IGNORED

New Year's Lucky Foods

HerNameIsBuffy

We were talking about this in the JRod forum and thought it deserved it's own thread for those who are too scared of Jill to peek behind that weird ass curtain.

Lots of us have customs/superstitions/traditions for food(s) one needs to eat at New Years for luck the following year - please share yours.

I'll start...pickled herring and egg nog before midnight on NYE.  The herring is the original tradition and my dad added the egg nog for me as a kid as a bribe to eat the herring ...now it's our own gross family thing.  But the herring is what counts (it's a German thing, my dad was born there.)

• Upvote 1

I never knew it was a thing to bring in good luck by eating something until I dated a guy who "had" to eat black eyed peas, despite hating them.

My family always ate crab on New Year's eve, probably because my dad liked it. Which was weird, in hindsight, as I'm sure my mom never ate shellfish in her life. I liked the butter. I still love butter. Pretty sure most seafoods are just an excuse for people to deliver butters into their face. 

• Upvote 3

19 minutes ago, Maggie Mae said:

Pretty sure most seafoods are just an excuse for people to deliver butters into their face. 

I agree.  I love lobster and find it a sacrilege to have it any other way except drenched in butter.

• Upvote 3

We don't do specific foods but we always have an open house on New Year's Day. My parents started the tradition more than 40 years ago before they got married. We typically get 50-60 people over the course of the day. In the past we would cook and serve a large buffet (25-30 items) but we're cutting back this year as my parents are getting older and can't handle everything (especially with my mother's Alzheimer's). 

• Upvote 4

I'm in trouble.  There seems to be a run on pickled herring in our area - 3 stores were out.  One of my sons is on a quest now, but we may end up with my first herringless NYE in my entire life.

I am not supersticious, but like Michael Scott I'm a little sticious :) , but if there is anything to the luck thing I'm screwed because my life sucks even without extra bad luck.

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I'm in trouble.  There seems to be a run on pickled herring in our area - 3 stores were out.  One of my sons is on a quest now, but we may end up with my first herringless NYE in my entire life.

It's a supply problem - fish have been on a constant decline as ocean waters warm. 

Add in Capitalism and ... Well, Alaska Fisheries sell to Japan before the US. Other fisheries found more money in selling herring as bait for lobster. 

13 minutes ago, Maggie Mae said:

It's a supply problem - fish have been on a constant decline as ocean waters warm. 

Add in Capitalism and ... Well, Alaska Fisheries sell to Japan before the US. Other fisheries found more money in selling herring as bait for lobster. 

I think they need to diversify their market.  There are plenty of jars of creamed and some other kind of herring on the shelves  just no pickeld.

....YAY my boy just came in with two jars.  4th store the charm!

• Upvote 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.