IGNORED

Praying for Resurrection

CarrotCake

I don’t know if they are discussed somewhere but I ran into this Instagram account on the Fundiesnark Reddit. 

https://instagram.com/kalleyheili

Her daughter Olive passed away last weekend and they are praying for her to resurrect. 
It looks like they are pretty serious and a lot of people are commenting. I really wonder if they actually believe it is helping or if it is just a desperate attempt of hope for grieving parents.

Anyway, it is a very sad case.

Edited by Coconut Flan
  • Sad 15

I literally just saw someone else share this story on their Instagram story- do you know where they're from? I came across the post via a Monat hun that used to go to the same hairdresser as me in Indianapolis but recently moved to LA. 

• Upvote 1

She has a post about being relocated during the fires this summer. I am not from the US but I guess that means California?

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, CarrotCake said:

I don’t know if they are discussed somewhere but I ran into this Instagram account on the Fundiesnark Reddit. 

https://instagram.com/kalleyheili

Her daughter Olive passed away last weekend and they are praying for her to resurrect. 
It looks like they are pretty serious and a lot of people are commenting. I really wonder if they actually believe it is helping or if it is just a desperate attempt of hope for grieving parents.

Anyway, it is a very sad case.

I wonder if maybe the family is Mormon .  I don't mean to assume anything , it's just that I have heard of this case of a Mormon girl whom had scarlet fever , whom was brought back to life by their leader at the time , Lorenzo Snow .http://www.ldsliving.com/When-President-Snow-Called-a-Girl-Back-from-the-Dead-An-Incredible-Account-of-the-Spirit-World/s/82410  , https://www.ldsscriptureteachings.org/2016/12/13/ella-jensen-raised-from-the-dead-by-lorenzo-snow/  So perhaps they likewise believe that their own daughter could be resurrected , via the patriarchal blessing .  And at any rate , even if they are Pentecostal , or something , this just goes to show that no church has a monopoly on claims of the miraculous . 

• Upvote 2

I’m wondering if the child is still on life support and they’re resisting taking her off? That would make more sense. Otherwise, not to be morbid, but how would they be dealing with the body while praying for resurrection and so on? ?

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 4

She is part of Bethel Church in Redding, CA (and is on their music label). I don't know enough about that church to know if this is out of character.

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 1

This is heartbreaking. I replied to a comment on either fundiesnark or blogsnark about a family who lost a very young child and, while clearly grieving, stated that the child's story was meant to be short and they were thankful for being part of that story (paraphrase of a paraphrase). I feel like it's less traumatic in the long run to accept that some lives are shorter than others rather than begging god to bring someone back to life. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 2
  • I Agree 11
  • Love 1

54 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

I’m wondering if the child is still on life support and they’re resisting taking her off? That would make more sense. Otherwise, not to be morbid, but how would they be dealing with the body while praying for resurrection and so on? ?

She mentions that the kid is pronounced dead by doctors so I guess she is not on life support. That would make more sense indeed.

• Upvote 7

1 hour ago, NachosFlandersStyle said:

She is part of Bethel Church in Redding, CA (and is on their music label). I don't know enough about that church to know if this is out of character.

In that case no, it’s right up their alley. They do some really bizarre stuff. They’ll go to cemeteries to “soak” in the dead body’s spirit or power. 

• Upvote 6
  • WTF 10
  • Thank You 1

1 hour ago, NachosFlandersStyle said:

Bethel already has two threads, maybe a mod should convine them with this one? They seem to be a weird cult.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 3

46 minutes ago, CarrotCake said:

She mentions that the kid is pronounced dead by doctors so I guess she is not on life support. That would make more sense indeed.

That reminds me of the Jahi McMath case. 

Is there any indication of the cause of death??

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 3

This story reminds me of Larry and Lucky Parker and their poor son Wesley. A movie was even made about it called ‘Promised a Miracle.’ 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/people.com/archive/how-could-parents-let-a-child-die-tvs-promised-a-miracle-explores-a-tragic-case-of-misguided-faith-vol-29-no-19/amp/

The entire case makes me ragey. 

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, mango_fandango said:

The parents were out of town with friends (per their IG and the IG of the friends they were with) and the friend posted something about her basically not waking up/breathing when the babysitter went in to check on her in the morning.  But there wasn't any real expansion on it. The friend's post was written as they were driving back to Redding with Olive's parents (they had been in SF or the surrounding Wine Country area I think they said) where they had been when they got the call about Olive.

I'd guess they won't know for sure until an autopsy.

And for someone who asked, there are clips of a service from Bethel Redding this weekend where they allude to her (Olive) being at the coroner's office.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

31 minutes ago, mango_fandango said:

I was just coming here to say that.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, CarrotCake said:

Apparently she's at the coroner's office.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, singsingsing said:

’m wondering if the child is still on life support and they’re resisting taking her off? That would make more sense. Otherwise, not to be morbid, but how would they be dealing with the body while praying for resurrection and so on? ?

apparently the child is at the coroners office and has been pronounced dead by doctors (happened the 14th). When I first read this story I thought it was a grift for go fund me money (up to $18000+) but no - they really believe she will be resurrected.  How sad. What will happen  when she remains dead? I can't think the family will cope well. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 3

34 minutes ago, browngrl said:

What will happen  when she remains dead? I can't think the family will cope well. 

Exactly. Seems like a good way to take what's already a nightmare situation and add unnecessary guilt and disappointment to the mix.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 5

I've been following this in horror. This is going to make it so much more difficult for those parents in the long run. I can't believe the church had Kalley lead worship (videos here) the day after her child died.

4 hours ago, Walking Cat Bed said:

This is heartbreaking. I replied to a comment on either fundiesnark or blogsnark about a family who lost a very young child and, while clearly grieving, stated that the child's story was meant to be short and they were thankful for being part of that story (paraphrase of a paraphrase). I feel like it's less traumatic in the long run to accept that some lives are shorter than others rather than begging god to bring someone back to life. 

I think anything is less traumatic in the long run than this, but otherwise I think it depends on the person. I've also known people who found it very upsetting to think that their loved one was meant to die young (it's definitely not something anyone should ever say to a grieving family unless they know that's what the family wants to hear!), and instead found more peace in saying it was simply a tragedy.

• Upvote 2
  • WTF 1

13 hours ago, browngrl said:

When I first read this story I thought it was a grift for go fund me money (up to $18000+) but no - they really believe she will be resurrected.

I did find a GoFundMe that was set up with a request for $100,000.00. What would that amount of money be for? I'm not accusing them of trying to profit off of this but that does seem unnecessarily high to me. It was set up by the church and from what I can tell neither parent was actively involved in setting it up. It's up to just over $31,000.00 right now.

• Upvote 2
  • WTF 4

2 hours ago, Cat Damon said:

I'm not accusing them of trying to profit off of this but that does seem unnecessarily high to me.

I think you are probably right. There is delusion/fundie craziness and a desire to profit . I guess it is not that surprising - look how the Duggers/Bates act - to say nothing about people like DPIAT who always seemed to have his hand out for funds.

• Upvote 2

Those poor parents must be in hell - I hope they come to their senses at some point, and can mourn their daughter.

But the church setting up a GoFundMe? WTAF? If they really believe in resurrection, I was thinking, there is no need for money to wake Olive, since they say they believe prayer will do that. If God is going to bring her back, wouldn't he make her whole? So it can't be for medical bills. I doubt they are planning to fund her college if she comes back and grows up. And they don't think she'll stay dead, so it can't be for funeral costs.

So I went and looked at it. The heading on the GFM says something vague about expenses the family will incur, including medical bills. It also seems to acknowledge that Olive is gone:

Dear friends,

Early on December 14th, Kalley and Andrew Heiligenthal’s beautiful little girl, Olive Alayne, unexpectedly stopped breathing in her sleep. She was 2 years old, vivacious, full of wonder, full of life.

“We believe in a Jesus who died and conclusively defeated every grave, holding the keys to resurrection power. We need it for our little Olive Alayne, who stopped breathing yesterday and has been pronounced dead by doctors. We are asking for bold, unified prayers from the global church to stand with us in belief that He will raise this little girl back to life. Her time here is not done, and it is our time to believe boldly, and with confidence wield what King Jesus paid for. It’s time for her to come to life.” - Kalley Heiligenthal

Along with the overwhelming shock and devastation of losing their daughter are the unforeseeable expenses the Heiligenthal family will incur, medical and otherwise.

We have set up a gofundme in an effort to support the Heiligenthals. Please join us with your prayer, your solidarity, and your financial support.

I'm still not sure why money is needed, but, if they actually give it to the family (and the family doesn't donate it back to the church), I hope those parents use it for ongoing therapy. Unless their beliefs change radically, though, I can't help doubting they'd see the need. :sad:

• Upvote 5

I can't see a GFM here except for medical bills. But according to what I've seen, there weren't any?

• Upvote 1

Oh God, the denial runs deep in this family. It’s both ridiculous and sad. What’s even more crazy is the number of commenters who are praying for this to happen.

People don’t come back from the dead. Only Jesus did. Jesus didn’t die to “defeat every grave”, He died for our sins. 

The only instance of someone being raised from the dead in the Bible is Lazarus. It hasn’t happened to anyone else. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2

24 minutes ago, mango_fandango said:

People don’t come back from the dead. Only Jesus did. Jesus didn’t die to “defeat every grave”, He died for our sins. 

The only instance of someone being raised from the dead in the Bible is Lazarus. It hasn’t happened to anyone else. 

There are quite a few examples of people other than Jesus and Lazarus being raised from the dead in the Bible.  Here's a list. Jairus' daughter is the one in particular that a lot of people are referencing when talking about Olive.

43 minutes ago, Four is Enough said:

I can't see a GFM here except for medical bills. But according to what I've seen, there weren't any?

There are probably some, since the friend includes "the doctors who worked on her" in the list of people to pray for. If they tried for a while to revive her it could be pretty expensive, though I wouldn't think $100,000 worth.

Edited by Rachel333
  • Upvote 4
  • Thank You 1

I worry most about her older sibling. I hope they don't feel guilt in the future because they did not do something enough to make God resurrect their sibling. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 4