IGNORED

Joy & Austin 30: Who Needs Fire Safety when You Have Jesus?

HerNameIsBuffy

8 minutes ago, TuringMachine said:

What are freedomists? 

It’s a group of insufferable young ‘conservatives’ who have an Instagram page followed by the young Duggars. Jed has done a guest spot and recently Joy & Austin did an interview where they made fun of pandemic quarantine measures but then said they took appropriate precautions and it was filmed last month- which could have meant the end of March. And since they were asked how they were doing with the quarantine rules was clearly in the latter half of March.

They seem to worship Ronald Reagan and the Duggars. 

• Upvote 14
  • Thank You 4

3 hours ago, clueliss said:

$1 was Ben/Jessa (and I believe Cousin Amy) and that was officially from G'ma Duggar.

Because The JB does all sorts of financial shenanigans, the payment amount on the county legal books is possibly not accurate and I'm willing to bet it is not. Whether or not the payment for houses, cars, furniture, etc is $1 or more, the very real 'payment' is selling their souls to the devil and being beholden to him... it is all for JB's benefit and control. What a weak, fragile nothing of a man he must be to need such control over so many others.

Derick has shown the world his backside a lot, but he does appear to be moving his own family away from JB's absolute control and Jill appears to be OK with it, as much as we can tell from social media posts. That is more than any of the other Duggars or in-laws have done for themselves, in my opinion.

Edited by Bobology
  • Upvote 14
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 1

Only tangentially related to Joy and Austin, but I came across another Annabelle Elise and it made me think about the family's stance on abortion. Yes, Joy and Austin dearly wanted and loved their little girl. But that's not the reality for so many people and its cruel and short sided of them and other fundies to turn a blind eye to that fact.

This little girl with the same name was abandoned by one parent and terrorized by the other. Yes she is loved. But what kind of life is it to be in constant fear of the one who loves you?

I'm not trying to say she should have been aborted. But parents who know they cant care for a child need to have that choice. This Annabelle Elise is likely doomed to a life of abuse and abandonment by her bio parents, being passed between relatives and possibly ending up in the foster care system. There are so many unwanted, neglected and abused children in this world and its heartbreaking to me that fundies cant see this reality and the harm that their philosophy does to the people that they claim to be trying to save.

• Upvote 15
  • Sad 1
  • Love 1

Joy and Austin's house layout was quite odd. Having the fireplace in the guest room, not the living area, was strange I assumed that the extra door in the back of the living room leads to a deck/porch that we weren't shown. I was kinda surprised by the small amount of decorations on the wall--I thought all semi-celebrity fundy couples were gifted with an endless supply of framed pictures and calligraphied signs w/ bible quotes and other inspirational dreck. [and that Jana would have come over & hung them on the wall]  But maybe that isn't their style.

Oh, and I noticed their wonderful bookshelves full of books. Just kidding.

They clearly aren't readers. They don't even have bedside tables to put books on.

• Upvote 9
  • Confused 1

Makes me wonder if they turned a living room into a bedroom and flipped the front/back of the house around.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2

My thing is why wouldn't they make that the master?  I would LOVE to have a fireplace in my bedroom. 

• Upvote 10

23 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

My thing is why wouldn't they make that the master?  I would LOVE to have a fireplace in my bedroom. 

Exactly!  I would understand more if they called the room with the fireplace the "den".  Perhaps that isn't the bedroom with the en suite bathroom?

• Upvote 1

Personally I wouldn't be comfortable a door to the outside for my first floor bedroom, but to be fair I also live in a city.

• Upvote 4

On 4/15/2020 at 2:25 PM, HereticHick said:

Joy and Austin's house layout was quite odd. Having the fireplace in the guest room, not the living area, was strange I assumed that the extra door in the back of the living room leads to a deck/porch that we weren't shown. I was kinda surprised by the small amount of decorations on the wall--I thought all semi-celebrity fundy couples were gifted with an endless supply of framed pictures and calligraphied signs w/ bible quotes and other inspirational dreck. [and that Jana would have come over & hung them on the wall]  But maybe that isn't their style.

Oh, and I noticed their wonderful bookshelves full of books. Just kidding.

They clearly aren't readers. They don't even have bedside tables to put books on.

They did explicitly say a) they hadn't decorated yet, and b) they were switching out their bedside tables. My house is in a similar state to be honest - we've done lots of work on it, all the walls are plastered and painted, carpets down, furniture in, but we have no pictures or personal pieces out of storage yet, and actually in our master bedroom we still just have a stool by the side of the bed while we find the right thing. I think it's fair enough for them to show off their renovated home without every detail being complete. 

Plus, if they're at all social media savvy this actually gives them the opportunity to make a lot of content showing how they spruce it up and add personality. They can vlog tutorials for simple DIY projects like floating shelves, macrame nonsense, upcycling thrifted furniture, and big framed canvasses a la Jessa. I don't know if they have that nous but they seem to be putting a bit of effort into their channel so I wouldn't be entirely surprised.

But no, I'd put money on their not being readers.

• Upvote 6

9 hours ago, AprilQuilt said:

macrame nonsense

Hey, be careful how you word things. I was very much a part of the macrame scene in the mid-70s. After two pieces I'd had enough. To declare them as nonsense is... perfectly acceptable! heh-heh

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 10

Psh. You know how Guestan decorated everything with Antlers and horns? Well that's how I am with macrame. I feel no shame with my macrame nonsense life.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 8
  • Love 3

2 hours ago, SadieJane said:

Psh. You know how Guestan decorated everything with Antlers and horns? Well that's how I am with macrame. I feel no shame with my macrame nonsense life.

My mom had a thing for macrame, it was everywhere in our house, along with the basic brown, brown/orange and brown/yellow decor of the 70's.  Oddly enough macrame is coming back, my 20 yr old DD has the same macrame things Jill has on her walls, for her apartment she gets in August, she will be starting her Junior year at the University of Iowa she is very excited to have her 1st real place to her self.  I don't get the look, I have bad 70's flash backs, but I keep my opinions to myself, because I remember my mother trashing my style at 20 something years old and it pissing me off. So I just smile, say "so cute" it is HER apartment and if she likes it, then that it what matters. I'm very opinionated, so this is very hard for me.  But as I said, I remember how my mother was when I was 23 & got my 1st place on my own & how hurtful it was to hear how "tacky" I was, I will not do that to either of my kids. I don't understand how hard it is to just say "that is great' to someone if they are so proud of their home/hair/style whatever, just because it isn't how YOU would do it doesn't mean it is ugly/bad. I guess I can thank my parents for being dicks and teaching me how NOT to treat my children. 

• Upvote 14
  • Love 3

New Joy Video yesterday - she built gardening boxes and is going to plant vegetables.  

• Thank You 2

2 hours ago, clueliss said:

New Joy Video yesterday - she built gardening boxes and is going to plant vegetables.  

She's going to need something to do once this baby is born, she won't be able to ramble around Austin's jobs sites in a skirt and flip flops with a toddler & a baby. 

I can't really snark too much on anyone who wants to grow their own fresh veggies & herbs. I love my herb garden. 

• Upvote 6

There's macrame all over the HGTV home decorating shows. It's becoming a thing again. Between that and all the gold finishes they've been showing, I just want to cry. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

She's going to need something to do once this baby is born, she won't be able to ramble around Austin's jobs sites in a skirt and flip flops with a toddler & a baby. 

I can't really snark too much on anyone who wants to grow their own fresh veggies & herbs. I love my herb garden. 

Same, I was coincidentally thinking about putting my own garden... Any tips? I live in an apartment but I have a small terrace.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, HermioneSparrow said:

Same, I was coincidentally thinking about putting my own garden... Any tips? I live in an apartment but I have a small terrace.

Deck planters. You can get them at Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes, I have 5 of them on my deck for herbs and various types of peppers. We also have tomatoes in the yard that my husband takes care of, we've tried bigger gardens but our squirrel and rabbit population is unbelievable and its all we can do to keep the deck boxes vermin free. 

Edited by allthegoodnamesrgone
  • Upvote 5

16 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Deck planters. You can get them at Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes, I have 5 of them on my deck for herbs and various types of peppers. We also have tomatoes in the yard that my husband takes care of, we've tried bigger gardens but our squirrel and rabbit population is unbelievable and its all we can do to keep the deck boxes vermin free. 

Ohhh, I'll get them... Thank you so much ?

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, HermioneSparrow said:

I've had great luck with mint, oregano, basil, rosemary, chives & green onions in pots on my deck.

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 2

9 hours ago, HereticHick said:

I've had great luck with mint, oregano, basil, rosemary, chives & green onions in pots on my deck.

mint is for mojitossssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss 

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 3
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, AussieKrissy said:

mint is for mojitossssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss 

Mint and catnip are in the same family ...some cats like it and chew it as it's growing.

18 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Mint and catnip are in the same family ...some cats like it and chew it as it's growing.

ah you learn something new everyday 

• Upvote 4

I have both mojito mint and grapefruit mint growing in pots.  I LOVE grapefruit mint - it just smells like the perfect medley of both foods.  I think I'll have to start another pot or two for berries and cream mint and orange mint.  I love how vigorously it grows and I love to pick it and smell it but I rarely actually eat it.  Fresh mint tea is amazing, though.

• Upvote 5

Damn, you guys make me want a mojito soooo bad. ? Only 17 more weeks until I can celebrate baby's arrival with a nice minty mojito!

• Upvote 7
  • Love 2

• Coconut Flan locked this topic