IGNORED

Rusty Thomas' Daughter Dies

JermajestyDuggar

and again.... fuck Rusty and everything he says. i feel ZERO bad for him. I feel bad for the poor child who is dying and being used as a damn PAWN for his parental units' quest for fundie-fame.

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 2

I can't believe what I am reading. This 16 year old boy is dying and they are using him to be a poster child for anti abortion laws? My heart hurts for the boy who will never be a man. Poor Jeremiah. However, Rusty Thomas is a disgusting human being. My Dad is the youngest surviving child of 10 and yes, my grandmother clung to him. He was her last living baby. They lost two babies and one adult son to an accident. You don't get over the loss of a child, but it's not the time or the place. It's really not. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 9

2 hours ago, EowynW said:

They're patting themselves on the back over this, but if you actually read the article... The governor just notes that ending the legality of abortion  (not actually ending abortion, which would require good sex ed, good social support, etc) is part of the Republican Party of Texas's platform. So they used his Wish to just get the status quo. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2

My sister's school friend has a 17 year old son with terminal cancer and she has posted pictures of her son meeting various Celtic players past and present and of him with friends and a few holidays she has taken him on. She also made sure he was given all treatment available to him and his tumour shrunk more than they were expecting it to and his prognosis has improved.

Rusty should be focusing on making the most of what he can do with his son and making memories with him not giving him a to do list that furthers his agenda. Jeremiah is being used, shame on you Rusty.

• Upvote 9
  • Love 15

I have only glanced through this thread a couple of times in the past. I have a friend who worked for an abortion clinic here in New Mexico for several years. My friend and her husband moved to Texas for his job a couple of years ago. My friend now works for a Planned Parenthood office there. She was pissed about Jeremiah's wish and was raging on Facebook a couple of nights back. 

After reading more on the Thomas family, they are using Jeremiah and it pisses me off that so many people are calling Jeremiah's wish selfless. 

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 1

I'm trying to hold on to some empathy for Jeremiah's parents, even though Rusty is making it hard. I'm trying to see his constant anti-abortion posts as the raging of a man who is impotent against his own child's imminent death. His need for control, his illusions of control, are being shattered around him, and he is doubling down on trying to control others. It's like watching an implosion. 

His actions cannot be excused. He is wrong. He is hurting other people with his actions. But he's delusional if he thinks that the death of his son is going to make abortion illegal. He has set Jeremiah up as a kind of Messiah figure, instead of one more kid fighting cancer.

I hope Jeremiah's not in pain. I hope he's able to spend time with his family.   

• Upvote 15
  • Love 5

Technically, as Jeremiah is 16, he could try to become an emancipated minor if he wished to seek treatment. I'm sure a lawyer would be willing to take this pro-bono, and he'd be able to get treatment at a nonprofit such as St. Jude's. However, he has osteosarcoma, which the first step is usually amputation of affected tumor, as usually osteosarcoma attaches to an arm or leg. Poor Jeremiah has it in his chest. There tends to be a 10-20% survival rate with what he has, and that's with aggressive chemo and radiation. If he chooses not to go through that and chooses to go a palliative care route, I support that. Cancer is difficult. Especially when you are not looking at a good survival rate. However, the heat therapy is bullpoop. It'll do nothing but dehydrate him, which is never a good idea. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 3

US News and World Report ranked MD Anderson Hospital, where Jeremiah is (was?) being treated, as the best cancer hospital in the nation, so I don't think he's getting sub-optimal care or bad advice about treatment options or lack of them. At this point it seems there are simply no other alternatives for treatment.  And cancer is like that.  I've been through it with several family members, and a friend is at this exact point. 

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 6

In a lot of ways, this is why I hate the "God has a plan" mentality. It makes people think there must be some greater purpose behind a kid dying of cancer, instead of accepting that sometimes the odds aren't in your favor and bad shit happens. So if Jeremiah dies, it's because God is using him to end abortion and it becomes more about the mission than the kid. 

• Upvote 20
  • Sad 1
  • Love 1

13 hours ago, CancerBomb said:

Technically, as Jeremiah is 16, he could try to become an emancipated minor if he wished to seek treatment. I'm sure a lawyer would be willing to take this pro-bono, and he'd be able to get treatment at a nonprofit such as St. Jude's. However, he has osteosarcoma, which the first step is usually amputation of affected tumor, as usually osteosarcoma attaches to an arm or leg. Poor Jeremiah has it in his chest. There tends to be a 10-20% survival rate with what he has, and that's with aggressive chemo and radiation. 

Jeremiah is completely brainwashed, but even with that said, the title of this thread is a little misleading.  They've tried all sorts of treatment with him and he's steadily gotten worse.  My understanding is the family has been told by reputable physicians that the situation is terminal and it's just a matter of time. 

Jeremiah's family has decided to fill his remaining days with anti-abortion "tasks" that he's been working hard on.  Nice folks. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 2

My understanding is that he was diagnosed, given odds of maybe 10% with chemo/radiation, they opted for the Mexico clinic, Jeremiah naturally got worse, because that's what happens, they came back, then gave actual medical treatment a try, when he chances were even lower.

• Upvote 15
  • Sad 1

Did anyone else read "Jeremiah's" letter? (I'm skeptical of how much is him and how much is his dad). It really highlights how sheltered this kid was, and it makes me sad that he won't have the chance to grow and stretch beyond his upbringing. I mean, obviously, not every kid does that, but I like them to at least have the option. 

We have grown up in a culture of death, sexual confusion, immorality and fatherlessness. This culture of death I speak of consists of abortion, homosexuality and suicide. [...] More young people die from suicide than from cancer, heart disease, AIDS, birth defects, stroke, pneumonia, influenza, and chronic lung disease, combined.

This was the paragraph that made me realize this kid has been given about zero critical thinking skills and is just parroting what he's been taught. Which makes this push for him to make a mark in his father's fight even sadder. More young people die from suicide than disease and conditions of infancy and old age. Well, no kidding!

• Upvote 18

Honestly, if eradicating abortion really is a dream of Jeremiah’s I would just tell him his plea has been heard and it was overturned. He won’t know the truth and likely doesn’t get how it would actually come about anyway. Let him die thinking his dream has come true and not spend his last days stressing over it. It doesn’t hurt anyone and maybe it gives him peace. Let him then spend his remaining time enjoying time with his family. 

I have a mom that has been severely ill for over a decade. She needs 24 hour care and can’t do anything for herself. When she was still talking, she would ask if xyz came by or if I spoke with them and I would lie. I would say they came by while she  was sleeping or I spoke to them and they were coming by tomorrow or next week. She would never remember our conversation but she was happy when I told her and it made her feel so much better. For over a decade my mother has thought life has been wonderful with no problems because there is no point stressing out someone who is already going through a difficult time on a daily basis. 

• Upvote 2
  • Love 27

Ladies against Feminism is running with this story and has links to all of his fathers posts....Is that still run by the spinster sisters the Reins?

• WTF 1

36 minutes ago, socalrules said:

Honestly, if eradicating abortion really is a dream of Jeremiah’s I would just tell him his plea has been heard and it was overturned. He won’t know the truth and likely doesn’t get how it would actually come about anyway. Let him die thinking his dream has come true and not spend his last days stressing over it. It doesn’t hurt anyone and maybe it gives him peace. Let him then spend his remaining time enjoying time with his family. 

I have a mom that has been severely ill for over a decade. She needs 24 hour care and can’t do anything for herself. When she was still talking, she would ask if xyz came by or if I spoke with them and I would lie. I would say they came by while she  was sleeping or I spoke to them and they were coming by tomorrow or next week. She would never remember our conversation but she was happy when I told her and it made her feel so much better. For over a decade my mother has thought life has been wonderful with no problems because there is no point stressing out someone who is already going through a difficult time on a daily basis. 

You are so sweet to take care of your mom like that. I'm glad that she's been happy and comfortable. :changing_color_heart:

I'm horrified, by the way, that Rusty advocates the death penalty for women who have abortions. Wtf. I was reading some of his posts and it was really upsetting...and I was raised pro-life. The hatred he had for a Christian woman guarding the abortion clinic was horrible. 

I never protested or picketed at any clinics. I really never saw most of this stuff in action. But I still feel really bad for how I thought about women who had abortions and people who worked at clinics. :( I'm glad that I was finally able to understand the negative effects of being anti-choice. 

• Upvote 11
  • Love 7

Well Justice Kennedy just announced retirement, so that should make Jeremiah happy his wish could someday be true. 

• Sad 6

3 hours ago, socalrules said:

That is actually one of the sweetest things I've ever heard, the kindness you show your mother.  I'm kind of crying now.

2 hours ago, Lisafer said:

m horrified, by the way, that Rusty advocates the death penalty for women who have abortions. Wtf. I was reading some of his posts and it was really upsetting...and I was raised pro-life. The hatred he had for a Christian woman guarding the abortion clinic was horrible. 

The state governor primary was yesterday in Oklahoma.  One of the Republican candidates, Dan Fisher, had some really vile commercials against abortion.  They were really horrible, and I got the very strong feeling that he would go after the woman if there was anyway he could. Not the doctor, or not just the doctor, but that he would be very happy to prosecute any woman that had an abortion for murder.  He was third in the race so he will not be in the runoff in August, I was hoping he would be a lot further down but at least he's not going to be in the running in November.  However, he may think he made a good enough showing to try it again.

I think Rusty has been brainwashed thoroughly by his father.

• Sad 5

Mariah Campana is visiting. It will probably be the last time she gets to see her friend. 

10CD6505-02FD-4E3E-AFCB-7B55F1BCD421.jpeg

• Sad 9

15 hours ago, Briefly said:

The state governor primary was yesterday in Oklahoma.  One of the Republican candidates, Dan Fisher, had some really vile commercials against abortion.  They were really horrible, and I got the very strong feeling that he would go after the woman if there was anyway he could.

With Justice Kennedy gone, kiss Roe v. Wade goodbye and in states like Oklahoma and Texas I would expect abortion to be outlawed. Depending on how extreme the kooks in charge of a particular state are, I would  expect women as well as their doctors to be charged with murder regardless of the circumstances of an abortion.  

• Upvote 4
  • Sad 2
  • I Agree 2

Fuck this kids parents! Damn them straight to hell. This kid has tasks before he can die?! Fuck that. This makes me so ragey I can’t even think straight! 

• Upvote 9
  • Love 9

1 hour ago, JenniferJuniper said:

With Justice Kennedy gone, kiss Roe v. Wade goodbye and in states like Oklahoma and Texas I would expect abortion to be outlawed. Depending on how extreme the kooks in charge of a particular state are, I would  expect women as well as their doctors to be charged with murder regardless of the circumstances of an abortion.  

it's getting to be a dangerous time for women. :-/ 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 9

... and death penalty for abortion doesn‘t seem so unthinkable anymore [emoji35][emoji20]

While I totally get a fathers try to cope with his dying son this is just too much. Let the poor guy decide what he wants to do with his last days and what gives him comfort.

• Upvote 9

8 hours ago, JenniferJuniper said:

I was very dismayed to hear that the idiot (as we refer to the current occupant of the White House) gets to pick the next Supreme Court Judge.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 2