IGNORED

Joe and Kendra 14: Who's Addison? They're all Becoming a Giant Blur to Me.

HerNameIsBuffy

I’ve been using reusable pads for the past seven months. I’m not 100% sold on them. They are absorbent and easy to use. But... they smell awful once you’ve used them and you’re waiting to wash them. The instructions said you did not need to wash them out or soak them after using them or before washing. Maybe it’s just me/my body but the smell is horrible. I started rinsing them out as soon as I was able & then soaking them in cold water and detergent until I was ready to wash them. I also add Borax to the wash to help get rid of the stink. This last cycle, I only used the reusable pads three times because I didn’t want to deal with the smell. The pads I purchased can be dried in the dryer, you just can’t use dryer sheets. I found these on Amazon & you get six pads with a carrying bag. The brand name is Wegreeco. 

@divadivine, There are many times with the cloth pads I need to change them more often because of comfort rather than because they’re full. I always soak mine, regardless of the instructions. I watched a YouTube video a woman did where she puts all of them in a wet bag until the end of her cycle and only then does she finally soak them. If I did that with mine I’d throw them out because they’d be awful by then!

I usually get a soaking container and fill it with fresh water once a day and put the days’ pads in there. If I’m out I have a wet bag I keep them in - but ONLY until I get home that day, never any longer. I soak them until the next day, change the water, and go again. If it’s a heavy day I’ll put a small amount of white vinegar in the water. 

• Upvote 2

I'm always interested in finding new ways to deal with the period, and I usually prefer the pads that feel like cotton (they was the kind with what I started the bulky one, not the tiny one we see today) so my ask is where do you find cloth pads? And how do you keep them to stay in place? I guess they don't have the "glue" thing the disposable have right? And how do you know what kind to buy? I mean I guess there are many kinds like for the disposable one? Thanks for the answers (I feel like there are other things I want to ask but it's 22.30 here and in the past nights I haven't slept much thanks to the heat so feel free to write more info if you see I forget something) 

Edited by Italiangirl

All this talk of the variety of pads has reminded me how very, very grateful I am that those days are well behind me. One of the benefits of growing older.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 11

Before I got pregnant, I used a cup. I’m still awaiting my first postpartum cycle and, since I don’t know if things will change, haven’t made any concrete purchases like period panties/a new cup/cloth pads, etc. 

2 hours ago, Not that josh's mom said:

All this talk of the variety of pads has reminded me how very, very grateful I am that those days are well behind me. One of the benefits of growing older.

Generally speaking, having a hysterectomy at 28 sucked all the way around.  But, this conversation is making me hate it just a tiny bit less!

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 13

On 8/21/2020 at 10:17 AM, Grace said:

Cloth now is WAY easier than it was 58 or even 20-30 years ago. I have and do use both but I much prefer cloth for a lot of reasons.

How about we not mom-shame and just say both are fine. Not everyone can deal with cloth--you cannot take them to all laudrymats, for example. Yes, you could {as my friend did as a 70's Army wife] wash them by hand. Few, if any moms will do that. It's ok if cloth is great for you. It's ok if Pampers are great for another Mom. Yes, cloth diapers have improved. But poop hasn't! Some people just cannot stomach dealing with cloth. Better a happy, healthy baby. Same with breast feeding. It's fabulous if its what you want, if you cannot do it with your job or your kid is not thriving [as my great-nephew did] then a bottle and formula is great. Mom's must be free to do what is best for their child. I'm glad you are willing to help other Moms discover that cloth isn't too bad. Maybe more will try them. That's good!

On 8/21/2020 at 12:01 PM, nausicaa said:

Is there a study anywhere of cloth doing the same amount of harm as disposable diapers? It was my understanding that disposable is really terrible for the environment. (Not getting on anyone for wanting the convenience of disposable.)

I do use washable sanitary napkins and it's not a big deal. It's just my own blood and no one else ever handles them. I've used them for over a decade now and just pre-wash them when I'm showering and then toss them in a hot load with my other clothes. 

There was a study  in the early 90s that showed chemicals in the laundry detergent did harm. It also said cloth used more water than normal wash due to rinsing etc. The big deal with cloth is if you cannot do laundry at home you can be shut out. Many laundry mats, even in apt complexes, do NOT allow washing them. It's too bad, but there you have it. As another poster said, they ARE way better today. But not if you can't wash them any way but by hand in your bathtub or shower stall. It's ok for Moms to choose what works for them.

Edited by IReallyAmHopewell
typo
  • Upvote 2
  • Fuck You 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Confused 3
  • WTF 1
  • I Agree 2

34 minutes ago, IReallyAmHopewell said:

It's ok for Moms to choose what works for them.

I never said it wasn't? Just was asking for a link to where it was shown cloth was as bad as disposable for the environment since I couldn't find anything myself. 

Didn't see anyone here mom shaming either, but interpretations may vary I guess. I don't think saying "I like this way of doing things and it's better for the environment to boot" is shaming anyone. 

• Upvote 17
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 1

1 hour ago, IReallyAmHopewell said:

How about we not mom-shame and just say both are fine. Not everyone can deal with cloth--you cannot take them to all laudrymats, for example. Yes, you could {as my friend did as a 70's Army wife] wash them by hand. Few, if any moms will do that. It's ok if cloth is great for you. It's ok if Pampers are great for another Mom. Yes, cloth diapers have improved. But poop hasn't! Some people just cannot stomach dealing with cloth. Better a happy, healthy baby. Same with breast feeding. It's fabulous if its what you want, if you cannot do it with your job or your kid is not thriving [as my great-nephew did] then a bottle and formula is great. Mom's must be free to do what is best for their child. I'm glad you are willing to help other Moms discover that cloth isn't too bad. Maybe more will try them. That's good!

There was a study  in the early 90s that showed chemicals in the laundry detergent did harm. It also said cloth used more water than normal wash due to rinsing etc. The big deal with cloth is if you cannot do laundry at home you can be shut out. Many laundry mats, even in apt complexes, do NOT allow washing them. It's too bad, but there you have it. As another poster said, they ARE way better today. But not if you can't wash them any way but by hand in your bathtub or shower stall. It's ok for Moms to choose what works for them.

I am not mom shaming ?

It is objectively easier to cloth diaper now than it used to be. That statement doesn't hold any judgement about how people choose to catch their kid's poop. My family who cloth diapered when I was a baby and before all said I was crazy and that I'd never be able to keep it up because it was such a huge pain. Until they saw what is available now. I was merely pointing out that the process has changed a lot because not everyone has a reason to know that.

Just because it's easier to cloth diaper now than it used to be doesn't mean everyone should do it though. I have a cousin who is a Homeschooling Homesteader who grows or hunts all her own food. Her well water is so hard it's pretty much impossible for her to cloth diaper....so she doesn't. 

I have another cousin who used flats and covers that she washed in a freaking hand tumbling washing machine because they didn't have a washer in their rental. No way in hell I would do that.

Also..did you miss the part where I literally said that I use both?

Edited by Grace
  • Upvote 16

I am willing to shame people who have an uncontrolled numbers of  kids, and use paper diapers ( and disposable dishes, at every meal), while simultaneously making money by screaming about and selling their frugal lifestyle, YES, I will shame these folks!!!

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 6
  • Love 2

@Italiangirl, my number one complaint about cloth pads is that they move if I’m active. All the ones I’ve used have wings that snap together.  I was annoyed at the movement and that  was how I found period underwear (Thinx here, too). I wore the cloth with the Thinx when I was going to be active and when my flow would be too heavy for Thinx alone. Once I found a cup that worked for me it solved the movement frustration. I also use the performa nighttime pads from Aisle - they’re thin* and much longer so even when they shift it still provides enough coverage. 

*thin for reusables. I’ve worn other nighttime reusables that I wouldn’t wear out of the house because they’re too thick. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 2

I’ve not had a period since move 2016 due to pregnancies and hormone issues but once I’m done breastfeeding this round I’ve been interested in the cup. I’m scared it will get stuck though, I know it’s ridiculous lol 

• I Agree 1

I’ve been using cloth pads for probably 15 years now. But, I once I went back to work, I found it more practical to use disposables at work (ie. I’m not keen on carrying around used cloth pads in my bag) and cloth at home. 

With cloth diapers, I used them for my first two babies (a mix of cotton prefolds and bamboo fitteds, with merino wool covers), but my third baby was a cloth-diapering nightmare: every time he pooped, it would explode out the top and down his legs, and he was also a heavy wetter. I had my own laundry room meltdown when he was 6 months old, which culminated in me selling off the entire stash (for a tidy sum) and switching over to disposables.

Honestly, I found disposable diapers to be life-changing, as corny as that sounds. My youngest was such a challenging baby, I just need something, anything, to lighten the load. The week I switch to disposables, it really hit home how much laundry that messy little baby generated: every single day I had to wash 2-3 loads of just his stuff. 

• Upvote 5
  • Love 3

3 hours ago, IReallyAmHopewell said:

Okay i'm confused how was the comment that Cloth is easier now then it was decades ago mom shaming? It's simply stating a fact that cloth diapering has gotten easier over the years? Is it mom shaming to state "Oh laundry is easier now then it was x years ago"? or "Making food has gotten so much easier because of x development"? 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 1

2 hours ago, Denim Jumper said:

I’ve been using cloth pads for probably 15 years now. But, I once I went back to work, I found it more practical to use disposables at work (ie. I’m not keen on carrying around used cloth pads in my bag) and cloth at home. 

With cloth diapers, I used them for my first two babies (a mix of cotton prefolds and bamboo fitteds, with merino wool covers), but my third baby was a cloth-diapering nightmare: every time he pooped, it would explode out the top and down his legs, and he was also a heavy wetter. I had my own laundry room meltdown when he was 6 months old, which culminated in me selling off the entire stash (for a tidy sum) and switching over to disposables.

Honestly, I found disposable diapers to be life-changing, as corny as that sounds. My youngest was such a challenging baby, I just need something, anything, to lighten the load. The week I switch to disposables, it really hit home how much laundry that messy little baby generated: every single day I had to wash 2-3 loads of just his stuff. 

That honestly sounds like a nightmare. I probably would have swapped too. For us, we only ever had diaper blowouts when we used disposables. The only time anything ever leaked was when he was in newborn cloth diapers— but there disposables leaked too. He was teensy tiny (So sizing up wasn’t an option) but producing insane amounts of pee. 

• I Agree 1
  • Love 1

13 hours ago, Denim Jumper said:

Kids shapes are so different. We almost never had a blowout with cloth but poop went everywhere if we used disposables in the first 6 months or so. I finally started putting a cloth cover over the disposables to save the outfits when we traveled

35 minutes ago, Grace said:

Kids shapes are so different. We almost never had a blowout with cloth but poop went everywhere if we used disposables in the first 6 months or so. I finally started putting a cloth cover over the disposables to save the outfits when we traveled

Same here. I remember deciding to give myself a holiday (vacation) from cloth at one point, thinking it was all too much work. Bought a pack of pampers, and every single shit she did went straight up the back (why is there no elastic at the back??) and all over clothes. So a bath and a change of clothes it would be.... I think I lasted 2 days before going back to my cloth nappies!! Alas, both my kids grew out of cloth before they learned to use the toilet, so we did use disposables for a bit when they were older, but I used to wince at how much trash we were putting out for collection. 

1 hour ago, bal maiden said:

Same here. I remember deciding to give myself a holiday (vacation) from cloth at one point, thinking it was all too much work. Bought a pack of pampers, and every single shit she did went straight up the back (why is there no elastic at the back??) and all over clothes. So a bath and a change of clothes it would be.... I think I lasted 2 days before going back to my cloth nappies!! Alas, both my kids grew out of cloth before they learned to use the toilet, so we did use disposables for a bit when they were older, but I used to wince at how much trash we were putting out for collection. 

I hate pampers more than anyone should hate a diaper ? i do love huggies though. I was a nanny 7 years and did cloth diapers laundry the while time so when I had my own I just was so sick of it plus I get some really rocking PPD so I went with disposable 

• Upvote 2

I don’t think any study will deny that reusable products (be it diapers, menstruation products, or whatever) are better for the environment. I also think we all know that. Same goes for many other things. Using your car less, don’t fly and especially don’t go on a cruise (your carbon footprint will never recover), eat less meat, eat with the season/no food with long travel ways, don’t buy new tech if the old one is actually fine, don’t declutter and then buy tons of new (plastic storage) things. And and and
But I think we all know that people cut corners all the time. That following all this all the way is taking away amenities. It sometimes means sacrificing. And the majority will find enough excuses while they cannot sacrifice. Cities not build for biking are no excuses not to make it happen. Maybe eating regional and seasonal products mean you have just a handful of meal options for weeks/months. Only spending your holidays close by (if you don’t hike or bike for long ways) is not what gets people crazy. 
So, if someone uses bleached tampons or disposable diapers - who are we to judge? They might still be better then we are because they have cut out other things. Maybe with even more impact. I definitely am guilty though of being judgmental about things I feel are a no brainer. I am also guilty of going against common knowledge not to sacrifice personal comfort. But I am fine if people judge me for that.

The Duggar’s and their sheer amount of disposables definitely have a bad impact. So do their numerous cars. Their newest phones. The numerous loads of washing. The millions of paper plates. Their whole lifestyle is just not environmentally friendly in the least. And it is in the open to see. So yeah, I am fine judging away.

• Upvote 10
  • Love 2

21 hours ago, GutenbergGirl said:

Generally speaking, having a hysterectomy at 28 sucked all the way around.  But, this conversation is making me hate it just a tiny bit less!

I had one when I was 34. I agree! 

• Upvote 4

A few studies in the 90s or 00s did say disposables and reusables in the end didn't have much difference in terms of carbon footprint but since then washing machines and dryers are more energy efficient and have eco cycles, the studies also didn't take into account hang drying and that reusables can be used for multiple children. 

I try to mostly use reusable stuff when possible, though I still occasionally use disposables. I have zero issue with people using disposable plates and cups at a party but when abled bodied people use paper plates daily I cringe. The Duggar's doing it when they had an industrial dishwasher and their other kitchen had two of each appliance, assuming that included two dishwashers that is lazy. Disposable nappies is something I'd rather avoid but I am not going to judge them for that. 

• Upvote 4

On 8/22/2020 at 4:17 AM, Glasgowghirl said:

I use cloth pads and reusable period underwear some of the time and disposable pads and tampons when I am more out and about just now. I've tried a few cups and they didn't work. 

I had to get one - i think it was Luna? - labeled "sport." The others I can't get to open up after I do the z-fold and shove em in. And event that one still has to be replaced yearly or so. 

21 hours ago, Grace said:

It is objectively easier to cloth diaper now than it used to be.

I think this is is highly dependant on various factors. My mom is a cloth diaper advocate. But she lives in a place where she's able to use a diaper service, or gift a diaper service to people. She used a diaper service with me. There is no such thing in my area, and if there is, it's going to be very expensive. Not everyone has access to high quality washers and dryers, not everyone is going to know to buy a scraper, etc. Day cares don't always accept cloth diapered babies. 

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Daisy0322 said:

I’ve not had a period since move 2016 due to pregnancies and hormone issues but once I’m done breastfeeding this round I’ve been interested in the cup. I’m scared it will get stuck though, I know it’s ridiculous lol 

Cup user for more than two years here. Not gonna lie, it can get ''stuck''. What I mean by that is when you may try to remove your cup, their can be suction in your vagina. The cup is designed to open up in your vagina and suction to your vaginal walls to prevent any leaks (which is really painless when inserted well). So when it gets time to remove it, that suction CAN make it harder to do so.

While it may be scary the first time it happens, the solution is super simple. You just need to reach the base of the cup (so yes get your fingers in there... but if you chose the cup in the first place, you must be prepared for some bloody fingers, not gonna lie). Then when you can grap the base, just pinch it. Once you squeezed the base, the cup will fold on itself and this allows air to enter your vagina and ''break the seal'' that caused suction. Voilà. Whoop, removed in no time. Once you practice that a few times, you become a pro. ;)

I like the cup a lot, but I do find it harder to insert when my flow is small. It is easier for me to insert it when... hmmm it is very wet down there (sorry for the TMI). So I only use it on the heavy flow day usually. But for that day: it is super great. I love it because it makes me feel dry and clean (a rare feeling usually for me during that week). I had very rare leaks and when I did it was usually because I was busy at work and unable to empty it on time.

Edited by Vivi_music
Added something
  • Upvote 4
  • Thank You 1

24 minutes ago, Vivi_music said:

Cup user for more than two years here. Not gonna lie, it can get ''stuck''. What I mean by that is when you may try to remove your cup, their can be suction in your vagina. The cup is designed to open up in your vagina and suction to your vaginal walls to prevent any leaks (which is really painless when inserted well). So when it gets time to remove it, that suction CAN make it harder to do so.

While it may be scary the first time it happens, the solution is super simple. You just need to reach the base of the cup (so yes get your fingers in there... but if you chose the cup in the first place, you must be prepared for some bloody fingers, not gonna lie). Then when you can grap the base, just pinch it. Once you squeezed the base, the cup will fold on itself and this allows air to enter your vagina and ''break the seal'' that caused suction. Voilà. Whoop, removed in no time. Once you practice that a few times, you become a pro. ;)

I like the cup a lot, but I do find it harder to insert when my flow is small. It is easier for me to insert it when... hmmm it is very wet down there (sorry for the TMI). So I only use it on the heavy flow day usually. But for that day: it is super great. I love it because it makes me feel dry and clean (a rare feeling usually for me during that week). I had very rare leaks and when I did it was usually because I was busy at work and unable to empty it on time.

Oh man ... I’m not sure I’m ready haha but I really really appreciate the explanation. I’m currently in pelvic PT due to some shitty pregnancies and deliveries and Im ready to just grow the whole vagina away at this point 

• Love 2

On 8/22/2020 at 4:34 PM, Italiangirl said:

I'm always interested in finding new ways to deal with the period, and I usually prefer the pads that feel like cotton (they was the kind with what I started the bulky one, not the tiny one we see today) so my ask is where do you find cloth pads? And how do you keep them to stay in place? I guess they don't have the "glue" thing the disposable have right? And how do you know what kind to buy? I mean I guess there are many kinds like for the disposable one? Thanks for the answers (I feel like there are other things I want to ask but it's 22.30 here and in the past nights I haven't slept much thanks to the heat so feel free to write more info if you see I forget something) 

There are a few companies like Glad Rags, but the best ones I found are on etsy. They stay on because they have wings that snap together on the other side of the crotch of your underpants. The backs of the pads are also normally flannel to limit movement. They can still bunch a bit, but less so with the longer ones.

The pads are typically labeled for overnight, heavy flow, panty liners, et cetera like with disposable 

All this talk of reusable pads made me look up some new ones on etsy and I found one with a fabric print of hungry vampires. Obviously I have to buy it.

Edited by nausicaa
  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 6

• nelliebelle1197 locked, unlocked and locked this topic
  • nelliebelle1197 unlocked and locked this topic
  • nelliebelle1197 unlocked and locked this topic