IGNORED

Seewalds 43: Pants may Have Been Worn Or Not

HerNameIsBuffy

On 6/20/2020 at 8:52 PM, QuiverFullofBooks said:

It hasn’t been officially confirmed, but posters here have been pretty sure that Anna’s social media posts match what we’ve seen of that building on the show. They call it the “guest house,” but never talked about building an actual guest house. They probably renovated the warehouse where they had built a room for Ben into a guest house a few years ago. We’re also not sure why Josh and Anna moved in, but most likely they needed money and were forced to sell their house. (They definitely sold the house.)

Yeah. It's the warehouse they used for Abbie's wedding dress picking...when they built the platform for her to stand on and put a big mirror in. That is the place in the background of lots of Anna's pics.

• Upvote 2

On 6/18/2020 at 8:13 PM, GuineaPigCourtship said:

I thought she said she liked the small house because it was less to clean.

I can't speak for Jessa, but I know that's why I like my little 1200 sf 3 bedroom, 1 bathroom house.  That and cheaper utility bills.   

Edited by HeartsAFundie
  • Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2

3 hours ago, HeartsAFundie said:

I can't speak for Jessa, but I know that's why I like my little 1200 sf 3 bedroom, 1 bathroom house.  That and cheaper utility bills.   

DH & I are looking to downsize sooner rather than later, our oldest is looking to buy his 1st home and our youngest is moving into an apartment near her college campus 2.5 hours away. She will need a bedroom at home for years to come and will most likely be back home after she graduates. Dental school is her goal, she's just completed her Sophomore year & made the deans list (don't mind the mommy brag) even with having to do Chem, Bio & corresponding labs on line from home for 1/2 the semester.  

ANYWAY...We are in an 1750ish sq foot 3 bed 1.5 bath 4 level split right now, we would love to go back to a little 950ish sq foot 2 bed 1.5 or 2 bath home. So much less to maintain, so much less to up keep, DH will be 60 next year, I'm turning 50 in a few months, he's done manual labor since he was 16 in some form or another, he's got arthritis in all of his joints, plus his back, I'm overweight with depth perception issues, bad back & getting bad knees,  we need a ranch, our home right now is nothing but stairs.  

• Upvote 2
  • Love 14

Confession: you guys, I didn’t know about Juneteenth until THIS YEAR. ??

And I am a pretty educated aware person that has not been living under a rock. Well, I guess I have been living under my white rock. Anyway, I feel gross about it and I am listening and learning and trying to do better and change. 

All that to say, I am glad to see them posting about it. Jill and Derick and Ben seem the most aware of other cultures/races. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 15
  • Love 1

I've known what Juneteenth is since the early 90's but I'd taken a class on Civil Rights, I was getting a degree in Political Science, unless you were studying African Studies or Political Science or lived in a community with a large Black population, you most likely wouldn't know.  American History has been very VERY white washed and we weren't taught about this stuff. 

Not sure how old you are, but I went to school in the 70's & 80's in a VERY white school & it wasn't taught. We also weren't taught that the Europeans were the aggressors in the genocide of Indigenous people, or that there was even a genocide of them.  The Civil rights movement was just black people being ungrateful and wanting more than they deserved/earned (am not even kidding about that) the 2 whole black people in my grade were NOT amused with that lesson, but weren't allowed to speak up without being punished. 

• Disgust 2
  • Sad 4
  • WTF 2

I had read about Juneteenth several years ago.   I asked a friend who moved to a Southern state if they celebrated or talked about Juneteenth and she had never even heard of it, which surprised me because she is someone who would definitely be considered more "woke" than I ever would be.   I am glad Juneteenth is getting the recognition it deserves; the Emancipation Proclamation is an important document to our history and citizens' freedoms and its meaning should be celebrated and acknowledged.

Speaking of civil rights, if anyone ever gets a chance to visit the National Civil Rights Museum in Memphis, I highly encourage and recommend it.   Very educational, emotional (especially when you view MLK's motel room, which was left completely intact)  and thought-provoking and the gift shop, at least when I was there,  sells items from Black and African-owned businesses.    Well worth the visit! 

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

9 hours ago, neuroticcat said:

Confession: you guys, I didn’t know about Juneteenth until THIS YEAR. ??

And I am a pretty educated aware person that has not been living under a rock. Well, I guess I have been living under my white rock. Anyway, I feel gross about it and I am listening and learning and trying to do better and change. 

All that to say, I am glad to see them posting about it. Jill and Derick and Ben seem the most aware of other cultures/races. 

I didn't know until last year, nor did anyone with whom I spoke irl.  I think it's wonderful the country as a whole is finally being educated, as sad as it is it's so late in coming.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 2

I actually have my Bachelors in Political Science from a top American university. I still didn't learn about Juneteenth until very, very recently and as an adult. We need to do much better in academia, starting from Kinder throughout university.

• Upvote 16
  • Love 1

22 minutes ago, HeartsAFundie said:

the Emancipation Proclamation is an important document to our history and citizens' freedoms and its meaning should be celebrated and acknowledged.

I am continually shocked by how many people think this proclamation freed the enslaved and have no idea that it only freed them in states that seceded.  It didn't end slavery in union states.  

(I'm not referring to you personally - just irl I know so many people who are well educated and have no idea.)

Edited by HerNameIsBuffy
  • Upvote 14
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

I agree that we are woefully ignorant of our history in this country. Not only is much of it white-washed, it’s subpar standards. Very few actually keep learning/reviewing American history  (I include myself here) after formal education (outside of personal interest areas...like, you know, fundamentalist subculture). And I agree @allthegoodnamesrgone I’m in my 40s so totally did the generic American education with lots of stereotypes in pop culture and grew up in mostly white and Asian American circles. Woefully deficient education in many areas even though I went to excellent schools. 

I think it does help the media is on Juneteenth this year. But my guess is I probably heard it in some fashion before and dismissed it without investigating. I’ve also realized how even my social media feeds of celebs/influencers were pretty darn white. Way do you know? Out of that echo chamber people are talking about it because this isn’t news to them, you know?

Anyway, I think this a huge reason why people are getting worked up about the statues of the confederacy. BuT hIsToRy! Nope. For 95% of people saying that, that’s not your reason. Maybe you’ve read the plaque about the statue but don’t tell me the majority have an interest in history beyond July 4 patriotism. 

I saw a ridiculous post about his Aunt Jemima brand shouldn’t change the name because it erased Nancy Green’s (the woman who became connected with the brand. Since everyone knew and cared about Nancy’s story before. Or the even more awful one about how Germany didn’t race Auschwitz so we should keep the statues. It’s heart-breaking how far people will go to not have to change and hard to see people proud about bigotry. 

• Upvote 8

I'm not sure how you are all taught history in the USA but here it is fairly dry stuff.  So as a kid you aren't necessarily interested in it.  If you get the decent tales of what happened (there is a lot of interesting Australian history) then it may hold kids interest more.  My understanding is that the kids here for the last few years have been given a slightly less whitewashed version of history than they used to be given.

• Upvote 3

15 hours ago, Someone Out There said:

I'm not sure how you are all taught history in the USA but here it is fairly dry stuff.  So as a kid you aren't necessarily interested in it.  If you get the decent tales of what happened (there is a lot of interesting Australian history) then it may hold kids interest more.  My understanding is that the kids here for the last few years have been given a slightly less whitewashed version of history than they used to be given.

Yeah since moving to  Australia I'm trying to read about the history, but the more I learn, the more horrified I get. They had a White only immigration policy until 1950 that only slowly lifted until 19 fucking 75

BTW anyone binge watching The Good Fight right now?

Edited by squiddysquid
  • Sad 3

3 hours ago, squiddysquid said:

Yeah since moving to  Australia I'm trying to read about the history, but the more I learn, the more horrified I get. They had a White only immigration policy until 1950 that only slowly lifted until 19 fucking 75

Have you heard about how Indigenous Australians were considered Fauna until the 1967 referendum after the states combined to form Australia?  Because you know, they were going to die out anyway... (you know, due to the massacres the government were doing, but of course, we were peacefully settled).  The fact that Morrison recently said we had no slavery in Australia also pissed me off (I have one word, Blackbirding) he obviously doesn't know his history.

Then there is what Menzies allowed the English to do at Maralinga.  I keep meaning to watch Operation Buffalo which is a new drama series on the ABC about it...

That being said, I think currently Australia is currently reasonably integrated/welcoming of migrants (though there are significant issues with prejudice and the Indigenous populations due to long term prejudices and issues that occur because of various governmental policies over the years) particularly compared to other countries, though my understanding is that we tend to have a significant issue with the current generation of migrants and the next generation people are good to deal with them, e.g. 1950's it was the Greeks and Italians, 1970's it would have been the Vietnamese, 1990's it was people from various South East Asian countries, 2000's maybe Lebanese?, currently my guess would be the Sudanese would have the most issues on the migration side.

• Upvote 6

2 minutes ago, Someone Out There said:

That being said, I think currently Australia is currently reasonably integrated/welcoming of migrants (though there are significant issues with prejudice an

As an International medical graduate, I have to disagree. Despite being a doctor, they treat us like dirt.

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 4
  • Love 2

12 hours ago, candygirl200413 said:

@BernRul off topic but I can't wait till it comes back!!

Same. I haven't heard anything in a while. Do you know i it's supposed to come back soon?

9 hours ago, squiddysquid said:

Yes! To the Good Fight-

Edited by SassyPants
  • Upvote 2

8 hours ago, squiddysquid said:

As an International medical graduate, I have to disagree. Despite being a doctor, they treat us like dirt.

How do they treat you like dirt?

7 hours ago, Dandruff said:

How do they treat you like dirt?

Well for once I was about to clear my final exam to get my medical licence here. 3500 dollars that's without the previous exams and paperwork. Then an email in March, all exam dates from March to June postponed indefinitely. We will prioritize you once exams will be back up or you can get the  money back and lose your place, no further info at all, no one answering the phone, exams could be in August, January... Who knows

Mind you, only 27% meaning you have to study hardcore for at least 3 months with no distractions bit hard to do when you have no idea when it's going to be

Most of us lost our part time jobs, like barkeeping etc. Obviously we aren't entitled to any financial aid. I got sexually harassed by a student in my prep class (5.000 dollars for that and ai get screamed at, have to tolerate sexist jokes, get called an idiot... You name it.)

The school director of knows we need his referral letter since he is the only Australian clinical referee we have, I had Screenshots that clearly showed how inappropriate the harrasment was from day one, I and the whole class got told, in his white 75 year old male mind this isn't sexual and forbids us to ever talk about it again. Then I they try to kick me out of the course.

I send out job applications to hospitals volunteering for Corona clinics, answer if I get one literally "thanks, work rights? Nothing else". Mind you they're very friendly on the phone etc before they know you're an international doctor, than they get quite annoyed and hang up. I accept that as an International doctor, I always get picked last, Australians first, then the internationals who studied in Oz, then people who have permanent residency or work rights then people like me who studied overseas, but just the change in tone of the secretaries once you say you are an International trained doctor.. Goes from very sweet to "oh, we don't do sponsorship, bye“ in like 3 seconds, if they bother to reply at all

ever tried renting when you're on a temporary visa? Good luck. And if they do they'll try to screw you over each and every time, cause they know you aren't that aware of renters rights and can't afford to sue them, especially when you are trying to get permanent residency. Hell I can't even get a cell phone contract.

There's international students here who got kicked out of their share houses, lost their jobs can't go back home. Private organizations have set up soup kitchens and the like (the Sikh community mainly here), no aod frok the government whatsoever. Mind you this is a Billion dollar industry and those unis depend on those international student rates (fees are about 30-50%) higher for us. I finally a found a sort of affordable course that allows me to stay on a student visa. Mind you most TAFE courses are not taking internationals and if they do, you pay double. But at least that visa allows me to work 20h per week.

as for part time jobs, I'm pretty much open to anything, a lot of the doctors do Uber now, but I don't have an Australian driver's Licence and obviously I can't afford a car.

Working with a temporary visa, you will always get exploited, cause they now you depend on it to stay here. Fuck work rights, forget about getting paid for overtime or  weekend rates. (especially in hospitality... Or fruit picking, ever saw the accommodations they live in?)

Be prepared to be screamed at and of course sexually harrased because they know if they fire us, we're done.

Edited by squiddysquid
  • Sad 18

2 hours ago, squiddysquid said:

only 27% meaning

Sorry 27% pass rate, yup 73% fail. 

You can appeal since they record it on video, but be prepared that the appeal might take like a year... During which you are not allowed to retake the exam until the decision is made, so most people opt to just take it (and pay) again.

Same with the English test,you'll get your score but no feedback. You can appeal wich costs over a hundred dollars for a review but if they don't change their minds they still won't tell you what mistakes justify your score.

Edited by squiddysquid
  • Upvote 2

On 6/22/2020 at 6:15 AM, RosyDaisy said:

I'm not so sure about that.  I could see JB taking that money too.  I think he's that controlling.  That's just my opinion.

Sad. I can see, family dynamics being what they are, why the daughters might surrender control, but why their husbands would tolerate it is beyond me. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2

8 hours ago, squiddysquid said:

Well for once I was about to clear my final exam to get my medical licence here. 3500 dollars that's without the previous exams and paperwork. Then an email in March, all exam dates from March to June postponed indefinitely. We will prioritize you once exams will be back up or you can get the  money back and lose your place, no further info at all, no one answering the phone, exams could be in August, January... Who knows

Mind you, only 27% meaning you have to study hardcore for at least 3 months with no distractions bit hard to do when you have no idea when it's going to be

Most of us lost our part time jobs, like barkeeping etc. Obviously we aren't entitled to any financial aid. I got sexually harassed by a student in my prep class (5.000 dollars for that and ai get screamed at, have to tolerate sexist jokes, get called an idiot... You name it.)

The school director of knows we need his referral letter since he is the only Australian clinical referee we have, I had Screenshots that clearly showed how inappropriate the harrasment was from day one, I and the whole class got told, in his white 75 year old male mind this isn't sexual and forbids us to ever talk about it again. Then I they try to kick me out of the course.

I send out job applications to hospitals volunteering for Corona clinics, answer if I get one literally "thanks, work rights? Nothing else". Mind you they're very friendly on the phone etc before they know you're an international doctor, than they get quite annoyed and hang up. I accept that as an International doctor, I always get picked last, Australians first, then the internationals who studied in Oz, then people who have permanent residency or work rights then people like me who studied overseas, but just the change in tone of the secretaries once you say you are an International trained doctor.. Goes from very sweet to "oh, we don't do sponsorship, bye“ in like 3 seconds, if they bother to reply at all

ever tried renting when you're on a temporary visa? Good luck. And if they do they'll try to screw you over each and every time, cause they know you aren't that aware of renters rights and can't afford to sue them, especially when you are trying to get permanent residency. Hell I can't even get a cell phone contract.

There's international students here who got kicked out of their share houses, lost their jobs can't go back home. Private organizations have set up soup kitchens and the like (the Sikh community mainly here), no aod frok the government whatsoever. Mind you this is a Billion dollar industry and those unis depend on those international student rates (fees are about 30-50%) higher for us. I finally a found a sort of affordable course that allows me to stay on a student visa. Mind you most TAFE courses are not taking internationals and if they do, you pay double. But at least that visa allows me to work 20h per week.

as for part time jobs, I'm pretty much open to anything, a lot of the doctors do Uber now, but I don't have an Australian driver's Licence and obviously I can't afford a car.

Working with a temporary visa, you will always get exploited, cause they now you depend on it to stay here. Fuck work rights, forget about getting paid for overtime or  weekend rates. (especially in hospitality... Or fruit picking, ever saw the accommodations they live in?)

Be prepared to be screamed at and of course sexually harrased because they know if they fire us, we're done.

Yes, the temporary visa would be the major sticking point, they would have some legal obligations in regards to employing you (similarly there may be obligations in regards to needing to pay you rather than allowing you to volunteer).  I agree that Temporary Migrants are treated like shit in regards to work rights (particularly on Farms and in Restaurants, I'm not sure how much, if at all that is racism vs treating people like shit though).  I didn't say it was a perfect Utopia here.

The government here is I think fairly hopeless (on all sides of politics), they have also systematically run down the funding of research in the University sector over decades (similarly funding in general for TAFE) which is why it relies on overseas students.  It also doesn't appear to give a stuff about the arts sector (which again contributes over $100 billion/year to the economy).  The vertical fiscal imbalance between the Federal and State/Territory governments is also problematic.

For rental stuff you shouldn't need to sue them.  Each state and territory has a rental dispute board (or whatever it should be called) and I believe they all have advice services (although I could be wrong).  Links to the various state and territory services can be found here https://www.tenants.org.au/tu/tenants-services-australia.  Taking items to the dispute board doesn't require legal representation, I think it may be free but I'm not sure on that, I also don't believe it would affect your PR application.  The rental market has also been very competitive particularly in Sydney, Melbourne, and Canberra.

For Mobile phones I would expect that you should be able to use prepaid rather than get a contract (depending on phone use this can be cheaper as well).  I'm not sure what the issues are there in regards to a longer term contract though (again it could be financial legal obligations).

My understanding is that sexual harassment is fairly rife in the Medical Industry (I believe Law is also bad).  It wouldn't be related to your race or migrant status.  If I could figure out the appropriate search terms I think Background Briefing on the ABC did a segment on the treatment of Junior doctors a while back.

• Upvote 3

My dad taught on the Navajo rez so I knew a little bit about  forced assimilation thru boarding schools. The movie The Rabbit Proof Fence talks about something similar in Australia with Aboriginal children.  

• Sad 3
  • Thank You 2

• nelliebelle1197 locked, unlocked and locked this topic