illness, but boy their day to day lives are going to look and feel very different. And a new baby on top of it all. Who is going to pick up the slack? Won’t CM still need to work? Anna and Mary can’t do everything, Steve is rather fragile, and Teri doesn’t seem the best person to take on 5 kids, homeschooling and a newborn. If CM doesn’t work, who pays the bills? It’s a mess, for sure.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 3

If, as predicted above, the induction won't happen until later this week then the baby will be 37 weeks and should avoid almost any potential problems.  

Having gone through a health crisis myself about two years ago now, I can relate with not sharing with the world.  I didn't want to have to explain every thing to anyone outside my daughters.  I didn't feel it was anyone else's right to know details.  I still don't although I'm a bit more open than I was initially.  I resented questions especially detailed or probing ones.  If Anna Marie feels any of that I hope she's free to keep to herself anything that she wants.  

I hope they can keep daily life as normal as possible for the kids.  Getting a sibling is at least not the adjustment for them it would be for a single child.

Edited by Coconut Flan
  • Upvote 14

3 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

Who is going to pick up the slack? Won’t CM still need to work? Anna and Mary can’t do everything,

Sadly this may be exactly what happens. Sarah may help out, too. Terri may help homeschool, but between AnnaandMary and Sarah, it won’t surprise me if between the three of them they do most of it. I hope they don’t “sistermom” cousin Abby to help The Aunties, but that wouldn’t surprise me, either. 

Don’t forget: Terri prepped all of the daughters to eventually homeschool their own never-to-exist kids, so they (well, AnnaadnMary at least) many appreciate the practice of homeschooling. ?‍♀️

• Upvote 9
  • Sad 1

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic