IGNORED

Joe and Kendra 14: Who's Addison? They're all Becoming a Giant Blur to Me.

HerNameIsBuffy

Yay! My first thread title. In my defense they are all blurring together.  I looked at the Duggar Christmas photos and all I can think is who is that Howler? Which kid are they holding? They all look alike to me now. Except Spurgeon.  I can identify him. ?

• Upvote 9
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 6
  • Love 2

All this Childrens Hospital/PICU/ICU/NICU talk reminds me of something I saw on one of my animal groups on facebook. This person shared a childrens hospital's policy that raw fed dogs were not allowed into the therapy program due to the Salmonella risk, she was really angered by the hospitals policy preventing her dog from getting this "title".  Another person said "Oh some hospitals don't have that policy." Is that true? Are there hospitals out there willing to let dogs who carry a possible Salmonella risk (dogs can't get salmonella themselves but the bacteria can grow in their gut and be transmissible up to 6 weeks following the last raw meal) around critically ill children?

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Peaches-n-Beans said:

All this Childrens Hospital/PICU/ICU/NICU talk reminds me of something I saw on one of my animal groups on facebook. This person shared a childrens hospital's policy that raw fed dogs were not allowed into the therapy program due to the Salmonella risk, she was really angered by the hospitals policy preventing her dog from getting this "title".  Another person said "Oh some hospitals don't have that policy." Is that true? Are there hospitals out there willing to let dogs who carry a possible Salmonella risk (dogs can't get salmonella themselves but the bacteria can grow in their gut and be transmissible up to 6 weeks following the last raw meal) around critically ill children?

I'm not an expert but am taking a post grad certificate in Animal Assisted Wellness and have an interest in this type of thing. 

Quick research makes it look like overall best practice is to not have raw fed dogs engaged in therapy work for the reasons you listed (salmonella being one of the most transferable zoonoses) 

But my guess for the discrepancy would either be that the person who said it wasn't a policy was misinformed or more likely referring to a hospital that didn't have a formal guideline around it and hadn't caught up on best practices for animal assisted activities/animal assisted therapy. 

I'm a little surprised that this person was angry and am kind of happy that they won't be engaging in any type of animal assisted stuff. One of the first courses I took was animal wellness and treatment and involved weeks learning about zoonoses/disease transmission and risk management was a huge part of multiple courses. If they don't respect the risks of Animal Assisted Activities well poopoo to them.

• Upvote 15

4 hours ago, LacyMay said:

I'm not an expert but am taking a post grad certificate in Animal Assisted Wellness and have an interest in this type of thing. 

Quick research makes it look like overall best practice is to not have raw fed dogs engaged in therapy work for the reasons you listed (salmonella being one of the most transferable zoonoses) 

But my guess for the discrepancy would either be that the person who said it wasn't a policy was misinformed or more likely referring to a hospital that didn't have a formal guideline around it and hadn't caught up on best practices for animal assisted activities/animal assisted therapy. 

I'm a little surprised that this person was angry and am kind of happy that they won't be engaging in any type of animal assisted stuff. One of the first courses I took was animal wellness and treatment and involved weeks learning about zoonoses/disease transmission and risk management was a huge part of multiple courses. If they don't respect the risks of Animal Assisted Activities well poopoo to them.

Tbh, it wans't that surprising that they were angry because it seemed from their post that their entire reason for wanting their dog in therapy work was for a title. More surprising then that was all the people who agreed with them that it was a "stupid rule".

• Upvote 3

I am always happily surprised by  how varied and brilliant the collective free jinger brain is..,zoonoses !?! I learn so many interesting things on this site.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 12
  • Love 2

18 hours ago, neuroticcat said:

I am always happily surprised by  how varied and brilliant the collective free jinger brain is..,zoonoses !?! I learn so many interesting things on this site.

Oh I could talk about Zoonosis all day! It's one of my favorite albeit random topics. there's a great book by David Quammen, "Spillover" that covers them, it was my pleasure reading on vacation last year  XD

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 1

It's been the better part of a decade now, but my partner spent some time (months total) in the hospital and the first week or so of it was spent in ICU. We had no idea if he'd survive. Our Small Humans were even smaller humans then and I was so very grateful the staff broke the visiting rules for us. The official rule was no kids under 12 but they allowed our three in for a quick visit a couple of days in. Our oldest was 5 and remembers the visit, and for him it was helpful because he was convinced my DP was actually dead, and as rough as his Dads condition was at that point, he was clearly not dead. (It was a stroke so there was nothing bloody or trauma inducing about how DP looked to our kiddo). It was a very challenging time, and the kindness of the staff made it as bearable as is possible for something like that. 

• Love 45

On 1/4/2020 at 6:48 PM, Peaches-n-Beans said:

Oh I could talk about Zoonosis all day! It's one of my favorite albeit random topics. there's a great book by David Quammen, "Spillover" that covers them, it was my pleasure reading on vacation last year  XD

Great book, great author! You'd probably love to take a veterinary parasitology class, if you haven't before. 

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, JDuggs said:

The Caldwells posted a picture on Instagram of a little boy wearing glasses. I’m pretty sure it’s Garrett and not their son Isaiah.

Well, he’s their grandson, they also post about him a lot. 

I don’t think they’re his glasses though, I think they were just fooling around with someone else’s glasses 

Edited by VBOY9977
  • Upvote 1

Not sure where else to put this but what is with the not one not two but two instagram videos (and a picture) of them trying to get an IV line into Isaiah's hand? The poor kid is uncomfortable and in pain, mom is trying to comfort him, the nurse is trying to get a good stick in a tiny vein... 

And dad is sitting there filming??? 

This just makes me livid.

I had a number of blood draws and IV lines as a toddler and my mom is still traumatized by the memories of it. And this family is posting videos on social media ?? 

• Upvote 8
  • WTF 4

• 1 month later...

The most shocking moment in JoKen history has occurred. More shocking than that time we found out that John David is a pilot!

In today's instagram post, Garrett is playing at the park with.... Untied shoelaces and shoes potentially on the wrong feet. The comment section is blowing up.

Prepare yourselves for Shoelace Gate.

• Haha 18
  • Love 3

My kid preferes to wear his shoes on the wrong foot. I think he’s bonkers but there are most definitly other fights I’d rather waste my parenting energy on. Go Garrett! 

• Upvote 7

Garrett's shoes look like they're on the correct feet to me.  If they weren't...not the biggest problem to worry about in the world.

• I Agree 2

11 hours ago, Iamtheway said:

My kid preferes to wear his shoes on the wrong foot. I think he’s bonkers but there are most definitly other fights I’d rather waste my parenting energy on. Go Garrett! 

YES!!! I only point it out if he says "My shoes hurt". Well love, if you put them on the right feet, they might not. 

Shoes on the wrong feet, shirt, pants, underpants backwards - I don't care. You got dressed by yourself and it didn't involve me? YAY independence! 

• Upvote 9
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 2

Kendra’s parents continue their to prove they are morons ?‍♀️ Take a quote about politics,  from a time before doctors understood how disease was spread and use it as justification for you being selfish . Next they will be sick and grifting to cover the $15k they need for the ER visit

Spoiler

6FFB0B60-0592-4704-A8FE-FDE84B0F8F92.thumb.png.bfac3a5e5f0be2cbede8b1dca7cee275.png

• Upvote 4
  • Angry 5
  • Disgust 2
  • WTF 14

26 minutes ago, BlessingsVonFundiePants said:

Take a quote about politics,  from a time before doctors understood how disease was spread and use it as justification for you being selfish

not only are they selfish but blatantly ignorant and super racist.... 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 4

Also isn't it interesting that they'll use medical interventions for their family but if it is widespread and trying to stop the spread of a disease there is judgement casted upon all of us?! 

I hope they are finally out of my city(my very LIBERAL city) with their toxic beliefs. 

• Upvote 14
  • Love 1

I swear their youngest was just in the hospital for something. I can’t remember the problem. But they needed medical care for the baby. 

• Upvote 8

This is coming from the same folks who were handing out church brochures alleging that homosexuality doesn’t exist. Willful ignorance like this makes me angrier than almost anything. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1

32 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I swear their youngest was just in the hospital for something. I can’t remember the problem. But they needed medical care for the baby. 

Yep. And they opted not to get the recommended mri for the lump on the baby’s back ? 

• Upvote 5
  • Sad 1
  • WTF 8

• nelliebelle1197 locked, unlocked and locked this topic
  • nelliebelle1197 unlocked and locked this topic
  • nelliebelle1197 unlocked and locked this topic