IGNORED

Pa and Pioneer Girl

HerNameIsBuffy

HerNameIsBuffy

I'll kick this off...Did anyone find their opinion of Charles change significantly after reading Pioneer Girl?  

Mine did.  All people are multifaceted and of course she idealized him in her children's series, but I came away thinking if we were around with FJ back then we'd be calling Pa on his grifting - even for the time.

As a daddy's girl myself I get idealizing your father and glossing over the flaws...but I think he was selfish and reckless ...and his morals seemed to shift with his ulterior motives.  Not an evil man just super flawed.

Doesn't help that Michael Landon made him into the most perfect Mary Sue who ever Mary Sued on the small screen.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 5
clueliss

It hadn't struck me until reading this (and the associated thread here) that the man was antsy pantsy and forced his whole family to move repeatedly across the country to fulfill his whims.  

• Upvote 6
HerNameIsBuffy
2 minutes ago, clueliss said:

It hadn't struck me until reading this (and the associated thread here) that the man was antsy pantsy and forced his whole family to move repeatedly across the country to fulfill his whims.  

And more than once moved them out of town to escape debts he'd run up.  

I want to apologize for the redundancy.  I had been gone for a while and just realized the thread that kicked this off was so long and talked about this very thing.

TWOP rule of reading back the last 15 pages before commenting was a good one!  Sorry guys!

• Upvote 5
catlady

I wonder whether Pa felt pressured to conform by settling down and marrying when he did.  His inclination to wander around the country makes me wonder if he would have been happier staying single and following his pursuits on his own terms. 

I recall reading that he had wanted to keep going west and see the Pacific Ocean.  I don't know whether he ever took a trip to the coast, but Ma had finally put her foot down and insisted that DeSmet was their final home; she was not moving anymore.

• Upvote 9
hoipolloi

IIRC, Charles and Caroline were one of two or three pairs of married siblings from their two families. Their ages at marriage (Caroline at 20-21 & Charles at 24) don't seem out of line though I do not know what average ages at marriage were for 1860. It is interesting to me that Charles somehow evaded fighting on the Union side for the Civil War. He was certainly of age to enlist or be conscripted, and not ill or otherwise physically unable to serve. OTOH, Caroline had a brother who died in the Civil War. 

I will say that I was absolutely delighted with Caroline Fraser's open disgust for Michael Landon (and his bare chest & abs) as Pa. My sentiments exactly. 

Oh, and thank you @HerNameIsBuffy for starting this club!

Edited by hoipolloi
Clarity
  • Upvote 7
  • Love 1

• Recent Status Updates

• Jasmar

Jasmar

My uncle just died from COVID. He wasn’t that much older than I am, so I kind of grew up with him. Just ten days ago my mom had been pleading with him to get vaccinated, but he wanted to wait to make sure the shots were really safe. I’m kind of devastated.
      · 4 replies
    • PumaLover

PumaLover

I just found out my little bonus kid is in a treatment center on a suicide watch tonight. He and I share a hobby and a couple weeks back he opened up to me that he's severely depressed and was wanting to hurt himself. I let his parents know and thankfully he had also been talking to them. I'm just heartbroken because him being in this center means that his parents had to call 911 and have him admitted and I know that was so hard for them to do. He's a young kid and has his whole life ahead of him but just wants to end it all and I don't know how to help him. 
      · 5 replies
    • HerNameIsBuffy

HerNameIsBuffy

Middle aged woman with mommy issues...but missing her today.
      She got so much wrong with me, but she had the best intentions and tried so hard. 
      She got so much right, too.  I forget that sometimes.  Sometimes I remember and dismiss it out of spite.  
      “They did the best they could with the tools they had.”  I forgot where I first heard that but I’ve carried it with me like a mantra since my parents passed.   They truly did.  Whatever else was missing, whatever I needed that they couldn’t give, the love was always there.  

Always. 
      That’s something.
      My confidence in my own abilities.  Faith in my own power.  My own strength.  They gave me that, too.
      That’s also something.  
      They’re why I’m messed up, but they’re also why I’m okay.  

Shit’s complicated.
      She died before I figured out how smart she really was.  Sad thing is I don’t think ever figured that out for herself.  
      Ignore me - just crying in my car waiting to pick up my son.  

· 1 reply
    • CuttySark

CuttySark

The nice thing about posting about Jewish history is how quickly it flushes out the antisemites. 😘
      · 2 replies
    • choralcrusader8613

choralcrusader8613

I've been feeling a shitload of this for a while now about various types of Christians tbh.

· 0 replies
    • HerNameIsBuffy

HerNameIsBuffy

It's Friday so yay!  But sweet Jesus I need it to be the end of the day already.  Crappy week and I'm so ready for it to be over.

· 0 replies
    • nst

nst

I got vaccinated yesterday. In the am I got the email and I was  vaccinated 
      · 0 replies
    • PsyD2013

PsyD2013

Exhausted. I need a weekend off the grid.

· 0 replies
    • 47of74

47of74

This will make the internetz explode. 
      · 1 reply
    • indianabones

indianabones

Making my fifth offer on a house tomorrow! I've gotten pretty attached to this one, too... fingers crossed!
      · 2 replies
  • Recent Blog Entries

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.