IGNORED

Dillards 82: Derick Spills the Tea

Coconut Flan

Jill was showing off her P O box swag on her instastory - she seems quite open to fans sending her stuff. We can talk all we like about the Dillards ‘growing’ etc- they still want free shit.

• Upvote 12
  • Sad 1
  • I Agree 3

3 hours ago, Idlewild said:

Jill was showing off her P O box swag on her instastory - she seems quite open to fans sending her stuff. We can talk all we like about the Dillards ‘growing’ etc- they still want free shit.

Derick has to know better, right? Come on, support your own damn selves. They are both able bodied and capable of working!

• Upvote 10

I’d say based on his lengthy history of begging for donations, Derick definitely doesn’t know better.

• Upvote 10
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 4

A lot of people who are bloggers, you tubers and other influencers are opening PO boxes now, while part of it will be for free things from fans and mail from them, it's probably not a bad idea for them to have one and stop things being sent to their home address. Fans probably send stuff to all of them as it's easy to look up their addresses online. 

• Upvote 18

3 minutes ago, Glasgowghirl said:

A lot of people who are bloggers, you tubers and other influencers are opening PO boxes now, while part of it will be for free things from fans and mail from them, it's probably not a bad idea for them to have one and stop things being sent to their home address. Fans probably send stuff to all of them as it's easy to look up their addresses online. 

Just for security purposes, absolutely. You can advertise the PO Box address and put off people who might otherwise be tempted to search out your home address. 

• Upvote 19

Derick just posted a video of the kids dancing wildly (like normal kids) to techno music with him and Jill flickering the lights to make a club atmosphere.

They’ve come so far (arguably not), yet soooooo far to go.

• Upvote 39

58 minutes ago, Skeptic55 said:

Derick just posted a video of the kids dancing wildly (like normal kids) to techno music with him and Jill flickering the lights to make a club atmosphere.

They’ve come so far (arguably not), yet soooooo far to go.

Where? 

Instagram story. And those are only available for a short time, right?

Edited by Not that josh's mom
Found the answer

On 1/9/2020 at 7:27 PM, Peaches-n-Beans said:

I think this is completely true, now again, speculation and stuff but I do actually have some insight. My family has lived over seas since May of 2009. And we still do, all together, now though, my parents are going through a rather messy divorce, the nearest family is thousands of miles away, and all of our visa's hinge on my dad. So it's been stressful to say the least. My sister is 18, has a boyfriend in Seattle, and is moving there in March to marry him. She's known him 6 months. They've been dating for 4 months. All long distance. She's seen him in person twice, once when he came here at the start of their dating, once when we were there for Chistmas. 100% she would not be doing this if not for our family situation.

I'm sorry you and your family are going through that, PnB.

I hope your sister has a bit of time between arriving in WA and getting married and realizes that it's not the best thing to rush into.

On 1/7/2020 at 4:27 PM, freethemall said:

I.e, Kim Kardashian West. 

I wonder who would make a better or shittier lawyer - Derrick or Kimmy K? I actually think Kim is smarter and more hardworking, and that's not saying much. 

I know almost nothing about this woman except that the family is famous. Your comments and those of others about her make me more curioud about her; glad she seems to be a decent person.

On 1/9/2020 at 7:44 AM, finnlassie said:

Finally Google recommended me some relevant articles to my interest! I don't know which I read, but the article pointed out that basically everyone, especially in discussion forum platforms, has known & guessed these things for AGES, now we just got confirmation for the things we knew.

Whut? I'm confused...did you intend this for a different thread?

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Glasgowghirl said:

That’s interesting. The Youtubers I follow have already stopped doing it. They are in for +/-10 years and the amount and worth of stuff they get is insane. They realised that showing this will only make their audience realise how far removed they are from normal life. People realised how much of their stuff is actually gifted (and I am not talking in a sponsernd/ad kind of way). I also have to question a brand that gifts every colour of their skin care range to one person WITHOUT making sure the person would make a give away for the 95% of colours she just isn’t able to use. I wonder if brands have already picked up that many are getting annoyed by this complete waste and stated boycotting brands when they think they are not sensible about their gifts and sponsorship partners.

7 hours ago, just_ordinary said:

That’s interesting. The Youtubers I follow have already stopped doing it. They are in for +/-10 years and the amount and worth of stuff they get is insane. They realised that showing this will only make their audience realise how far removed they are from normal life. 

This is a level of self awareness Jill and Derick will never have. They’re just want people to send them free shit.

• Upvote 3

I’m so torn on these two. I definitely don’t drink to the Koolaid to the point where I think any of the kids are progressive enough to be free-thinkers just because they start watching a little TV or wearing pants...but these two really throw me for a loop sometimes. When you’re raised your whole life with hateful beliefs and sheltered from ever getting any real world knowledge, because your parents restricted any access to people who aren’t like you, or the internet, etc...it’s just no wonder you continue like that as an adult. Even though the rest of the siblings has likely toned it down a bit, they’re all still conservative and towing the line because they’re so integrated in the family still.

But J&D aren’t really part of the family anymore. Despite wearing pants and getting a nose ring, I never thought I’d see the day they turn their living room into a rave with flickering lights and techno music while their kids dance. I certainly don’t think there’s going to be some big epiphany anytime soon...but I’d be really curious to see where they are 10 years from now. Will their disenchantment with J-bob and the whole family, as well as more real-world experience teach them to be more open minded? Probably not but I guess one can dream..haha. I do wonder if their kids will go to a real school - even if it’s just a private Christian school vs homeschooling.

• Upvote 33

14 hours ago, Skeptic55 said:

Happy dance........

He's still answering questions on the same thread. One I found rather interesting; something about TLC shows what they think viewers want to see. And "they make up their own storylines". That certainly explains the weird stories like, "oh we came early because of weather warnings; can we have the holiday dinner a day early?" and other ones that remained as rumors.

• Upvote 8

I know nothing about private schools in the US, but can J&D afford to send the boys to private school on one income? I suppose Jill could start working if the boys went to school.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, SorenaJ said:

I know nothing about private schools in the US, but can J&D afford to send the boys to private school on one income? I suppose Jill could start working if the boys went to school.

Probably yes, for the type of school they would send the boys to. Tuition at Shiloh Christian (where Jim Bob went) ranges from $4000 to $8000 per year, depending on grade level. They offer a modest discount for families with multiple kids enrolled. If they stay in NW Arkansas, live modestly, and Derick gets a decent job, they could make it work. They may also hope to grift tuition from a local school.

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, mpheels said:

Probably yes, for the type of school they would send the boys to. Tuition at Shiloh Christian (where Jim Bob went) ranges from $4000 to $8000 per year, depending on grade level. They offer a modest discount for families with multiple kids enrolled. If they stay in NW Arkansas, live modestly, and Derick gets a decent job, they could make it work. They may also hope to grift tuition from a local school.

I want to change the probably to possibly. There are a lot of “ifs” required for them to afford private school. If they stop at two (maybe three) kids, and Derick suddenly finds a work ethic, and they live otherwise modestly, and maybe Jill picks up a part time work at home job... so it’s possible, but I not sure they will pull it off.

• Upvote 11

How much of this is actually change and not something Derrick would do even if he was married to someone else? Jill will follow Derrick down any path he takes so I don’t see her as changing so much as submitting to her husband’s beliefs. If Derrick suddenly wanted to go Duggar Fundy, Jill would be back in Long Jean skirts while making tator tot casserole. 

As for Derrick, he wasn’t raised fundy like Jill. Conservative, yes, but otherwise, he seems to have been raised pretty much the same as kids of any religion or kids raised as atheists. He was a scout, had friends, likely played sports, went to a real college and was the mascot. He likely listened to regular music, went to parties, saw R rated movies and had regular dates before he even met Jill. Derrick doesn’t seem to be doing anything that is defying the Duggars, he is just living life as he was raised. So to him, he isn’t living life differently. I am not going to give him credit for living differently than the Duggars when it’s the life he would have lived either way. 

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

Yeah, Derick was raised as a garden variety conservative Christian. He may have been drawn to fundamentalism during a difficult time - dad died, mom very ill, and he was adrift in the world. He may have felt the stability and closeness of the televised Duggar family was a worth giving up some of the small secular pleasures, and he probably truly believed in his answers to Jim Bob’s questionnaire at the time. Now Derick has seen behind the curtain, and may be ready to go back to his regular conservative life. All the hate, half the responsibility.

• Upvote 21

1 hour ago, mpheels said:

Yeah, Derick was raised as a garden variety conservative Christian. He may have been drawn to fundamentalism during a difficult time - dad died, mom very ill, and he was adrift in the world. He may have felt the stability and closeness of the televised Duggar family was a worth giving up some of the small secular pleasures, and he probably truly believed in his answers to Jim Bob’s questionnaire at the time. Now Derick has seen behind the curtain, and may be ready to go back to his regular conservative life. All the hate, half the responsibility.

Yes and no, at the very least Derick’s parents educated themselves and their kids, and did role model a decent work ethic. Those are all responsibilities that the Duggars have avoided!

• Upvote 5

I grew up with a background similar to Derek's, mainly the SBC part. There are two popular radio programs, James Dobson's "Focus on the Family" and Marlin Maddox's "Point of View." Dobson's son may now have a similar program instead of the father.

A few years ago, I had a few minutes to kill on lunch break, so I flipped the radio station to that long unused button and caught a few minutes of one of those shows. They were going on about taking over the judiciary and how important it is to get the right people on the bench and in office.

It was upsetting to me to hear this so blatantly discussed, but this is probably Derek's agenda. That crowd will agree with his Twitter rants and support him moving against JB because JB is not a proper Southern Baptist.

He doesn't have to be brilliant or incisive, he just has to toe the line about marriage for one man, one woman, gender, abortion, etc.

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 2

I hope that part of these changes we see with Jill are because she is now a mother and raising her own kids. I wasn't raised fundy and have pretty liberal parents but I have questioned rules and the way my parents disciplined us and have gone a very different direction with my own kid. A question I often ask myself before telling my child "no" is "why not?" to determine if its something that really deserves a no response or if there really is no harm in letting them have or do what they are asking for. Like with J&D and that little dance party they posted- maybe Jill stopped and asked herself why not? What truly is the harm? There is nothing better than watching your child experience joy and hopefully seeing her kids enjoy things that she didn't get to as a child herself has opened her eyes to the harmful practices her parents adhered to. 

I think tuition for private school can vary vastly from school to school and region to region. My kids will likely go to a private school but its actually not crazy expensive- only about $4-500 a year for elementary age plus extracurriculars. The cost goes up I think to between 2-4k for high school though. 

• Upvote 17

Jill could also work at the school to help with tuition. I have a couple friends who did this, one was the schools nurse, and the other worked as the school secretary. Of course these positions have to be open, and she would have to get some level of education to be able to do the secretarial position, and a lot of education to be a nurse, but I think she would be an amazing nurse. 

• Upvote 8

58 minutes ago, JesSky03 said:

I think tuition for private school can vary vastly from school to school and region to region. My kids will likely go to a private school but its actually not crazy expensive- only about $4-500 a year for elementary age plus extracurriculars. The cost goes up I think to between 2-4k for high school though. 

Yeah, my sister lives in an area with really terrible public schools, so everyone who is working class and up basically sends their kids to some kind of private school. There are a bunch of K-12 schools that are heavily subsidized by evangelical mega churches. My sister, as a young single mother who works a mid-level job in sales, has been able to send my niece to one of these for the past twelve years without actually qualifying for aid.

My sister is Catholic and fairly progressive and actually wishes she could send her to a Catholic school, but they are just too expensive compared to the subsidized evangelical schools. The school my niece attends is decent but there are some issues (sex ed teacher insinuated birth control is for "bad girls" and they hold up Liberty University as if it's on par with UVA and UNC) but the curriculum seems decent and they offer a lot of AP classes. It's definitely more demanding than what Jill received for an education. 

Meanwhile, in my area with really competitive public schools, announcing you send your kids to private school is akin to announcing you just bought a yacht, so I understand why some people are confused as to how the Dillards would afford it. 

• Upvote 13

59 minutes ago, nausicaa said:

Yeah, my sister lives in an area with really terrible public schools, so everyone who is working class and up basically sends their kids to some kind of private school. There are a bunch of K-12 schools that are heavily subsidized by evangelical mega churches. My sister, as a young single mother who works a mid-level job in sales, has been able to send my niece to one of these for the past twelve years without actually qualifying for aid.

My sister is Catholic and fairly progressive and actually wishes she could send her to a Catholic school, but they are just too expensive compared to the subsidized evangelical schools. The school my niece attends is decent but there are some issues (sex ed teacher insinuated birth control is for "bad girls" and they hold up Liberty University as if it's on par with UVA and UNC) but the curriculum seems decent and they offer a lot of AP classes. It's definitely more demanding than what Jill received for an education. 

Meanwhile, in my area with really competitive public schools, announcing you send your kids to private school is akin to announcing you just bought a yacht, so I understand why some people are confused as to how the Dillards would afford it. 

This is another major goal of the right wing, privatizing education. This way they can control what is and isn't taught in the schools. 

• Upvote 20
  • I Agree 6

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic