IGNORED

Pa and Pioneer Girl

HerNameIsBuffy

HerNameIsBuffy

I'll kick this off...Did anyone find their opinion of Charles change significantly after reading Pioneer Girl?  

Mine did.  All people are multifaceted and of course she idealized him in her children's series, but I came away thinking if we were around with FJ back then we'd be calling Pa on his grifting - even for the time.

As a daddy's girl myself I get idealizing your father and glossing over the flaws...but I think he was selfish and reckless ...and his morals seemed to shift with his ulterior motives.  Not an evil man just super flawed.

Doesn't help that Michael Landon made him into the most perfect Mary Sue who ever Mary Sued on the small screen.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 5
clueliss

It hadn't struck me until reading this (and the associated thread here) that the man was antsy pantsy and forced his whole family to move repeatedly across the country to fulfill his whims.  

• Upvote 6
HerNameIsBuffy
2 minutes ago, clueliss said:

It hadn't struck me until reading this (and the associated thread here) that the man was antsy pantsy and forced his whole family to move repeatedly across the country to fulfill his whims.  

And more than once moved them out of town to escape debts he'd run up.  

I want to apologize for the redundancy.  I had been gone for a while and just realized the thread that kicked this off was so long and talked about this very thing.

TWOP rule of reading back the last 15 pages before commenting was a good one!  Sorry guys!

• Upvote 5
catlady

I wonder whether Pa felt pressured to conform by settling down and marrying when he did.  His inclination to wander around the country makes me wonder if he would have been happier staying single and following his pursuits on his own terms. 

I recall reading that he had wanted to keep going west and see the Pacific Ocean.  I don't know whether he ever took a trip to the coast, but Ma had finally put her foot down and insisted that DeSmet was their final home; she was not moving anymore.

• Upvote 9
hoipolloi

IIRC, Charles and Caroline were one of two or three pairs of married siblings from their two families. Their ages at marriage (Caroline at 20-21 & Charles at 24) don't seem out of line though I do not know what average ages at marriage were for 1860. It is interesting to me that Charles somehow evaded fighting on the Union side for the Civil War. He was certainly of age to enlist or be conscripted, and not ill or otherwise physically unable to serve. OTOH, Caroline had a brother who died in the Civil War. 

I will say that I was absolutely delighted with Caroline Fraser's open disgust for Michael Landon (and his bare chest & abs) as Pa. My sentiments exactly. 

Oh, and thank you @HerNameIsBuffy for starting this club!

Edited by hoipolloi
Clarity
  • Upvote 7
  • Love 1

• Recent Status Updates

• Destiny

Destiny

I survived ... Ish. I'm all moved again, another 1500 miles from where the cats and I were living before. I'm in the new apartment, and kitties are adjusting well. I've only cried 6 times since Saturday! #progress.
      By the way, sorry about the summer logo swap taking its sweet time. Real life was a little too much and it got forgotten. 
      · 0 replies
    • HermioneSparrow

HermioneSparrow

Please pray for me as I'm battling covid and not doing so well. 
      · 17 replies
    • WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo?

WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo?

A happy summer solstice to all northern hemisphere FJers! And a happy winter solstice to all southern hemisphere FJers! (I know it's already Monday is Australia, so I'm late for most of you.)

ETA--Oh! I just checked, and the winter solstice is at 1:31 PM on Monday, June 21 in Eastern Australia Time. So, for once the time zones worked in my favor. I'm not late!
      · 0 replies
    • Bluebirdbluebell

Bluebirdbluebell

I'm so angry at the Bishops right now. Shit like this is why I left the Catholic church. They play politics so blatantly.  I hope this convinces more people to leave. 
      · 1 reply
    • Destiny

Destiny

I’m okay. I can do this. 

(I’m not okay.)
      · 6 replies
    • Destiny

Destiny

I have an extremely stressful weekend coming up. If you can spare me and the kitties some good thoughts I’d appreciate it. 
      · 1 reply
    • Mrs Ms

Mrs Ms

One of my siblings has a work related thing coming up where they get to visit a fundie place. Has promised a detailed rundown of the encounter for me and another sibling via video chat. Not that I am jealous or anything….
      · 1 reply
    • BemusedByFundamentalism

BemusedByFundamentalism

My in-laws gifted me a hand crank Singer 127k family piece for my birthday. It's from 1926... whoaaahh I feel so loved! Any tips are welcome 😃
      · 4 replies
    • 47of74

47of74

They don't make movies like that anymore....

And...oh yeah.  KHAAAANNNNNNNNNNNN!
      · 0 replies
    • HerNameIsBuffy

HerNameIsBuffy

My grandmother came from a town in Missouri of (now) population ~14,500 and 8 Baptist churches.  Not counting all the other denominations, that's just the Baptists.  
      MY grandfather came from Drimoleauge, Ireland which has a current population of ~450 people (not a typo) and 1 church and 5 pubs.  
      If I get a time machine take a wild guess which ancestors I'm going back to visit?  I'm not social, don't enjoy bars, and prefer to imbibe at home but sitting in a pub has to be better than being Godbothered to death by people pretending they don't drink.  
      Fun unrelated fact - Martin Luther spent so much time on the toilet he had a desk built so he could work there, and would take meetings while actively pooping.   He also wrote letters to people with vivid descriptions of his poops.   That should make everyone feel a little better about their work place and emails.
      · 2 replies
  • Recent Blog Entries

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.