IGNORED

No good ending here: Idaho mom dead, other kids missing

Howl

10 hours ago, Howl said:

Interesting.   In Texas, a jury must be "death penalty qualified" in a capital murder case where a guilty verdict can result in death penalty or LWOP.   Generally,  "Death-qualified juries are composed of jurors who are not strictly opposed to capital punishment but who also do not believe that the death penalty should be imposed in all cases of capital murder."

It will be much easier to seat a jury when death penalty is off the table and I'd think easier to gain a conviction as well. Of course, if Lori would just fess up and save everyone a lot of trouble...

Those are good reasons to oppose the death penalty in general. It's easier to find a jury and easier to convict. 

• I Agree 3

During voir dire for death penalty cases all potential jurors are asked about their opinion on the death penalty.  If you are opposed, then you cannot sit on that jury.  There is some speculation that one of the jurors in the Parkland HS shooter trial was not completely honest about her opinion on the death penalty.  Other jurors have stated post deliberation that she could not be persuaded to vote for the death penalty because she thought the shooter was mentally ill.  Personally, I don't know if he would meet my personal definition of mentally ill that would explain an ineligibility for the death penalty. 

• Upvote 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic