IGNORED

Anna Marie has Breast Cancer

deborahlynn1979

I'm glad to see that the birth seems to have gone smoothly.  I hope Anna's treatment is as uncomplicated as possible and a complete success.  Cancer is evil, I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy!  One worry I do have for Anna is Maxhell's lack of understanding about mental health; cancer treatment can be utterly brutal, it's not uncommon for either depression or PTSD to rear their ugly heads in the aftermath - I really hope her MH isn't ignored.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 5

While I like both names I agree that Peter as a first name would have flowed better with Maxwell. 

From my Catholic school days I recall Peter the apostle (AKA Simon Peter) as one of the three who denied knowing Jesus while Jesus was on trial in front of the Romans.  I guess it didn't occur to C and A that the baby's name could also be taken to mean a betrayer who goes on to be a Catholic Pope! Perhaps this little Maxwell will rebel and go all Papist!

Finally, did we really need to know the status of Anna Marie's varicose veins?

• Upvote 10

35 minutes ago, petrushka said:

While I like both names I agree that Peter as a first name would have flowed better with Maxwell. 

From my Catholic school days I recall Peter the apostle (AKA Simon Peter) as one of the three who denied knowing Jesus while Jesus was on trial in front of the Romans.  I guess it didn't occur to C and A that the baby's name could also be taken to mean a betrayer who goes on to be a Catholic Pope! Perhaps this little Maxwell will rebel and go all Papist!

Finally, did we really need to know the status of Anna Marie's varicose veins?

Apparently, Anna Marie has gotten severe varicose veins during her last several pregnancies.  To the point of being bedridden and the aunties have to take over.

My mom had that problem and back in the 60's she had her veins "stripped".  Like Anna Marie, she had too many babies too close together.

• Upvote 5
  • Sad 3
  • Thank You 2

A lovely friend just a little older than AM and with her family complete had a bilateral mastectomy after a cancer diagnosis. Was supremely uninterested in what she considered half-measures. I wish with all my ashen heart that AM would consider that if the crappy disease had not affected neighboring nodes and organs.

Just be done with it, save for Tamoxifen and such. It’s entirely her (her husband's?) choice, but to me, just to avoid the backing and forthing of tests, surgeries, treatments, etc., with 6 little children under her wings....could be so much easier on her. 

Time will tell. I don’t have to want to be best friends with someone to wish them all the best.  Even if their core values repulse me. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 9

14 minutes ago, MamaJunebug said:

It’s entirely her (her husband's?) choice

Her choice.  Sadly, she may not realize that but I hope with her recovery comes  the (for her) life changing revelation that she has bodily autonomy.  Legally.  Morally.  Ethically.  

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 4

Just now, HerNameIsBuffy said:

... I hope with her recovery comes  the (for her) life changing revelation that she has bodily autonomy.  Legally.  Morally.  Ethically.  

And theologically. 

(Yeah Steve, I said it.)

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 4

55 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Her choice.  Sadly, she may not realize that but I hope with her recovery comes  the (for her) life changing revelation that she has bodily autonomy.  Legally.  Morally.  Ethically.  

I hope the doctors and nurses get a few minutes to talk to her without her husband present. I'm sure AM is steeped in KoolAid   Flavour Aid and making her own choices, but I'm often reminded of that episode of Greys or House or Private Practice where the woman was pregnant and asked for the doctor to tie her tubes when her husband stepped away for ten seconds.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 1

Everything about her induction sounds like the one that was planned for my cousin... I a happy it worked out for a safe delivery.  Vaginal delivery is a mush easier healing physically and emotionally!  I assume that with all her upcoming treatments, surgery and hospital time she will definitely have a social worker visiting her- especially with her being PP and the heightened hormones surrounding that.  

What I CAN snark on is the fact that they HAD to toss in the part about her varicose veins feeling better.  If it was ANNA making comment about them that would be fine by me.. but to have others sharing that it just so annoying...  

• Upvote 11
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, louannems said:

she had her veins "stripped".

I'm too scared to google what that means....yikes!

• I Agree 3
  • Love 1

Vein stripping is not some horrible procedure and for women who suffer from varicose veins it can be totally worth it.

Vein stripping

It's not the only procedure that can be tried though.  I think that two of my aunts had their veins stripped as they suffered horribly from varicose veins.  I remember one neighbor who worked at the nearby Kendall plant who would pick up Kendall's support stocking for my aunts.

• Thank You 1
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

Vein stripping is not some horrible procedure and for women who suffer from varicose veins it can be totally worth it.

Vein stripping

It's not the only procedure that can be tried though.  I think that two of my aunts had their veins stripped as they suffered horribly from varicose veins.  I remember one neighbor who worked at the nearby Kendall plant who would pick up Kendall's support stocking for my aunts.

You have to admit it’s a horrible name for a procedure.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 6

7 minutes ago, Granwych said:

Hope nobody harasses him with “Simple Simon.”

Who?  Not like he's going to go to school with other kids.  

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 12

Kids will make fun of every name under the sun if they really want to.  My sister and I didn’t always get along as kids, and she managed to rhyme my very short and common name with pizza and diarrhea.  

I had an acquaintance several years ago who, when she was pregnant, gave a list of names to her nieces and nephews and told them to make fun of the names.  She took this potential teasing into consideration as she narrowed down the list, but none of her names were free of teasing. 

• Upvote 4
  • Love 3

8 hours ago, Granwych said:

Probably not. This kid is never going to be around any kids other than his siblings and cousins. Even if he is, do 21st century kids know any of the old nursery rhymes? I don't think most parents today teach them to their kids anymore.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 3

7 hours ago, albanuadh_1 said:

I hope that Anna Marie doesn't get pregnant anytime soon - actually I really wish she would stop now!

Depending on the treatment she has, she may not be able to get pregnant again. 

She (and the rest of the Maxwells) have horrible beliefs, but I still wish her the best. Cancer is a bitch. I wouldn’t wish it on anyone. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 9

12 hours ago, Granwych said:

This is the grandson of the couple who censored the lyrics to “Row Your Boat.”  I highly doubt nursery-rhyme books exist in Maxhell. 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 6

5 hours ago, KnittingOwl said:

Depending on the treatment she has, she may not be able to get pregnant again. 

She (and the rest of the Maxwells) have horrible beliefs, but I still wish her the best. Cancer is a bitch. I wouldn’t wish it on anyone. 

Or Anna Marie's oncologist's might advise her that a future pregnancy is unwise given her history.  At least they'd probably want her to wait a few years as pregnancy can exacerbate breast cancer.  

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, PennySycamore said:

Or Anna Marie's oncologist's might advise her that a future pregnancy is unwise given her history.  At least they'd probably want her to wait a few years as pregnancy can exacerbate breast cancer.  

Is there a danger to a (hypothetical) future baby if one gets pregnant too soon after radiation and/or chemo?

• Upvote 3

I had  a friend whose mother always had 10-12# babies; she had five (and miscarried twins) even though her doctors told her she shouldn't have a second, because her husband (a nasty drunk) refused to agree.  After the birth of her fifth, the doctors did something that wouldn't be detected, and she never had another one.  The next one would have killed her.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Is there a danger to a (hypothetical) future baby if one gets pregnant too soon after radiation and/or chemo?

There are drugs (tamoxifen is one) that can be harmful to a developing fetus. Depending on the route she takes, another pregnancy may not be advisable. Hopefully they take their doctor’s advice, even if it’s not to have more babies. 

https://blog.dana-farber.org/insight/2015/01/does-pregnancy-increase-risk-of-breast-cancer/

Edited by Giraffe
  • Upvote 2
  • Thank You 4

1 hour ago, Giraffe said:

Hopefully they take their doctor’s advice, even if it’s not to have more babies.

At the least, I'd expect them to get a few more opinions if told not to have more children...while praying like crazy.  If they got an opinion that remotely suggested it might be OK then I wouldn't be surprised if they decided to go for it.  Put it in the Lord's hands, etc.

• I Agree 6

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic