IGNORED

Seewalds 43: Pants may Have Been Worn Or Not

HerNameIsBuffy

19 hours ago, princessmahina said:

If she were a nurse, how would she handle someone whose lifestyle she disagreed with? The teen mom? The single mom? The lesbian couple? I’m just not sure. 

The Duggar family's official story is that Jill originally got into midwifery as a teenager when a friend of hers, who was the same age, got pregnant (I would LOVE to learn more about this but Google turned up nothing.)

Jill has an aunt who's gay and Derick claims to have gay friends from his fraternity. I think she'd go along the lines of "Hate the sin, love the sinner" rather than total ostracization.

I know I tend to defend Jill a lot on here (she and I are the same age so she's my pet Fundy) but I do think that she's way more capable and flexible than people tend to think.

• Upvote 11

15 hours ago, LacyMay said:

I don't want to be Debbie Downer. But tbh I would be surprised seeing Jill as an RN. Maybe it's different in Canada but here to get your RN you now need a bachelor's degree either a BN or BSN said bachelors degree includes all your science courses (Chem, bio, bio Chem, anatomy physiology etc) and the nursing specific ones (pharmacology etc). 

I think Jill would be a great nurse or a great midwife and likely thrive when it came to certain practical skills and patient care. But I don't think that SOTDRT has at all prepared her for a 4 year degree or the study skills etc that would go along with it. I could maybe see her doing well with a 2 year LPN program but even that would be a mountain. 

Normally I'd agree with you. But my sister is incredibly lazy, I *think* got expelled from her first college (never got the full story on that situation- I assume for cheating or not showing up to class ever.), and not book smart. I'm shocked she got through her science courses and clinicals. She is now a labor and delivery nurse. If she can do, I feel sure Jill can. My sister now works at the Mayo Clinic, widely regarded as one of the best hospitals in the world.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, FleeJanaFree said:

Normally I'd agree with you. But my sister is incredibly lazy, I *think* got expelled from her first college (never got the full story on that situation- I assume for cheating or not showing up to class ever.), and not book smart. I'm shocked she got through her science courses and clinicals. She is now a labor and delivery nurse. If she can do, I feel sure Jill can. My sister now works at the Mayo Clinic, widely regarded as one of the best hospitals in the world.

It's possible, but it would be surprising to me. I'm also not sure we can compare Jill to someone who (likely) graduated high school and took at least one high school level lab science class. 

What makes me skeptical is where Jill is starting from and I want this to be made perfectly clear *that isn't her fault* 

Jill is working against a crappy upbringing where work ethic was... Negligible at best, education was not highly valued and there was little in the way of learning how to function in a traditional school setting (ie scheduled classes etc) 

Add to that her education to this point has been (likely) sub par at best it wouldn't be outside the realm of possibility that before she could enter an ADN program she would need to do some upgrading of her high school courses. Then 2 years of nursing studies. In what I'm assuming would be a full time program. She gets home at night she still has 2 kids to take care of and her own work and studying to do+taking care of Derrick because I can see him being supportive up to the point that it doesn't inconvenience him. There's also the being away from her boys for all the time that she's studying or working. And to be honest I think she enjoys being able to spend time with them. 

Being skeptical of Jill becoming a nurse isn't me snarling on Jill or her intelligence or desire. It's me being pessimistic and thinking that there are careers we all would have liked to have but our lives just didn't work out that way. Could she be a nurse? Sure. Would it take a ridiculous amount of work, drive and sacrifice on her part and her families? Yes. 

Is it ok to admit that sometimes we just don't get what we want because that's life? Yes. 

• Upvote 19

Most community colleges have remedial classes, so she could catch up if that's what she wants. They would also get her into the habit of structured classes and homework.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 2

3 hours ago, indianabones said:

The Duggar family's official story is that Jill originally got into midwifery as a teenager when a friend of hers, who was the same age, got pregnant (I would LOVE to learn more about this but Google turned up nothing.)

Jill’s ‘friend’ was most likely her cousin  Rachel, so the baby was Tyler.  

There’s no way Jill would have had a teenaged unwed mother as a friend.

• Upvote 17
  • I Agree 5
  • Thank You 2

2 hours ago, Snarkasarus Rex said:

I appreciate how much more realistic your theory is. I totally pictured a church friend who went down the wrong path and was redeemed after giving birth out of wedlock. 

Rachel and Tyler is much more likely. 

• Upvote 10

19 hours ago, Snarkasarus Rex said:

The dates all add up. Never thought of that, thanks for sating my curiosity!

• Upvote 5

Cathy is a douche in so many ways, but I think she is probably good for Jill. She and her son are major douches, but they clearly value education and aren't terrified to expose their children to the "outside" world. And Cathy perhaps loves having a daughter and can provide Jill with the maternal support she likely never got from her own Mom, while still being fundy enough to not freak Jill out. Perhaps I'm stepping into out-of-line territory here but I wouldn't be suprised if Cathy has, overtly or inovertly, helped Jill to see that what happened in her family is in no way normal. Or healthy.

And although the family GrubHub trips are appalling in many ways (like safety), and I would prefer to see Jill and the kids stay home, at least Dwreck is modeling a work ethic. Can't believe I'm saying this, but the dude does seem to both do his actual schoolwork at a real university, and also not be above taking "menial" jobs in order to earn money. Contrast that with her brothers (Josh, of course, but I can never erase the image of JD flashing a cheesy badge and gun at a Bahamian emergency worker, and who knows what the other ones do?) and her brothers-in-law (aside from Austin), and Dwreck and his mom seem to be providing some good role modeling--yes, the bar is low, but baby steps.

Jill is still very young and if she wants to be a nurse she can do it even with her lack of more than rudimentary education. It will take a long time, but she at least is seeing what is involved in studying (probably even applying) to meet a goal. Since the Duggars generally believe that just their mere existence is a "blessing" to the rest of the world, that's a huge step.

OK, I'm rambling. COVID fog is getting to me.

• Upvote 33
  • I Agree 1

I’ve been thinking on this a few days, since this was posted. This is not a snark post more of a curious social observation of fundies and possibly “normal” people too. 
Ivy most definitely looks like her Mom. To me Ivy also reminds me of Jinger and Felicity. 
But IMO Spurgeon is the dead ringer for his mother. 
Has Jessa or any family member every acknowledged this? Are they allowed to acknowledge it? Would it somehow be “feminising” him in some way? If they did. (based on their strict gender roles). 
Or is it easier for society as a whole to recognise  themselves in their child of the same gender? Is it more important for her to have a girl that looks like her? Is it a pride thing? (Not a shot at her, jessa is a pretty girl and lots of Mother’s want the mini me). So I am not judging her for that. I think that’s standArd. 
I personally have not come across anyone who has had problem pointing out or being told that their opposite gender child looks like them.... 
Disclaimer to add, of course I don’t think there is anything wrong or to be read into if you do or don’t look like the parent of your gender. 
My thoughts are just wondering if their gender role biases play a part. 
My thoughts are generally clearer in my head, sorry By I am curious to other people’s opinions if you can catch on what I mean. 
oh and if I was to every judge a baby by it’s looks, baby Jessa looks like a little sass queen. It makes me sad to think how she may have been able to rule the world. (For good morning bible evil).  She just looks like a baby that took no shit. It’s funny cause she did grow up to be “don’t mess with Jess” and that baby looks like the epitome of that quote. Lol 

252F83D7-1D08-4840-AC97-56ABBB0F334D.png

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

I think Ivy is the perfect cross between Ben and Jessa. I see a lot of Ben in her. I agree that Spurgeon is all Jessa and Henry favors Ben. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 3

4 hours ago, AussieKrissy said:

I’ve been thinking on this a few days, since this was posted. This is not a snark post more of a curious social observation of fundies and possibly “normal” people too. 
Ivy most definitely looks like her Mom. To me Ivy also reminds me of Jinger and Felicity. 
Has Jessa or any family member every acknowledged this? Are they allowed to acknowledge it? Would it somehow be “feminising” him in some way? If they did. (based on their strict gender roles). 
Or is it easier for society as a whole to recognise  themselves in their child of the same gender? Is it more important for her to have a girl that looks like her? Is it a pride thing? (Not a shot at her, jessa is a pretty girl and lots of Mother’s want the mini me). So I am not judging her for that. I think that’s standArd. 
I personally have not come across anyone who has had problem pointing out or being told that their opposite gender child looks like them.... 
Disclaimer to add, of course I don’t think there is anything wrong or to be read into if you do or don’t look like the parent of your gender. 
My thoughts are generally clearer in my head, sorry By I am curious to other people’s opinions if you can catch on what I mean. 
oh and if I was to every judge a baby by it’s looks, baby Jessa looks like a little sass queen. It makes me sad to think how she may have been able to rule the world. (For good morning bible evil).  She just looks like a baby that took no shit. It’s funny cause she did grow up to be “don’t mess with Jess” and that baby looks like the epitome of that quote. Lol 

I could be misremembering, and don’t recall specifics, but I think various Dugggar’s have occasionally referred to opposite sex children resembling each other. Maybe with Joy and Gideon? Possibly even Jessa with Sturgeon? Or maybe it was just on here lol. 

It’s really interesting to watch various family resemblances. In my extended family we currently have several mini-me combos. I’m most curious to see the adult appearances of two sibling grandchildren of mine, a boy and a girl, each is a carbon copy of their opposite sex parent. 

• Upvote 3

Jessa's definitely posted comparisons of her kids before, I remember a spurgeon one when he was littler, and I think a henry one was done with ben's side as well but not sure of that

• Upvote 4

I know it's not a perfect comparison but didn't they used to joke about how much one of the howlers (Jason? James?) Looked like Amy and maybe Jill as well? 

• Upvote 2

On 5/16/2020 at 9:21 AM, AussieKrissy said:

Jessa has posted comparisons of herself and Spurgeon on a couple different occasions.

Spoiler

Spoiler

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

7 hours ago, LacyMay said:

I know it's not a perfect comparison but didn't they used to joke about how much one of the howlers (Jason? James?) Looked like Amy and maybe Jill as well? 

James, used to be Amy’s twin. To the point that some people thought he could have been her hidden son. It was actually uncanny. James must be allll duggar. He was the person I always referenced back when comparing who the kids favoured. 

52 minutes ago, VineHeart137 said:

Jessa has posted comparisons of herself and Spurgeon on a couple different occasions.

Hide contents

Hide contents

Thanks good to see that gender doesn’t plAy apart one these kind of comparisons 

• Upvote 5

On 5/7/2020 at 6:24 PM, Bad Wolf said:

Most community colleges have remedial classes, so she could catch up if that's what she wants. They would also get her into the habit of structured classes and homework.

She could, but that takes acknowledging that her amazing perpendicular and bankruptcy homeschooling was not only not amazing, but was actually subpar. I find with college, a lot of the ability to get through it if you are behind academically isn't just catching up with the academic work, it's adjusting your mindset from what you were taught about your intelligence and your education in your childhood.

Though, it does look like Jill is taking some real strides in that direction, so it's possible. I don't actually think she's dumb. And I do think her super enthusiastic golden retriever personality would be an advantage for her. 

• Upvote 12
  • Haha 4
  • I Agree 2

20 hours ago, nausicaa said:

her super enthusiastic golden retriever personality

I love gems like this. I wish I'd been keeping a list.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1

On 5/17/2020 at 9:31 AM, nausicaa said:

She could, but that takes acknowledging that her amazing perpendicular and bankruptcy homeschooling was not only not amazing, but was actually subpar. I find with college, a lot of the ability to get through it if you are behind academically isn't just catching up with the academic work, it's adjusting your mindset from what you were taught about your intelligence and your education in your childhood.

Though, it does look like Jill is taking some real strides in that direction, so it's possible. I don't actually think she's dumb. And I do think her super enthusiastic golden retriever personality would be an advantage for her. 

I don’t know, I think going back as an “older” student, most people can acknowledge they’ve slipped some, forgotten a lot, or never learned everything they should of in the first place. It seems like it’s mostly young people who go straight from high school to college who are more defensive about gaps. 
By mid- late twenties, especially if they have kids or have worked, people tend to be more accepting that they don’t know everything.  

• Upvote 8

On 5/17/2020 at 8:31 AM, nausicaa said:

And I do think her super enthusiastic golden retriever personality would be an advantage for her. 

Oh, god is this why JIll is my favorite Duggar? 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 8

35 minutes ago, Maggie Mae said:

Oh, god is this why JIll is my favorite Duggar? 

I think it sums her up pretty perfectly actually lol 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1

1 hour ago, Mama Mia said:

I don’t know, I think going back as an “older” student, most people can acknowledge they’ve slipped some, forgotten a lot, or never learned everything they should of in the first place. It seems like it’s mostly young people who go straight from high school to college who are more defensive about gaps. 
By mid- late twenties, especially if they have kids or have worked, people tend to be more accepting that they don’t know everything.  

That's a good point. I guess I still see Jill as in her early twenties. There's probably more humility there than I'm giving her credit for. 

• Upvote 3

@nausicaa, I so think Jill has been genuinely humbled by her cicumstances over the last couple of years. Back to back emergency C-Sections, having to live outside the US, and no longer being on  the TV show she seemed to love.  It is a lot of challenges in a short time. I think Jill has really grown. 

• Upvote 6

On 5/18/2020 at 11:21 PM, Bobology said:

I love gems like this. I wish I'd been keeping a list.

I have to say that phrase has kind of made me look at Jill at bit more fondly. She used to always annoy the crap out of me. I did always like her loyalty to her buddy group. 
it suits her so well. If only know she can take that over eager golden retriever and keep taking the baby steps she *seems to be making away from her upbringing. Maybe pull her mouthy husband up a bit too. 
*from what we can tell from what she lets out... 

• Upvote 5

On Jessa’s birthday post for Ben, she implied that he’s done with college and received a degree. I wonder why they haven’t made a bigger deal about it. Maybe because it hasn’t led to any type of a real career yet.

• Upvote 11
  • Love 1

10 minutes ago, JDuggs said:

On Jessa’s birthday post for Ben, she implied that he’s done with college and received a degree. I wonder why they haven’t made a bigger deal about it. Maybe because it hasn’t led to any type of a real career yet.

I wondered that too 

• Upvote 1

• nelliebelle1197 locked, unlocked and locked this topic