IGNORED

Dillards 82: Derick Spills the Tea

Coconut Flan

Just now, Idlewild said:

That happens here too- usually with high end corporate firms though. Maybe with his accountancy background he’s looking to do taxation law- can be very lucrative. 

Wouldn't be a bad way to go.  Do you know if he have his CPA or CMA?

I also think it's likely he's going to target faith based firms.  In a secular workplace the huge gaps in employment for grifting (not law school...that one is defensible) and his online presence being what it is will be problematic at best.  

And I know nothing about the market in Arkansas, so take this with a grain of salt, but when someone close to be graduated from a good law school, excellent grades, with their JD finding a job was not easy.  In the Chicago area at that time there were about 100 applicants for every entry level law position.  The days of law or accounting being a safe guarantee of a job were over.

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 1

I just don’t see Derrick working a real legal job for an extended amount of time. Once you start working as an attorney, you realize how it easy was being in law school. It’s not glamorous as on TV.  It can be difficult, tedious and downright boring work for pay that usually is not worth it unless you graduated from a top school and made it into a top firm. He is going to spend 10-12 hours a day at work. New attorneys do the grunt work and, depending on the firm, may never see the inside of a courtroom for months, if not years. Let’s not even take into account that new attorneys know nothing about practicing law and are looked on by older attorneys with amusement when they attempt to show some unearned swagger. It’s why I think it’s laughable the idea that Derrick somehow becomes a threat to the Duggars once ha a law degree. Law school teaches you just enough to be ready to take a bar course to take the bar exam. It does not give you a vast knowledge of any particular legal subject. I just don’t see Derrick as wanting to put in the work to be a good attorney. He doesn’t cross me as a hard worker outside of the classroom. 

• Upvote 28
  • I Agree 5

30 minutes ago, socalrules said:

I just don’t see Derrick working a real legal job for an extended amount of time. Once you start working as an attorney, you realize how it easy was being in law school. It’s not glamorous as on TV.  It can be difficult, tedious and downright boring work for pay that usually is not worth it unless you graduated from a top school and made it into a top firm. He is going to spend 10-12 hours a day at work. New attorneys do the grunt work and, depending on the firm, may never see the inside of a courtroom for months, if not years. Let’s not even take into account that new attorneys know nothing about practicing law and are looked on by older attorneys with amusement when they attempt to show some unearned swagger. It’s why I think it’s laughable the idea that Derrick somehow becomes a threat to the Duggars once ha a law degree. Law school teaches you just enough to be ready to take a bar course to take the bar exam. It does not give you a vast knowledge of any particular legal subject. I just don’t see Derrick as wanting to put in the work to be a good attorney. He doesn’t cross me as a hard worker outside of the classroom. 

I’ve been a lawyer for over 30 years and echo this. I’ve decided to cut my hours- I just need more time for myself these days 

it wouldn’t surprise me if he was hoping for something easier with a Christian organisation or maybe even stay in academia - teaching at a Christian college or something, seeing as he seems to enjoy college life so much.

• Upvote 16
  • Love 2

24 minutes ago, Idlewild said:

I’ve been a lawyer for over 30 years and echo this. I’ve decided to cut my hours- I just need more time for myself these days 

it wouldn’t surprise me if he was hoping for something easier with a Christian organisation or maybe even stay in academia - teaching at a Christian college or something, seeing as he seems to enjoy college life so much.

Or politics.  I mean, bad, bad, bad idea...but I can see him thinking it could give him a leg up in running for office.  And if half the animosity speculated between him and JB is true wouldn't that revenge be a great collateral benefit.

Either running for office or working as a conservative lobbiest or something.

• Upvote 14
  • Rufus Bless 2

2 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Or politics.  I mean, bad, bad, bad idea...but I can see him thinking it could give him a leg up in running for office.  And if half the animosity speculated between him and JB is true wouldn't that revenge be a great collateral benefit.

Either running for office or working as a conservative lobbiest or something.

I can see this. ?

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

4 hours ago, Born Skeptic said:

There are a few states that allow someone to take the bar exam without going to law school.  That is the exception rather than the rule though and very few people are able to pass the bar without a law school background.  

I.e, Kim Kardashian West. 

I wonder who would make a better or shittier lawyer - Derrick or Kimmy K? I actually think Kim is smarter and more hardworking, and that's not saying much. 

• Upvote 14
  • WTF 1
  • I Agree 1

I in no way expect him to work for a law firm/or for very long. He's gonna do some Christian lobbyists shit. He's going to want a cushy job like Josh's DC job. He wants to do little work and feel superior about changing the world.

Edit: Kim KW doesn't get enough credit for all her business wrangling. I think she's built an empire of APPEARING like she doesn't do much. I bet she works hard and plays hard; she'd wipe the floor with Derrick. Although they could have both been smarter about choosing partners.

Edited by FleeJanaFree
  • Upvote 20
  • I Agree 9
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, FleeJanaFree said:

Edit: Kim KW doesn't get enough credit for all her business wrangling. I think she's built an empire of APPEARING like she doesn't do much. I bet she works hard and plays hard; she'd wipe the floor with Derrick. Although they could have both been smarter about choosing partners.

I have to agree with you on this, and she actually seems to really care about things in her community, she's been involved with Parents vs SSFL since after the Woolsey fire.  and has gone to several different events for the group. She actually seems to care about the wider community of people that aren't just in her little circle, and that puts her leaps and bounds above Derick in my eyes. 

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 3

Ya think Dertwit is also enjoying the fact he will become a lawyer and Turd won’t?

Joshly will forever be under JB’s thumb hawking clunkers and Derick will probably end up as in house council for some right wing hate group. Just what Turd wanted but will never have 

• Upvote 23

45 minutes ago, onekidanddone said:

Joshly will forever be under JB’s thumb

I certainly hope he breaks free from his daddy's hold and lives for many years under the umbrella of protection of the Arkansas prison system.

• Upvote 20
  • Haha 13
  • I Agree 13
  • Love 3

7 hours ago, socalrules said:

He is going to spend 10-12 hours a day at work. New attorneys do the grunt work and, depending on the firm, may never see the inside of a courtroom for months, if not years. Let’s not even take into account that new attorneys know nothing about practicing law and are looked on by older attorneys with amusement when they attempt to show some unearned swagger.

I actually forgot that lawyers do things in a court room hahaha. For some reason I've hit the age where I immediately think of office work and other not glamorous stuff. 

It could also be that the idea of being a paralegal and getting to deep dive research shit for money really appeals to me.

• Upvote 12

Derelict's going into public policy. He interned at the Clinton foundation last summer and is in a group of 10 or so students in U of A's pilot program for the specialty. 

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 12

3 minutes ago, marmalade said:

Derelict's going into public policy. He interned at the Clinton foundation last summer and is in a group of 10 or so students in U of A's pilot program for the specialty. 

i did not want to be right about that :( 

• Upvote 12
  • Love 4

25 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Yeah, he's likely headed to politics. Hopefully, behind the scenes,so we don't have to see him on the stump.

• Upvote 11
  • Love 1

Derick is so....not articulate.  In fact, he's a smush mouth.  (I made that word up, but that's what I think when he speaks.)  I think there are too many lawyers everywhere in the US now, but a JD can indeed open doors in other professions. I've hired them when I needed someone to write like a lawyer but not actually act as an attorney.  So, assuming he does graduate, I can see him finding employment.  But he does not come across as dynamic or energetic or persuasive.  No offense to any accountants out there, but being one at Walmart's home office was probably a perfect fit for him. 

Joshley Smuggar at least had a slimy glibness about him that no doubt appealed to dim wingnuts.

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

9 hours ago, freethemall said:

I.e, Kim Kardashian West. 

I wonder who would make a better or shittier lawyer - Derrick or Kimmy K? I actually think Kim is smarter and more hardworking, and that's not saying much. 

Kim actually seems to care about cases though, She was pretty big in the Cyntoia Brown case, I'm by no means a kardashian fan but at least she's using her fame for something good. 

• Upvote 17

8 hours ago, LacyMay said:

It could also be that the idea of being a paralegal and getting to deep dive research shit for money really appeals to me.

It depends where you are, but I think most paralegals do clerical or document review work rather than research. Or the research is pretty shallow.

• Upvote 5

My history on the decline of Derek is fuzzy. As some of you mentioned, he had what sounded like a sweet gig doing accounting at Walmart and was nice and mild-mannered. When did the switch to douchebaggery and pretentiousness occur?

• I Agree 1

10 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Derdick might HOPE to get a legal job in the field of public policy but the reality is that he will settle for any job that he can get after graduation. The legal job market is tight, tight, tight. 

• Upvote 12
  • Downvote 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, AreYouThereGothard? said:

My history on the decline of Derek is fuzzy. As some of you mentioned, he had what sounded like a sweet gig doing accounting at Walmart and was nice and mild-mannered. When did the switch to douchebaggery and pretentiousness occur?

Once he saw who he actually married and what life in Duggarville was truly about. Beyond all else DD was immature and in need of some guidance and support when he married. I think he’s finally getting his sea legs.  Until he fully matures he will not do well in the political arena where honesty IS NOT often well tolerated.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, SportsgalAnnie said:

Kim actually seems to care about cases though, She was pretty big in the Cyntoia Brown case, I'm by no means a kardashian fan but at least she's using her fame for something good. 

And she doesn't just care about big cases with lots of attention, as I stated before the Parents vs. SSFL thing is relatively small and in her community, not necessarily people from her walk of life, in fact most involved are just regular parents, but she seems to genuinely care about these people rather then want to use them as a stepping stone like Derick does. 

To me he seems waaay more interested in "how can I get to washington and be a player there" then "what can I do to help people".

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1

14 hours ago, AreYouThereGothard? said:

I think the following factors sent him on the road to douchebaggery, not any sharp switch,  in approx this order:

Death of dad, leaving him vulnerable

Introduction to evangelism,  introducing patriarchy and all that crap into his head

Tutelage under head douche,  JB

FAME via 19kc then Counting On giving him a public platform and the sweet taste of attention 

Mission in CA to further his platform, self importance,  ego,  Jill's reliance on him

Fallout with TLC/Duggars, adding a good dose of rage to this already toxic mix 

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 4

7 hours ago, freethemall said:

I think the following factors sent him on the road to douchebaggery, not any sharp switch,  in approx this order:

Death of dad, leaving him vulnerable

Introduction to evangelism,  introducing patriarchy and all that crap into his head

Tutelage under head douche,  JB

FAME via 19kc then Counting On giving him a public platform and the sweet taste of attention 

Mission in CA to further his platform, self importance,  ego,  Jill's reliance on him

Fallout with TLC/Duggars, adding a good dose of rage to this already toxic mix 

Also his mother being acutely at the same time he was courting/engaged/newly married. He was in a very vulnerable situation and the Duggars likely seemed solid. I think without the death of his father and his mother’s near death, DD would not have married Jill-

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 7

Finally Google recommended me some relevant articles to my interest! I don't know which I read, but the article pointed out that basically everyone, especially in discussion forum platforms, has known & guessed these things for AGES, now we just got confirmation for the things we knew.

• Confused 2

12 hours ago, SassyPants said:

Also his mother being acutely at the same time he was courting/engaged/newly married. He was in a very vulnerable situation and the Duggars likely seemed solid. I think without the death of his father and his mother’s near death, DD would not have married Jill-

I think this is completely true, now again, speculation and stuff but I do actually have some insight. My family has lived over seas since May of 2009. And we still do, all together, now though, my parents are going through a rather messy divorce, the nearest family is thousands of miles away, and all of our visa's hinge on my dad. So it's been stressful to say the least. My sister is 18, has a boyfriend in Seattle, and is moving there in March to marry him. She's known him 6 months. They've been dating for 4 months. All long distance. She's seen him in person twice, once when he came here at the start of their dating, once when we were there for Chistmas. 100% she would not be doing this if not for our family situation.

The attraction to 'insta family' is a very real and strong thing. Add in a guy like Jim Bob, who is an expert at reeling people in, and you're basically screwed. Now Derick is definitely at fault for this stuff, they are after all, his choices, but they were his choices made when his family was falling apart, so the attraction to build a new and stable one was pretty strong. Unfortunately those choices have put him in a place where he' doesn't appear very happy, and I have to agree I don't think he'd've married Jill had his life not been where it was. I think he loved (and still does love) Jill, but in a family like that you can't exactly got to the inlaws twice a year around the holidays. You're in it full force. And I think that would've been a major turn off for Derick at any other time in his life. 

• Upvote 19
  • I Agree 4

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic