IGNORED

Dear Mr Morrison

adidas

11 hours ago, Ozlsn said:

You mean like NZ did? Yeah. It pissed me off enormously that people were blaming the guy who returned, quarantined and then tested positive in WA last month - he did everything the government required, got an exemption to travel. His reason fell within the guidelines - and seriously, after the amount of whinging about postponing weddings here last year you might think there would be some sympathy. 

His approval ratings keep going up - thanks Rupert! But yes, this mob are mediocre at best and incompetent at less than best. This, like so much if the rest of their tenure, could have been handled a lot better. At this rate I think Mark McGowan will end up PM - conservative enough for the right, middle enough for the rest, also gives a better impression of competence. 

Although I don't think Mark McGowan is actually all that competent in that regard. He keeps locking things down way too fast (personally I have an issue with the latest fad of 3 day lock downs, they do stuff all in regards to infection control and greatly damage smaller businesses), and shutting borders way too fast. Realistically there will be some 'leakage' from the facilities, and lockdowns should only occur when there is significant uptake, particularly when there are unknown links (i.e. I prefer NSW's approach).  I also don't get why people were so upset about the guy who left and came back, realistically if it wasn't him, it would have been someone else.

The Federal Government definitely isn't taking responsibility for their own mistakes and issues either. For some reason they have decided to remove their obligations and handover the Howard Springs Facility to the NT government as well.

I actually think that purpose built quarrantine facilities, in cities or near them (i.e. they open to outdoor balconies rather than an indoor corridor) wouldn't be a bad idea. If they set them up so they can be used as hotels when not in use as quarrantine then they don't need to be mothballed, and are available for use as appropriate.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

Truly it is the End Times as I appear to be in agreement with Andrew Bolt. 

21 minutes ago, Someone Out There said:

lockdowns should only occur when there is significant uptake, particularly when there are unknown links

Hm... speaking as a Victorian I'm in favour of avoiding the significant uptake part. The 3 day lock downs essentially slow spread by stopping people mingling as much, giving them time to test, trace and quarantine. They are a PITA though, and I feel for business owners who can't really plan around it.

24 minutes ago, Someone Out There said:

actually think that purpose built quarrantine facilities, in cities or near them (i.e. they open to outdoor balconies rather than an indoor corridor) wouldn't be a bad idea

That's basically being proposed here, although it is amusing me that the proposed site is near the PC4 animal facility. Not sure what the long term plan is in terms of facilities and buildings. Hotels were never designed for this purpose though and it shows.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Ozlsn said:

Truly it is the End Times as I appear to be in agreement with Andrew Bolt. 

Hm... speaking as a Victorian I'm in favour of avoiding the significant uptake part. The 3 day lock downs essentially slow spread by stopping people mingling as much, giving them time to test, trace and quarantine. They are a PITA though, and I feel for business owners who can't really plan around it.

That's basically being proposed here, although it is amusing me that the proposed site is near the PC4 animal facility. Not sure what the long term plan is in terms of facilities and buildings. Hotels were never designed for this purpose though and it shows.

I should add I don't mean 100's of people being infected per day as it was in Victoria, something closer to what was occurring in NSW/Sydney around Christmas where parts were shut down for about 3 weeks. Shutting down for 1 person, who is easily traced as to where they obtained the virus (i.e. they work at a quarrantine facility) to me is pointless particularly if they are regularly getting tested. If you have a couple of unknown source cases that can't be figured out in a day or 2 then I would lean more towards a lockdown.

Victoria was significantly let down by it's tracing system (and then it's backlog).

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

I'm not going to comment on Quarantine because I'm in SA and we've been really lucky here. I've seen other states being bounced around with snap restrictions so I really hope something satisfactory is worked out for you.

As for future PM's, I don't know much about McGowan but my biggest fear is that we'll end up with either Frydenberg or that ghastly potato Dutton. 

In fact, I'm tired of mediocre, middle-aged, white men in charcoal suits. I'm sick of politicians with no ideas and no will to do anything other than maintain their power. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 2

1 minute ago, Katzchen24 said:

As for future PM's, I don't know much about McGowan but my biggest fear is that we'll end up with either Frydenberg or that ghastly potato Dutton. 

Both of those terrify me to be honest. I can't prove this idea came from Dutton but it's certainly right up his alley.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

Out of the two I would prefer Frydenberg though neither would be great, the main reason we have Scomo now is because Dutton was the other option, although at least they would have lost the last election if Dutton was in the top job. I was kind of surprised that Dutton was moved from Home Affairs to Defence actually.

• I Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Someone Out There said:

Shutting down for 1 person, who is easily traced as to where they obtained the virus (i.e. they work at a quarrantine facility)

I guess it depends a bit on how much they've been in the community before being identified, and how many contacts they might have had. The last shutdown here was because one of the positives worked in food service at the Jetstar terminal - it really was difficult to see how many people they could potentially had contact with, and how much it could spread before coming under control. It's a weird kind of normal though - I don't obsessively turn to the ABC coronavirus live blog every morning, but I still check it daily just in case. 

I really hope we can get through winter ok.

• 2 months later...

Why was Katie Hopkins allowed into Australia when so many citizens are still stranded overseas? I'm annoyed anyway at the fact that sports teams and stars can jet about as much as they want when there's still large numbers of Australians stuck overseas because of the restrictions on international travel. Why did Channel 7 contract that poisonous POS to appear on Big Brother in the first place?

I don't understand any of the decisions that resulted in Hopkins coming here, and can only hope she gets shuffled onto a plane and sent away ASAP.

• I Agree 3

2 hours ago, Katzchen24 said:

Why did Channel 7 contract that poisonous POS to appear on Big Brother in the first place?

They wanted "controversy". They got it, along with a boycott of show advertisers. Seriously we have that many home-grown wing-nut Z grade celebs you'd think they could have found one if toxic racist bigot was what they were after. 

As to why the visa was approved - Home Affairs apparently read the room as well as channel 7 do.

I don't understand any of the decisions that resulted in Hopkins coming here, and can only hope she gets shuffled onto a plane and sent away ASAP.

On the positive side her visa has been cancelled and I hope she is fined and/or charged over the hotel quarantine breaches before being deported.

I'm annoyed anyway at the fact that sports teams and stars can jet about as much as they want when there's still large numbers of Australians stuck overseas because of the restrictions on international travel.

In total agreement. Olympic athletes, Tony Abbott, business people are all good to go - but forget trying to get home, or let your parents travel with your 18 month old. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Ozlsn said:

In total agreement. Olympic athletes, Tony Abbott, business people are all good to go - but forget trying to get home, or let your parents travel with your 18 month old. 

Tony Abbott has travelled overseas? I suppose it's too much to ask that he be refused the right to return until after all this is over. 

ABC has just reported that Hopkins is to be deported (I guess inevitable given that her visa was cancelled; I assume it means she won't appeal the cancellation). 

ABC News reporting on Hopkins deportation

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, Katzchen24 said:

Tony Abbott has travelled overseas? I suppose it's too much to ask that he be refused the right to return until after all this is over. 

Unfortunately we missed the boat on leaving him stranded at least twice.

One of my siblings works for the federal govt and has travelled overseas for work twice in the last 18 months (usually it'd be every quarter at least). There is obviously travel happening - but seriously, inbound for reality TV is utterly ridiculous. 

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

Just what exactly is this massive POS doing, addressing parliamentarians (article linked here)? And what kind of an asshole do you have to be to think he has anything to say that's worth listening to. I had a look at some pictures taken during his lecture, and naturally Pauline Hanson was sitting in the front row. I'm pretty sure I also spotted Sussan Ley in the audience, and of course ScoMo was there.

Ugh.

Screen Shot 2022-11-24 at 8.18.39 pm.png

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

Well they censured him, finally. I am absolutely disgusted that only one LNP voted in favour, and even more disgusted at the photos of them crowding around to offer sympathy. To quote Helen Haines, his excuses don't add up. If what he wanted was redundancy due to the pandemic then why the secrecy? Why not shout it from the rooftops as evidence of preparedness? Why not make sure the lines of command in case of half of Cabinet being incapacitated were absolutely clear - to staff, the ministers themselves, and the public?

Seriously it's the same line of thinking that led to him lying about being in Hawaii rather than just saying "I'm on leave, my capable Deputy PM will be in charge - if it looks like I'm needed I'll be back in a week."

Now can the voters in Cook please finally kick him out??

• Upvote 2

I've never understood why this happened either. I just don't get it. As @Ozlsn said, there were already clear lines of authority, and if new ones were needed, then they could have been done publicly. I'm 100% convinced there was more to this urge of his to have control than has been explained. Maybe it can be written off as some kind of patriarchal Christian authoritarian brain fart, I don't know.

What I do know, is that if some kind of plan is needed in case large parts of the government are incapacitated, then:

1. Why don't we have a plan for this already?
  2. Make a plan and make it public, with clear guidelines about applicability.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

• 1 year later...

Wow, some sucker employer offered Morrison a job in the US and he's leaving politics . About. Time.

I am going to take a stab and guess it's through his religious connections rather than his political ones.

Amusing that we lost the former ministers for Health, Treasury, Finance, Home Affairs and resources as well as the former Prime Minister all in one day! It's a bloodbath!!

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

And he's whinging that he can't "appropriately educate" his daughters on a backbencher salary.  Apparently he didn't manage to save anything from 5 years of being PM, plus the years prior as a minister.

Personally I think he should have to live on JobSeeker - well, tbh I think he should be prosecuted over RoboDebt, have to pay damages and then have to live on JobSeeker. 

I hope his daughters become educated and move far, far away from their father's toxic religious beliefs. 

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, Ozlsn said:

I am going to take a stab and guess it's through his religious connections rather than his political ones.

My partner and I were discussing this exact same thing! I bet Scummo gets himself a cushy job with some kind of evangelical-affiliated organisation. What a creep. 

Just out of curiosity, I had a look at Tony Abbott's wikipedia entry to see what that reactionary POS is up to these days. Looks like he's doing quite well for himself supporting a whole bunch of unsurprisingly horrible things:

• Feb 2023 joined the Global Warming Policy Foundation (climate sceptic organisation) as a board member;
  • Jul 2023 position with New Direction, an organisation associated with European Conservatives and Reformists Organisation. Following the link will take you to a page which includes a headline about how Critical Race Theory is dividing the US 🤯
  • Nov 2023 given a Board seat at Fox Corporation.

• Thank You 3