IGNORED

Praying for Resurrection

CarrotCake

2 hours ago, sableduck said:

My young cousin drowned and was eventually pronounced deceased at the ER after a lengthy attempted resuscitation.  All the combined bills before funeral charges were like $42,000.

That's so horrific to get that kind of bill on top of an already devastating situation. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 8

2 hours ago, Rachel333 said:

That's so horrific to get that kind of bill on top of an already devastating situation. 

Sounds very ‘Murrican to me, sadly. Late stage capitalism leads to really shitty occurrences.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 3

On 12/19/2019 at 4:02 PM, HereComesTreble said:

Not to paint with a broad brush, but Bethel would.  They were involved with the fake kidnapping of Sherri Papini--which also resulted in a 50k gofundme.

Regardless, I don't know if Olivia's death is a hoax or not.  I do know that this is a mess.

I hadn’t heard of Sherri Papini before so I just looked it up - so weird! It’s a 21st century version of the Canning Affair! Talk about history repeating.

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, Smee said:

I hadn’t heard of Sherri Papini before so I just looked it up - so weird! It’s a 21st century version of the Canning Affair! Talk about history repeating.

I have a lot to do today to get ready for Christmas.  Now, I can’t stop myself from researching a 18th century mystery...

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 6

On 12/27/2019 at 8:18 AM, Nikedagain? said:

So, has there been a funeral? 

I can’t find any references to it online but Olive’s Mum has deleted all comments off her Instagram. I’m guessing she’s gone silent for a while. Understandable - not only is she grieving the death of her precious baby, she also has to deal with charlatans trying to profit from and take advantage of the worst time of her life. 

• Upvote 5
  • Sad 1

https://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2019/december-web-only/wakeupolive-heiligenthal-bethel-church-miracle-doesnt-come.html

Two-year-old Olive Heiligenthal wasn’t raised from the dead. She fell asleep in her bed two weeks ago, and never woke up.

For six days, Bethel Church in Redding, California, and its followers prayed for Olive to be raised from the dead—singing, dancing, and declaring what they believed was God’s will, following the lead of Olive’s mother Kalley Heiligenthal, who wrote to her more than 250,000 Instagram followers, “Her time here is not done.” In an official statement, Bethel Church’s pastor, Bill Johnson, agreed. The popular but controversial church invited the world to ask God to #WakeUpOlive. But Olive didn’t wake up. Late on Friday, Dec. 20, Bethel Church announced that the family would begin planning a memorial service.

The events raise an important question: How do those suffering understand their pain when no miracles come? When sickness isn’t cured and children aren’t raised from the dead? What happens when our churches, songs, and social media posts place such a strong emphasis on declaring the removal of suffering rather than God’s willing solidarity with it? Shame.

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 9

Eek Bethel. One of my really good friends in college who grew up in LA went home after school and got involved with them. Her little sister went to BSSM in Redding. My friend went to LA School for the Arts , studied for a year in Paris in high school then went to Rhode Island School of Design. I went to Brown and she was dating a guy in AEPi the Jewish frat where I hung out. These are some very liberal, very unfundie schools. I went out to her wedding in like 2008-2009 I had no clue what she had gotten involved in. I sat with her pastor. He kept asking how long I had walked with the Lord. (My answer, well it's just so hard to keep a number on something like that. I was caught very off guard and didnt want to argue at my friend's wedding)

After her sister who I hit it off with invited me to IHOP in Pasadena. I was honest to god shocked when we didnt get to a delightful 24 hour chain pancake restaurant but to the original International House of Prayer. Some very strange stuff went on, tongues, screaming, all sorts of weird dancing, all very disjointed.

They don't post on facebook much so nothing about this tragedy but with some minor digging as of this year they're both still involved in the charismatic movement. She goes to HRock formerly Harvest Rock in LA.

If my super smart, super indepdent, super artsy, super liberal friend could become so deeply involved in this I can only imagine....

• Sad 7
  • Thank You 5

I dunno who to contact to see if maybe we could make this topic one about Bethel, BSSM, etc. in general. Would it be @Curious ?

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, zee_four said:

I dunno who to contact to see if maybe we could make this topic one about Bethel, BSSM, etc. in general. Would it be @Curious ?

If you want a topic about bethel make one. I don’t think that changing this one is necessarily appropriate though. 

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, zee_four said:

On the first page of this topic someone linked to two Bethel topics.

I was not aware of which church connection they had when I started this topic so that is why it is seperate but you could go on in one of those.

• Upvote 1

• 2 years later...

I know this is an old thread, but I happened to re-read it and clicked on Kalley’s Instagram. She had another baby in October, a girl called Sage. As crazy as the whole Olive resurrection saga was, it must be so tough for the Heiligenthals right now, particularly emotionally. 

• Thank You 2