• Banana
  • Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
Coconut Flan

Lori Alexander 74: Anniversary Pain

Lgirlrocks

WWJD?F8BDCB1B-684A-4F15-ADA9-4618A82220CD.thumb.png.63fe7a5ccf3af53517e5da541c760d0c.png

hollyfeller
7 minutes ago, Lgirlrocks said:

WWJD?F8BDCB1B-684A-4F15-ADA9-4618A82220CD.thumb.png.63fe7a5ccf3af53517e5da541c760d0c.png

But exceptions don't disprove the rule that you are indeed a vile woman, Lori

5 hours ago, Sweet Caroline said:

Lori loves to throw “The Tightwad Gazette” as a way to live on one income. Sure Lori, I am going to use a book from 1992 to give me advice to save money. I am not going to use bread bags for diapers, make a hammock out of plastic soda pop rings, create Christmas ornaments out of soup cans, or even attempt to make my own baby formula. Most of the advice skimps on proper hygiene, but the best is only washing your hair once, not rinse and repeat. Don’t know how I would have thought of that one on my own. None of them are ideas that Lori has or would ever use. I wonder if she gets royalties every time she mentions this outdated book. 

Plus, the paperback is $19!  Just don't buy the book and you've saved plenty!

livinglongerthanyou

I did a little research on the speakers of the convention. One is a felon - grand theft auto. Molyneux of course is an alt-right misogynist who believes in eugenics. Another is alt-right and pro-rape, who unsurprisingly was charged with rape. One is a professional groomer - as in men's groomer. The organizer is a con man. No woman is safe at this conference.

Lori promoted this because the con man stroked her ego.

Here is a link to an article about the pro-rape guy. Warning: It's graphic

https://www.splcenter.org/fighting-hate/extremist-files/individual/mike-cernovich

Edited by livinglongerthanyou
added a sentence

SongRed7
14 hours ago, Sweet Caroline said:

Lori loves to throw “The Tightwad Gazette” as a way to live on one income

I am pretty frugal and am good at saving money.  Even if I followed some of these tips, what are you saving a week? $20? $30?  Let's say you can save $100 a week.  That in no way covers what I would lose in salary by quitting my job or would suddenly reduce out basic needs. 

Those tips might help tighten up a loose budget, but it is NOT the magic answer for women not working. Once again, preaching to the choir, but Lori has NO CLUE how real people live. 

Edited by SongRed7

Depressed
Loveday
2 hours ago, SongRed7 said:

I am pretty frugal and am good at saving money.  Even if I followed some of these tips, what are you saving a week? $20? $30?  Let's say you can save $100 a week.  That in no way covers what I would lose in salary by quitting my job or would suddenly reduce out basic needs. 

Those tips might help tighten up a loose budget, but it is NOT the magic answer for women not working. Once again, preaching to the choir, but Lori has NO CLUE how real people live. 

What Lori never points out is that Dacyzyn and her family lived on $30,000 a year in the EIGHTIES, not the Nineties when her first book came out. And I don't care what Lori's leghumpers say, it cannot be done in the 2020s on that kind of money. Not if you want to have any sort of quality of life whatsoever. Lori conveniently ignores the fact that quality of life is important. Sure, you can live frugally and without a lot of extras, but what she advocates is so extreme that you'd be miserable doing it the way she tells you to do it.

Of course, misery is good, right? For everyone else, not for Lori. We're not supposed to expect happiness in this world. :my_dodgy:

Waffle Time
smittykins
13 hours ago, Sarah92 said:

Is anyone rich enough to buy all the tickets to that convention and then burn them? Any secret millionaires? I’d bring marshmallows. We could have a bonfire. 

I’ll bring the 🌭!

(Good ones, not those disgusting things Bro Gary likes.)

• Upvote 4
  • WTF 1
  • Haha 1

Wine time!
Imrlgoddess
33 minutes ago, Loveday said:

What Lori never points out is that Dacyzyn and her family lived on $30,000 a year in the EIGHTIES, not the Nineties when her first book came out.

Lori made that comment & said $30k was poverty level. At that time, it was not. She's such a piviledged fool. She has no idea what actual poverty is. 

"For example, the average poverty threshold for a family of four was $12,674 in 1989 but $13,359 in 1990. Average poverty thresholds in 1990 varied from $6,652 for a person living alone to $26,848 for a family of nine or more members" 

Per census.gov. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 3

Wine time!
klein_roeschen
3 hours ago, SongRed7 said:

My brother's salaray alone would barelly cover our expenses with a very limited mealplan. No extras, no money to safe for emergencies or the health insurance that I'm requiered to have. Said insurance fee is with no income around 80 € a month. So to stay home and us 2 don't live on bread and water, I have to get on welfare. While they pay my health insurance, they also expect me to do everything to get a job, well catch 22. And I'm very frugal too, look for offers and am extremly lucky that I have 4 different grocery stores in 15 minutes walking distance, 3 of them discounter supermarkets.

louisa05
1 hour ago, Loveday said:

What Lori never points out is that Dacyzyn and her family lived on $30,000 a year in the EIGHTIES, not the Nineties when her first book came out. And I don't care what Lori's leghumpers say, it cannot be done in the 2020s on that kind of money. Not if you want to have any sort of quality of life whatsoever. Lori conveniently ignores the fact that quality of life is important. Sure, you can live frugally and without a lot of extras, but what she advocates is so extreme that you'd be miserable doing it the way she tells you to do it.

Of course, misery is good, right? For everyone else, not for Lori. We're not supposed to expect happiness in this world. :my_dodgy:

I put $30,000 in for 1985 on an online inflation calculator just now. It’s equivalent to $71,647 today. 

Depressed
Loveday
24 minutes ago, louisa05 said:

I put $30,000 in for 1985 on an online inflation calculator just now. It’s equivalent to $71,647 today. 

Wow. $71,647 is still not enormous wealth for a family of six kids as Dacyzyn's was, but it does put things into some perspective, doesn't it? Not that Lori understands perspective. And not to mention that I'm pretty sure Amy had access to extra military benefits at the time, too; I know they were stationed here in southeastern VA for awhile before moving to Maine. Not sure if her husband retired after 20 years or not; if he did, he'd have been getting retirement pay in the years since, as well as benefiting from Tricare and access to commissaries and exchanges. There's just so much more to the Tightwad story that Lori conveniently ignores. :my_dodgy:

SongRed7
2 hours ago, Imrlgoddess said:

Lori made that comment & said $30k was poverty level. At that time, it was not. She's such a piviledged fool. She has no idea what actual poverty is. 

Its the same argument she tries to make about her college only costing $3600 a year for everything.  That was in 1970s....that's equivalent to $15,000 or more now.   I want to scream everytime she says that!

Unimpressed
delphinium65

Well, crap.  Lori is making me want to throw away my Tightwad Gazettes.  

I know the TG isn't going to be useful for everyone, and IIRC the author does mention that there is a level below which making it simply is not possible, but I have used quite a few of her suggestions, and some of her ideas have led me to others that I might not have thought of otherwise, so for me it's helpful.  

kpmom

I really wonder if Lori has an understanding of basic money concepts.  I really do.

She's had so many people write and tell they could absolutely not get by on one salary, and she comes back with grow your own food, sew your own clothes.

As one of our posters above said, that would hardly make up for wages lost by staying home.

Does she get at all that health insurance alone for a middle class family is almost the equivalent of a mortgage payment?

Wine time!
klein_roeschen
30 minutes ago, kpmom said:

I really wonder if Lori has an understanding of basic money concepts.  I really do.

She's had so many people write and tell they could absolutely not get by on one salary, and she comes back with grow your own food, sew your own clothes.

As one of our posters above said, that would hardly make up for wages lost by staying home.

Does she get at all that health insurance alone for a middle class family is almost the equivalent of a mortgage payment?

No, I don't think that Lori has a basic money concept. Between her grow your own food, sew your own clothes and her idea of a healthy diet with organic food, 14 $ a pound butter and magic sourdough einkorn bread, she is totally clueless about the day to day cost of living. I would be very surprised if she knows what Ken is making with his job or what the utilities of their house cost or the amount of other bills. She is the spoiled rotten princess in her castle in the sky looking down on us other women for doing what is nessesary to go by in life, all the while telling us how to live our lifes to her rules.

Edited by klein_roeschen
weird wording

Wine time!
Maggie Mae
15 minutes ago, klein_roeschen said:

No, I don't think that Lori has a basic money concept.

Lori is a moron who thinks that because she is stupid, all women are stupid. She won't be happy until every woman is dragged down to her level of misery, as if she can't have happiness, no one should. She's the crab in the bucket who jumps on the other crabs to keep them in the bucket. 

Unimpressed
delphinium65
47 minutes ago, kpmom said:

I don't think Lori gives a damn if anyone (other than herself) has health insurance, or any kind of healthcare.  As long as she can keep women imprisoned in their homes she's happy.  

Wine time!
Maggie Mae
2 minutes ago, delphinium65 said:

I don't think Lori gives a damn if anyone (other than herself) has health insurance, or any kind of healthcare.  As long as she can keep women imprisoned in their homes she's happy.  

For all of her talk about "biblical living" has she ever read the parts about Jesus? 

Specifically: Jesus answered, "If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."

Jesus ate fish and bread, not magical $14 butter. Figs and olive oil, not slimy "big salad." He also spoke to women in public, which goes against the custom of the time, he allowed women to be his disciples, and he was kind and compassionate. 

Lori should spend more time reading and reflecting, instead of "teaching." 

Depressed
Loveday
1 hour ago, delphinium65 said:

Well, crap.  Lori is making me want to throw away my Tightwad Gazettes.  

I know the TG isn't going to be useful for everyone, and IIRC the author does mention that there is a level below which making it simply is not possible, but I have used quite a few of her suggestions, and some of her ideas have led me to others that I might not have thought of otherwise, so for me it's helpful.  

I still have my TGs as well, bought them back in the early 90s when I had two small kids and my husband had just left the military and started teaching school. We weren't making any more than Amy's husband at the time, so her books were very helpful for us (I never saved the styrofoam plates from raw hamburger, though! LOL). And they can still be helpful today, with some small adjustments for inflation and other factors. I just hate the way Lori throws the TG at women as though they're THE answer to all their single-income budgetary problems. That, and 'Laine's Letters,' which I think also originated in the 80s and so are somewhat outdated. Lori throws them at women, too. 

Wine time!
Sweet Caroline
1 hour ago, kpmom said:

But how many of her followers admit to not having health insurance?  That’s like playing Russian roulette with your life and bank account. 

Lori doesn’t pay the bills. She doesn’t know what life costs. She gets her allowance from Ken and buys $14 butter and the ingredients for her slime salad. Once in awhile she splurges and buys a floral shirt her fans rave about. 

Unimpressed
delphinium65
49 minutes ago, Maggie Mae said:

For all of her talk about "biblical living" has she ever read the parts about Jesus? 

If she ever has they went right over her poor silly little-woman head, and never got anywhere near her heart.  

hollyfeller
10 hours ago, SongRed7 said:

Its the same argument she tries to make about her college only costing $3600 a year for everything.  That was in 1970s....that's equivalent to $15,000 or more now.   I want to scream everytime she says that!

She's a nut.  My public university tuition was cheaper than that in the late 90's!

9 hours ago, kpmom said:

And my personal favorite, grow your own cotton......to make fabric to make your own clothes.

Botkinetti

Lori focuses on money because she is afraid her followers will leave their homes and discover how hollow her words are. Living in abject poverty with children that keep coming must be terrifying. If you can convince yourself you are somehow holier than other women it must help you get through the day. 

I worked for the money. We needed it but there are intangibles that her fans will never know. It was my brain and work ethic that was recognized. I had to figure out how to get along with a diverse group of co-workers and customers and by figuring it out I learned my way was not the only way to lead a happy life. 

I’m assuming Ken has good savings and life insurance so Lori will go on believing that she is blessed by God but her followers will end up scrambling when their husbands die or retire. Their lives already sound awful to me but I believe their old age will be even worse.

Frog99
1 hour ago, Botkinetti said:

I’m assuming Ken has good savings and life insurance so Lori will go on believing that she is blessed by God but her followers will end up scrambling when their husbands die or retire. Their lives already sound awful to me but I believe their old age will be even worse.

Many of them talk about having children as insurance for when they are older, never mind the challenges that places on young families. It’s also quite an assumption- that family will do it, that the health needs won’t be greater than the ability to provide care, etc. I think it’s a really poor plan. 

Waffle Time
Hane

@Frog99, you’re absolutely right—using your kids for your retirement plan is risky. Family dynamics can be messy, and there’s no guarantee your kids will survive you. My friend Jan was an only child, born when his mother was 45. (For many years, she thought she couldn’t have children, so she was a foster mother for a long time.) When she reached her 80s, he brought her to live with him. He was a devoted son—even took her on a cruise. Then one day, he called us to say he had bad news. We fully expected to hear that she had passed away—but the news was worse: He had AIDS, and didn’t live till his 40th birthday. We offered to have her come live with us, but she chose to move back to her home town to a nursing home there.

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 7
  • Love 1

Black Aliss

I can't begin to keep up with the Adventures of Lori and Ken, so apologies if this has already been mentioned. Robyn Pennacchia of Wonkette.com has Lori in her sights again, this time for her most recent fat-shaming. Not for the first time I'm thinking at least some of the wonkette staff are reading here. If so, <waves> "hi! I'm a huge fan of yours."