IGNORED

No good ending here: Idaho mom dead, other kids missing

Howl

15 hours ago, Chickenbutt said:

Vallow-Daybell trial will not be televised, judge rules | krem.com

Cameras banned in the courtroom. 

I'm fine with this; it will keep the entire proceeding from turning into a total circus. 

Cameras in the courtroom are banned in many trials.

However, for many it is a travesty. 

• Upvote 3

There are family and others who can't be there in person who would definitely want to watch, so I do get that. 

Part of me feels like it's already done.  Lori has been in jail since Feb. 2020, when she was first arrested in Hawaii. Chad checked into the gray-bar hotel in June 2020 and hasn't left.  Neither of them will ever be free.    Given the evidence, the numerous murders and attempted murder of Brandon Boudreaux, I can't see a jury deciding they are innocent.  

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

Chad wants his trial severed from Lori, and delayed until Fall 2023.  Chad's lawyer says he can't possibly be ready for a death penalty trial in January 2023, even though originally that lawyer, in a hearing in Dec. 2021, requested a trial date of Oct 2022 and the judge set the trial date for January 2023. 

A LOT of information on trial strategy and outcome could be gleaned from Lori's trial and would deeply influence trial strategy for Chad's lawyer, so a request to sever makes a lot of sense. 

From the East Idaho News article linked below:  In a motion to sever, Prior argued that having Chad Daybell tried with Lori Daybell would deprive his client of his constitutional right to present a complete defense. Prior said he plans to introduce “prior bad acts of both Ms. Vallow and Alex Cox (Lori Daybell’s deceased brother), as well as evidence regarding their relationship and the death of Mr. Cox.”

This is interesting and possibly heading for a "that bad woman brought a good man down!" defense?  In a sense it's not wrong. Had Chad not met Lori, he'd still be schlepping along, writing wing-nut books, being a stand-up Mormon father of five. 

All the details here: Chad Daybell asks for trial to be postponed and wants it separate from Lori Vallow Daybell

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 4

Good grief!  As noted above, Chad wants his trial severed from Lori's trial.

But that's not all! He wants cameras in the courtroom and the proceeds live streamed!  Chad Daybell wants cameras in the courtroom for his trial

And the Jan 2023 trial date has been vacated in order to re-evaluate Lori's competency to stand trial.  It's not known how this will ultimately affect Chad's request to sever his trial from Lori.  

Trial no longer set for January as judge suspends Lori Vallow Daybell case

Also some back and forth on whether Chad will be able to wear street clothes to the next hearing.  Probably not since it won't be televised and cameras won't be allowed. 

Edited by Howl
  • Thank You 5

• 4 weeks later...

Chad Daybell’s trial in Ada County postponed after wife’s case was suspended (aol.com)

After Lori Vallow Case Murder Stalls, Judge Postpones Trial for Husband Chad Daybell (msn.com)

The murder trial for Chad Daybell will not be held in January.

In a decision issued late Friday, District Judge Steven Boyce granted a motion filed by John Prior, Daybell’s attorney, to continue the jury trial to a later date. Prior said he could be ready for court proceedings, scheduled to begin Jan. 9 in Ada County, but due to “significant” amounts of evidence, he asked to have the trial delayed.

“Despite the preparations the court has already taken at considerable time and expense (including multiple on-site visits and coordination efforts with Ada County, wherein counsel for the parties have also at times been present) to hold this trial in January, this trial must be vacated and continued,” Boyce wrote.

More at link

• Thank You 4

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, just listened to the first episode of the Hidden True Crime Heather Daybell interview.  

Heather is polished, smart, mentally organized, appropriately forthcoming and def bringing the tea in many areas, especially family dynamics. 

So interesting that when Heather called Chad to offer condolences and asked Chad specifically what happened, Chad had a very "scripted" response. He claimed that Tammy "choked" to death and Heather got a very bad feeling that something wasn't right with the entire scenario.  Chad also insisted on no autopsy, and holding the funeral TWO DAYS after Tammy died, even though some of the Daybell family were out of town, would have difficulty returning in time and specifically asked Chad to delay the funeral.  Chad literally wanted to get Tammy in the ground ASAP. 

Also, Tammy's death didn't happen in the middle of the night -- it was 6:00 or 6:30 in the morning when Tammy rolled off the bed, and Chad realized immediately that Tammy was dead.  Which in itself doesn't make sense.  Tammy is alive enough to roll off the bed, but is immediately and obviously dead?

Heather also alluded to ending her faith journey with the Mormon church, but hasn't discussed this further. 

Episodes 2 and 3 a bit later. 

Edited by Howl
  • Thank You 5

On 11/16/2022 at 5:06 PM, Chickenbutt said:

Lori Vallow competent to stand trial over children's murders, Idaho judge rules | Fox News

Lori is competent to stand trial. 

...and the judge has declined to sever the trial, so Lori and Chad will be tried together on some not yet determined date. 

Meanwhile, they're both in jail and will be in jail.  

• Thank You 5

• 1 month later...

Lori has alibis

Attorneys claim Lori Vallow Daybell has alibis for when kids, Tammy Daybell were killed (msn.com)

SWAFFORD LAW OFFICE, CHARTERED (idaho.gov)

the second link is the document....(i hope)

Edited by Chickenbutt
  • Thank You 1

Lori Vallow gives notice of alibi and Chad Daybell seeks delay in trial (msn.com) 

Lori wants the death penalty taken off the table cuz she had nothing to do with anything

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

Lori can have an alibi, BUT she handed over JJ to Alex to be murdered that night, while she hung out in her apartment with friends and never seemed curious that JJ and Tylee HAD DISAPPEARED.  I think at this point there's no way around that she was involved; it's just a matter of convincing the jury of the DEGREE to which she was involved. 

A tox screen from JJ will likely show he was drugged, even with something like Benadryl.   I have no idea how Tylee fit into the timeline or how she was lured or incapacitated and taken to the place where she was murdered.   Was Tylee murdered in a shed at Chad's house? She was dismembered -- there had to be blood everywhere.  Was Alex a fan of shows like Dexter and had a LOT of plastic sheeting on hand that he disposed of elsewhere to cover up evidence of that horrible crime? 

Second question.  JJ wasn't buried really. He was wrapped in plastic, placed in a shallow depression and covered with plywood/boards.  Was the plan to move his body at some point?  Rexburg is in a broad valley; there is public land very close by with easy access to more remote areas in the mountains. 

Any of y'all wonder if Alex was a serial killer and all the murders related to LorCh (Lori + Chad) were not his first rodeo? Charles Vallow's murder is a good example of zero remorse.  Remember that Alex took his first shot while Charles was standing, and the second shot was taken while Charles was on the floor, so basically an execution. Cold. Alex was also a truck driver at one point, driving around here and there across numerous states.  Perfect set up for a serial killer. 

It's still horrible to contemplate the utter depravity of Lori, Chad, Alex. 

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 7

• 1 month later...

Lori and Chad were in court yesterday. As usual, Prior whined. Lori looked at Chad. Chad stared straight ahead....lol

Vallow, Daybell in court for pretrial hearing as trial looms | Local News | kpvi.com

Lori Vallow-Daybell and Chad Daybell appear in court for a pretrial conference - Grandparents prepare for trial (msn.com)

+ other sites

• Upvote 3

Idaho judge severs Chad Daybell, Lori Vallow case; trials will be held separately (msn.com)

Apparently the cases have been severed.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 6

The news just said that Lori will go to trial April 3rd. Chad's trial will be after that. Raise your hand if you think Lori will put all the blame on Chad and Alex. 🙋‍♀️

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2

22 hours ago, Chickenbutt said:

The news just said that Lori will go to trial April 3rd. Chad's trial will be after that. Raise your hand if you think Lori will put all the blame on Chad and Alex. 🙋‍♀️

Whoever goes first has the advantage…I’m surprised Chad’s lawyer didn’t fight to go first.

• Upvote 4

I think Chad's lawyer will watch closely what happens to Lori and Chad will take a plea deal to keep him from the death penalty. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, DalmatianCat said:

Whoever goes first has the advantage…I’m surprised Chad’s lawyer didn’t fight to go first.

Chad waived his right to a speedy trial, Lori did not. I think that's the main reason for the severance.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2

• 2 weeks later...

I read on Twitter from one of the Law and Crime reporters/pod casters that the court plans on charging for the audio stream of the hearing.  It will be $100 a day so the reporter estimated that it would $6,000 for the entire trial.  (See Pretty Lies and Alibis Twitter).

Will they charge the media? And will the media provide us poor people the audio for free? Is that even legal? 

• Upvote 1

Idaho 'Cult Mom' Lori Vallow no longer facing possibility of death penalty if convicted as trial looms | Fox News

Idaho not seeking death penalty in Lori Vallow case | 12news.com

No death penalty for Lori. The same does not apply to Chad however. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

11 hours ago, Chickenbutt said:

Idaho not seeking death penalty in Lori Vallow case | 12news.com

Interesting.   In Texas, a jury must be "death penalty qualified" in a capital murder case where a guilty verdict can result in death penalty or LWOP.   Generally,  "Death-qualified juries are composed of jurors who are not strictly opposed to capital punishment but who also do not believe that the death penalty should be imposed in all cases of capital murder."

It will be much easier to seat a jury when death penalty is off the table and I'd think easier to gain a conviction as well.  Of course, if Lori would just fess up and save everyone a lot of trouble...

• Upvote 4

• Coconut Flan locked this topic