IGNORED

Rusty Thomas' Daughter Dies

JermajestyDuggar

I hope other fundies will learn from this situation. 

1) Scameritan and other similar “insurances” are complete garbage.

2) Health care is a right, not a privilege for those who can pay.

3) Medicaid isn’t so bad after all, eh?

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 14
  • I Agree 5

This situation is heartbreaking from every angle, and here I am crying for a kid I probably wouldn’t even like.  Our medical  system in the US is unconscionable.

How old is this kid?  Couldn’t he be legally emancipated, and then apply for Medicaid based on his own means?  I bet they could even get a judge to facilitate his case based on the emergency it is.

As much as I think he should have access to any treatment available, I can’t help but wonder if putting him through all of it, with the odds being what they are, is really in his best interest.  Another benefit of emancipation would be that Jeremiah would have the authority to consent to further treatment, and to tell them when to stop.

I am so sad for this child.

• Upvote 4
  • Sad 1
  • I Agree 3

I'm curious what the supposed lie is that they are so upset about. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3

If this were my son I would absolutely lie about my financial circumstances if it meant getting treatment for him.  If these self-righteous fools feel guilty about it then they can pay it forward for the rest of their lives in the form of donations to worthy causes.  Volunteer at a food bank, visit shut-ins, help their neighbors.  There are millions of people who need help.  

Do they really think god wants this young man to die rather than have them lie?  If so, WTF kind of god do they worship?! 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 10

30 minutes ago, Destiny said:

I'm curious what the supposed lie is that they are so upset about. 

Apparently the go fund me that was set up for them raised too much money for them to qualify for Medicaid.  Whoever is counseling them about the financial part of their son’s illness suggested some way to shield that money so that they would qualify.  I don’t know what was suggested, if it was legal, or what the qualifications for Medicare are.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 2

3 minutes ago, Carol said:

If this were my son I would absolutely lie about my financial circumstances if it meant getting treatment for him.  If these self-righteous fools feel guilty about it then they can pay it forward for the rest of their lives in the form of donations to worthy causes.  Volunteer at a food bank, visit shut-ins, help their neighbors.  There are millions of people who need help.  

Do they really think god wants this young man to die rather than have them lie?  If so, WTF kind of god do they worship?! 

I was thinking it too. I'm wondering what they are even talking about though, because in my vast (really nonexistent) knowledge of government programs, they take lying about your means damn seriously. Like jail seriously. I can't see anyone trying to convince you to do so. 

Just now, Themanda Duggar said:

Apparently the go fund me that was set up for them raised too much money for them to qualify for Medicaid.  Whoever is counseling them about the financial part of their son’s illness suggested some way to shield that money so that they would qualify.  I don’t know what was suggested, if it was legal, or what the qualifications for Medicare are.

That makes no sense, but okay. I'd shield, for the record. Anything to make sure my kid got treatment. 

• Upvote 8

https://specialneedsanswers.com/go-fund-me-and-other-informal-fundraising-accounts-raise-issues-for-ssi-and-medicaid-15748

Apparently Gofundmes can cause issues with Medicaid. I feel so bad for this poor kid. I don't trust a word his dad says about hospital staff or whoever telling him to "lie" about the money, though. There's probably a way to legally shelter it. His posts seem overly dramatic. 

I wonder if the dad focuses on stuff like this in order to take his mind off what his son is going through. No matter how horrible Rusty seems to be, I still feel some sympathy for a parent whose child is so ill. Although the continued anti-abortion posts make it kinda difficult...focus on your own family, Rusty.

• Upvote 5

Jeremiah is 16 and now I’m wondering how huge this go fund me is. He said the bogus Tiajuana fiasco was paid for by a private donor. This guy has a lot of children and neither of them work. They just travel around grifting money to protest abortion providers. 

• Upvote 4

I read the link. I'll bet any amount of money someone with some knowhow is telling them to put the money in a trust, and he's considering that lying.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 3

On 5/1/2018 at 3:34 PM, JermajestyDuggar said:

http://web-extract.constantcontact.com/v1/social_annotation?permalink_uri=2JF3u6s&image_url=https%3A%2F%2Fmlsvc01-prod.s3.amazonaws.com%2F4e1eddb9001%2F662863a8-acbd-4ca5-9e9d-5229d28f0ef4.jpg%3Fver%3D1525190526000

Update on Jeremiah.

I admit I’m totally Monday morning quarterbacking here but I really wish they would have just stayed put at the children’s hospital in the first place and did the chemo. Instead of wasting time in Tiajuana. I know things make more sense with hindsight but man, this is exactly why I hate that weird holistic cancer treatment  woo. Because it wastes time. Jeremiah wants to keep fighting so he’s going back to Texas and going to try chemo and possibly surgery after that. If he makes it that far :(

I really wish more people understood that alternative treatments are called alternative because it’s not scientifically proven to have any effect. I guess I’m biased because I grew up in a family of doctors. I get not doing treatment because of low survival and the brutality of chemo, but to waste time like that is just unforgivable. When cancer grows that fast every day counts. Wasting that time could have made him go from 10% chance to 5%, or even 1%.

On 5/12/2018 at 5:05 PM, JermajestyDuggar said:

Thank you Jimbo. I needed a hearty laugh this afternoon. 

I had no idea that having pro-birthers fund lust filled orgies was even an option. I’ve never had a desire to participate in one before, but I’ll reconsider if Trump supporters pay for the condoms. And hotel room.

As long as the condoms don’t say “MAGA”  on them.

On 5/13/2018 at 10:03 PM, cindyluvs24 said:

JImbo must be angry at all of those harlots having great sex. Now punish them !

If Jimbo can’t give a woman an orgasm, no woman can have an orgasm!

3 hours ago, VBOY9977 said:

How the fuck is this just not his pride? Refusing government help because you don’t like it just sounds prideful. And that pisses me off, put your damn kid first.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

Wouldn't the go fund me have paid for their existing medical bills, which would have been substantial or did Scamaritan pay for any of those? 

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Howl said:

Wouldn't the go fund me have paid for their existing medical bills, which would have been substantial or did Scamaritan pay for any of those? 

Good point! If they reduced the donation money to zero by paying existing bills, Jeremiah should qualify for Medicaid at that point.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

2 hours ago, Themanda Duggar said:

This situation is heartbreaking from every angle, and here I am crying for a kid I probably wouldn’t even like.  Our medical  system in the US is unconscionable.

How old is this kid?  Couldn’t he be legally emancipated, and then apply for Medicaid based on his own means?  I bet they could even get a judge to facilitate his case based on the emergency it is.

As much as I think he should have access to any treatment available, I can’t help but wonder if putting him through all of it, with the odds being what they are, is really in his best interest.  Another benefit of emancipation would be that Jeremiah would have the authority to consent to further treatment, and to tell them when to stop.

I am so sad for this child.

He probably could be legally emancipated, but I would think that he is probably unaware of that, considering how unwordle and uneducated most fundy children seem to be.

• Upvote 5

39 minutes ago, Howl said:

Scamerican doesn’t pay for shit and they know it. That’s what they should be upset about. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 3

3 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Scamerican doesn’t pay for shit and they know it. That’s what they should be upset about. 

Where does the money that people put into Scamerican go? Is some dude out there just getting rich?

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Themanda Duggar said:

Then they should use the gofundme $$ to pay for his medical care until that money runs out  (In the case of cancer treatment that should be a matter of days). Then apply for Medicaid. No lying necessary.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 4

59 minutes ago, HarryPotterFan said:

Where does the money that people put into Scamerican go? Is some dude out there just getting rich?

I found a thread on it:  

It’s really different from insurance. It’s not insurance at all. I’ve been told that they cover homebirths completely. But they don’t cover any pre existing conditions or birth control. They don’t cover a lot of things actually. And they need to know a huge amount of info about you. I would never waste my money on that scam. 

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 4

1 hour ago, HarryPotterFan said:

I'm not sure. They did cover my fundie mother's emergency hysterectomy & brief uterine cancer scare + all follow up scans and visits.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

2 hours ago, Lisafer said:

Good point! If they reduced the donation money to zero by paying existing bills, Jeremiah should qualify for Medicaid at that point.

https://www.gofundme.com/ccu35y-help-with-financial-burdens

There's only 73K raised so far.  That's not even enough to pay off bills from one of the three hospitals he's been an inpatient at.  And then there'd be no problem qualifying for Medicaid.

• Upvote 10

It really makes me wonder if they are trying to hide something else. It just doesn’t make sense that the GFM would cause this much of a problem. 

• I Agree 7

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

It really makes me wonder if they are trying to hide something else. It just doesn’t make sense that the GFM would cause this much of a problem. 

Yes, it did cross my mind that they are afraid to come to the attention of the IRS, and don't discount the extent to which these people HATE the government.  Also, do a little google on crowdfunding and the IRS; it's a hella murky gray zone in the tax code.  Here's one article about someone that DID get a massive tax bill over funds crowd sourced for her medical bills, but first note that this was written in 2015; don't know if tax law has been updated: Cancer survivor gets $19,000 tax bill for GoFundMe donations

And here's what GoFundMe has to say: GoFundMe Donations and Income Taxes

Donations made to GoFundMe campaigns are usually considered to be "personal gifts" which, for the most part, aren’t taxed as income in the US. 

However, there may be particular case-specific instances where the income is in fact taxable (depending on amounts received, use of the funds, etc.), so we recommend that you maintain adequate records of donations received and consult a tax professional to be sure. GoFundMe will not report your donations as income at the end of the year, or issue any tax documents. Because everyone's situation is different and tax rules can change from time to time, we’re unable to give any tax advice.

For information about tax deductibility and Gift Aid for donors, please click here. 

If you have any questions about this, please contact our team. 

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 2
  • Thank You 3

12 hours ago, Howl said:

don't discount the extent to which these people HATE the government.

Maybe I’m an asshole for thinking this, but I don’t give a flying fuck how much they hate the government. Their love for their child should be more powerful than hate. Their hate is making them refuse aid for their child, therefore their hate gives their child no chance at survival.

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 6

I doubt that MD Anderson would deny care to their son, who, I'm assuming, is still hospitalized there while undergoing treatment for his cancer. 

The sane thing to do is apply for MediCaid and let the chips fall where they may.  They are eligible MediCaid or they are not.

Relatives have gotten treatment at MD Anderson.  There is a very coordinated team approach to care, which I'm sure involves social workers who will help find resources and guide families through the process of applying for MediCaid. They aren't the only people in this situation. 

• Upvote 8
  • Love 1

On 5/20/2018 at 6:14 PM, HarryPotterFan said:

I had no idea that having pro-birthers fund lust filled orgies was even an option. I’ve never had a desire to participate in one before, but I’ll reconsider if Trump supporters pay for the condoms. And hotel room.

As long as the condoms don’t say “MAGA”  on them.

Re: the bolded.

Eeeeewwwww!!!!! :brainbleach: :eyewash:

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 3