IGNORED

Joe and Kendra 14: Who's Addison? They're all Becoming a Giant Blur to Me.

HerNameIsBuffy

That timeline sounds right - my oldest was born in early 2000s - and it was on his kindergarten requirements (US) so the younger five or six kiddos would have been recommended it at regular appointments.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, therulesofjinx said:

When I was a young kid in the 80's and early 90's, the chicken pox vaccine wasn't a thing in my area of the U.S.- otherwise I'm sure my mom would have had me get it- especially since I never caught it when I was little. I caught it at the age of 11 (so 1996) and had a horrible, horrible case of it. I work with a woman who was born in 1995, I believe, and she did get the vaccine at some point- very well could have been the early 2000's- so, many of the Duggar kids were little before the vaccine was common.

My old tutor’s son got the shot in 1996 when it first came out. He was 17 at the time for whatever reason he never got the chicken pox even when his elementary school had an outbreak. 

• I Agree 1

8 hours ago, Someone Out There said:

I doubt that would be why.  It would be more likely that the chicken pox vaccine is a more recent vaccine so it wouldn't have been on the schedule of standard vaccines to get at the time.  I'm looking at a page that states that it has been available in Australian since 2000, so presumably it may have been in the USA around then?  It then probably wasn't added to the list of standard vaccines to get for a number of years.

I was born in 1990 and I got the chickenpox vaccine as a small child, same for my husband. 

From the CDC website:

Chickenpox vaccine became available in the United States in 1995. Each year, more than 3.5 million cases of chickenpox, 9,000 hospitalizations, and 100 deaths are prevented by chickenpox vaccination in the United States.

So it tracks that both my husband and I received the vaccine in early elementary having been born in 1990. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

1 hour ago, Seculardaisy said:

From the CDC website:

Chickenpox vaccine became available in the United States in 1995. Each year, more than 3.5 million cases of chickenpox, 9,000 hospitalizations, and 100 deaths are prevented by chickenpox vaccination in the United States.

So it tracks that both my husband and I received the vaccine in early elementary having been born in 1990. 

Yep - and months before it was available I got chicken pox with my 3 young kids.  It was a fun time...I remember it through a benedril haze.

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, Seculardaisy said:

From the CDC website:

Yes but I assume you attended public school, and thus the school was fairly on top of making sure everyone was vaccinated. The Duggars do not, there's no one but Michelle is there to keep track of everyone's vaccines and with that many kids all on different schedules for vaccines it's easy to see how this would fall by the wayside, especially for Michelle. I think a majority of the kids have partial vaccines but I'd be very surprised if anyone but Josie, who was frequently at the hospital as a small child, has full vaccines. 

• Upvote 6

2 hours ago, Peaches-n-Beans said:

Yes but I assume you attended public school, and thus the school was fairly on top of making sure everyone was vaccinated. The Duggars do not, there's no one but Michelle is there to keep track of everyone's vaccines and with that many kids all on different schedules for vaccines it's easy to see how this would fall by the wayside, especially for Michelle. I think a majority of the kids have partial vaccines but I'd be very surprised if anyone but Josie, who was frequently at the hospital as a small child, has full vaccines. 

I was just providing clarity on the time frame of the vaccine since that was a topic of conversation a page or two back. I wasn’t arguing for whether or not all of the Duggar kids got it.

Judging by this clip where Jim Bob says 12 children had the chicken pox at once I’ll say they didn’t. This was when Josie was about to be discharged from the NICU. The chicken pox vaccine was already around in the U.S. for almost 15 years at this point.

Edited by Seculardaisy
  • Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

7 hours ago, Seculardaisy said:

From the CDC website:

Ok, that makes sense why I never got it. I was born in '86 and caught chicken pox in kindergarten. So by the time that vaccine was available, I'd already been sick. 

• Upvote 4

No vaccine for me I’m to old got the pox at 22 holy fuck I was sick, covered in the head to toe. They got infected and all turned shrek green. I was like a swamp monster. The two little boys who gave it to me got 6 pox between them... 

sign me up for the shingles vax 

• Upvote 9

Just because they got chicken pox doesnt mean they didn’t get the vaccine though. Surely there is different strains of it. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Dollypeeps said:

Just because they got chicken pox doesnt mean they didn’t get the vaccine though. Surely there is different strains of it. 

You can still get chicken pox if you have had the vaccine you just get it more mildly. 

• I Agree 1

38 minutes ago, Dollypeeps said:

Again from the CDC. Yes they may have been able to still contract the chickenpox I’d vaccinated but it would be quite unlikely and there would be few symptoms. In that clip the kids look wildly miserable so I’m still going to say they probably were not vaccinated against chickenpox.

”Two doses of the chickenpox vaccine is more than 90% effective at preventing chickenpox. When you get vaccinated, you protect yourself and others in your family and community. This protection is especially important for people who cannot get vaccinated, such as those with weakened immune systems, or pregnant women.

Some people who are vaccinated against chickenpox may still get the disease. However, the symptoms are usually milder with fewer or no blisters (they may have just red spots) and mild or no fever. The risk of getting chickenpox after two doses of chickenpox vaccine is lower than after only one dose of chickenpox vaccine. Talk with your healthcare provider if you have questions about chickenpox vaccine.”

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

On 3/26/2020 at 1:55 AM, Someone Out There said:

I doubt that would be why.  It would be more likely that the chicken pox vaccine is a more recent vaccine so it wouldn't have been on the schedule of standard vaccines to get at the time.  I'm looking at a page that states that it has been available in Australian since 2000, so presumably it may have been in the USA around then?  It then probably wasn't added to the list of standard vaccines to get for a number of years.

It was 2010. The vaccine wasn't common at the time as it is now. It was starting to be but I don't remember finding it odd at the time. My nephew was born in 2000 and didn't receive the vaccine until my SIL requested it when he was a teen. Even people who aren't antivax questioned whether the chickenpox vaccine was necessary. Very few people know anyone who died from chickenpox.* Complications are usually in teens and adults which is why people had chicken pox parties to ensure that kids got it when they were young. I don't think that not receiving a chicken pox vaccine prior to 2010 can be used as proof that they don't vaccinate. Not getting their MMR, yes.

*Yes, I realize that people do die from chicken pox. My sibling has a spouse who lost an older sibling who was in their teens when they contracted chicken pox and it was a reaction to taking aspirin not knowing they had been exposed to chicken pox.

• Upvote 3

@nolongerIFBx Complications include the risk shingles later in life, as well. Shingles are nasty. I’m still dealing with the neuropathy from an outbreak 2.5 years ago.

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 5

Didn't Jim Bob tell them that they couldn't get shingles since they've had chicken pox? The ignorance is scary.

• Upvote 10

6 hours ago, Knight of Ni said:

Didn't Jim Bob tell them that they couldn't get shingles since they've had chicken pox? The ignorance is scary.

...I wonder which kid is gonna be the first to find out that was untrue. 

That said I still don't think it was intentional anti-vax stuff, as @nolongerIFBx said it wasn't a super common vax at the time, and I really do think a lot of it was just them having too many kids to keep track of past the first year so any vax after that was maybe done if a kid was in the ER and a doctor noticed "Hey x is missing this" and if that had two doses good luck.

• Upvote 2

There was a good chunk of time where I personally was confused about whether having chicken pox meant I was more susceptible or immune to shingles. I'd look it up, get clear on it and then I'd forget what I'd read about it and be confused again. Idk why. Misinformation existing probably. I wish it was the immune one, but alas. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 5

15 hours ago, Knight of Ni said:

I thought this for many years. I think it’s only been in the last couple years that I found out I was wrong. 

4 hours ago, Giraffe said:

I thought this for many years. I think it’s only been in the last couple years that I found out I was wrong. 

I thought that until I just read it here.  TIL.

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

My brother and my dad have had shingles. I'm hoping I never get it. My dad says he's not sure what he would say hurts worse, shingles or tearing his rotator cuff. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1

I have a client she got the shingles in December of 2018.  She was in so much pain, & she has had several other medical issues over the years but she said the shingles was the worst pain ever. 

Edited by Jana814
  • Upvote 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I thought that until I just read it here.  TIL.

I’m about the same vintage as JB and I thought the same until a few years ago when I had to sign off for a shingles vaccine for my mum and the doctor explained having chicken pox didn’t make you immune. 

• Thank You 1

3 minutes ago, Jana814 said:

I have a client she got the shingles in December of 2018.  She was in so much pain, & she has had several other medical issues over the years but she said the shingles was the worst pain ever. 

My mom said the same and she had a REALLY high pain tolerance so shingles is scary af to me.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

I’m pretty sure TLC didn’t let it air without correcting it. Either someone contradicted him at the time, or the producers brought it up in an interview.

I had a VERY mild case of chicken pox as a child in the 70's according to my mother. I've had a mild case of shingles (according to my doctor) but it was in MY EYE, I had 2 shingles pox (or what ever they are called) on my right eye, talk about miserable. Not only did it hurt like hell, but the weeping of my eye and my inability to do anything but lay down putting pressure on my eye for 2 weeks was awful, I couldn't read, watch TV because I couldn't see. It took a full month before my eye was almost normal, I could see well enough after 2 weeks to go back to work, but the pain was still there, I was given a lot narcotics as nerve blockers they normally give did does nothing for eye pain (or at least it didn't for mine).

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 3

• nelliebelle1197 locked, unlocked and locked this topic
  • nelliebelle1197 unlocked and locked this topic
  • nelliebelle1197 unlocked and locked this topic