IGNORED

Joe and Kendra 14: Who's Addison? They're all Becoming a Giant Blur to Me.

HerNameIsBuffy

19 hours ago, IReallyAmHopewell said:

Cloth and paper do about the same environmental harm. The washing detergent, etc. I cannot fault ANYONE for using disposables. Same with sanitary napkins. Yes, you can buy washables, but WHY? Babies do gross stuff! Toss it and move on. Don't become bitter doing the nasty wash. I'm 58 my Mom got up and washed diapers. She cheered for other moms when Pampers came out. LOL

Is there a study anywhere of cloth doing the same amount of harm as disposable diapers? It was my understanding that disposable is really terrible for the environment. (Not getting on anyone for wanting the convenience of disposable.)

I do use washable sanitary napkins and it's not a big deal. It's just my own blood and no one else ever handles them. I've used them for over a decade now and just pre-wash them when I'm showering and then toss them in a hot load with my other clothes. 

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 2

9 minutes ago, nausicaa said:

Is there a study anywhere of cloth doing the same amount of harm as disposable diapers? It was my understanding that disposable is really terrible for the environment. (Not getting on anyone for wanting the convenience of disposable.)

I do use washable sanitary napkins and it's not a big deal. It's just my own blood and no one else ever handles them. I've used them for over a decade now and just pre-wash them when I'm showering and then toss them in a hot load with my other clothes. 

I'm curious about this too. I also use reusable menstrual products (cup during the day, pads at home), and just the amount of garbage was noticeably smaller.  I've long maintained that if we had kids, we'd use cloth diapers. My mom's a big advocate and I'm just so grossed out by diaper mountains, and laundry is by far my most favorite chore these days. 

Here's an article that might be a good place to start. https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/why-cloth-diapers-might-not-be-the-greener-choice-after-all 

• Upvote 8

45 minutes ago, Grace said:

Hell, it's more cost effective if you use prefolds and covers with ONE kid. Plus they wash up really easy and dry fast. Flats are even cheaper and dry even faster but I never did get those. When I think about the THOUSANDS of dollars the Duggars would have saved with cloth while spouting their frugality ????

My daughter lives in So America and even she clothed diapered, and she didn’t have a dryer. My GD hated wet, cloth diapers so much, she potty trained really early. Win/win!

• Upvote 6

my mom had to cloth diaper me (well I am 47 and six months) when i was baby, she had to use 3 on me because i had a dislocated hip and apparently the 3 diapers made it better....

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, IReallyAmHopewell said:

Cloth and paper do about the same environmental harm. The washing detergent, etc. I cannot fault ANYONE for using disposables.

I disagree. I use a menstrual cup which doesn’t need to be washed in a washing machine and when I use reusables, either pads or “period underwear” (that’s made to bleed into, not underwear that has blood on it because I had a leak), I soak them ahead if time which uses water but no chemicals and then just wash them with the other clothes with my normal detergent and some vinegar. 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 2

3 hours ago, Grace said:

The manufacturing process may have about the same energy and waste levels but you're forgetting that disposable diapers take up massive levels of space in landfills (and human waste should not be in landfills anyway) and take a very very long time to break down and cloth does neither.

Cloth now is WAY easier than it was 58 or even 20-30 years ago. I have and do use both but I much prefer cloth for a lot of reasons.

Plus they can be reused on multiple children so if you have more than one kid or resell them you're reducing the manufacturing waste by a lot!

• Upvote 12
  • Love 1

I think I should probably retract my question about the cloth diapers. Who was I kidding? The Duggars are anti anything thing that requires work or a bit of effort, no matter how loudly they scream about being frugal. With all those kids, cloth diapers and ceramic dishes would have been the first step in buying used, saving the difference and frugal living, but no, that was too hard. They and their message are frauds, all around! 

Just knowing that these folks were given a platform to spew such false, fraudulent messages, and make a good deal of money in the process, really p*sses me off.

• Upvote 16

33 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

Just knowing that these folks were given a platform to spew such false, fraudulent messages, and make a good deal of money in the process, really p*sses me off.

This is America. Giving platforms to fake news is our legacy. 

• Upvote 4

23 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Oh, I'd bet money Anna is not happy about the fertility of this new challenger for the title of Michelle 2.0.

The Gladiators have entered the Pregodome

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 24

I've never used reusable pads but I do use the Thinx period panties. Holy life changer. I have a very weak stomach and they have never bothered me. I just rinse then out until the water runs clear and then then wash them in the washer (hot water) and hang to dry in the sun. You aren't suppised to dry them in the dryer but i have in a pinch.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 2

Thinx are fantastic, really convenient and honestly I can’t find any negatives except the occasional vpl with the heavy flow style.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

7 hours ago, SassyPants said:

She stated that she just wanted to have that “1 baby” experience. She also said that the first 3 years with twins are really, really hard. 

Yeah, i get that. My cousin said, rather ironically though, well, it's not like I've ever known any different. I always had two. and now I have two more. I think it is probably easier (I am not calling it easy, mind you) to go from two to four than from one to three. They never had the situation where both parents just focused on that one baby, it was always two. 

• Upvote 1

I’m so irritated that Kendra and I have something in common now. She and I were due around the same time last baby (9-10 months ago) and now we’re both pregnant again. Grrrr!!! Am I becoming a Duggar?!

I wanted to die when I found out I was pregnant again. I’ve spent so many years snarking on people getting “surprise” pregnancies like the Duggars and then of course it happens to me.

I used three methods of not 100% birth control, too, knowing each one was a little risky but figuring all 3 together would prevent a pregnancy. Apparently not.

I’m closing down the uterus after this.

Edited by tdscm
  • Upvote 4
  • Haha 8
  • Love 22

10 minutes ago, tdscm said:

I’m so irritated that Kendra and I have something in common now. She and I were due around the same time last baby (9-10 months ago) and now we’re both pregnant again. Grrrr!!! Am I becoming a Duggar?!

I wanted to die when I found out I was pregnant again. I’ve spent so many years snarking on people getting “surprise” pregnancies like the Duggars and then of course it happens to me.

I used three methods of not 100% birth control, too, knowing each one was a little risky but figuring all 3 together would prevent a pregnancy. Apparently not.

I’m closing down the uterus after this.

If it makes you feel any better, I am too! First baby born May ‘18, now second due March ‘21. I can’t imagine having a 3rd in between these ones ? My 2 year still feels like my baby. Mine weren’t “surprises” but I am shutting down my uterus after this as well, haha. At least we know our kids won’t be 1 of 15 and will get an education! 

• Upvote 9
  • Love 4

11 hours ago, Kelsey said:

I've never used reusable pads but I do use the Thinx period panties. Holy life changer. I have a very weak stomach and they have never bothered me. I just rinse then out until the water runs clear and then then wash them in the washer (hot water) and hang to dry in the sun. You aren't suppised to dry them in the dryer but i have in a pinch.

I don't have Thinx, but do have Cheekywipes period pants (underwear) and I love them for night time. I use a cup during the day. They are black so no visible blood stains. I do also use reusable pads (I didn't for years and years becuase I always hated the feeling of disposable pads) I have some cheeky wipes, some random ones from Amazon and some Precious stars. With all of them, you are meant to wash on cold though, because hot water sets blood stains. And hanging to dry in the sun is ideal because it fades any stains (though most of mine are dark grey or black anyway), I have a few undyed ones and if you rinse, wash on cold and hang out there is no staining.

For those who were asking  https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/an-updated-lifecycle-assessment-for-disposable-and-reusable-nappies This is a now decades out of date report in to the environmental impact of nappies. I haven't seen a more recent one.

For disposables you don't really have control over how much impact you have (biodegradable nappies don't decompose in landfill), whereas with reusables you have to only do one of these to get the impact below disposables: wash at 60° or less; not soak the nappies before washing; line dry instead of tumble dry (this is how you are meant to deal with modern cloth nappies anyway); using an A rated washing machine or reusing nappies on one other child (or buying them second hand of course). 

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, tdscm said:

At least you have a good reason to be surprised!

So we cloth diaper for several reasons - it's more affordable in the long run (esp. If more than 1 kid), it has health benefits (can be less rashes), it is more environmentally friendly in terms of significantly less garbage in landfills, and cloth diapers are just freaking adorable and I love them so theres that. I understand there's an argument about using more water but I've seen diagrams that show that even there cloth takes less water, here's one:

Also when people talk about not having to wash poop I remind them that no matter what you have to clean baby shit off of stuff, theres really no avoiding that when you have kids. I just have to do it more.

environmental-comparison.jpg

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

19 hours ago, nausicaa said:

I used washable sanitary pads about six years ago when I was in high school and I really struggled getting them to stay in place. I haven’t used them since but I are had some really horrible reactions to disposable pads lately, so bad I could hardly walk, so I’m looking at returning to disposables.my main concern is now that I’m an active working adult (as opposed to a homeschooled high schooler who only went to school for russian class) is Taking care of the, while I’m out. Like what do you do.? Plastic bag? 

when I first used them I read you weren’t supposed to do them with regular laundry, i don’t know if it’s actually true or just something my fifteen year old brain cooked up because I was mortified at even having a period still. 

Edited by Peaches-n-Beans
  • Upvote 1

I use cloth pads and reusable period underwear some of the time and disposable pads and tampons when I am more out and about just now. I've tried a few cups and they didn't work. I wash them and hang dry them outside or on a drying rack. We rarely tumble dry. I plan on using cloth the majority of the time for having kids and I actually already own reusable baby wipes because I use them for face wipes. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Peaches-n-Beans said:

I used washable sanitary pads about six years ago when I was in high school and I really struggled getting them to stay in place. I haven’t used them since but I are had some really horrible reactions to disposable pads lately, so bad I could hardly walk, so I’m looking at returning to disposables.my main concern is now that I’m an active working adult (as opposed to a homeschooled high schooler who only went to school for russian class) is Taking care of the, while I’m out. Like what do you do.? Plastic bag? 

when I first used them I read you weren’t supposed to do them with regular laundry, i don’t know if it’s actually true or just something my fifteen year old brain cooked up because I was mortified at even having a period still. 

For out and about you can use a small wetbag, and all the cloth pads I have seen/used, can be folded and snapped together so that only the outside, clean side is showing. For getting them to stay in one place it depends on the materials of the pad and underwear and on how tight fitting underwear is. I find that the trickiest bit of using them.  They can go in your normal wash.

• Upvote 4

We use reusable menstrual products and have for years. I started about 15 years ago with some cloth pads. Now my older daughter and myself use a mix of menstrual cups, cloth pads and Thinx. I love them and I could never go back to  disposable products, we even use them when we are traveling (just give everything a really good rinse and let them dry fully and then pack in a laundry bag to wash when we are home again). My daughter does occasionally use tampons, but not regularly. 

I cloth diapered 2 out of my 3 kids. I used disposable diapers with my oldest but we had constant problems with rashes and just overall irritation. I ended up using some really natural disposable diapers that were pretty expensive. Luckily she potty trained young. I never really thought of cloth as an option with her until she was potty training and i bought some cheapy rubber pull on pants to put over her underwear when we were headed on a long flight since I was worried about an accident. When I was researching the rubber pants I came across cloth diapers. I was pregnant at the time so i bought a few to try. We tried them when my son was about 3 days old and I loved them from the start. We started with some really easy all in ones that are similar to disposables but quickly switched to old fashioned prefolds and flats. We did reuse most of them for our third baby. I just bought a few cute girly looking covers for her to wear under dresses. I have no regrets with the cloth diapers except for wishing I would have done it with my first. 

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

@Glasgowghirl, if you’ve never tried Femmycycle I recommend trying it. It’s the only cup that works for me because it's a different shape than other cups. It still might not work for you but maybe?

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

My mum had twins when I was 13 and she used cloth diapers on them and got herself and me into resusable pads.  It was no big deal.  We phased out the cloth pads when they potty trained, but I went back to cloth over the last year and I love it.  I love the fact that I don't have crinkly plastic/papery stuff against my skin and they are less bulky.

Mine don't tend to slip as long as I'm wearing proper fitting underwear - big periods pants don't work, as you need a better fit.

I won't be going back to disposables (except on holiday which I did recently and hated).

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Peaches-n-Beans said:

I have a little wet bag with a tight closure that I keep in my purse and put used pads in when I'm out. They sell them on etsy. Weirdly enough, I tend to bleed more at night, so needing to change my pad during the day doesn't happen a lot. 

If you aren't supposed to do them with regular laundry-- whoops, no one told me. I've been washing them together for years and haven't noticed any effects on either the pads or the other laundry. I do have to make sure they are really dry when they come out of the dryer though or they will smell a bit musty. 

I haven't too much of an issue with mine staying in place. If it's a heavy flow day I use the long overnight style and so shifting isn't too much of a problem. 

Not to get too into your personal business, but if you're having reactions to disposable pads and reusable don't work for you either, cotton underwear that breathes well might help a bit. 

Edited by nausicaa
  • Upvote 4

We wash our diapers on hot with an extra rinse, but hang dry. Maybe slightly more environmental impact? Not sure. We do plan to have more kids and reuse these diapers which I suspect will save us a small fortune and reduce the impact of having more than 1-2. 

• Upvote 3

• nelliebelle1197 locked, unlocked and locked this topic
  • nelliebelle1197 unlocked and locked this topic
  • nelliebelle1197 unlocked and locked this topic