IGNORED

United Methodist Church May Be Splitting

47of74

My mom is spearheading her church is pushed to leave the United Methodist church. She's gone to some meetings and they've put the vote up to the membership of the church to leave. A lot of churches in their area are talking about either going completely independent or joining the global Methodist movement. Several other churches in her area are in the process of leaving as well.

Let me add that my mom is 80 and there will be no changing her mind. My brother is staying with the United Methodist Church and if I went back to church I would still be with the United Methodist Church.

Edited by Audrey2
  • Sad 1

I know it's too late to add to my earlier post. 

My mom was part of the Evangelical United Brethren Church which merged in 1968 with the Methodist Church to form the United Methodist Church. She loves to point out how the merger was almost a split in the early '70s. In the 50-plus years that she has been a United Methodist she has not been fond of the United Methodist Church so her pushing the church to leave the UMC is also colored by this history.

• Thank You 2

Several churches I've paid attention to have an interesting pattern. The ones that used to be Methodist Episcopal want to stay UMC, and the former EUB churches are leaning toward the new Global Methodist Church. I wonder if this is widespread or if I'm off-base. 

• Thank You 3

• 6 months later...

Down in Iowa 83 churches have voted to leave the UMC.

83 churches are leaving the Iowa Annual Conference, about 11% of the 750 Methodist churches in Iowa.

"It is with sadness to see these churches leave," said Bishop Kennetha Bigham-Tsai. "But it was our intent to allow churches, that had duly voted to leave, to do so in a spirit of grace. It is now time to move on and do the ministry to which we have been called and to be vehicles for healing within the Iowa Annual Conference." 

The Iowa Annual Conference held a special session over Zoom on Tuesday evening, where they approved the resolution of the disaffiliation, with 96% voting to pass it. 

The 83 Iowa churches will no longer be part of the United Methodist Church after June 30. The list of churches includes 28 from Eastern Iowa, including four from Dubuque and two from Marion.

I'm glad to see the UMC in Iowa is not going to be all pissy about this and just wave them good bye.

I think it would've happened a year or two sooner if not for the pandemic.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, 47of74 said:

Down in Iowa 83 churches have voted to leave the UMC.

I'm glad to see the UMC in Iowa is not going to be all pissy about this and just wave them good bye.

I think it would've happened a year or two sooner if not for the pandemic.

My understand is If it wasn’t for the pandemic, it would be swapped since the original decision was for the UMC to not allow homosexual clergy member.  That vote was suppose to be finalized during the pandemic, but since it keeps being pushed back, the decision was swapped as was the details of churches leaving.  I’ve been told by several people that the UMC will only be part of North America and a few liberal countries, where as Global Methodist will become the larger denomination internationally. 

• Thank You 3