IGNORED

Joy & Austin 30: Who Needs Fire Safety when You Have Jesus?

HerNameIsBuffy

Plus Jill and Jessa ending up in hospital anyway twice? each. Is it only Henry out of all her sisters' children who's been born at home without Mum or baby having to be transferred to hospital? Those aren't great odds. Even Michelle only had two homebirths I think, plus this would be a VBAC for Joy wouldn't it? Would she even be considered a good candidate for homebirth? I think Jinger had the right of it - even if you have good reasons to prefer homebirths or a birthing centre, clearly the Duggar girls tend to have big babies that seem to be more safely/easily dealt with in a hospital setting.

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 3

Any decent midwife will not allow for a home VBAC, there is too much risk. And Joy's history, this pregnancy is most likely considered high risk, because of the late term miscarriage & this is her 3rd pregnancy in 3 years. 

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 1

I watched the video where she packs her hospital bag and like someone mentioned earlier it truly was riveting. 

What stood out though was that she packed not one, not two, not three but four bow/flower headbands. 

How long does she plan to stay in the hospital? How many bows are needed? Surely she will have priorities other than the regular changing of the headband? 

I'm really happy that she's going the hospital birth route and agree that seeing Kendra, Lauren, Abby and Jinger all have hospital births (or birth center for Jinger) likely helped.

Before this latest crop of babies Anna had started and kept the trend of home births. Now Hospital births seem to be (thankfully) becoming more "normal" for the Duggar daughters and inlaws. 

• Upvote 21
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

She sounded indecisive and I thought she was packing multiple outfits/wraps etc because she wasn't sure what 'going home' outfit she wanted for the baby.  This is, after all, Joy who was indecisive about her wedding dress and left a lot up to what she thought Austin wanted.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 3

29 minutes ago, clueliss said:

She sounded indecisive and I thought she was packing multiple outfits/wraps etc because she wasn't sure what 'going home' outfit she wanted for the baby.  This is, after all, Joy who was indecisive about her wedding dress and left a lot up to what she thought Austin wanted.

Agreed. I think Joy is really not into fashion, just wants something cute/pretty but dithers in deciding what that might be. I get it. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 5

Dumbest thing that stuck with me from the video - why didnt she cut up Gideon's spaghetti?  Poor kid was hungry and trying to fight with those long pieces of spaghetti. Did anyone else notice that or am I totally weird?

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 3

3 hours ago, clueliss said:

To be fair, she was indecisive because she isn't sure how much the baby will weight once she is born. She said that Gideon skipped newborn clothes and went straight to 0-3 months clothes. So, it makes sense for her being unsure of what clothes to pack if the baby might be bigger than average. Wouldn't want to pack clothes that she might not even be able to wear. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 4
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, Not that josh's mom said:

Dumbest thing that stuck with me from the video - why didnt she cut up Gideon's spaghetti?  Poor kid was hungry and trying to fight with those long pieces of spaghetti. Did anyone else notice that or am I totally weird?

I thin it is easier to deal with the long pieces, I started out cutting up the spaghetti but then stopped when I discovered how much easier it was for them to eat it as it is, at least at Gideon's age anyway.  

• Upvote 4

I will admit I brought multiple outfits for my daughter too. I wasn't sure how big she was going to be so I brought NB, 0-3 and 3M choices. I make big babies too. My son was 9lbs 9oz at 40.6wks and my daughter was 8lbs 10oz at 39wks. 

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Not that josh's mom said:

Here usually you don't cut spaghetti even for a child Gideon's age, you could put fewer in his plates and teach him to roll them around the fork, but you don't cut it unless you want more mess and the kid expressly asks because he wants it cut 

• Upvote 6
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, Italiangirl said:

Here usually you don't cut spaghetti even for a child Gideon's age, you could put fewer in his plates and teach him to roll them around the fork, but you don't cut it unless you want more mess and the kid expressly asks because he wants it cut 

I still can't twill my spaghetti! So I didn't think of that.  I just wanted poor Gideon to get more in his mouth.

• Upvote 1

On 7/20/2020 at 11:55 AM, TuringMachine said:

But don't worry, she's still going to a chiropractor! :pb_rollseyes: I looked up the "technique" she mentioned. As expected, it's all woo

Please don't take the baby to a chiropractor after she's born Joy.

I’ve noticed that fundies love chiropractors. Can anyone explain this? I have absolutely no idea why this is trendy amongst them.  I’ve got very little experience, only having been to one chiropractor for one issue, and got referred back to an orthopedic doctor. 

• Upvote 6

22 minutes ago, SunnySide said:

I’ve noticed that fundies love chiropractors. Can anyone explain this? I have absolutely no idea why this is trendy amongst them.  I’ve got very little experience, only having been to one chiropractor for one issue, and got referred back to an orthopedic doctor. 

I don’t know about fundies. But in my crunchy liberal county they are very popular with ... well...everyone. Hippies, corporate types, techies, ag workers. ...

• Upvote 6

13 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Any decent midwife will not allow for a home VBAC, there is too much risk. And Joy's history, this pregnancy is most likely considered high risk, because of the late term miscarriage & this is her 3rd pregnancy in 3 years. 

It's illegal in Arkansas for a midwife to be the provider for a VBAC, even in a hospital setting. Which I find a bit silly...in a hospital with the attending Dr right there in case if emergency  CNM would be perfectly safe I would think ?‍♀️ Midwives deliver VBACS regularly in other countries. I know there are some midwives who will attempt a homebirth off the books or people will cross state lines to deliver but that wouldn't be a CNM I'm sure. 

I wonder which hospital and Dr she's using. I don't think all the hospitals here will even allow VBAC.

Edited by Grace
  • Upvote 6

2 hours ago, Mama Mia said:

I don’t know about fundies. But in my crunchy liberal county they are very popular with ... well...everyone. Hippies, corporate types, techies, ag workers. ...

I think chiropractors and other "alternative" health care workers are increasing in popularity throughout America in general because they can offer preventative care and manage a variety of symptoms for an affordable price even if you don't have health insurance. The main stream healthcare system is so broken that even people with insurance can go broke from the bills.  And for the fundies, I think it's really easy for practitioners to run a small practice that caters to a niche population.  As a massage therapist I once worked for a chiro who got a solid 75% of his business from his church. Played Christian radio in the waiting room & kept regular & children's bibles with the magazines.  It must be much more comfortable for the fundies to visit a private practice like that for say, $40 per visit as opposed to a more traditional healthcare clinic where you risk encountering people who don't "share your values"  *eye roll*

The wholesome Christian chiropractors office is just like the wholesome Christian schools and camps and clothing stores and theme parks....it gives them a way to meet their needs without the hassle of encountering people who don't think like them.

• Upvote 9

Envious. I never got the glowing part of pregnancy. She looks lovely. And really happy. 

4022FC2D-3900-419C-8A80-51A29F9991A5.png

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 9

On 7/20/2020 at 10:34 PM, Grace said:

I know a few moms who are not woo at all who had the Webster technique flip their breech babies ?‍♀️ Better than an external version and having had a breech baby before I'm sure getting adjusted or whatever gives her a sense of possible control and peace of mind.

Yep. With my breech baby I looked into a chiropractor and would have very happily given it a go - quite a few breech mums recommended it to me. The only reason I didn't was not being able to get an appointment around all the work we had to do on the house. Really, I'd have tried anything. The external version was indeed horrendous, and if I'm in this situation again I think I'd skip it.

Several times my baby tried to flip herself - she went horizontal in my belly and I could see the shape of her head poking out of my side! - but she couldn't make it, so perhaps there was something physically stopping her. Whether or not that was an 'alignment' issue and whether or not chiropracty could have solved it, I dont know. But I'd have been willing to try.

I hope Joy gets the VBAC she wants, but personally I'd be tempted to go straight for scheduled C-section if I have another baby. It was a really nice chilled-out birth in the end.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2

12 hours ago, Mama Mia said:

They are also very popular among conservatives & liberals in my area. Both of my kids & my husband go to a Chiropractor, my father goes, my sister & her kids go. My mom calls them quacks who kill you, I have no idea what she's on about that but we try to avoid mentioning the C word around her. ?  I've never been mostly because I'm a big girl and I'm afraid they will tell me I'm too fat to be helped, even though my dad is bigger than I am and my sister & I are the same size & they've never had an issue, I just have issues. 

@AprilQuilt If Joy really wants a VBAC I too hope she gets it, but I'm like you, my scheduled C/section was so nice. My 1st baby was 8 pounds & I pushed for 4 hours and couldn't deliver him, I looked & felt like I'd been hit by a truck. After DD was born I looked fantastic in pictures, I felt fantastic and I recovered so much faster, with out the protracted labor and then having a c/section on top of it. 

8 hours ago, AussieKrissy said:

Envious. I never got the glowing part of pregnancy. She looks lovely. And really happy. 

4022FC2D-3900-419C-8A80-51A29F9991A5.png

She such a beautiful young woman.  She's starting to look more like Jessa, they both have a heart shaped faces and Joy's is becoming more defined as she gets older.  She's still SO YOUNG, she's only going to be 23 in late Oct, my son will be 23 late Nov. She's going to have 2 kids, my son still falls asleep playing video games and sleeps through chiropractor appointments. ? 

• Upvote 9
  • Haha 5
  • I Agree 1

13 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

She such a beautiful young woman.  She's starting to look more like Jessa, they both have a heart shaped faces and Joy's is becoming more defined as she gets older.  She's still SO YOUNG, she's only going to be 23 in late Oct, my son will be 23 late Nov. She's going to have 2 kids, my son still falls asleep playing video games and sleeps through chiropractor appointments. ? 

I always forget how old these girls are even though I’m close in age to them! I always assume that they’re older than me because they’re married with kids which few of my friends my age are. I’m actually just a few months older than Josiah who will be 24 in the next couple months. It’s crazy to me that Joy and Josiah are married with at least one kid and I'm not married but will be in a couple months, have both a bachelors and masters degree, and am working a full time job. Also, she’s gorgeous and everytime I see her or Josie Balka all made up it makes me wish I knew how to use makeup like they do because it just really accentuates their beauty. 

• Upvote 9

On 7/21/2020 at 8:59 AM, LacyMay said:

I watched the video where she packs her hospital bag and like someone mentioned earlier it truly was riveting. 

What stood out though was that she packed not one, not two, not three but four bow/flower headbands. 

How long does she plan to stay in the hospital? How many bows are needed? Surely she will have priorities other than the regular changing of the headband? 

I'm really happy that she's going the hospital birth route and agree that seeing Kendra, Lauren, Abby and Jinger all have hospital births (or birth center for Jinger) likely helped.

Before this latest crop of babies Anna had started and kept the trend of home births. Now Hospital births seem to be (thankfully) becoming more "normal" for the Duggar daughters and inlaws. 

I’m pretty sure I packed 3 bows because I couldn’t make up my mind :) 

• Haha 6

2 hours ago, coffeebean7 said:

My daughter was born in February, in Iowa. She wore the hospital cap and a couple other little caps I had for her 1st 2ish months. By the time it was warm enough for me to take her out with out a cap, the bows lasted about 2.2 seconds before she ripped them off, they were a total waste of money, any bows I could stick in her hair pissed her off and she screamed and screamed and would slap at her head trying to get them out so l I took them off, the head bands left indentations on her giant head and looked painful so I never bothered with them after the 1st wear.  By the age of two I could easily put them in her hair, she would bring me her pretty basket (a basket that had all her hair bows, ribbons, ties, clips etc.. I called them pretties so it became a pretty basket) and tell me to do her hair. 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1

2 hours ago, coffeebean7 said:

I might just be biased because one of them was GORGEOUS it was a bow of what looked to be soft stretchy cotton in a bright floral pattern. Like had it not been baby sized I would be asking Joy where she got it.

The rest were flowers of what looked like scratchy itchy material in pastels. So they seemed unnecessary after that first super nice one. I also forgot that Joy will very possibly end up having a Csection so they might be in the hospital for a couple of days. 

• Upvote 5

That's so interesting because when me and my twin brother were born my mom had the one bow for me that literally stayed on my head till I was a year old lol. She was like this one does the job!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 5

23 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

@AprilQuilt If Joy really wants a VBAC I too hope she gets it, but I'm like you, my scheduled C/section was so nice. My 1st baby was 8 pounds & I pushed for 4 hours and couldn't deliver him, I looked & felt like I'd been hit by a truck. After DD was born I looked fantastic in pictures, I felt fantastic and I recovered so much faster, with out the protracted labor and then having a c/section on top of it. 

Exactly, I was exhausted and bewildered after having my daughter anyway, going into new parenthood already physically and mentally depleted from labour must be really really hard. I know that's how almost everybody does it but I'm privately quite glad I at least became a parent after a proper night's sleep and a hot shower.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, AprilQuilt said:

Exactly, I was exhausted and bewildered after having my daughter anyway, going into new parenthood already physically and mentally depleted from labour must be really really hard. I know that's how almost everybody does it but I'm privately quite glad I at least became a parent after a proper night's sleep and a hot shower.

I adopted - and going into parenthood with a really good run of good nights sleep was also exhausting, overwhelming & bewildering. ALLL the props to Momma's who go into it running on empty.

• Upvote 7
  • Love 3

• Coconut Flan locked this topic