IGNORED

Anna Marie has Breast Cancer

deborahlynn1979

51 minutes ago, seraaa said:

I have no idea if this applies to her situation or whether they apply for it at all (not American I have no idea how this works) but there has been some healthcare news from Kansas

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/kansas-governor-top-republican-reach-deal-expand-medicaid-n1113071

I hope she gets better soon

There is a special Medicaid for women with cancer that is not dependent on the state or on expansions. She likely qualifies just because she has so many kids - the income limit for a family her size is about $60k in Kansas. I hope the hospital hooks them up. I am betting Christopher is somehow paid through Titus2 or Communications Concepts and his on paper income is not huge.

1 hour ago, NancyDrewFan1989 said:

I really do hope things turn out okay for Anna Marie. Unfortunately, some fundies have a tendency not to take doctors advice in terms of child bearing. Chelsy (Bontrager) Maxwell has shared her grandmother was told not to continue on having children by a doctor. Then again there is Alyssa (Bates) Webster who seems to have put having more children on hold until they find a way to help out her heart problems.

Knowing Anna Marie and Christopher they will avoid the doctors orders and continue having children after this one. I really hope that doesn't happen. But, time will tell especially if the cancer is more aggressive. I just hope that Anna Marie comes out okay from this. Also, that Christopher puts the breaks on having more children after this one until she is able to fully recover from the surgery.

The main Maxwell clan is much more science and medicine oriented than most fundies. They did everything they could for Susannah and Melanie. I doubt this will be any different.

Edited by nelliebelle1197
  • Upvote 17
  • Thank You 3
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, MMAH said:

The University of Kansas Cancer Center is really really good.  I'm hoping that she gets her care there.

And quite honestly, a big center like that will have a good social worker network who can make sure she gets access to appropriate social services.

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 1

Damn. I actually got teary reading this. I kind of have a grudging admiration for Anna Marie despite everything, and have no doubt that she is adored by her family. Really hope it all works out for them.

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Alisamer said:

*Except when it comes to mental health, apparently. 

Fair enough.

But this is one of those times I am glad Steve and Teri aren't Plexus-guzzling maniacs or into healing Jesus crystals or some shit. If Steve Jobs wanted to explore "alternative options" first, that's his business, but Anna has a ton of very small children who really need her. 

I do wonder how well Scamaritan will cover all of these (likely astronomical) bills. And I really hope she doesn't turn down any treatment because it could affect fertility. 

It's crazy to think how much we used to worry about Melanie's pregnancies and her potentially dying while her children were young, as compared to hardy NR-Anna. This is the third event this week that reminded me how fast life can change. 

• Upvote 16
  • Love 1

For whatever it’s worth, I have known a few people who used health shares(I grew up half fundie) and it was really catastrophic insurance. Sucked if you just had an ankle sprain but they were good when shIt hit the fan.  Plus the hospital will help them get whatever financial help they may qualify for.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 4

I don’t know how Samaritan works, but I imagine that a lot of people who follow the Maxwells use it.  They have a big enough platform within Samaritan’s target market, that I imagine they won’t have any trouble getting their costs covered.  
I hope Anna Marie has the best possible prognosis,  treatment, and outcome.  She must be so scared right now, and probably feels like she needs to keep it together for everyone else. 
My sister had to be induced at 36 weeks because of preeclampsia, and my niece was tiny, but mighty.  They can give the baby steroids in advance of early induction to strengthen her lungs, like they did with my niece.  She was only in the hospital about 10 days.  She just needed enough fat on her to maintain her body temperature.  The Maxwell baby will probably be ok, even if they induce this week.

• Upvote 8

44 minutes ago, Captain Obvious said:

Damn. I actually got teary reading this. I kind of have a grudging admiration for Anna Marie despite everything, and have no doubt that she is adored by her family. Really hope it all works out for them.

I feel the same way. When I read the thread title I actually said “Oh my God!” 

This is very sad and I really wish the best for her. I have no doubt the Maxwell family will really step in and help with the kids, cooking, household work, etc.  I hope Anna Marie’s parents can come and spend a lot of time with her during this.  

• Upvote 15

A baby born at 36 weeks should have few complications.  The baby should be able to breathe on its own which ordinarily the biggest problem with premies.  They might keep the baby in the NICU or maybe just the regular newborn nursery for a week to make sure s/he can eat okay.  Late-tom premies sometimes do have feeding issues.  

While it might be possible for Anna Marie to breastfeed on the unaffected breast,  it might be difficult to establish lactation with the separation she's need to experience and then the after-surgery radiation and chemo.  Some mothers do nurse again post-radiation.  The mom has to know the half-lives of any radioactive agents she is given to know when, and of, she can begin to nurse again. If not just the radioactive agent in her milk either; with some radioactive therapies, the mother and infant have to be separated for a time.  And chemotherapy is incompatible with breastfeeding.  One other thing:  radiated breasts tend to have impaired milk production in subsequent pregnancies.  

Anna Marie needs to keep in mind that her kids need a living mom much, much more than this baby needs her milk.  

Some moms don't get this.  I know of a tragedy from some years back where a mother wanted to keep nursing even though she'd been diagnosed with ovarian cancer.  She didn't have the aggressive therapy she needed, but opted for less aggressive course of treatment.  She died about a year later.  Now, maybe she would have died anyway, but she basically didn't have a chance with the less aggressive treatment.   

• Upvote 20
  • Love 1

I feel for her and I a happy that she seems to be getting good medical care at least. 

She is the same age that my grandmother was when she had breast cancer. She has been cancer free for 49+ years now. I hope Anna Marie has that same outcome. 

• Upvote 10
  • Love 9

Tragic news for anyone at any age, but especially so for a young mom with a growing family and a soon-to-be-premie newborn. I wish only the best for her.

I guess this is one time we can be grateful that the Maxwell girls remain unmarried since they’ll be available to really step up and help. And as strict as the Maxwells are about gender roles, none of the men seem to have an issue with taking over household chores, nor are the they kind who “babysit” their own children. They’re very hands-on. Small blessings…

Edited by sparkles
  • Upvote 23
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 1

So sad to hear this.

Teri has answered every single "we're praying" comment with at least a "thank you," and a few had additions that were specific to what the person wrote.

It's good to see that she can be gracious and grateful.

• Upvote 18
  • Love 1

Well said, Sparkles. Such sad news. Wish Anne Marie and family all the best. She always looks so contented in her life too. I really hope she'll be ok.

• Upvote 10

Oh, I'm very sorry to read this about Anna Marie.  I agree with @sparkles ,  I'm very glad she has so many in-laws nearby to help her.

Praying for her.

Edited by kpmom
  • Upvote 5
  • I Agree 4

24 minutes ago, thoughtful said:

So sad to hear this.

Teri has answered every single "we're praying" comment with at least a "thank you," and a few had additions that were specific to what the person wrote.

It's good to see that she can be gracious and grateful.

I noticed Teri’s responses also and think it’s very admirable that she is doing that.  

• Upvote 16

It is actually very good that the MaxBorg is so close. The kids will have a great grandmother, grandparents, maiden aunts, cousins and full families with which they spend a lot of time. And it gives Anna and Mary something truly important to do. We know that Christopher will have all the support he can possibly use and the kids will get plenty of love from Anna and Mary.

• Upvote 15

Sounds to me like the lump has been there for awhile but only recently started growing rapidly.  Perhaps it's related to the increased estrogen in pregnancy?

I hope it turns out well for her, and therefore her kids.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 8

I sincerely hope that it was caught early, and that treatment is successful.

• Upvote 9

4 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

She's so young! I have no words. I hope she can overcome the cancer and live a long life with all her children.

It's my understanding that when young women (in their 30's) have breast cancer, it's often very aggressive.  And the opposite for older women, who's breast cancers are offer very slow growing.

I think of Andrea Mills who recently died just a few days after being diagnosed with aggressive metastatic breast cancer.  Of course, she hated doctors and never went for checkups, even during pregnancy.  She died at age 40 leaving behind 9 children, including a nursing baby.

And then there is Zsu who often claims that having large families greatly reduced chances of getting breast cancer.

Anne Marie seems like Mother Earth herself and the last person you'd expect to be sick.  I hope the best for her.

The spinster aunties will have their hands full caring for all those little kids while AnneMarie has treatments and recovers.

• Upvote 5
  • Sad 1
  • I Agree 2

@louannems,  Zsu may be sorta right about large families greatly reducing a woman's risk of breast cancer.  It's not really the number of children but rather the number of pregnancies and the cumulative months of breastfeeding.  If a woman has a large family because she adopts or because she marries a guy with lots of kids, then her risk is not reduced.  It also appears that breast cancer occurring during or shortly after pregnancy has worse outcomes because the cancer tends to be diagnosed at a later stage.  Women tend to ignore breast pain and lumps during pregnancy and while they are nursing.  I do hope that Anna Marie is one of those who makes it.  And Scamaritan does the right thing and pays for whatever treatment she needs.  

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 2

Their newest post is a bit of a trigger for me, as more than 30 years ago, the mother of my second grade best friend passed away after a very similar situation.  We’ve come a long way since then with cancer treatments so I am wishing the best for Anna (Marie).  I don’t wish that on anyone. 

• Love 14

Count me with those who audibly gasped in dismay to read the news. 

Also with those who have nothing but hopes for a good outcome for all involved. 

Those said ... I wonder if she would agree to a bilateral mastectomy if it were an option.  A friend of a friend chose that when diagnosed in early 40s.  She couldn’t lift heavy stuff for six weeks and will be on tamoxifen for 5 years, but .... no chemo, no radiation, ... and her husband continues to love her for herself, not her bosom, which I rather imagine is true of Chris’ love for his wife. 

In any case, hopes and prayers. 

• Upvote 11

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic