IGNORED

Anna Marie has Breast Cancer

deborahlynn1979

11 minutes ago, SPHASH said:

Sounds like Amish Anna is homebirthing.  I don't like that.

Neither do I.  For one thing, if she's being induced, she has no business laboring at home.  Induced labors need to monitoring.  Also, I really don't understand why she did not have a c-section.  Yes, I know that a c-section is more expensive, but in this situation, I think it would be easier on her body.  

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 4

3 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

Neither do I.  For one thing, if she's being induced, she has no business laboring at home.  Induced labors need to monitoring.  Also, I really don't understand why she did not have a c-section.  Yes, I know that a c-section is more expensive, but in this situation, I think it would be easier on her body.  

ITA that induction should be monitored and not at home.

Would a c-section be easier?  I've never had one, but I'd think it would be easier to avoid labor but she'd be dealing with recovery from surgery going into another surgery.  

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 1

Reading that post makes me wonder if they’re trying to induce “naturally” because they mention if the baby doesn’t arrive tonight they’ll go to the hospital tomorrow to deliver*.

(* I went back to get their actual words but their blog seems to have gone down)

Edited by Giraffe
  • Upvote 8
  • Rufus Bless 1

I was going to ask y'all about that. I thought inductions were always done in an hospital so the woman and fetus could be monitored. I'm also surprised that they didn't just schedule her for a c-section ASAP, but I guess they wanted to try a vaginal delivery first? IDK, I just hope they are taking precautions and not just "trusting God." For those that believe, God gave people the ability to become doctors and nurses and make these strides in medicine and help each other. This weird anti-science contingent of Christianity will never stop being bizarre to me. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 10

My guess is the induction process was started with sweeping the membranes and inserting some pre-induction gel.  Then sent home and return to the hospital in the morning for pitocin. I think this gets the cervix more ripe so it will respond easier to the early induction.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 7

1 hour ago, SPHASH said:

Sounds like Amish Anna is homebirthing.  I don't like that.

there was something said about going to the hospital tomorrow to finish the induction. 

• Upvote 3

On 1/16/2020 at 4:45 PM, PennySycamore said:

@louannems, you mentioned Social Security.  I wonder about Sarah, Anna, and Mary on that score.  Will any of them have enough work history and have paid into the system to earn Social Security on their own accord?  And if they never marry, they may not qualify for Medicare either.  

They will still be able to enroll in Medicare parts A and B when they reach 65, but they will have to pay a premium. Some states also have programs to help low-income people pay for the part A coverage and out of pocket costs. But, yeah, without husbands to support them they are pretty much screwed, especially if Steve and Teri end up needing long term nursing care.

If you're eligible for Medicare you are automatically enrolled in Part A when you turn 65. This covers essentially all of your in-patient hospital expenses. Unless you have another health insurance plan you have 3 months after turning 65 to sign up for a Part B plan and Part D if you want prescription drug coverage.

Here's where it gets messy. You can choose between Medigap plans that cover what Part B does not (and Part B co-pays, because of negotiated costs, are still less out of pocket than what my generous company-provided insurance plan paid) or an Advantage plan. The Advantage plans sound like a good deal when you are 65 and in good health but you are basically signing away your Medicare coverage forever and you are at the mercy of the insurance company. They can, for example, force you to change doctors, or refuse procedures that Medicare would cover. And the co-pays, should you be so unfortunate as to need dialysis or other recurring procedures, can be horrific. If you sign up for a Medigap policy (Plan F or G), yeah, you'll pay more every month (I pay $45/month for a policy that, after a $2000 deductible, pays 100% of all medical expenses that Medicare covers) and you can always switch from a medigap policy to an Advantage plan, but if you start with an Advantage plan you can't switch to a medigap policy without passing a physical exam and good luck with that. A couple of my friends and one relative are experiencing incredible medical expenses right now because they chose Advantage plans when they were 65 and healthy.

Oh yeah, and if you don't sign up for prescription drug coverage within that 3 month window because, hey, you don't take any prescription drugs, you can never sign up for that Plan D drug plan. Ever. My relative is paying $2000 out of pocket every month for medication she needs to stay alive because she didn't think she would ever need drug coverage.

Thus endeth my sermon on the state of health care in America. Go in peace.

Edited by Black Aliss
  • Upvote 7
  • WTF 1
  • Thank You 11

2 hours ago, Maggie Mae said:

I don't know how people can find someone who upholds patriarchal society by keeping her girls ignorant, away from the "corrupting influences" and not believing in the value of education is at all "likeable." she's not likable. She's a Trump voting, anti-choice, anti-woman, anti-education person who I guess some here find attractive and smiles a lot. Cancer sucks, but I hope this somehow puts her on the path to put her kids into school so they can have a future. 

Seriously?  I have friends- very good friends- who are pro-Trump and pro-life. I agree with them on so many other things; why would I allow that idiot narcissist to cost me friends? He’s already taken so many other things from us. If we can’t find common ground with nearly half the country, there is no hope for us. 

• Upvote 17
  • Downvote 3
  • Bless Your Heart 3
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 9

@Mela99,  my OB with my last three told me not to try to induce with castor oil.  1.  It wouldn't work unless you were about ready to go into labor anyway.  2.  Castor oil tastes vile!  He said that he had to take castor oil every Saturday night when he was a kid.  You could tell that he could almost taste it after 30 or so years.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

3 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Would a c-section be easier?  I've never had one, but I'd think it would be easier to avoid labor but she'd be dealing with recovery from surgery going into another surgery.  

But does Scamaritan care what's easier for recovery?

Speaking as a c-section mom, the recovery from cesarean is no joke. That said, mine was an emergency c after hours of pushing. Friends who have simply gone to the hospital and had a scheduled c-section say it's a lot easier than my recovery was.

1 hour ago, louannems said:

My guess is the induction process was started with sweeping the membranes and inserting some pre-induction gel.  Then sent home and return to the hospital in the morning for pitocin. I think this gets the cervix more ripe so it will respond easier to the early induction.

1 hour ago, Mela99 said:

As long as it’s not induction by castor oil diarrhea

Or maybe she just ate a lot of pineapple and hoped that would do the trick? She's probably hoping for a quick homebirth tonight before the "interventions" become necessary tomorrow. And aside from the early timetable (but isn't she over 37 weeks by now?) I can't begrudge her that. This may well be the last time she gets to give birth. She's done it at home with seeming ease before...finishing her childbirth run in the hospital would be a bummer. Plus pitocin contractions are brutal...and she's probably not allowed (either by her headship, or by Scamaritan because of the cost, or just her own mindset that women are SUPPOSED to suffer in childbirth) to have any pain interventions. She's probably hoping things kick in tonight and she gets one last homebirth.

• Upvote 6

I'm a breast cancer survivor myself.  I couldn't imagine having to go through that while caring for young children, and mine was caught early and treated with surgery and radiation, and my life expectancy is the same as if this had never happened.

I sure wish them all the best.

• Love 27

My guess is that it's a medical induction. They can insert a pessary, which can be done as an outpatient procedure, which can trigger early labour. I bet that's where they're currently at. If that doesn't work they'll probably go for a gel, which is done as an inpatient procedure as you do need monitoring from there as it triggers active labour. Only after that do they look at rupturing the membranes and a drip and only if labour stalls after all of that will they look at a csection. 

Recovering from a vaginal birth, especially for a multipara like Anna, is so much easier than from a csection. I wish her a successful induction and a vaginal birth. She doesn't need a csection recovery before she embarks onto cancer treatments. 

• Upvote 22
  • I Agree 1

Standard medical care in the US right now is that hospitals won't allow c-sections "for convenience" which is what that would be.   There would be no medical justification to just up and do a section.  Needing to treat the cancer is a reason to deliver the baby not to go straight to a section.  

I was surprised that the Maxwells were both talking home birth and the hope to avoid a NICU stay in the same post.  They don't seem to have a good grasp of the situation or again it's someone's extremely poor writing skills not making the situation clear.  It could be that the chance of a home birth occurring overnight was at around 1% so not a likely option.  

• Upvote 13

And the aunties are providing childcare. I hope that means that Teri and Steve are cooking and cleaning.

• Upvote 8

1 hour ago, SassyPants said:

And the aunties are providing childcare. I hope that means that Teri and Steve are cooking and cleaning.

That's my biggest fear.  Something happens to Amish Anna and unless Prissy Chris finds a fundie woman around his age who likes frumpers the spinster sisters will be pressed into long term nanny duty which means so chance of getting married and no more Bible Club, face painting/balloon making at the county fair, and mystery mission trips.  And Ruthie, Lydia, and Lizzie will become just like their spinster aunts having to take care of their dad into old age.

• Sad 6
  • I Agree 3

14 hours ago, HoneyBunny said:

Seriously?  I have friends- very good friends- who are pro-Trump and pro-life. I agree with them on so many other things; why would I allow that idiot narcissist to cost me friends? He’s already taken so many other things from us. If we can’t find common ground with nearly half the country, there is no hope for us. 

I could not be friends with people who support someone who doesn’t believe I should have fundamental rights as a uterus haver or a queer person. Not to mention supporting someone who literally causes children to be put in cages and empowers Nazis. Some friends. 

• Upvote 20
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 5

Many FJers  speculated the spinster sisters would be pressed into childcare services as their SILs broods expanded, and/or else into eldercare for Teri and Steve, as those two have thwarted their opportunities to marry..   But I  never thought it would be due to a totally unexpected medical crisis.  I really wonder what goes through their minds and how much anxiety there is at the Maxborg right now.  

Prissy and Anna Marie are in for a rough go even with all the extra family help.  This is going to change their lives in ways they can't even begin to imagine with current mindset.

Hoping we have news of a healthy baby today.

• Upvote 13

Shouldn't she have had the baby by now? I hope everything is alright.

• Upvote 3

It can take up to two days or even three for an induction especially an early one when the cervix isn't ripe.  The timing can depend on on many factors including things like having a vacant room in L&D, the doctor's schedule, the parents' wishes, and over all that the response of her body.

• Upvote 12
  • Thank You 1

On 1/17/2020 at 7:10 AM, OMG said:

I've also recently learned that people on this forum do not bathe regularly.

We do bathe occasionally. I, for one, even brush my teeth once a week. 

8EE80872-8B18-414F-85AC-FF769A26C028.gif

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 24

17 minutes ago, FluffySnowball said:

We do bathe occasionally. I, for one, even brush my teeth once a week. 

8EE80872-8B18-414F-85AC-FF769A26C028.gif

I’m just curious - why so frequently? My dentist cleans mine every six months. Why waste time brushing more? As for bathing, isn’t occasionally just the best?! Personally I feel quite accomplished when I see a good, thick ring of grime around the tub when I get out. Anything more frequently is just wasteful imo. 

Edited by Giraffe
Riffle
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 27
  • Love 1

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic