IGNORED

Rusty Thomas' Daughter Dies

JermajestyDuggar

Terrie

Looks like the objection was to what they would have to do to qualify for Medicaid. http://web-extract.constantcontact.com/v1/social_annotation?permalink_uri=2rYNswT&image_url=https%3A%2F%2Fmlsvc01-prod.s3.amazonaws.com%2F4e1eddb9001%2F1bb985f0-d353-4f77-a8d7-9e48acc8a765.jpg%3Fver%3D1522966383000

Of course, none of this would be an issue if they had real insurance. ... We need a side-eye emoji.

• Upvote 2
  • Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JermajestyDuggar

• Howl

• Briefly

• Terrie

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It looks like Cassia’s husband Robbie is not doing well and they think he will pass away soon. I feel bad for all the children in that family who have lost a parent. 

Charity passed away this morning, according to Josiah’s Instagram. 

He's on hospice  It looks like people have donated fairly generously to them and while I do not like Rusty's ministry/messages, I'm glad people have donated to Cassia, Robby, and their kiddos so they

Posted Images

Sobeknofret

To save my son, there is nothing, and I mean NOTHINGI would not do. I cannot understand why the Thomases do not feel the same way. I would undergo the most humiliating of humiliations to save his life, and accepting or applying for Medicare does not even rank up there as the slightest of inconveniences to me.

• Upvote 10
  • Love 6
WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo?
40 minutes ago, Terrie said:

We need a side-eye emoji.

These kind of work. :my_confused: :my_dodgy: :NAWAK: :pb_confused: :tw_unamused: <_< 

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 4
NachosFlandersStyle

I really wonder what the issue is. The gofundme account was not set up by the Thomas family, so it may not be counted as household income. Even still, the income cutoff for a child from a family of 15 to qualify for Medicaid in TX should be nearly twice the amount they've raised so far (if my math and my understanding of the HHS website is correct). I wonder how much Rusty is making through his ministry? And yeah, what on earth would be the moral objection to moving those funds into a trust?

• Upvote 6
JermajestyDuggar
58 minutes ago, NachosFlandersStyle said:

I really wonder what the issue is. The gofundme account was not set up by the Thomas family, so it may not be counted as household income. Even still, the income cutoff for a child from a family of 15 to qualify for Medicaid in TX should be nearly twice the amount they've raised so far (if my math and my understanding of the HHS website is correct). I wonder how much Rusty is making through his ministry? And yeah, what on earth would be the moral objection to moving those funds into a trust?

Some of the children are grown so they don’t have a family of 15 at home. I’ll try to do my best explaining what I know about the makeup of the family. 

Rusty’s 4 oldest daughters are from his first marriage. I don’t know if his first wife died or they divorced. The rest of the children are from Rusty and Kendra. Some of the oldest ones are adults. 2 adult sons actually got married recently. Obviously Jeremiah couldn’t attend their weddings and I honestly can’t tell if the parents did either. And then there are a few younger ones below Jeremiah. I don’t know how many. But I think a lot of the Thomas children are young adults and teens. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 1
  • Thank You 4
EowynW
3 hours ago, Terrie said:

Looks like the objection was to what they would have to do to qualify for Medicaid. http://web-extract.constantcontact.com/v1/social_annotation?permalink_uri=2rYNswT&amp;image_url=https%3A%2F%2Fmlsvc01-prod.s3.amazonaws.com%2F4e1eddb9001%2F1bb985f0-d353-4f77-a8d7-9e48acc8a765.jpg%3Fver%3D1522966383000

Of course, none of this would be an issue if they had real insurance. ... We need a side-eye emoji.

Getting good insurance is easier said than done in this country, though. Just to be fair.

are they taking him to the children's hospital? I have a cousin with brain cancer and the children's hospital in Housto already told the parents to not stress about what insurance doesn't cover, that they don't like children with cancer not get care because of the money and that they work out payment plans 

Edited by EowynW
  • Upvote 2
  • Love 5
Terrie
2 minutes ago, EowynW said:

Getting good insurance is easier said than done in this country, though. Just to be fair. 

If he tried and failed, that would be one thing. But they went with Scamaritan, because "God."

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1
EowynW
1 minute ago, Terrie said:

If he tried and failed, that would be one thing. But they went with Scamaritan, because "God."

Does scamaritan not cover his case? They did my fundie mother's uterine cancer and surgeries. 

Terrie
1 minute ago, EowynW said:

Does scamaritan not cover his case? They did my fundie mother's uterine cancer and surgeries. 

Per the link I posted, the hospital won't take it. Frankly, I can't blame them. A "sharing plan" is not insurance. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 2
seattlechic

Coming in late to this but what in the all adoring fuck??? Now the other kid quit his plans to take care of the sick brother when the dad is being such a prick? Oh hell to the no. 

**back to reading**

• WTF 1
Lisafer
1 hour ago, EowynW said:

I have a cousin with brain cancer and the children's hospital in Housto already told the parents to not stress about what insurance doesn't cover, that they don't like children with cancer not get care because of the money and that they work out payment plans 

Yeah, I agree. I'm not buying that there is NO WAY for them to make this work. The hospital would most likely work out a payment plan of some sort rather than see a child not get cancer treatment. 

I feel like there's some issue that the Thomas family is hiding from the public. I could be wrong, but the story doesn't add up. 

Hoping that Jeremiah is doing as well as possible and that the hospital will do the very best they can for him.

• Upvote 11
EowynW
Just now, Lisafer said:

Yeah, I agree. I'm not buying that there is NO WAY for them to make this work. The hospital would most likely work out a payment plan of some sort rather than see a child not get cancer treatment. 

I feel like there's some issue that the Thomas family is hiding from the public. I could be wrong, but the story doesn't add up. 

Hoping that Jeremiah is doing as well as possible and that the hospital will do the very best they can for him.

My aunt is a nurse for my area's largest children's hospital. She says they never turn away children for lack of money. 

• Upvote 13
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 1
seattlechic
5 minutes ago, Lisafer said:

Yup, I think it's a huuuuuge load of fundie bullshit.  

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2
Themanda Duggar

I’m pretty sure that a private hospital can turn someone away, as long as there’s a nearby hospital that either can’t or won’t.    If it’s the only hospital in the area, I think they have to take everyone, regardless of insurance status.  I think that public hospitals can’t legally turn people away, but don’t typically have the cutting edge treatments that private hospitals may have.  

This could be inaccurate.  I don’t remember either the source or the context of this info, I only remember the content.

• Upvote 4
Anonymousguest
1 hour ago, EowynW said:

1 hour ago, Terrie said:

Per the link I posted, the hospital won't take it. Frankly, I can't blame them. A "sharing plan" is not insurance. 

It's not considered insurance, it's a cost sharing plan. So the person is uninsured as far as the hospital is concerned. The member has to do everything they can to get discounts for cash patients, then they present that to the other members. It's up to the members to then decide if it should be covered. 

I have heard in other cases where the expense is expected to be very high the member is encouraged to get Medicaid. But I am sure that there is a hospital that will take an uninsured child for cancer treatment! 

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 3
Anonymousguest

How much money has been donated through the go fund me? I couldn't find it. 

They could use the money in the go fund me to pay their hospital and construction bills and then once it's gone they could apply again, right? 

• Upvote 1
JMarie
1 hour ago, Anonymousguest said:

How much money has been donated through the go fund me? I couldn't find it. 

They could use the money in the go fund me to pay their hospital and construction bills and then once it's gone they could apply again, right? 

https://www.gofundme.com/ccu35y-help-with-financial-burdens

• Thank You 2
Howl

From the MD Anderson Center Web site.

Uncompensated Care

A financial assistance program provides coverage for MD Anderson care to cancer patients who meet residency and financial eligibility requirements.

Additionally, the institution participates in the Texas Medicaid Program that provides state and federal support for certain low-income people.

The care MD Anderson provides to these patients is referred to as uncompensated care

Click on the Uncompensated Care link above; there is detailed information on that page that answers all of our questions.

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 3
  • Thank You 3
Lisafer
12 minutes ago, Howl said:

From the MD Anderson Center Web site.

Uncompensated Care

Click on the Uncompensated Care link above; there is detailed information on that page that answers all of our questions.

I think I understand most of what's on there, but what's Rusty's problem, then? Does he have a huge amount of assets besides the Gofundme? Can he not spend the Gofundme money so that his son will qualify for Medicaid? It sounds like there's a ton of options besides "Welp, we can't lie about our income to the government, so I guess my son can't get cancer treatment."

I'm still confused.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2
ViolaSebastian

This sort of situation is my professional wheelhouse. MD Anderson is not going to kick a seriously ill sixteen-year-old kid with cancer out of the hospital. Not only is it unethical, the optics of it would look terrible, and yes, most hospitals care a lot about public relations. Furthermore, if the family is so inclined, there are ways to apply for assistance from foundations and work with the hospital for financial assistance. Honestly, however, it sounds as though he may be better off at St. Jude's, given his diagnosis.

This sort of scenario is a classic example of why Samaritan is a terrible idea for replacing health insurance. Even if the hospital did accept it (which, to my understanding, it's more of a negotiate for cash and then pass the negotiated cash amount on to Samaritan subscribers), his treatment is probably going to easily top a million dollars before it's all said and done--and I just don't see anyone being able to source that kind of money from families who are already financially hard pressed. 

Edited by ViolaSebastian
  • Upvote 12
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 7
Carol

This is terrible because it's so against the laws of nature.  

It reminds me of John Shrader writing something to the effect that he knew going to Africa might be dangerous for his children and that he was prepared to acknowledge they might be leaving 1-2 behind(buried in Africa).

WTF is wrong with these people that they can't suppress their egos long enough to protect their children to the best of their ability?  Oh to be a fly on the heavenly gates when Shrader or this POS arrive and Jesus tells them to get the fuck out of there.

• Upvote 13
  • WTF 4
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 3
Howl

Let me add this:  MD Anderson deals with poor, uninsured and indigent patients on a daily, if not hourly basis.  They will NOT be asking anyone, EVER, to commit MediCaid fraud, and (IMHO) the subtext of what Rusty is saying is implying that this is the case.  "I CANNOT TELL A LIE!"  

• Upvote 19
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 3
PennySycamore

@EowynW,  here's a hug :hug4: for your cousin with brain cancer.  Brain cancer just fucking sucks!  It's a dreadful disease.  Thoughts sent up for your cousin, my sister and all who suffer from the awful disease.

• Upvote 4
  • Love 11
EowynW
9 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

@EowynW,  here's a hug :hug4: for your cousin with brain cancer.  Brain cancer just fucking sucks!  It's a dreadful disease.  Thoughts sent up for your cousin, my sister and all who suffer from the awful disease.

Thank you! He's only 8. He starts chemo today. 

• Love 22
PennySycamore

@EowynW,  I hope that your cousin and my sister are long term survivors.  My sister has already lived longer than the average like expectancy post diagnosis. 

The National Brain Tumor Society has good information about brain tumors including brain cancers.

• Upvote 4
  • Love 8